Dr. Charles Zacks, MD

Dr. Charles Zacks, MD

Ophthalmology | Male

Dr. Charles Zacks, MD is an ophthalmology doctor who practices in Portland, ME. He is 59 years old and has been practicing for 33 years. Dr. Zacks is affiliated with Maine Medical Center.

Dr. Zacks' Experience

See how Dr. Zacks' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Zacks

Dr. Zacks accepts 11 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Zacks has admitting privileges.

Dr. Zacks' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Zacks to family and friends
Dr. Zacks' Performance
in Portland, ME |
I had cataract surgery in both eyes last month. The total experience and outcome was great. The staff at Maine Eye Center were totally helpful. The procedures went smoothly, there was minimal discomfort and followup was excellent. Dr. Zachs was professional and informative. His reputation with his peers as an outstanding eye surgeon is fully deserved. I will recommend him without reservation. C. Voss, M.D.
Yarmouth , ME |
Years ago specialists in Boston and in Nashua, NH had told me I had a progressive eye disorder, so when I moved to Maine I needed a corneal specialist. My eye sight was deteriorating. I was referred to Dr Zacks who correctly diagnosed and treated me. My eye sight improved significantly, but alas I needed cataract surgery, which I had done recently. Dr Zacks did a great job. He is personable, and he and his staff listen and respond to my concerns and questions.
in Old Orchard Beach, ME |
I have gone to Dr. Zacks for many years with the exception of a space in time I was away. I had no issue at all with anything in that office. The wait time was just fine, the rod and staff....oh how they comforted me! I was a nervous Nelly when I had two surgeries there and gosh, they were awesome and, everything the told me to expect was, right on. My follow up appointments were great, very organized with seeing surgical people early morning, in/out. Good Luck!
Boston, MA |
I had cataract surgery on both eyes. I had been to other opthamologists performing this surgery in Maine and was put off. But dr. Zacks and his staff were extraordinary. There is an extra level of professionalism at dr Zacks practice. He is interested in his patients, and kind. I cannot praise my experience more highly.
in Kennebunkport, ME |
I recently had cataract surgery with Dr. Zacks, and am exceptionally satisfied with the results. Dr. Zacks’ mission was not the easiest as I am extremely near sighted. The operation was painless, and my eyesight improved dramatically. Dr. Zacks is very knowledgeable, caring and kind. He answered all of my questions, and made me feel confident in his ability to help me. His staff was very courteous and helpful. Yes, I strongly recommend Dr. Zacks for cataract surgery.
in camden me |
Excellent. Together my spouse and I have seen a number of eye doctors and are able to compare. Dr. Zacks is by far most professional and worthy of patients confidence
in Winthrop, ME |
Very thorough, explains things clearly so that I understand, kind and reassuring. I felt he did a very complete exam, and put me at ease.
in Peaks Island, ME |
I am a 35-year patient of the Maine Eye Clinic, primarily with the wonderful Frank Read, M.D., retired by the time of my right-side cataract-removal/lens-replacement in April 2016. In the six-month run-up to that procedure, I met with Dr. Zacks twice, leading me to be very comfortable with him and the anticipated surgery. The surgery/followup were excellently handled by him. I was especially grateful for my complication-free recovery, as my wife had shoulder surgery at nearly the same time.
in Portland, ME |
Preoperatively, I had two high risk eye conditions. Despite that, the surgery was successful, there were no complications, and my vision afterwards in the operated eye was 20/15. It was difficult surgery for Dr. Zacks, but he gave as much time as was needed to do a good job. I recognize that as exemplary of the highest skill and ethical standards. It is clear to me that Dr. Zacks likes his work and that for him, the patient comes first.
in South Portland , ME |
I am a RN and Dr Zacks did cataract surgery on both eyes. I had an excellent experience with him.& would highly recommend him to everyone .i have been an RN since 1967 so I have had enough experience with doctors to know that he is an excellent MD. Carol Robinson RN
in Rockland, ME |
Dr. Charles M. Zacks, M.D. performed surgery on my right eye on April 21st to remove a growth known as a Pterygium, commonly known as surfers eye. Dr. Zacks explained the procedure and every pertinent aspect of the delicate surgery and recovery time. I underwent surgery and found it to be a pleasant experience due to his professionalism and quality of his staff. Dr. Zacks is a Master at his craft and I was amazed at how quickly I recovered. I am most grateful for this professional ! Thank you
in Standish, ME |
Excellent experience. I would highly recommend Dr Zacks and the Maine Eye Center for all ophthalmology needs. My cataract surgery was quick and easy, the staff was caring and efficient. Thanks to Dr Zacks for giving me better vision than I've had in years!
in Saco, ME |
Dr. Zacks was highly recommended and worth the wait for the appointment for my recent cataract surgery. He is patient, kind and caring and explained the details of the surgery in easy to understand language. I am very satisfied with results of my surgery and would recommend Dr. Zacks.
in Portland, ME |
I highly recommend Dr Zacks. He did surgery on my eye to remove a cataract and did an excellent job. The operation went smoothly and I have had no problems with my eye since. He is easy to talk to and does a very good job at explaining things. If I have another eye problem, I will definitely go back to him.
Have you seen Dr. Charles Zacks, MD?
Are you Dr. Zacks?

Compare Dr. Zacks

Dr. Zacks says...

Dr. Zacks treats medical and surgical problems of the anterior segment of the eye, including:

1. Cataract, complex cataract, pediatric cataract
  2. Lens implant complications, exchanges
  3. Corneal disorders requiring endothelial transplants (DSEK)
  4. Corneal disorders requiring full thickness corneal transplant
  5. Transplant complications
  6. Pterygium
  7. Inflammatory disorders of the eye
  8. Infectious disorders of the eye
  9. Herpetic disorders (Herpes Zoster, Simplex)
  10. Pigmented and non-pigmented tumors of the ocular surface
  11. Anterior segment trauma

If your issue is not listed, Dr. Zacks' staff can answer questions about specific problems, and can refer in whole or in part to other specialists as necessary.

Dr. Zacks says...

1. Cataract surgery; complex cataract
  2. IOL exchange
  3. Pediatric cataract (in cooperation with Dr. Berman)
  4. Endothelial keratoplasty (partial thickness transplant)
  5. Full thickness keratoplasty (corneal transplant)
  6. Pterygium excision
  7. Ocular surface tumor removal
  8. Anterior segment trauma reconstruction

Dr. Zacks' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Ophthalmology
  •  Board certified in Ophthalmology
  •  Malpractice claims in Maine not available

Dr. Zacks has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Maine.

Why It Matters: Dr. Zacks' Board Certifications

Bascom Palmer Eye Institute

Completed in 1990

Brown University

Graduated in 1980

Dr. Zacks does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Zacks and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Ophthalmology

• Anterior Vitrectomy
  • Cataract Removal Surgery
  • Coreoplasty
  • Cornea Surgery
  • Cornea Transplant
  • Descemet's Stripping With Endothelial Keratoplasty (DSEK)
  • Excision or Destruction of Lesion of Cornea