Dr. Catherine A. Churgay, MD

Dr. Catherine A. Churgay, MD

Family Medicine | Female | 52 years old

Obtaining medical care can be very scary for patients and my job is to educate them as much as possible so that we can work together as a team to either solve their problems and help them feel better or prevent a problem from occurring in the first place. I'm an excellent listener and use patient input as much as possible to formulate the best plan for that individual patient. Medicine is definitely not one size fits all. I emphasize communicating clearly and answering all questions to the best of my ability because a patient cannot effectively carry out their treatment plan if they don't understand what is causing the problem in the first place and how my recommendations will help to alleviate the problem. Patients and their families should be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their ability to pay. I encourage patients to tell me as much as possible about themselves because stress, family history, and environmental factors play an important role in illness and treating them is often the best way of helping the patient feel better and ideally fully recover from whatever ails them.Read more

Dr. Churgay's Experience

See how Dr. Churgay's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Churgay

Dr. Churgay's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (5)
Dr. Churgay Says:

in Canton, MI |
Being without health insurance can be a daunting experience but I was fortunate enough to find Hope Clinic. Here I was assigned to Dr. Churgay who provided me with comprehensive care in a dignified manner. She took the time, listened to my concerns, ordered tests accordingly, and responded compassionately. I never felt like an uninsured individual as she provided me with reassurance and outstanding care. Dr. Churgay's dedication impacted my life and I will be forever grateful.
in Wayne, MI |
I had been in pain for a long time I had the T11 broken in my spine in which no one else pursued or tried to help me with the pain not. I had no job I had no resources but Dr. Catherine Churgay is the best doctor I have ever had. Now that I am back on my feet we always send money to the Hope Center knowing that there are other people out in the world that need help like we did and will find that help with the Hope Center and there doctors. Thank you so much God Bless you all Plus Dr. Churgay
in Ypsilanti, MI |
she takes the time to go over your medical concerns and address them. orders tests when needed.
Have you seen Dr. Catherine A. Churgay, MD?
Are you Dr. Churgay?

Compare Dr. Churgay

Dr. Churgay's Care Philosophy

Obtaining medical care can be very scary for patients and my job is to educate them as much as possible so that we can work together as a team to either solve their problems and help them feel better or prevent a problem from occurring in the first place.  I'm an excellent listener and use patient input as much as possible to formulate the best plan for that individual patient.  Medicine is definitely not one size fits all.  I emphasize communicating clearly and answering all questions to the best of my ability because a patient cannot effectively carry out their treatment plan if they don't understand what is causing the problem in the first place and how my recommendations will help to alleviate the problem.  Patients and their families should be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their ability to pay.  I encourage patients to tell me as much as possible about themselves because stress, family history, and environmental factors play an important role in illness and treating them is often the best way of helping the patient feel better and ideally fully recover from whatever ails them.

Dr. Churgay says...

I finished my residency training in family medicine in 1991 and since then have been practicing the full breadth of family medicine from birth to grave.  The University of Michigan Family Medicine Department is ranked among the top five in the nation so my education was excellent in terms of both breadth and supervision.  I obtained extra training in procedural skills during residency and directed the procedures clinic at the University of Michigan when I stayed on as faculty after graduation.  I learned how to continuously and successfully keep my medical knowledge up to date by evaluating the most recent research studies and treatment guidelines available. I maintain my Board-certification in family medicine by doing self-assessment modules every year and taking a comprehensive, eight-hour multiple choice examination every ten years.  It is impossible to know everything in family medicine but I'm confident that I know when referral to a specialist is indicated based on specialist feedback and patient satisfaction and outcomes.

Dr. Churgay says...

I'm sorry that some patients had such a negative experience with me and our office staff and will use this feedback to continuously improve a patient's experience in our practice.  Patients can directly call our office manager at 734 481-0111 extension 102 with any concerns or complaints so that we can immediately address them.  I am very sorry that the patients had to wait longer than they expected.  My office staff often schedules complicated patients with me because they know that I will spend whatever amount of time is needed with the patient in order to address their multiple problems and make sure that 1.  They understand what those problems are and 2. They understand how their treatment plan will try to solve those problems.  I've asked the schedulers to schedule extra time for these patients but have no influence on the schedulers because I am a volunteer.  Almost all of the people at the Hope Clinic are volunteers so that we can provide the best care possible regardless of the patient's ability to pay.  I'm grateful for the opportunity to give back to my community but admit to being frustrated by having no influence on my office staff so that I can improve patient experiences. I can only promise that I will do my best to improve whatever I can because I enjoy practicing medicine and don't want my patients to have a bad experience.  Please rest assured that I will spend whatever time with you that you need but please understand that you might have to wait at times because I've extended the same courtesy to someone else.  Unfortunately, sometimes conflict occurs between the physician and patient because of personality and other differences and while I do my best it sometimes can't be avoided.  I encourage those patients to seek care elsewhere in order to obtain a better "fit" so the patient can feel better and hopefully recover from whatever ails them.

Dr. Churgay's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Family Medicine
  •  Board certified in Family Practice
  •  Malpractice claims in Michigan not available

Dr. Churgay has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Michigan.

Why It Matters: Dr. Churgay's Board Certifications

• Family Practice

Dr. Churgay does not have any conditions listed. If you are Dr. Churgay and would like to add conditions you treat, please update your free profile.

University Of Michigan Medical School

Graduated in 1988

Completed in 1989

Completed in 1991

Primary Care Faculty Development Fellowship At Michigan State University College Of Human Medicine

Completed in 1993

Graduated in 1985

Dr. Churgay does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Churgay and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

Dr. Churgay does not have any procedures listed. If you are Dr. Churgay and would like to add procedures you perform, please update your free profile.

You've got options

We're finding other great Providers for you to consider.