Dr. Carl Thornfeldt, MD

Dr. Carl Thornfeldt, MD

Dermatology  ·
Dr. Carl Thornfeldt, MD is a dermatologist in Fruitland, ID and has been practicing for 35 years. He graduated from Oregon Health Sciences University in 1977 and specializes in dermatology, pediatric dermatology, and more.Read his story

811 NW 12th St

Fruitland, ID 83619

• Blue Cross of Idaho
  • Idaho Physicians Network (IPN)
  • Medicare
  • PacificSource
  • Providence Health Plans

Learn about Dr. Thornfeldt

See how frequently Dr. Thornfeldt performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Candidiasis of Skin and Nails
Fungal Infections
Ringworm

Dr. Thornfeldt's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Thornfeldt's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Thornfeldt "My passion for medicine, the skin and rural America began as a child. I grew up in Eastern Oregon on a sheep farm where I watched my father dedicate his life to improving the health and quality of life for our animals by providing for the whole animal. We designed specialized feeding programs in order to breed championship sheep. I, also, personally experienced the challenges of highly sensitive skin. For most of my childhood, I struggled with allergies and sensitive skin. I know that any individual, especially a child, with skin problems doesn't affect just the individual, it affects the entire family. So, from an early age, I was fascinated by the process of putting human and animal bodies in their best shape possible. It wasn't just about treating but preventing. I received my M.D. from Oregon Health Sciences University, now one of the top 2 clinical medical schools in the nation. I knew I wanted to spend time in family practice before specializing because I wanted to be able to focus on the whole person, not just the case. Specialists often become too focused on their one area of speciality that they neglect to view the person as a whole. I later learned 85% of all skin diseases are a manifestation of internal conditions. I spent 3 years in family practice for the U.S. Navy then completed my dermatology residency at University Hospital in San Diego, California, now one of the top 3 dermatology training programs in the nation. My passion has always been for rural America. When I was in training, I saw a physician distribution map which showed there were no dermatologists in the Southeastern portion of Oregon and Southwest Idaho. I believe that people living in rural areas deserve to have access to specialty medicine. Oregon had invested in my education, and I felt they deserved a return on their investment. I have dedicated my career to serving those 110,000 people who live in a 30,000 square mile area of Southeastern Oregon and Southwestern Idaho. Within the first year of practicing Dermatology, I noticed that there was a trend of people who were not getting well. An increasing number of patients were unhappy with modest treatment results that did not last, along with the side effects they experienced while using many types of prescription medication. There were a couple of diseases that continued to stump me. Conditions known as "winter itch" and "sun allergy" that would come and go no matter what the treatment. I knew there was something deeper to be investigated and resolved. I was determined to find a solution that was both safe and effective, so I put together a research team. At the time our research began in 1989, the outer layers of the skin were thought to be nothing more than a superficial layer of cellophane. The question our team hoped to answer was, "If we could optimize the structure and function of the skin, could we prevent skin diseases and skin cancer, and possibly even skin aging?" We first had to study the skin barrier. After years of basic research, we discovered that the main skin problems stem from chronic inflammation and disruption of the skin barrier. In 2002, my team developed a product line, Epionce, that not only helps to calm the damaging effects of chronic inflammation in the skin but also helps our body naturally repair and fortify the strength of the protective skin barrier. My research and the Epionce products we created help me be a better doctor for my patients by helping improve their quality of life with higher clearance rates and more prolonged remissions. My hope is for the people in Eastern Oregon and Western Idaho to know the resource that is available to them concerning their skin and to take advantage of my years of study and expertise. My focus is entirely about the health of the skin so it can function at its best. No one must live with the burden of untreated skin disease or ailments because at the end of the day, everything we do at CT Derm is about improving the quality of skin."

This content was provided by Dr. Thornfeldt "Our Philosophy

At CT Derm we understand the effect that your internal health can have on your external appearance. Dr. Carl Thornfeldt is a highly published Dermatologist who has devoted his life to understanding your skin and educating others in its structure and function. Each of our providers has spent countless hours training under Dr. Thornfeldt so that they also can stamp out skin disease.

Our Treatment Strategy

At CT Derm, our approach is to achieve total treatment by understanding what the disease is and reversing the abnormalities that occur in that disease state. Most of the common skin diseases we see have four main issues: inflammation, skin barrier damage, an increase of cell turnover (discarding dead skin cells) and microbes infect it, then are able to colonize and spread the disease. Our strategy is always four-fold to deal with these four main issues and has helped us to treat some very severe cases."

• Dermatology

• Narrow Band UVB Light for Psoriasis
  • Narrow Band UVB Light for Vitiligo
  • Non-Ablative Laser Skin Rejuvenation
  • Pellevé® RF Skin Tightening
  • Photodynamic Therapy (PDT)
  • Radiesse® Injections
  • Skin Surgery
  • Skin Tag Removal
  • Soft Tissue Mass Biopsy
  • Soft Tissue Tumor Removal
  • Temperature-Controlled Radio Frequency Non-Invasive Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatment
  • ThermiSmooth™ Non-Invasive Skin Smoothing Treatment
  • Wart Removal
  • Wrinkle Reduction by Injection
  • Wrinkle Removal
  • Zerona® Laser Treatment

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Idaho.

• Oregon Health Sciences University
    Medical School | Graduated 1977
  • Naval Reg Med Center
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1978
  • Ucsd
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1983

Dr. Thornfeldt has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Thornfeldt does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Thornfeldt and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Thornfeldt's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Thornfeldt

Dr. Thornfeldt?
Dr. Thornfeldt's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Carl Thornfeldt, MD
RecentHighestLowest
Dr Carl has been treating me since I was 13. I’m now 49. He recently diagnosed an underlying autoimmune disease that, until now, no other Dr has been able to figure out. Because of him I not only will have a longer life but a BETTER life. He also treats my parents, Grandfather and my children. I...Read More
Kathleen Turner in Star, ID – Jun 27, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Carl Thornfeldt, MD?
I had my first visit with Dr. Thornfeldt. He was very friendly and easy to talk with. It appears that he certainly knows his field. He was patient and explained what is going on with me more than once. I look forward to working with him and his staff.
Mary Culver in Ontario, OR – Jun 18, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Carl Thornfeldt, MD?
Doctor Thornfeldt is very trusting, professional, and knowledgable. I would highly recommend him. Additionally, I really appreciate his kind, competent, staff.
Glen in Nampa , ID – Jun 09, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Carl Thornfeldt, MD?
Dr. Thornfeldt is a very caring doctor and he is very thorough in explaining your treatment plan. I was diagnosed with a rare form of skin cancer "Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphoma". I am so thankful that he is up to date with current medicine that is available to treat this rare cancer.
Elaine in Oregon – Jun 02, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Carl Thornfeldt, MD?
What an awesome Dr. I came in with a random tattoo problem and he knew right away what it was. Turned out to be a crazy parasite that i got in Hawaii. . . . He has helped above and beyond what i would expect a Dermatologist to do. He is an amazing person and very helpful
Rory in NEW PLYMOUTH – Mar 28, 2018
Show more reviews

How was your experience with Dr. Thornfeldt?