Ophthalmology  |
Dr. Chad Zatezalo, MD
Dr. Chad Zatezalo relocated to the Washington area in 2012 from the renowned Bascom Palmer Eye institute in Miami Florida, ranked #1 by US News and World Report. After several fruitful years at Washington Eye, he now heads The Zatezalo Group, a combined oculofacial plastics and ophthalmology center in Northern Bethesda. In addition, he serves as a consultant for the Sanctuary Cosmetic Center and the Center For Facial Nerve Recovery. Dr. Zatezalo is a fellow of the American Society of Ophtlamic Plastics and Reconstructive Surgeons and the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He specializes exclusively in plastic, reconstructive and cosmetic surgery of the eyelids, surrounding tissue and upper face in addition to ophthalmology. His highly specialized training in both oculofacial plastics and ophthalmology allows him to understand the importance of the functional aspect of the eyelid and upper face while performing cosmetic surgery. As a well rounded oculoplastics surgeon, his scope of practice ranges from facial cosmetic surgery including facial rejuvenation, revisional surgeries, browplasty (forehead lift), blepharoplasty (lid lift), to periocular cancers and reconstructions, tear drainage disorders, lid abnormalities and orbital oncology, inflammatory disorders and anophthalmic sockets. Dr. Zatezalo also specializes in nonsurgical facial rejuvenation including neurotoxins (e.g. Botox, Dysport), dermal fillers (e.g. JuveDerm, Restylane), and scar revisions. He is a fellow both of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastics & Reconstructive Surgeons and completed a two year accredited ASOPRS fellowship at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute in Miami, FL. He has been an invited lecturer nationally and has published numerous articles and book chapters during his career. His research interests include methods to minimize surgical incision lines, intra-operative pain control, the use of high resolution ultrasound for the identification of lacrimal system abnormalities, and the treatment of congenital anophthalmos. Dr. Zatezalo is committed to customizing results to achieve a natural youthful appearance for each patient.

5454 Wisconsin Ave Ste 950

• Medica
  • Worker's Compensation

Learn about Dr. Zatezalo

Dr. Zatezalo's Experience

Dr. Zatezalo's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Ophthalmology

• Contusion of the Eyeball
  • Corneal Abrasion or Laceration
  • Corneal Diseases
  • Corneal Ulcer
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Dry Age-Related Macular Degeneration

• Reconstructive Eyelid Surgery
  • Repair of Brow Ptosis and Blepharoptosis
  • Repair of Entropion or Ectropion
  • Tear Duct Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Maryland.

• University of Virginia
    Undergraduate School | Graduated
  • MT SINAI SCH OF MED OF NY UNIV
    Medical School | Graduated 2006
  • Mount Sinai Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2010
  • Bascom Palmer Eye Inst U Miami
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2012

Dr. Zatezalo has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Zatezalo does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Zatezalo and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Zatezalo's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Zatezalo to family and friends
Dr. Zatezalo's Performance
in Washington, DC |
Did a fantastic job reconstructing my eyelid after cancer removal surgery... looks normal, and I am so pleased!
Rockville, MD |
I have been going to Dr. Zatezalo for several years. His is extremely knowledgeable, personable, positive, attentive, and accommodating. His staff are also wonderful, especially his assistant Megan. I have received exceptional care for several different issues. I would highly recommend him.
Bethesda, MD |
I had an excellent experience with Dr. Zatezalo. He took as much time as I needed to answer my questions and to explain his recommendation. He is very kind and patient and made me feel like I was the most important patient he was seeing that day. I am thrilled with the result of the surgery. He performed an upper and lower blepharoplasty and endobrowplasty on me. I highly recommend him!
Dr Zatezalo is a brilliant reconstructive surgeon and doctor. He has impeccable standards and his knowledge is extensive. His professional yet personable demeanor make for a great experience. You couldn't ask for more in a doctor.
in New Orleans, LA |
I had eye socket reconstruction surgery done by Dr Zatezalo. The procedure is very complicated and very few doctors are capable of performing this delicate and complex procedure. Dr. Zatezalo did an excellent job, and he did it in a very professional manner, taking care to explain each step in the procedure and with great care for my well being. I highly recommend Dr Zatezalo
in Bethesda, MD |
It was recommended that I see a plastic surgeon who specialized in eyelid problems because the opthalmolgist I saw thought my issue w/ dry eyes was due to eyelids not blinking fully. Dr Z saw that wasnt the problem at all. He suggested doing many different & newer things to help the eye problem. He was easy to talk to and aware of the latest literature. Also did a GREAT job w/ lower face Restylyne injections that 2 other plastic surgeons couldn't get done to my satisfaction.
Washington, DC |
Delightful and honest doctor. Very accomodating scheduling with Megan at the front desk. He has always been on time and very thorough.
in Washington, DC |
I can't recommend Dr. Zatezalo highly enough. He did my Ptosis repair in June 2017 after having been recommended to me independently by two other eye doctors (as I've had multiple eye issues in the past). Dr. Zatezalo took a lot of time to talk me through the procedure. He was extremely knowledgeable, competent, personable, friendly and accessible. I hope I don't ever need eyelid surgery again, but if I ever do, I will certainly go to Dr. Zatezalo. He is absolutely outstanding.
washington, dc |
Dr. Zatezalo was very upfront about what to expect and has a great bedside manner. Was very thorough and took his time to make sure everything was perfect. Highly skilled doctor and his results prove that he is one of the best.
WASHINGTON, DC |
Dr. Zatezelo is hands down the best! I have seen numerous providers for cosmetic purposes (dermatologists, aestheticians, plastics) and he is by far superior. He is my go to for fillers, botox/dysport, etc. He takes his time and doesn't make you feel rushed. Love Dr. Z!!
in Washington, DC |
Dr. Zatezalo and his staff provided high quality service from pre-visit, to visit and post-visit. If I had a question, he either called back or his staff responded by phone or via e-mail within the day. I can't imagine a more informed, down-to-earth professional who is clearly brilliant at what he does but puts you at ease at every turn. Skill, talent, bed-side manner and commitment to his patients reflect my experiences with him. I don't generally write reviews but this guy is a gem.
Washington, DC |
Doctor Z is incredible. I had seen three other doctors before finding doctors. After having a terrible experience with a surgery Doctor Z was able to fix the scars and abnormal lid position that a general plastic surgeon gave to me. I now have confidence to go out socially it again. He has given me my life back.
Excellent patient doctor communication and relationship. He has personal interest in your care demonstrated by his kindness and compassion. Dr Z is enthusiastic, with skilled surgical hands. His knowledge and expertise in the field of facial plastic surgery especially around the eye is outstanding. Scheduling was convenient , office staff smart and friendly, very relaxed office atmosphere. I would recommend Dr Z to all my friends for surgery and dermal fillers.
in Martinsburg |
Dr. Zatezalo and his team provided me with the utmost quality care I have ever had. Dr. Zatezalo is a compassionate, and highly regarded professional. I would recommend his services to anyone and everyone. He truly is a phenomenal doctor. I plan to return to Dr. Zatezalo for all my future ophthalmology needs.
Rockville, MD |
I saw Dr. Zatezalo for the first time and I was very impressed. He was able to explain things in a way I could understand. He was very pleasant and knew what he was talking about. He treated me like I was a friend and that made me feel wonderful and more at ease. I will be recommending all my friends to him. Great doctor and staff!
in Washington, DC |
Dr. Chad seems like a wonderful doctor. I have no way of knowing. After repeatedly trying to schedule an appointment with Megan, who returns messages but who never answers her phone, I sent a fax outlining what times/days I'd like to have an appointment. I never heard back from her. Megan has lost Dr. Chad a patient. Wonder how many others she's blown off.
Debbie. I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I want you to know that I (Dr Z) no longer see patients at Washington Eye and this is the reason you have been unable to contact me.... We have opened "The Zatezalo Group" just four days ago on 3/16/2017. Since January I haven't been seeing any patients. The fax line was set up on 3/16/17. Please call 301-304-6600 if you are in need of care. An office that doesn't exist is hard to contact, that's for sure!!
in Washington, DC |
Dr. Z is a superbly trained, gifted surgeon with an exquisite aesthetic sensibility. He did a ptosis repair and told me exactly what to expect. The results were first rate; healing proceeded quickly and with no complications. He has obvious passion for his profession and---if going to an ophthalmologist can be characterized as fun---is a kick to deal with because of his enthusiasm.
Baltimore, MD |
I saw several other oculoplastic surgeons before I saw Dr. Zatezalo, including two at the Hopkins Wilmer Eye Center, but no one else was as thoughtful and knowledgeable as Dr. Z. He evaluated my eye, recommended a minor surgical procedure, did it gently and carefully, and solved my problem. He is smart, capable and just plain nice! You can't do better than to see him!
Clarksburg, MD |
Dr. Zatezalo is an outstanding surgeon. He performed ptosis surgery and blepharoplasty on my eyes and did an incredible job! I look and feel 20 years younger. I am 58. Highly recommend Dr. Z. He also performs tear trough injections using restylane! I cannot recommend this man enough if you live in the DC. Maryland area. He is an artist and wonderful to meet and know. Plus he is trained in ophthalmology, so it much better to put your trust in him rather than a general plastic surgeon.
washington, dc |
I had a wonderful experience with Dr. Zatezalo!! He is compassionate, professional, and kind. He takes his time, listens and makes you feel comfortable. He fixed a botched job by a general plastic surgeon. I left feeling and looking 100x better. I would highly recommend him!!
Chevy Chase, MD |
I was sent to Dr. Zatezalo by another doctor because my tumor on eyelid was "beyond their pay-grade." I don't know if that is true but the results from the extensive eyelid removal is spectacular!
in Chevy Chase |
I was looking for a surgeon to correct my botched previous eyelid surgeries. Because I had so many surgeries on them, three top plastic surgeons referred me to Dr Zatezalo stating he was the best one to fix them. I had lost hope and thought my eyelids were ruined forever. Dr Zatezalo's comforting disposition, expertise and keen desire gave me hope. He did an exceptionally remarkable job correcting the botched surgery. I am happy again and my eyes look so much better. He is the best.
in Washington, DC |
After having an upper bleph a few years ago, I visited Dr Zatezalo for consultation for a lower bleph as my eyes looked tired. He told me I didn't need one yet and he offered filler under my eyes (tear troughs) as he said that would improve my appearance. I appreciated his conservative approach. I didn't feel any pain as he numbed me up very nicely. In the past when I've had filler in my nasolabial folds it proved to be painful with another doctor. Best part: great result and no bruises.
Bethesda, MD |
Excellent. Good bedside manner
Chevy Chase, MD |
When Dr. Z came into the room he was upbeat and shook my hand. I believe he was honest about what the procedure would and wouldn't do. He appreciated that I had my questions written out and we went through them all, he even asked me if I was sure he had answered all my questions. I had a very nice, positive, educational, and thought-provoking visit with Dr. Zatezalo!
Washington, DC |
I should start with a disclaimer: I despise going to the eye doctor. I have had an unreasonably bad self induced phobia since childhood. The thought of a person/device poking around my eyes was unbearable until now. I went to see Dr. Zatezalo for the second time. He's smart, thoughtful, and very professional. While I only had an eye exam done, I understand that he does far more complicated procedures. Highly recommend him and his staff to family and friends. I was in and out in 20 minutes.
Have you seen Dr. Chad Zatezalo, MD?

Visit Dr. Zatezalo