Neurosurgery  |
Dr. Charles Toussaint, MD
Dr. Charles Toussaint, MD is a neurosurgery doctor who practices in West Columbia, SC. He is 40 years old and has been practicing for 14 years. Dr. Toussaint is affiliated with Lexington Medical Center.

146 N Hospital Dr

• Health Net
  • HealthPlus

Learn about Dr. Toussaint

Dr. Toussaint's Experience

Dr. Toussaint's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Neurosurgery
  • Board certified in Neurosurgery

• Neurosurgery

• Neurosurgery
    Accredited by: American Board of Neurological Surgery*

• Bone Cancer
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Neck Pain
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Nerve Sheath Tumors

• Craniotomy
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Incision and Removal of Foreign Object
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminectomy
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spinal Tumor Surgery
  • Spine Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for South Carolina.

• Medical University Of South Carolina
    Medical School | Graduated 2003
  • Loyola University Med Center
  • Perelman School Of Medicine University Of Pennsylvania
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Toussaint has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Toussaint does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Toussaint and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Toussaint's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Toussaint to family and friends
4.5
Dr. Toussaint's Performance
in Irmo, SC |
On July 12th, 2017, Dr. Toussaint gave my husband quality of life again after a failed back surgery 3 years ago! My husband was unable to walk any distance without sitting down, sometimes in the middle of town. Shopping was out of the question, much less ant trips planned for our retirement! Now no more numbness or pain, he is walking and his attitude is happy again! Dr. T is patient, listens carefully and is never in a hurry. All this in a timely manner, we are eternally gratefull!
in Irmo SC |
I had back surgery 2 times before I saw Dr toussaint and was still barely able to walk , after my surgery by Dr toussaint I was amazed by the results , no pain at all , he is the best surgeon ever absolutely the best
in Gilbert, SC |
Dr. Toussaint is very professional. He has so much compassion for his patients. That is very hard to find these days. I was scheduled to have back surgery. The day before my surgery he decided that he thought it was a nerve in my leg. He told me he would rather try surgery on my leg first because the back surgery would be exploratory. He wanted to avoid that if possible. It turned out that the nerve in my leg was the problem. I had pretty much lost faith in doctors until I met him.
in Irmo, SC |
Dr. Toussaint and his fellow staff performed my spinal fusion, and I could not be happier with the professionalism, skill and empathy displayed by all involved. Before we even settled on the procedure, he was very thorough in explaining what my options were, and answering my questions and concerns. He clearly explained what would be involved in the procedure, and what to expect both short term and long term. Surgery itself went very well. Top marks all around.
in Columbia, SC |
Outstanding care. Severe spinal stenosis and completely reversed. I can not recommend too highly.
in Columbia, SC |
Dr. Toussaint is an excellent Neurosurgeon. I had a triple laminectomy on January 9, 2017. On April 6, 2017 I had my last post-op visit. Amazing! Dr. Toussaint and his staff were very supportive throughout the process. I told Dr. Toussaint on my last visit, if I had know that I would feel this good after surgery I would have done it sooner. Thank you for allowing me to return to my active life style. I highly recommend Dr. Toussaint.
in Leesville, Sc |
He is an incredible doctor with a wonderful team and he gave me a new life.
West Columbia, SC |
Dr. Toussaint was very interested in what I had to say. He was patient, caring, and willing to help me find a solution without having to do surgery.
in Prosperity SC |
He fixed me right up!! After years of pain and suffering, he and NPA Melissa took care of my complicated lower back issues. It wasn't a 1-inch incision, but he addressed even issues left over from previous surgery and I've been going great since. Thanks Dr T and Nurse Melissa!!
in Columbia, SC |
Very skilled, professional, considerate, and kind, as was his assistant during my surgery (Melissa Crouch). The procedures for my severe cervical stenosis were complex, though results were very successful.
in Columbia, SC |
Dr. Toussaint performed lumbar surgery on me in 2013. Fused L3,4&5 and S1&2 with titanium. I felt 100 % in good hands with him & Melissa, his Nurse Practioner. Great communication, bedside manner, & yet very professional. Follow his instructions & you will recover quicker than you ever thought & remain feeling well. Thanks Dr. Toussaint & Melissa. I sent my MRI & his written report to two well respected neurosurgeons in NC & GA for a 2nd & 3rd report. They agreed with his decision & plan.
in Columbia, SC |
Excellent experience from start to finish. Office staff was very friendly and efficient. All procedures were thoroughly explained to me and my family. Dr. Toussaint, his NP Melissa and all the PA's were very professional and managed my pain very well. What was very extensive cervical stenosis (4 hour surgery) was one of the best managed surgical procedures I have ever had. I could not be more pleased with this great group of people and highly recommend them.
in West Columbia, SC |
My appointment was a second opinion before having cervical spine surgery. As a singer and voice teacher, I was very concerned with the risk of damage to the nerve involved with speech. Unlike the first surgeon, Dr. Toussaint was very considerate of my concern, taking time to explain the surgery and the risks. He explained 2 ways the procedure could be performed to minimize the risk of vocal injury, the other surgeon did not. I have already recommended Dr. Toussaint to my sister.
Columbia, SC |
Very pleased with Dr. Toussaint. He spend a great deal of time with me. Answered all my questions and confidently recommended a treatment plan.
in Lexington, SC |
Great surgeon- highly recommended. I experienced a quick recovery from neck fusion surgery without complications. Greatly appreciated his talent and extra care in resolving my pain issues. The office is very efficient and timely.
in Columbia, SC |
I was recommended to Dr. Toussaint by my primary Care Physician. She has the awesome responsibility of caring for my health the past nineteen years. Her recommendation of Dr. Toussaint came with an assurance factor of telling me he was the best. He preformed back and arm nerve surgery on me and everything went according to plan. He was excellent and my recovery came without a hitch. I would allow him to do it over and over again because I trust him and his team to do it right.
in Lexington, SC |
When my husband was admitted to the ER after a fall down a flight of stairs, we began to hear how great Dr. Toussaint was. All the praise was well deserved. He made us feel extremely comfortable and secure before, and after the surgery. He explained everything to us but made no promises that he couldn't keep. We highly recommend him....Don't look any further.
in West Columbia, SC |
Saw the PA my first visit. I was not important enough for his care. Sad that he will try defending himself to negative comments but not post a thank you to the positive. He has great credentials and that was why I went to see him. If I was unimportant for a first appointment then I don't think I want his PA to do surgery on me. I feel if a patient is not going to see a doctor on their first appointment then they need to be told that on the phone.
in PELION |
My experience with my recent first visit was very good. The staff were kind and helpful. I was seen on time. Dr. Toussaint was professional, he took his time and answered all my questions and due to other serious health issues I have he took time to discuss other options I might choose. I would recommend him
in Swansea, SC |
Excellent care from he and his staff before, during and after surgery. The entire process was the best care I have ever received by any medical professionals.
in Chapin, SC |
Dr. Toussaint is very knowledgeable and caring . I will highly recommend Dr. T to friends and family.
in Irmo, SC |
Dr. Toussaint is very straight forward in explaining his findings, as well as listening to you. The plan of action was thoroughly discussed in plain English. I feel very comfortable with his diagnosis and decisions on the course of action. I would highly recommend his services to all.
in Lexington, South Carolina |
He is A great Doctor.
in Edgefield, SC |
I found Dr. Toussaint to be very friendly, but more importantly I immediately felt confident with his diagnosis and surgical plan. He explained everything thoroughly and answered all of my questions. He performed L4-5 lower back fusion in June, and the procedure has greatly reduced my pain. I would highly recommend Dr. Toussaint to family or friends!
in Columbia, SC |
Professional atmosphere; courteous staff; willingness to hear what I have to say about me and my feelings
in Chapin, SC |
My husband was experiencing severe back pain and loss of gait. Dr. Toussaint performed lumbar fusion and laminectiomy surgery. Prior to surgery he did a thorough exam and testing. He then mapped out his recommendation and answered all our questions. He and his assistant, Melissa Crouch, convey excellent knowledge, skill, care and concern for the patient. The office staff are kind and efficient as well. My husband is doing excellent since the surgery.
in Rock Hill, SC |
I had put off getting my spine fixed for 5 years due to an experience I had with another practice. When I went to Lexington Brain and Spine institute, I immediately knew that I had made the right choice. The degree of professionalism was amazing. Dr. Focussing and his staff took the time with me to ensure that I was informed and educated about my choices.i had my spine fixed from c-3 through c-7. It has only been a month since surgery and I am doing more than I have been able to do in years.
in Lexington, SC |
Dr. T did my husband's second laminectomy in 6 years. Being a retired RN I was ready for a challenging experience. Dr. T and his NP's and PA's were professional, knowledgeable, skillful, and empathetic. We were well informed, listened to and accommodated. Dr. T and staff are pleasant and timely. They rounded 3x/day while in-patient. Our expectations were met and exceeded. The whole experience could not have been better. Dr. T's assessments and skills are spot on. We are so pleased.
in West Columbia, SC |
Dr. Toussaint was very professional, informative, and kind. He explained the surgeries in detail and answered all my questions. I felt very secure in the knowledge that he is an expert in his field and received excellent care during my pre-op, surgery, and post-op care. I would definitely recommend him to family and friends.
in Chapin, SC |
I recently suffered from a traumatic brain injury. I was first sent to another practice where I felt unimportant and forgotten. The hopelessness of my physical and emotional condition had me in a very dark place. I was sent to Dr. Toussaint. He walked in the room, sat down and really listened to me. He has treated me, eased, my physical suffering and given me hope. Knowing he is only a phone call away (his words) has made me feel safe which has been a huge help with my emotional healing.
in Gaston SC |
The comments I read below that you directed obviously former patients eventually come back around I believe in karma Dr. Toussaint do you? I personally promise to become your karma by word of mouth as well as reporting your actions to any & everybody that I can find to report how you have no time or compassion to sit with a patient to answer questions I know you've been paid is that when you decide a patient no longer deserves respect & when you become unprofessional ?? Do the right thing!!
in Columbia, SC |
I had my second herniated disk surgery in six years a month ago. This surgery was done by Dr. Toussaint and was remarkably better than the first one. Dr. Toussaint and his physicians assistant have been wonderful! Very responsive, informative and willing to help however needed. I highly recommend him and his staff. Michele
in Lexington, SC |
I saw Dr Toussaint and underwent an anterior cervical spine fusion after more than 10 years of worsening pain. I do not particularly like going to doctors so was pleased to find Dr Toussaint was willing to spend the time needed to explain the procedure in detail and answer all my questions. His office staff is prompt, friendly and efficient. My postoperative course has been very smooth with complete resolution of my pain which was limiting my work activities and ruining my sleep.
in Cary, NC but surgery in Columbia, SC |
Two years ago today we had the scare of our lives when our barely 18 year old daughter was in a severe car accident that resulted in a spinal fusion surgery by Dr. Toussaint. He did an excellent job and really went out of his way to keep checks on her after the surgery and to explain everything to us. Because of him, she is able to cheer again and we are forever grateful for the wonderful care he took of her.
Irmo, SC |
Dr toussaint did an amazing job for my husbands discectomy l4 l5. He tried to send to specialist for a shot in the back before doing surgery but that didn't work. Dr T made room in his schedule to be able to do surgery within the week. My husband said that the back surgery was nothing to be scared of with care from Dr T.
in Martin,SC |
My mom has been a patient of Dr. Toussaint since the early 2000's. My experience with him wasn't until recently when my mom had to get a battery replacement for her Stimulator. Dr. Toussaint and his staff has been very gracious, nice, patient, respect and has really listened to my mom and her concerns. I would definitely recommend friends, family and others who need a GOOD, DECENT and HONEST doctor.
in Bishopville, SC |
Great Doctor he was very informative on my problem with my spine as well as his nurse practitioner who was also great and very informative! Doing great after my surgery thanks to Dr Toussaint and his team!
Columbia, SC |
I would not recommend him he was very disrespectful he told me to live with the pain I have 5 bulged disc and a herniated disk and muscle tears he is not military friendly if your in the service tell your PCM to reassign you to someone else
As a member of the Armed Forces and the provider of care to many of our military members, I take pride in giving the highest level of neurosurgical care to these members and their dependents. I take into account how possible interventions could affect one's status in the military. I do not have surgical solutions for every patient that sees me,particularly if I feel that surgery will not help his or her condition.
in west columbia, sc |
Very sad that I cannot comment on his surgical skills, which he told me were the best in the state, because he was such a Diva about respecting HIM and what HE could do I never got to the point of what he could do for me. He needs to look into his customer relations a bit and get off of his high horse. Will be rescheduling with another Dr. who may appreciate his patients.
I Strive to provide the highest level of neurosurgical care as well as courtesy and respect to every patient. I ask every patient and their family to also provide courtesy and respect to my office staff.
in Charlotte, NC |
Pompous , arrogant know it all with bad nursing staff, uses his PA and if you see him it's a miracle. Has short temper. His ego is bigger than his brain. Terrible experience.
I have no record that you were seen in my office. However, We strive to provide the highest level of care for patients.
Have you seen Dr. Charles Toussaint, MD?

Visit Dr. Toussaint

• Husky Health
  • inHealth
  • INTotal Health
    Medicaid
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • MedCost