Orthopedic Hand Surgery  |
Dr. Cassie Root, MD
Dr. Root is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon who focuses on problems of the upper extremity - the elbow, forearm, wrist, and hand. She treats disorders including sports injuries, arthritis, trauma, tendonitis and nerve problems. Welcoming both adult and pediatric patients, Dr. Root enjoys forming relationships with her patients while taking them through the entire process from initial diagnosis through conservative treatment, and when necessary, surgical treatment and post-operative therapy. Dr. Root is a Northern Virginia native and attended Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology. After graduating from Princeton University with Honors, Dr. Root attended Vanderbilt University School of Medicine where she was awarded the prestigious, merit based Canby Robinson Scholarship. In addition, she was elected into the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Medical Society. Dr. Root completed her orthopaedic surgery residency at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York - frequently chosen as the #1 Hospital for Orthopedic Surgery by US News & World Report. Additional fellowship training to specialize in Hand, Upper Extremity and Microvascular surgery was completed at Washington University in Saint Louis, MO. Dr. Root was recently named one of Washingtonian's "Top Doctors" in Hand Surgery, has published and presented multiple research projects on the hand and upper extremity both in the Journal of Hand Surgery and at the annual meeting of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. She is a candidate member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Other professional memberships include the Ruth Jackson Orthopaedic Society and Health Volunteers Overseas. She is committed to international medical outreach, focusing on teaching hand surgery to surgeons in developing nations. Previous service destinations have included Peru, South Africa, Nicaragua, and India.

1715 N George Mason Dr Ste 504

Arlington, VA 22205

Dr. Cassie Root, MD

• Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.

Learn about Dr. Root

See how frequently Dr. Root performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Ganglion Cyst
Osteoarthritis of Hands
Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist

Dr. Root's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Root "Our mission is to place the needs of our patients first and offer the highest quality of care possible."

• Orthopedic Hand Surgery

• Elbow Disorders
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Finger Disorders
  • Finger Joint Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Hand Fracture
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

• Peripheral Nerve Block
  • Trigger Finger Release
  • Ultrasound, Musculoskeletal
  • Wrist Fusion

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

• Princeton University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated
  • Vanderbilt University School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated
  • Hospital For Special Surgery
  • Washington University
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed

Dr. Root has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Root does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Root and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Root's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Root to family and friends
Dr. Root's Performance
Alexandria, VA |
I initially saw Dr. Root about 5 years ago when I wanted a second opinion on a wrist injury. My first impression was that she was an incredibly skilled doctor and very intelligent. So when I had trouble with the other wrist, there was no doubt as to which doctor I would go to. She quickly assessed my wrist and gave me options that included an MRI. The next visit, as we discussed the MRI results, I mentioned the previous (opposite) wrist injury. She changed her thought process to evaluate bo
in Falls Church, VA |
My mother fell and broke her wrist. We were recommended to Dr. Root by the hospital emergency room staff. Though she had a busy schedule she worked us in so we could be seen quickly. She was very kind and gentle with my mother, which I greatly appreciate. My mother can be difficult to work with but Dr. Root took her time and explained everything so my mother was more comfortable. We had several follow up visits and we could not be happier with our service and care from the entire staff.
in McLean |
My dissatisfaction is not so much with this doctor as it is with her office and their customer service. My entire family frequent the Nirchl Orthopedic practice. We changed our health insurance to be more available to them. When I called in urgent need of an appointment for a hand injury, I was told that I would be treated like a "new patient" since I hadn't seen her in 5 years. I had see two other doctors in that practice less than 3 months earlier. The receptionist was curt and unkind.
I apologize for the front desk problems. We had a very new receptionist working at the desk and obviously her training and supervision was not up to par. She has since been let go and we have a wonderful new front desk person. We have reviewed and updated our training policies to ensure that this kind of thing does not happen again. We appreciate your years of loyalty to Nirschl Orthopaedic Center and we strive to ensure excellent care and satisfaction with all our clients.
Have you seen Dr. Cassie Root, MD?

See our Orthopedic Hand Surgery Specialist at StoneSprings Hospital Center

Visit Dr. Root

Dr. Root accepts 1 insurance carrier
  • Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.

Hospitals where Dr. Root has admitting privileges