Dr. Catherine Gallo, MD

NeurosurgeryFemaleAge 63

NeuroSpine Institute

74b Centennial Loop Ste 100 Eugene, OR 97401

Dr. Catherine Gallo, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Eugene, OR and has over 40 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Gallo has more experience with Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures than other specialists in her area. She graduated from Tulane U, School of Medicine medical school in 1981. She is affiliated with medical facilities Mercy Medical Center and Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend. She is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Gallo to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Neurosurgery Specialists in your area

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Gallo is affiliated with Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend Springfield, a highly rated hospital.

• Practices at Top Hospital
    Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals

No malpractice claims found for Oregon

Frequently Treated by Dr. Gallo

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Gallo treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Gallo treats other conditions, please contact the office at (541) 686-3791.

Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures

Spine specialists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the bones of the spine, including degenerative spine disease, herniated discs, stenosis, and fractured vertebrae, with treatments including medication, physical therapy, and surgery.Compare with other Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures specialists.

Dr. Gallo is experienced in the area of Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures. See the graph below to learn more about her experience.

Based on claims data for 57 conditions and procedures

Treatments
Similar Providers
Spondylolisthesis
Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
Intervertebral Disc Disease

• Broken Neck
  • Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Shunt - Insertion, Repair or Removal
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Disc Replacement
  • Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Epilepsy
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Upper Back Pain

Dr. Gallo accepts

Dr. Gallo accepts the following insurance:

National (BlueCard) PPO
HealthyBlue 2.0
HealthyBlue Advantage
Kaiser Permanente

Dr. Gallo's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Gallo

2.6

Dr. Gallo
Dr. Gallo is a fine doctor, I had neck fusion with her and it went really well. However, her office is a mess. I called them to make an appointment; I experienced pain in the area of my neck fusion. They couldn't find my files. Then they claimed, since I saw Dr. Gallo more than three years ago, I am a new patient and I need a referral. My insurance doesn't require referrals. The office also said the Dr. can't order MRI for me but I need to see her with an MRI done. I called my regular doctor and they (rightfully) said it's the spinal doctor I see who needs to order MRI. Here I go - I need to switch to another doctor, from the doctor I really appreciate and respect, because of her office policies.The only option I had was to go to an ER. There is no logic in going to an ER during the pandemic in order to have the ER order a test! I didn't expect to have this kind of experience with the doctor I've consulted for more than 20 years and who has been successfully managing my neck pain.
Jun 23, 2021
So Happy!!! Dr. Gallows was my second opinion. The first doctor was dismissive and left me in terrible unresolved pain. Dr. Gallows looked at the same MRI and I was in surgery two months later and I'm the reason it took that long. I am in recovery 6 weeks now, and she fixed what was wrong with me! It is like I am young again. I felt better when I was in recovery. I feel worlds better now. Some reviews talk about her bedside manner. I found her to be concise, but there was a little humor and she gave good explanations. She always answered my questions. Kayla, her assistant, was also really helpful. My thing was she seemed excited to cut on me, and that is what I want from my surgeon, not a cheerleader. The staff in the recovery was awesome. Everyone told me who they were and what their role was and how they were going to play it, from the anesthesiologist to the desk nurse. I have never recommended a doctor, but I recommend this one!
Dean Le Bret – Jul 13, 2020
Dr. Gallo fixed me! 33 y/o. I was down and unable to sit or stand. I read all of her reviews before hand. Dr. Gallo is a surgeon. Has a lot of reviews for being not a talker. Not the best bedside manner. Coming from the Army. I didn’t care. You shouldn’t either. I needed her experience and precision. She did just that! My sciatica, which was crippling is completely gone! I was mentally ready to just call it. I owe that doc a years supply of cookies or some doughnuts or something. My back hasn’t felt this good in a decade!
Matt – Mar 28, 2020
Horrible. She didn't show me scans or Xrays. She said that she saw no cause for so much pain. I proceeded to a second opinion. My new doctor showed me my scans and explainded where the problem is. We're proceeding with the first of two options he presented for pain relief. DO GET SECOND OPINIONS.
Feb 24, 2020
Dr. Gallo has truly "given me my life back"! She is perhaps the most professional, knowledgeable doctor I have ever known. Though there is an air of professionalism when a patient enters the examination room, Dr. Gallo has the ability, confidence, and assurance that, first of all, took me by surprise, but also, in the midst of extreme pain, I KNEW I was in good hands. I have been a farmer and foreign Christian aid worker most of my adult life. As a result of the strenuous work, I have had severe spinal damage. Dr. Gallo, with the guiding of her hands by my God, has truly given me my life of service back. She is phenomenal!!
Elena Brown – Dec 03, 2019
Been trying for the last two months to get into surgery, but it's being held up because Dr Gallo needs to be assured of the money she will be getting from BCBS. The insurance company has already told her that she does not need prior authorization for the surgery I need. Apparently, that's not good enough for her. She needs to have it in writing how much she will be getting. In the meantime, her patient is suffering in pain. What ever happen to "First, do no harm"?
  • Long wait times
Sep 07, 2019
My husband had a disc replacement and his pain was reduced right after surgery. Can’t wait to see how he will be after he is fully healed.
May 21, 2019
Never rude did not take time to explain anything pretty much told me I was screwed and would not do surgery on me even though I needed surgery until I was 65; I was 38 at the time. I asked her what I was to do in meantime with my pain she said suck it up and get use to it!
Mar 28, 2019
Took forever to get an appointment - I got a lot of runaround from the staff, then there was an issue with getting my MRI from my primary care. In this age of electronic medical records, there’s just no excuse. Wait time inntge office was ridiculous - more than an hour - then she did not even introduce herself. Cold and impersonal. I am seeking a different practice.
Mar 12, 2019
worst of the worst, ruined me for life and several others I have met one star is too many
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
OR – Jul 03, 2018
Snobby and self absorbed with very poor communication
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Long wait times
Roseburg, OR – Dec 01, 2017
Excellent work!
T. Billings in Eugene, OR – Aug 29, 2017
I am very please to have had my C5/C6 disc replaced with an artificial disc. I am now mobil and off all pain medications and have my life back. I recommend this surgery to all who need it!
J. W. in Eugene, OR – Aug 29, 2017
Very pleased with my back fusion! Follow up care was done by Dr. Gallo and her great staff.
K. Larsen in Eugene, OR – Aug 29, 2017
I had a lot of pain and numbness before my surgery. I am amazed how quickly the pain was gone. The surgery, hospital, staff were all excellent. Dr. gallo has mad my life wonderful again. I am a master gardener and help run a community garden. It was getting more and more difficult to garden with the pain. Now I am well and so very happy. Thank you Dr. Gallo!
Patricia in Eugene, OR – May 15, 2017
Brilliant surgeon - broke neck C2-5 she is amazing I am mobile and living. Dr Gallo saved my life 10-24-1996.
Melissa in Chico, CA – Feb 21, 2017
She's is so confident that I was sure she'd do an excellent job and I'd receive the best care. I have been in the dark through the whole process, being told only minimal information sometimes just prior to needing to know it. I.e. EKG wasn't ordered until the day before my actual surgery so I had to return, just a day after being there for my blood work, for the EKG. I was not notified they would be taking a bone graft from my hip and it wasn't until awakening from surgery that I realized it
Dec 24, 2015

How was your experience with Dr. Gallo?

• Neurosurgery