Dr. Charles Floyd, MD

Dr. Charles Floyd, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery | Male

Our goal is to help you get through your spinal injury or disorder to regain a normal, active and painfree life. It is our responsibility to look at each patient with an integrated, holistic approach, not just considering your spine, but you as a whole individual because so many other health concerns impact your spine.

We can coordinate the entire range of spine treatment, but our office focuses primarily on surgical interventions. I have been a practicing orthopaedic surgeon since 1989, and have completed three Fellowships in Complex Spine Surgery, including complex adult spinal reconstruction. I have the training and experience to offer the broadest range of treatment options, reserving surgery only for when absolutely necessary.

We refer to a vast number of highly qualified, professional health care providers for people with spinal problems who need other treatment options, such as physical therapy, chiropractic care, acupuncture, weight loss, smoking cessation, etc.

My father was Air Force pilot and later a pilot for Eastern Air Lines, so we moved around every couple of years.  This gave me a broad exposure to many parts of the United States.  I chose to live in Idaho because of the people, the natural beauty and resources, the recreational activities, and the excellent medical community.

I wanted to be a physician since about age 6 and devoted my life to attaining that goal.  I chose surgery, then orthopaedic surgery, then finally spine surgery as my area of specialization.  I trained at top centers around the world in order to become the best spine surgeon I could be.  Spine surgery is complex and challenging, and it provides a great opportunity to make a real difference in peoples lives.  It is the best job I could imagine.

When my wife and I first moved to Idaho we started in Sun Valley where I cared for Olympic and professional athletes, sports medicine and spine surgery.  After nine years I advanced my training by going to the Johns Hopkins University to study under the world's top adult spinal deformity surgeon, Dr. John Kostuik.  We returned to Idaho and moved to Boise, where I first practiced with Boise Orthopedic Clinic.  In 2012 I started a solo, independent practice.

My interests outside of medicine include activities that I can enjoy with my wife, whom I met on the first day of my internship in 1982.  We have a small ranch where we raise horses.  We both enjoy long trail rides.  My other life-long interest is photography.  We also ski, hike and travel.

I joined the United States Army after 9/11 at the age of 47 and was deployed with the 934th Forward Surgical Team to far forward positions during the invasion of Iraq in 2003.  It was the most profound experience of my life.

Dr. Floyd's Experience

See how Dr. Floyd's experience matches your preferences.

View Video

Visiting Dr. Floyd

Dr. Floyd accepts 20 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Floyd has admitting privileges.

Dr. Floyd's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Floyd to family and friends
    4.5
    Dr. Floyd's Performance
    in Meridian, ID |
    Sincere and caring. Takes all the time with you that is needed. Felt very confident having him fuse most of my spine.
    Thank you, Doreen. It's been such a pleasure getting to know you.
    in Boise, ID |
    Very cautious, practical, realistic, honest, caring, and extremely capable individual. If you do not need surgery, he will recommend alternatives. He spends whatever time you need and explains everything carefully and easy to understand. I had neck and back surgery including fusions and multiple stenosis resolutions. I can walk without pain for the first time in 30 years. It has been 14 months since my last surgery and I am doing great. Cannot recommend him enough!
    Thanks, Katie. We go back a long time and you've been great.
    in Boise, ID |
    I recently had spinal surgery (cervical disc replacement) and I cannot be happier with my experience with Dr. Floyd and his entire staff. They took absolutely great care of me.
    Glad to know it, Dale. You did awesome!
    Have you seen Dr. Charles Floyd, MD?

Dr. Floyd's Care Philosophy

Dr. Floyd says...

Timothy Floyd, MD is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. He earned his medical degree from the University of Florida in Gainesville, and trained at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City and the San Francisco Orthopedic Residency Program.

He completed spine fellowships at the Texas Back Institute and Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, where he currently holds a teaching position. Dr. Floyd was awarded the North American Spine Society (NASS) traveling fellowship to spine centers throughout North America and Europe, and was elected by his peers to "Best Doctors," a national organization that recognizes leading physicians.

Dr. Floyd has particular expertise in treating adult spinal deformity and other degenerative conditions of the spine.

Dr. Floyd says...

Dr. Floyd trained at the top spine surgery institutions world wide, including San Francisco, Dallas, Cleveland, Switzerland, Germany, and Italy among other locations.

For adult deformity he trained with Dr. John Kostuik at Johns Hopkins University, where he was offered a faculty position.  He instead chose to return to Idaho.  For complex cervical surgery he worked with Dr. Dieter Grob of Zurich.  Dr. Boriani of Bologna is a leading spine tumor surgeon.

Dr. Floyd was the first spine surgeon in Idaho to be trained and certified on Artificial Disc Replacement.  He has performed more of these procedures than any other surgeon in the state.

Dr. Floyd currently is the only surgeon with the expertise to manage complex fracture dislocations of the spine and pelvis.

Dr. Floyd's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery
    •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
    •  Malpractice claims in Idaho not available

Dr. Floyd has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Idaho.

Why It Matters: Dr. Floyd's Board Certifications

• Lordosis
    • Lumbar Spine Fracture
    • Nerve Injury
    • Nerve Pain
    • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
    • Pathological Spine Fracture

Graduated in 1976

• Other Education
      North American Spine Society Traveling Fellowship

Completed in 1999

Dr. Floyd does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Floyd and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery
    • Adult Orthopedic Surgery
    • Orthopedic Neck Surgery

• Artificial Disc Replacement
    • Carpal Tunnel Release
    • Herniated Disc Surgery
    • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
    • Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery