Dr. Bruce Wintman, MD

Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery | Male

3550 Main St Springfield, MA 01107 Get Directions
Dr. Bruce Wintman, MD
Dr. Wintman attended Wesleyan University graduating with high honors in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry. He completed his medical education at Harvard Medical School in 1991. He interned in general surgery at the Brigham and Women's Hospital followed by a residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at the Harvard Combined Program working at Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Children's Hospital in Boston. Following this training he was an Orthopaedic Trauma attending and Chief Resident at Brigham and Women's Hospital. In 1997, Dr. Wintman went on to complete a Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery Fellowship at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He is currently licensed in Massachusetts and Connecticut. He is Board Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery and has a Certificate of Added Qualifications in Surgery of the Hand. Dr. Wintman is a Clinical Assistant Professor of Orthopedic Surgery at Boston University School of Medicine and a Clinical Instructor of Orthopedics at Tufts University School of Medicine. He has also been a visiting lecturer at Westfield State University presenting on sports related hand injuries. He is currently on the full time staff at Baystate Medical Center. Dr. Wintman has taken hand and upper extremity emergency call for over 10 years, giving him extensive experience with trauma, acute care and late reconstruction of hand and upper extremity injuries. At Shriner's Hospital in Springfield he is on the surgical staff, participating in hand clinic as well as lecturing and instructing on Congenital and Pediatric Hand and Upper Extremity Problems. Dr. Wintman also has privileges at Mary Lane Hospital in Ware, Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton, and Mercy Medical Center in Springfield, Massachusetts. Dr. Wintman performs much of his outpatient surgery at The Pioneer Valley Surgicenter. Dr. Wintman is a member of the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. He is a member of the Massachusetts Medical Society, the Hampden District Medical Society, the Massachusetts Orthopedic Association, and the New England Hand Society. Dr. Wintman's professional interests cover all topics related to the hand and upper extremity, including carpal tunnel syndrome, endoscopic carpal tunnel release, workers compensation injuries, arthritis, tendon problems, needle aponeurotomy for Dupuytren's Disease, distal biceps tendon repair, shoulder arthroscopy, congenital hand abnormalities, reconstruction, and hand/wrist trauma. Dr. Wintman recently began a series of Hand Surgery Podcasts to help explain the role of surgery to his patients. His most popular podcast deals with Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release Surgery and the treatment of Dupuytren's Disease with Needle Aponeurotomy and Xiaflex injection. These Hand Surgery Podcasts are also available in ITunes for the benefit of his patients. Dr. Wintman has done significant research in the field of hand surgery and has written numerous articles on hand surgery in peer reviewed journals including such topics as carpal tunnel syndrome, wrist instability, hand trauma and Kienböck's disease. He has also presented on hand surgery topics at national meetings. Dr. Wintman has been featured on WGBY's Doctors on Call program discussing hand and upper extremity problems. He has appeared on local news shows promoting hand safety in Western Massachusetts. Dr. Wintman has also appeared on Comcast SportsNet to discuss sports related hand injuries. Dr. Wintman was recently named one of the Top Doctors in the country by US News & World Report. He is dedicated to care of the hand and upper extremity and is proud to serve the communities of Western Massachusetts and Connecticut.

Dr. Wintman's Care Philosophy

Dr. Wintman has been in practice since 1998 as a hand and upper extremity surgeon. He has been in practice at The Hand Center of Western Massachusetts since 2000 when he began taking call for the Baystate Medical Hand service. He is Board Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery and has a Certificate of Added Qualifications in Surgery of the Hand. He continues to treat the entire spectrum of hand and upper extremity problems providing both surgical and nonoperative treatments as necessary. He is dedicated to care of the hand and upper extremity and is proud to serve the communities of Western Massachusetts and Connecticut.

Dr. Wintman's Experience

See how Dr. Wintman's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Wintman

Dr. Wintman accepts 24 insurance carriers

Dr. Wintman is now accepting new patients
3550 Main St
Springfield, MA 01107
(413) 733-2204Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 5 hospitals where Dr. Wintman has admitting privileges.

Dr. Wintman's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Wintman to family and friends
Dr. Wintman's Performance
in Ludlow, MAEasthampton, MA |
This is my second set of hand and wrist surgeries with Dr Wintman. As with my first surgeries, Dr Wintman kept me informed on the surgery procedures, what to expect for results and showed his genuine concern for an outcome we would both appreciate.
in Amherst, MA |
Explained conditions, options and treatments very well. Helpful, cordial, listened to my concerns, and made sure my questions were answered. In my opinion treatment was sucessful.
Holyoke, MA |
My experience with Dr. Wintman was 100% positive, from the first consult to the post-op follow-up. His initial exam was thorough, he explained the problem in detail, went over all treatment options giving careful attention to possible complications and the recovery process. I am very happy with the outcome of my surgery and would recommend Dr. Wintman to anyone with a problem involving the hand or shoulder.
in Southwick, MA |
I have been a patient of Dr. Wintman's for 13 years. I have had 4 hand surgeries and 1 shoulder surgery by Dr. Wintman. I wish every doctor's office was as patient oriented and professional as this one. Each surgery was a complete success.
in Tolland, MA |
Dr Wintman is à caring physician and an excellent surgeon. I have been Nader his car for several years snd I highly recommend him
in Westfield,MA. |
My hand surgery was pain and stress free. Dr Wintman did an excellent job. He explained thoroughly to me about procedures and what I would experience before and after surgery. Dr Wintman is a true professional as well as a caring and genuinely nice man whom I highly recommend.
in Amherst, MA |
Dr. Wintman very effectively handled pain from my arthritic thumb, enabling me to continuing doing the activities I like to do.
in Holyoke, MA |
I had a sever issue involving my rotator cuff and arthritis in my shoulder. The use and motion of this shoulder was very limited. Dr. Wintman performed the surgery and repaired my shoulder beyond my expectations. He made me feel at ease and treated me with respect. He was down to earth and fully explained the procedure and rehabilitation. He worked with physical therapy to get me back to where I am today. His office staff was very responsive and worked around my schedule.
in East Longmeadow, MA |
Dr. Wintman has performed surgery on me three times and I CAN'T SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT HIM! He's upbeat, has a great bedside manner and is an excellent surgeon. The people on his staff are always pleasant, helpful and efficient. Appointment wait time is short and if for some reason there happens to be a wait Dr. Wintman always apologizes!
in East Longmeadow, MA |
awesome, professional and excellent staff
in Warren MA |
I have found both the physician and staff to be most accommodating to me in all regards to my surgery as well as leave from my own practice from medicine-- totally would recommend these folks down the road and will probably be seeing them again for my next surgery in a year as my FMLA will not approve until this time--rock on Dr. Bruce!!!!!
Springfield, MA |
Empathic provider and his expertise is noticeable which makes you feel at ease.
in East Longmeadow |
Dr. Wintman was the doctor we selected for a second opinion for my broken right wrist. From the very first visit we knew he was professional and caring. Although his opinion was quite similar to my first, I felt that his experience was greater and his demeanor offered us more confidence. Scheduling surgery was a bit tricky due to the impending Christmas holiday and my insurance stipulations but now three months post surgery I feel great and know our decision was the right one.
in Agawam, MA |
What can I say...except that Dr. Wintman is everything you would want in a doctor and surgeon! Experienced, skillful, caring, patient,...These are just a few of his qualities. He put me at ease about my surgery and explained everything ....plus I am more than satisfied with the results. I would recommend Dr. Wintman to everyone !
in Somers,CT |
Dr. Wintman helped me dramatically reduce wrist pain due to arthritis. Now looking forward to the golf season!!
in Newington, CT |
Dr. Bruce I. Wintman is an excellent doctor who is very compassionate. He explains what the procedure will be and possible negative /positive results. My surgeries were very successful. The staff members in the office are so kind and caring and so helpful. Thank You http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Bruce_Wintman/reviews#ixzz4Z9Cg6I1f
Holyoke, MA |
Had carpe l tunnel surgery on January 24,my doctor Bruce Wintman was excellent, and very professional.My surgery was a success with minimal scarring,I strongly recommend the Hand Center of Western Mass, Both dr, and staff were very kind, helpful ad professional.Will be going back for surgery on my other hand, soon, Strongly recommend to family and friends,, Sincerley ,Ronald Ashey
in Chicopee, MA |
Dr. Wintman's education and medical experience speaks for his expertise and knowledge in the field of hand surgery. What I found to be his strongest quality as a doctor was his Patience, Caring, and Understanding towards the patient.
in Longmeadow, MA |
I would highly recommend Dr. Wintman to everyone! I had surgery in November for trigger finger...it couldn't have gone more smoothly. From the staff to the doctor, my overall experience was exceptional! Dr. Wintman was very thorough in explaining exactly what would take place and he actually listened to me when I voiced concerns!!!
in Springfield, MA |
Dr. Wintman explains every single detail of a problem and is extremely patient with any and all questions. He wants the patient to totally understand the treatment plan. He is a gentle soft spoken man that has the ability to make me feel comfortable and relaxed. I have never felt like he was thinking of a patient in the next room while he was taking care of me. I honestly can't imagine going to anyone except him. Thank you Dr. Wintman.
Caring , knowledgeable, involved
in Longmeadow, MA |
I had a small tumor removed from my thumb by Dr Wintman. I felt comfortable and cared for from beginning to end. He made me feel at ease at office visits and in the hospital before surgery. He called me the night after my surgery to see how I was feeling and promptly returned a call a few days later when I had a question. The office staff is very friendly. I highly recommend Dr. Wintman.
in Chicopee, MA |
I have had surgery twice with Dr. Wintman, and he is the best. All my questions were answered before I left the office, and his staff was the same. I am highly recommending Dr. Wintman.
in Wilbraham, MA |
I highly recommend this physician to anyone who is looking to resolve hand and wrist issues. He's extremely knowledgeable and very caring with all of your concerns.
in Springfield, MA |
Dr. Wintman has performed two surgeries on my wrists. Both the procedures were successful with tremendous relief for both my hands. I recommend him highly.
in Chicopee,MA |
Dr. Wintman is and excellent surgeon and always gives you plenty of time to ask any questions you my have.
in Holyoke, MA |
In July 2017 Dr. Wintman preformed endoscopic carpal tunnel release surgery on my right hand and in September 2017 I returned to Dr. Wintman for the same surgery on left hand. My experience was great, I picked the right doctor to preform the surgery, from start to finish Dr. Wintman informed me of what to expect before and after the surgery. I no longer have problems with my hands because of Dr. Wintman's excellent work. If you need CTRS, Dr. Wintman is the Doctor to see.
in Ware, MA |
One of the best ,he could not be any better.
in Westfield, MA |
I had a complete, thorough, well informed and excellent experience with Dr. Whintman, his staff and all the personnel at Baystate Medical. My proceduce went extremely smooth and exactly as I was told it would. My hand is healing excellent and the major discomfort I was feeling is all but gone. Thank you for an excellent experience!!
in Southwick, MA |
My experience at the Hand Center was excellent. The staff was friendly, caring and professional, and Dr. Wintman gave me the highest level of care I could have asked for. I visited him with hand pain and after a number of tests he diagnosed carpal tunnel and recommended surgery. Because I wanted to try a more conservative approach, he was very supportive and patient in helping me explore those options. Ultimately I did have the surgery, which went perfectly, and I am now pain free.
in Longmeadow, MA |
I cannot say enough nice things about The Hand Center and Dr. Bruce Wintman. The staff is uniformly friendly, helpful, and welcoming. Dr. Wintman has an exemplary bedside manner which relaxed me from the very beginning. I had 2 procedures done by him, and was very pleased in both cases. He was clear about what would happen, what the probability of success is, etc. If I ever have a hand problem again, there is nowhere else I would even consider going.
in Brimfield, MA |
Dr. Wintman diagnosed the problem I was having with my finger and treated conservatively. I ended up needing minor surgery which was done as an out patient. I am now healed and finger working normally.
in Westfield, MA |
He performed surgery on my wrist for carpal tunnel, he was an excellent Dr. before, during and after the surgery. I could not have asked for a more concerned and caring Dr. Hopefully I will be having my other wrist done in the near future and I don't want anyone but him to perform it. I have told people what a wonderful job he did and recommend him highly.
in Springfield, MA |
I met with Dr. Wintman in 2007 for carpal tunnel in both hands. Unfortunately, I waited until this year to have the surgeries. Everything went well but I regret waiting so long. I am glad I chose The Hand Center and Dr. Wintman. The office staff are very professional an easy to work with. My hands are much better and free of any pain.
in Brimfield Ma |
Excellent care. I have had 2 surgeries performed by Dr Wintman and both have gone extremely well with great results in recovery.
in Belchertown, MA |
Great Dr. and highly experienced surgeon! I have had a privilege to have Dr Wintman operate on my L hand. For yrs prior to seeing him I have had a severe pain, stiffness & numbness in my hand and since he performed the surgery for both the trigger finger and the carpal tunnel I have a full use of my left hand again. Both surgeries were a 100% success with fast recovery time. I am so grateful to him for everything he has done for me. It is wonderful to be able to go through the day without pain!
in Monson, MA |
Have been a patient of Dr Wintman for many years. He has seen me through Carpal Tunnel surgery, Trigger finger and now my arthritis woes. Always professional and he takes the time to fully explain everything to you. I have had great care and would always recommend him to anyone in need.
in Springfield, MA |
Relaxing manner,explains in a very clear way.
in Belchertown, MA |
Dr Wintman was very concerned with my hand problem and did a great job on my surgery excellent doctor
in Adams, MA |
Dr Wintman has taken care of problems with both of my hands through several surgeries over the past three years. He is always easy to talk to and provides the information needed for you to make a decision. He guides and suggests but does not force anything upon you. I have recommended him to a few people during that time and will continue to suggest him and The Hand Center for upper extremity problems. I will not hesitate to go back for any further problems I might have.
in Springfield, MA |
I was pleased with the care my seven year old son received from Dr. Wintman upon fracturing his small finger. He explained the injury and treatment very clearly. We'll return to Dr. Wintman if his services are ever required in the future.
in Belchertown, MA |
Dr. Wintman is kind, caring, very professional, and has a great personality. He listens to his patients, which for me, creates a better level of trust in the doctor/patient relationship. His office staff are always kind, courteous, and extremely helpful. My surgery resulted in a very short recovery period with all of my prior symptoms disappearing immediately. I would highly recommend Dr. Wintman to my friends and family.
in Adams, MA |
I would and have recommended Dr Wintman to people. He makes you feel very comfortable when you are there, I was not nervous at all, After my first visit with him years ago I recommended him to a friend of mine, who ended up having surgery from him. She was pleased then when it was my turn I was very at ease knowing what to expect . I would recommend him to everyone.
Have you seen Dr. Bruce Wintman, MD?
Are you Dr. Wintman?

Compare Dr. Wintman

Dr. Wintman says...

Dr. Wintman attended Wesleyan University graduating with high honors in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry. He completed his medical education at Harvard Medical School in 1991. He interned in general surgery at the Brigham and Women's Hospital followed by a residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at the Harvard Combined Program working at Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Children's Hospital in Boston. Following this training he was an Orthopaedic Trauma attending and Chief Resident at Brigham and Women's Hospital. In 1997, Dr. Wintman went on to complete a Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery Fellowship at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He is currently licensed in Massachusetts and Connecticut.  He is Board Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery and has a Certificate of Added Qualifications in Surgery of the Hand.

Dr. Wintman's Care Philosophy

Dr. Wintman has been in practice since 1998 as a hand and upper extremity surgeon.  He has been in practice at The Hand Center of Western Massachusetts since 2000 when he began taking call for the Baystate Medical Hand service.  He is Board Certified in Orthopaedic Surgery and has a Certificate of Added Qualifications in Surgery of the Hand.  He continues to treat the entire spectrum of hand and upper extremity problems providing both surgical and nonoperative treatments as necessary.  He is dedicated to care of the hand and upper extremity and is proud to serve the communities of Western Massachusetts and Connecticut.

Dr. Wintman's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery
  •  Board certified in Hand Surgery and Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Wintman has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Massachusetts.

Why It Matters: Dr. Wintman's Board Certifications

• Extra-Articular Fracture
  • Finger Disorders
  • Finger Injuries
  • Finger Joint Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Hand Neuropathy
  • Hand Pain
  • Intra-Articular Fracture
  • Joint Fracture
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Nerve Injury
  • Syndactyly
  • Tendon Disorders
  • Tendon Injuries
  • Tendonitis
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
  • Tenosynovitis

Allegheny Hospital

Completed in 1998

Wesleyan University

Graduated in 1987

Dr. Wintman does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Wintman and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery

• Digital X-Ray (CDR)
  • Endoscopic Hand Surgery
  • Endoscopic Wrist Surgery
  • Finger Joint Fusion
  • Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF)
  • Fracture and-or Dislocation Treatment