Dermatology  |
Dr. Catherine Chen-Tsai, MD
I graduated from Rice University in 1993 with a Bachelor of Architecture. Before my father passed away from cancer during my college years, he used to say I would make a good doctor. My journey of working as an architect while taking premed classes at Harvard Extension School, led me to do research at Boston Children's Hospital. I attended medical school at University of Texas in Galveston, where I earned the William Osler Award and Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society distinctions. After internship at University of Texas Houston with rotations at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, I returned to the northeast for dermatology residency at Boston University School of Medicine, serving as Chief Resident my final year. I have practiced in Phoenix's East Valley specializing in skin cancer for almost 10 years, and have developed an aggressive treatment philosophy given my personal experiences with cancer. My husband is Dr. Thomas Tsai, a family physician and the Medical Director of One Medical Group-Gilbert and we have two sons.

9500 E Ironwood Square Dr Ste 110

• AmeriPlan
  • Arizona Medical Network
  • Arizona PHCS
  • AZ Benefit Options
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
  • Bankers Life and Casualty

Learn about Dr. Chen-Tsai

I provide you compassionate, honest, cost-effective, and evidence-based therapy. My teacherly style ensures that you understand your diagnosis and how your condition can be optimally treated.  I have been a dermatologist in Chandler, AZ for 10 years and can establish the best muti-disciplinary team for you :  Mohs surgery,  Plastics, Oncology, Rheumatology, Allergy & Immunology, Pediatrics, and Primary Care.

Dr. Chen-Tsai's Experience

Dr. Chen-Tsai's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Dermatology
  • Board certified in Dermatology

• Dermatology

• Dermatology
    Accredited by: American Board of Dermatology*

• Acne
  • Actinic Keratosis
  • Athlete's Foot
  • Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema)
  • Basal Cell Carcinoma
  • Itchy Skin
  • Lichen Planus
  • Lipomas
  • Melanoma
  • Moles (Benign Skin Lesions)
  • Pemphigoid

• Destruction of Malignant Skin Lesion
  • Excision of Skin Cancer
  • Melanoma Removal
  • Shaving of Skin Lesion

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Arizona.

• Rice University
  • Boston University School Of Medicine
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2006
  • Roger Williams Medical Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2006

Dr. Chen-Tsai has no media or publications listed.

• Chinese, Mandarin

Dr. Chen-Tsai does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Chen-Tsai and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Chen-Tsai's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Chen-Tsai to family and friends
3.6
Dr. Chen-Tsai Says:

The staff at Spectrum Dermatology which I joined in August of 2015 is truly warm and compassionate, and my clinical practice continues to always strive to fulfill your needs.

Dr. Chen-Tsai's Performance
Mesa, AZ |
Does Spectrum not respect you either? I had a bad experience with Spectrum. First, I had to wait five weeks to be seen. I did wait and had a appointment set for 09/28/2017 at 2:00 pm. I drove across the Phoenix valley to get there and signed in at 1:14 pm. I arrived early as I wanted to make sure I was able to complete their "new patient" paperwork to be seen, on time, for my 2:00 pm appointment. I ask the front desk person at 2:15, "How far behind are you running?" She replied,"There is only on
Mesa, AZ |
Pretends niceness but is rude and bossy. Rushed through my full-body exam, got bossy and rude not long after it started. Failed to explain what the bumps on my scalp are. I still have no idea if they're cysts,moles,or just what. She only felt my scalp and didn't look at it ! I had a very painful lip injection/biopsy and no one asked if I was OK even though I indicated I felt bad {shock} , neither Chen nor the assistant stopped to make sure I was OK. The office manager,Donna, is horrible.
Chandler, AZ |
I cannot believe how non-customer oriented this company is. I saw the Chandler office for several years and we now have a billing issue. I contacted the Chandler office at least 4 times to get this fixed and they do not want to deal with it. When I got a notice of collection from Spectrum, I called to explain the situation to the 'main' billing office, Susie, she was absolutely rude. No, it's not a matter of not paying the bill and being irresponsible. It's a matter of the wrong code to the insu
in Chandler, AZ |
I used to see Dr Chen until about one year ago. After 35+ years working outside in the sun primarily in Arizona and a few years in Southern California, Dr Chen advised me that I did not need to be seen yearly, and suggested only being seen once every 2-3 years by a P.A.!!! Are you kidding me! That's nutty thinking! Be careful if you see this doctor!!!
in Chandler, AZ |
Dr Chen-Tsai makes sitting in a very dated Chandler office completely worth it! Office staff is very kind and helpful, but the entire office is oddly old-looking. However, Dr Chen-Tsai is very kind, helpful, and extremely thorough in examination and explanation. Her kindness and personable nature is truly extraordinary, and I very highly recommend her and her very kind staff.
in Scottsdale, AZ |
I scheduled an appointment with Dr. Chen because I was frequently getting rashes under my arms without explanation. I had seen various doctors over the past six years in attempt to diagnose and treat it, but after several biopsies and tests, no one had given me an explanation. Within minutes of visiting with Dr. Chen, she had given me a diagnosis and two different treatment options and one of them was a success! I highly recommend Dr. Chen and plan to see her for all of my dermatological needs!
in Tempe Az. |
Excellent experience. Both Dr Chen AND her asst. Patty we're incredibly helpful and knowledgeable of my condition. They went out of the way to contact and communicate with me each step of the way. If you need the services of a dermatologist you don't need to look further. Thank you Dr Chen. Thank you patty. They even helped to find insurance for a very expensive problem.
in Mesa, AZ |
Dr Chen- Tsai, is the best she is so easy to talk to she takes time to listen, and makes sure all of your questions are answered, I trust her completely, I take all 8 of my children to her too. She is the most caring dr around.
in Chandler, AZ |
Very knowledgeable, took the time to explain things and was interested in helping me. Really great experience.
in Chandler, AZ |
Very sincere, follows up, will personally call after hours because she cares about her patients, knowledgeable, and her staff went out of the way to make sure we were comfortable. Sincerely impressed and would recommend to friends and family.
in Chandler, AZ |
Warm personality, thorough, explained the handouts well. Nice staff!
Chandler, AZ |
My best experience with a dermatologist! She took her time and called me at home with the results! I would definitely recommend to all my peeps!
in Chandler, AZ |
Very friendly and personable! even called me at home!
in Chandler, AZ |
The best dermatologist in the Valley!
Have you seen Dr. Catherine Chen-Tsai, MD?
Are you Dr. Chen-Tsai?

Motorola Health Plans
  • Arizona Medical Network
  • Arizona PHCS
  • AZ Benefit Options
  • AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC)
    AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC) EPO
    AZ Foundation Medical Care (AZFMC) PPO
  • Bankers Life and Casualty
  • Banner Health
  • Bashas Benefit Trust
  • Beech Street (Multiplan)
  • Benefit Concepts
    Great West Healthcare-Cigna
    Open Access Plus PPO
  • City of Mesa Health Plan
  • CNA
  • Compassionate Care Network (CCN)
  • Comprehensive Medical and Dental Program (CMDP)
  • Compusys
  • CoreSource
  • Galaxy Health Network
  • Gila River HealthCare
  • Golden Rule
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
    Humana PPO
  • Integra Physician Network
  • Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
  • LifeWise
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Maricopa Foundation For Medical Care
    Today's Option Medicare Advantage PFFS
  • Self Pay
  • Sierra Choice
    Sierra Choice POS
  • Southwest Service Administrators, Inc.
  • State Farm