Dr. Carl Lowder Jr, MD

Dr. Carl Lowder Jr, MD

Neurosurgery  ·
Dr. Carl Lowder Jr, MD is a neurosurgery specialist in Covington, LA and has been practicing for 28 years. He graduated from Medical University of South Carolina in 1984 and specializes in neurosurgery.Read his story

1000 Ochsner Blvd

• CareSource
  • Community Health Choice
  • Employers Health Network

Learn about Dr. Lowder Jr

See how frequently Dr. Lowder Jr performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Spondylosis
Low Back Pain
Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)

Dr. Lowder Jr's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Lowder Jr's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Lowder Jr "Thank you for choosing Ochsner and our team for your neurosurgical needs. We are happy to have you as our patient and strive to help you in any way possible. If there is anything we can do to assist you, please let us know. I am a Board Certified Neurosurgeon with greater than 25 years of experience. After completing my undergraduate degree from Washington & Lee University in the beautiful mountains of Virginia, I earned my medical degree from the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. I then completed an internship program at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, Texas followed by a neurosurgical residency program at Charity Hospital and LSU Medical Center New Orleans in 1990. Since then, I have practiced in Tallahassee, Florida and Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana before joining Ochsner, where I have been for greater than 10 years. My specialties include: spine surgery - neck and back, both upper and lower; shunt placement for swelling of the brain, tumor removal from the brain and spinal canal; carpal tunnel syndrome surgery and surgery for problems with the ulnar nerve Born in Ohio and raised in Columbia, South Carolina, where my retired school teacher mother still lives, I now reside in Mandeville, Louisiana. My wife, Theresa, and 3 children, Carl, Caroline and Christopher are my pride and joy. When away from the office, I enjoy trips to the beach, American history, and college sports."

This content was provided by Dr. Lowder Jr "I support a patient's decision/ right about their treatment plan. I take the time to educate and encourage patients to be involved in all aspects of their care. I listen, value a patient's input and attend to their individual needs. I communicate in a clear, timely manner and share all pertinent information. I treat patients and their families with dignity, compassion and respect."

• Neurosurgery

• Epilepsy
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus
  • Thoracic Spine Fracture
  • Thoracic Spine Myelopathy
  • Thrombosis
  • Traumatic Brain Injury

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Louisiana.

• Washington and Lee University, Lexington, VA
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1980
  • Medical University of South Carolina
    Medical School | Graduated 1984
  • Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, TX
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1985
  • Lsu Medical Center
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1990

Dr. Lowder Jr has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Lowder Jr does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Lowder Jr and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Lowder Jr's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Lowder Jr

3.7

Dr. Lowder Jr?
Dr. Lowder Jr's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Carl Lowder Jr, MD
RecentHighestLowest
Dr Lowder did my neck surgery in 2010. From our first meeting I was comfortable and trusted him. My surgery went well and he gave me use of my left arm again. If I ever needed neck or back surgery Dr Lowder would be my doctor of choice.
R jurina in Covington la – Mar 11, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Carl Lowder Jr, MD?
Dr. Lowder did my neck surgery in 2012. It has been 5 years. I have Berber felt better. This awesome Dr ha made me well. I have not been in pain since. Thank You Doc. I really really appreciate your talent, caring, and bedside manner.
Debby Karl in Picayune, Ms – Nov 16, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Carl Lowder Jr, MD?
My husband had brain cancer many years ago when we lived in Louisiana. Dr Lowder performed the surgery and had follow up visits with us. Dr. Lowder spent time with my husband and myself helping us to understand the disease process. He is a very good surgeon and we were very satisfied with his...Read More
Kelly Rolland in White Oak, TX – Feb 25, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Carl Lowder Jr, MD?
Had constant pain in meck and shoulder on left side. Years of pain! Dr Lowder operated in 2010 no complications have been pain free since. Had second surgery 2014 for lower back. Did take a year to be completely pain free of sciatic spasms down left leg.and lower back spasms. Would recommend...Read More
Judy F Beechler in Covington, la – Jan 16, 2016
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Carl Lowder Jr, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Lowder Jr?