Dr. Caroline Choan, MD

NeurologyFemaleAge 59

Neurology

Dr. Caroline Choan, MD is a Neurology Specialist in Laguna Hills, CA and has over 33 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Choan has extensive experience in Headache. She graduated from New York Medical College in 1989. She is affiliated with Saddleback Medical Center. Her office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. Caroline Choan, MD

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Neurology Specialists in your area

• Offers Telehealth
  • Hospital Satisfaction

No malpractice claims found for California

Frequently Treated by Dr. Choan

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Choan treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Choan treats other conditions, please contact the office at (949) 837-1130.

Headache

Headache is a common symptom that can sometimes signal a more serious condition, such as migraine, high blood pressure, or cerebral hemorrhage.Compare with other Headache specialists.

Dr. Choan is experienced in the area of Headache. See the graph below to learn more about her experience.

Based on claims data for 6 conditions and procedures

Treatments
Dr. Choan
Similar Providers
All Headaches (incl. Migraine)
Migraine

• Home Sleep Study
  • ImPACT Testing
  • Inflammatory and Toxic Neuropathy
  • Memory Evaluation
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Myasthenia Gravis
  • Nerve Conduction Studies
  • Non-Cosmetic Chemodenervation
  • Parkinson's Disease
  • Peripheral Neuropathy Testing
  • Polyneuropathy
  • Post-Concussion Syndrome
  • Quantitative Sensory Test (QST)
  • Restless Leg Syndrome
  • Sudoscan
  • Syncope
  • TCD Bubble Test
  • Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA)
  • Tremor
  • Vertigo
  • Wada Test

Dr. Choan accepts

Dr. Choan accepts the following insurance:

Advantage-CA HMO

Dr. Choan's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Choan

2.1

Not likely.
Dr. Choan friendly enough but does not listen, disengaged. Did not perform a comprehensive nerve evaluation or exam. Incomplete. I do not recommend this doctor if you want a through concise examination that is evaluated properly with care and attention to detail. Seek other neurologist.
Anonymous – Jun 14, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
Literally read my chart to me. Then asked me to do a few movements and after each one she said: that’s a problem. Then she ordered tests. I wanted to discuss mental acuity but it did not happen.
Mar 24, 2022
Worst Office
I like Dr. Choan and feels she explained my condition well, however, I don’t trust her to follow up because she doesn’t. She doesn’t return calls, she doesn’t refill prescriptions and her staff is completely unresponsive to requests. It is without a doubt the absolute worst office I have ever had the unfortunate experience of being a patient in. Don’t go to her, find another doctor.
Mar 09, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
If I could give zero stars I would. I have never worked with such an unprofessional group in my life. They are unorganized, do not return calls (Megan specifically), will not let you speak with the Dr. The Dr. also forgets what treatment plan you are doing and keeps recommending the same thing that has already been done even when she says they are going to do something else. Trying to get any answers is impossible. If you want patient care go somewhere else.
Oct 02, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
Dr. Choan is a nice Doctor but the only problem is her staff name Erika she is rude, unprofessional doesn’t know how to talked to the patient. Dr. Choan will lose patients if Erika attitude is like that. I am seeing 3 Doctors but Erika is the only one who is so rude she should replace her and hire other staff who is compassionate & caring.
Nora Raymundo – Aug 19, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
I had scheduled an appointment a few weeks ago and I didn’t get a confirmation call, so I called and left a message for Erika and she didn’t call me back. When I showed up to the appointment because it was the following morning and I didn’t want to miss it. I found out that I was not on the schedule they told me I needed to talk to the scheduler. As soon as I met the scheduler she was the rudest person I ever met, she was screaming at me and told me I didn’t have an appointment. I told her that the appointment was made with Erika, not realizing that I was talking to Erika. I have never experience someone as unprofessional and rude!!!!!! Addie at the front desk was very sweet and helpful and had it not been for her I would of walked out. The Doctors need to read the reviews!!! This behavior from Erika was unacceptable !!
Adrians – May 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
She is always running at least an hour behind. Sat there for an hour today and still didn't get to see her. Last appointment she was running so late that when my appointment was done, the entire office staff had gone home and all the lights were out. I understand her desire to be "thorough" with her patients, but my time is worth something as well. If they know that she is always so late, why don't they make fewer appointments for her and spread them out?? They sure took my co-payment though. Time to find a new neurologist.
Apr 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
This is the worse doctors office I have been too. The front office is rude, doesn't do what they said they were going to do. I left 5 messages and no one called back for days. Then when they did, days later they said they can't do anything to help me until the doctors is the office, she not there everyday,
Mar 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
Dr. Choan was fine but the staff is horrible! They don't call back and if you are lucky enough to hear from someone they are rude.
Mar 03, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
I just tried to make an appointment with this Dr. Choan's office and had the exact same terrible experience with the office staff. I had to call 2 days in a row and left messages to try to get an appointment and just got a call back. The call was so rude and unprofessional I almost had to hang up because I was so upset. You will continue to loose out on patients with employees like this. It reflects so poorly on you and for all that I know you may be a good Dr. ,but will never know because I will not make an appt. there ever.
Lost Patient – Oct 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
I would recommend Dr. Choan but as it is necessary to engage with a rude, uncaring and incompetent assistant in order to receive services, there is no way I would recommend this office for health services.
Lynn Manhart – Sep 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
Listen to the reviewers. More people don't like this place because of the office staff - and they are right. Personal experience - they can't keep track of the appointments they make and make you feel stupid when you show up for your scheduled appointment only to be told you don't have an appointment. Then 2 days before your new appointment, you get a call stating the doctor won't be in the office. When you voice your frustration, the office staff get offended and upset and become even more rude then before. To be fair, I called their office management a "joke" and told them I didn't want to reschedule an appointment for the 3rd time. Rudeness over flowed. Said I was insulting her. Corrected her and said I was insulting the entire office team, not just her. They must hate their jobs to treat their patients so poorly. I stand by my statement. I hope they experience the same level of poor service and rudeness when they themselves are the patients.
Won't ever come here again – Sep 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
ZERO! The office is not responsive. Choan is useless to offer help and will not reply to messages. Nursing staff is extremely rude and uncaring as well.
Apr 09, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
I showed up last week to the appointment that I made and after 15 minutes a lady came out and said she cancelled me by error and rescheduled it for today at 4:30pm. 3 days ago they called again and said that late appointments are not given to new patients and rescheduled me to 12:45. I showed up 10 minutes earlier to complete the paperwork, paid my co-pay and after 40 minutes of waiting when I asked how much longer they said there are 2 ahead of me which meant waiting another hour to hour and half. My time was disrespected.. As I left and on my way out 2 patients told me that this is the way it is in this office and they were considering finding another Dr. well I will find someone else.. office is mismanaged and expect to wait a min. of hour and half to two. I wonder if the Dr. would be ok making an appointment and having to wait for 2 hours anywhere else...
Avi Daneshavske – Feb 05, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
My mother’s mri was done about A MONTH AGO and we still haven’t received the results. We scheduled a phone appointment between 8 to 9pm to discuss the results with the doctor and I even confirmed the appointment with the front staff and the doctor never called. This is ridiculous. My mother can barely walk and we want answers!
Dec 13, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
dr. choan diagnosed me with multiple sclerosis. one month later i had a serious flareup. very painful to inhale, exhale. very difficult to breathe. severe nerve pain up and down my sides and upper back. extreme painful legs and more. dr. choan refused to see me for 6 month until my next follow up appointment in july 2019. i called twice. my primary dr. called. my nurse practioner called twice. dr. said no she will see me in 6 months. i felt so deserate. im 70. she is rude, sarcastic.
Apr 16, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
Dr. Choan is skilled and listens to every concern. Unfortunately the front office is incompetent and indifferent. They consistently run 30-90 minutes late and there have been serious miscommunications and dropped balls with a referral, 3 weeks for an Rx refill, and not having my MRI's when I showed up for a followup. I have to reluctantly find a new doctor after 15+ years; I'm finished with the front office's repeated mistakes and poor attitude.
Ken – Jun 29, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
Horrible experience with this office and it reflects on the doctors. No one ever calls you back and I cannot get a simple DMV health questionnaire filled out. DO NOT use these neurology services - go to UCI. This place is awful!
Mission Viejo, CA – Apr 03, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
She has s one of the doctor I have ever have see. She listens to everything you have to say, that's why you might have to be patient. That's what you want in a doctor.
David in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA – Jul 15, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?
Dr. Choan ordered blood tests that were not covered by Medicare. The diagnosis codes did not match up with blood tests ordered. After many attempts to have the correct codes submitted to the lab, her very rude staff informed me that she would not submit revised codes. When I asked why she ordered blood tests for a undiagnosed condition, her staff informed me that it was my responsibility to pay for the tests because she ordered them. They apparently are standard tests - nothing rare.
Lynn Vine in Laguna Woods, CA – Oct 14, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Caroline Choan, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Choan?