Dr. Carl R. Thornfeldt, MD

Dr. Carl R. Thornfeldt, MD

Dermatology | Male

CT Dermatology 811 NW 12th St, Fruitland, ID 83619 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

Our Philosophy At CT Derm we understand the effect that your internal health can have on your external appearance. Dr. Carl Thornfeldt is a highly published Dermatologist who has devoted his life to understanding your skin and educating others in its structure and function. Each of our providers has spent countless hours training under Dr. Thornfeldt so that they also can stamp out skin disease. Our Treatment Strategy At CT Derm, our approach is to achieve total treatment by understanding what the disease is and reversing the abnormalities that occur in that disease state. Most of the common skin diseases we see have four main issues: inflammation, skin barrier damage, an increase of cell turnover (discarding dead skin cells) and microbes infect it, then are able to colonize and spread the disease. Our strategy is always four-fold to deal with these four main issues and has helped us to treat some very severe cases.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Thornfeldt's Experience

97Experience
Match

See how Dr. Thornfeldt's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Thornfeldt

Dr. Thornfeldt accepts 8 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Thornfeldt has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Thornfeldt's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Thornfeldt to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Thornfeldt
Dr. Thornfeldt's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (13)
Dr. Thornfeldt Says:

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to provide feedback on my services.  I certainly appreciate you!  If you have ideas on how I can improve in any way please call my  office and ask for my Clinic Manager Elisha.  She is always available and loves to hear from my clients.

in Boise, Id |
If it's possible to give 0 stars I would! Their office manager said he is into more natural things and get to the root of the problem. That's BS! For a mild case of eczema they wanted to do two kinds of steroids, 2 kinds of prescribed allergy meds, antibiotics, and his own line of cream. I declined this aggressive route, and they reported me to CPS! The case was quickly dismissed. This guy thinks he's God. If you really want to get to the root of your skin problems, find a naturopath!
in Boise, ID |
I have suffered from a skin disease for fifteen years now. My primary care Dr. would periodically prescribe me doxycycline or tetracycline before referring me to a dermatologist who began me on minocyline. This controlled the problem but did not rid it. Dr. Thornfeldt was quick to take a culture and find out that I had a bug that was resistant to these medications. He started me on a regimen that began working right away and my skin has never felt better. The hr. drive is well worth it!!!!
in Huntington, OR |
have been going to him since 1998 and he is a wonderful doctor!!!!!!
in Vale, OR |
I highly recommend Dr. Carl because he cares about his patients and is very thorough in finding problems other doctors may miss.
in Fruitland, ID |
doctor thornfeld has helped me better understand my extreme exzema and has helped my skin show excellent improvement i thank him very much kim andrew
in Payette Idaho |
I think Dr Thornfeldt is a very good Dr I would never go to anyone else.
Have you seen Dr. Carl R. Thornfeldt, MD?

Compare Dr. Thornfeldt

• Procedural Dermatology

Why It Matters: Dr. Thornfeldt's Board Certifications

• Dermatology

Dr. Thornfeldt says..

Dermatology is a vast specialty, and I am proud to say that I have chosen it.  I am passionate about helping my patients find better health!  On an average day I will treat the most common conditions such as actinic keratosis, skin cancer; including Basal Cell Carcinoma and Squamous Cell Carcinoma, I will also treat clients with acne, psoriasis, excema, dermatitis, hair loss or hair thinning and several other diseases of the nails.

Unfortunately, I also commonly diagnose melanoma and an every increasing list of autoimmune conditions that manifest themselves in the skin.  This includes Polymorpheous Light Eruption, or as some call it- sun rash.  Also fairly common in our area is Lupus.

As a family dermatologist I treat all ages of clients.  I believe in the power of patient choice and strive to give my clients treatment choices when they are available.

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Acne
  • Actinic Keratosis
  • Allergic Reaction
  • Anal Itch
  • Anal Warts
  • Athlete's Foot
  • Atopic Dermatitis (Eczema)
  • Basal Cell Carcinoma
  • Keloid Scar
  • Leg and Foot Ulcers
  • Lipomas
  • Melanoma
  • Moles (Benign Skin Lesions)
  • Nail Abnormality
  • Vitiligo
  • Warts
  • Wrinkles

Dr. Thornfeldt says..

Dr Thornfeldt finds great passion in stamping out skin disease.  He has performed thousands of surgeries during his career to remove skin cancer, moles and melanoma.  He also performs scar revisions and several forms of nail surgery including nail and nail bed removals.  As a board certified dermatologist and highly skilled surgeon he has specialized training in lesion removal and repairs that will render the best possible cosmetic outcome.

This information was supplied by or on behalf of the provider.
  • Acne Surgery
  • Nail Avulsion
  • Narrow Band UVB Light for Psoriasis
  • Narrow Band UVB Light for Vitiligo
  • Pellevé® RF Skin Tightening
  • Photodynamic Therapy (PDT)
  • Shaving of Skin Lesion
  • Soft Tissue Mass Biopsy
  • Soft Tissue Tumor Removal
  • UVB Box
  • Zerona® Laser Treatment

No malpractice history found for Idaho.

Oregon Health Sciences University

Graduated in 1977

Naval Reg Med Center

Completed in 1978

UCSD

Completed in 1983

Dr. Thornfeldt has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Thornfeldt does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Thornfeldt and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Thornfeldt's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Dermatology
  • Board certified in Dermatology
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Thornfeldt

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Thornfeldt's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
10 – 15 minutes

Experience with Dr. Thornfeldt

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Thornfeldt says...

My passion for medicine, the skin and rural America began as a child. I grew up in Eastern Oregon on a sheep farm where I watched my father dedicate his life to improving the health and quality of life for our animals by providing for the whole animal. We designed specialized feeding programs in order to breed championship sheep. I, also, personally experienced the challenges of highly sensitive skin. For most of my childhood, I struggled with allergies and sensitive skin. I know that any individual, especially a child, with skin problems doesn't affect just the individual, it affects the entire family. So, from an early age, I was fascinated by the process of putting human and animal bodies in their best shape possible. It wasn't just about treating but preventing.

I received my M.D. from Oregon Health Sciences University, now one of the top 2 clinical medical schools in the nation. I knew I wanted to spend time in family practice before specializing because I wanted to be able to focus on the whole person, not just the case. Specialists often become too focused on their one area of speciality that they neglect to view the person as a whole. I later learned 85% of all skin diseases are a manifestation of internal conditions. I spent 3 years in family practice for the U.S. Navy then completed my dermatology residency at University Hospital in San Diego, California, now one of the top 3 dermatology training programs in the nation.

My passion has always been for rural America. When I was in training, I saw a physician distribution map which showed there were no dermatologists in the Southeastern portion of Oregon and Southwest Idaho. I believe that people living in rural areas deserve to have access to specialty medicine. Oregon had invested in my education, and I felt they deserved a return on their investment. I have dedicated my career to serving those 110,000 people who live in a 30,000 square mile area of Southeastern Oregon and Southwestern Idaho.

Within the first year of practicing Dermatology, I noticed that there was a trend of people who were not getting well. An increasing number of patients were unhappy with modest treatment results that did not last, along with the side effects they experienced while using many types of prescription medication. There were a couple of diseases that continued to stump me. Conditions known as "winter itch" and "sun allergy" that would come and go no matter what the treatment. I knew there was something deeper to be investigated and resolved. I was determined to find a solution that was both safe and effective, so I put together a research team.

At the time our research began in 1989, the outer layers of the skin were thought to be nothing more than a superficial layer of cellophane. The question our team hoped to answer was, "If we could optimize the structure and function of the skin, could we prevent skin diseases and skin cancer, and possibly even skin aging?" We first had to study the skin barrier. After years of basic research, we discovered that the main skin problems stem from chronic inflammation and disruption of the skin barrier. In 2002, my team developed a product line, Epionce, that not only helps to calm the damaging effects of chronic inflammation in the skin but also helps our body naturally repair and fortify the strength of the protective skin barrier. My research and the Epionce products we created help me be a better doctor for my patients by helping improve their quality of life with higher clearance rates and more prolonged remissions.

My hope is for the people in Eastern Oregon and Western Idaho to know the resource that is available to them concerning their skin and to take advantage of my years of study and expertise. My focus is entirely about the health of the skin so it can function at its best. No one must live with the burden of untreated skin disease or ailments because at the end of the day, everything we do at CT Derm is about improving the quality of skin.

Dr. Thornfeldt's Care Philosophy