Dr. Brian Cole, MD

Dr. Brian Cole, MD

Sports Medicine Orthopedic Joint Reconstruction  |
Dr. Brian Cole, MD is a sports medicine orthopedic joint reconstruction doctor who practices in Oak Park, IL. He is 55 years old and has been practicing for 27 years. Read his story

610 S Maple Ave Ste 1550

Oak Park, IL 60304

• Amerigroup (Wellpoint)
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois
  • CoreSource

Learn about Dr. Cole

Dr. Cole's Experience

Dr. Cole's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Sports Medicine Orthopedic Joint Reconstruction
  • Board certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Cole's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Cole "Dr. Cole is a Professor in the Department of Orthopedics with a conjoint appointment in the Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois. In 2015, he was appointed as an Associate-Chairman of the Department of Orthopedics at Rush. In 2011, he was appointed as Chairman of Surgery at Rush Oak Park Hospital. He is the Section Head of the Cartilage Research and Restoration Center at Rush specializing in the treatment of arthritis in young active patients with a focus on regenerative medicine and biologic alternatives to surgery. He also serves as the head of the Orthopedic Master's Training Program and trains residents and fellows in sports medicine and research. He lectures nationally and internationally and holds several leadership positions in prominent sports medicine societies. Through his basic science and clinical research, he has developed several innovative techniques for the treatment of shoulder, elbow and knee conditions. He has published more than 1,000 articles and 10 widely read textbooks in orthopedics and regenerative medicine. Dr. Cole is frequently chosen as one of the "Best Doctors in America" since 2004 and as a "Top Doctor" in the Chicago metro area since 2003. In 2006, he was featured on the cover of Chicago Magazine as "Chicago's Top Doctor" and was selected as NBA Team Physician of the Year in 2009. Orthopedics This Week has named Dr. Cole as one of the top 20 sports medicine, knee and shoulder specialists repeatedly over the last 5 years as selected by his peers. He is the head team physician for the Chicago Bulls NBA team, co-team physician for the Chicago White Sox MLB team and DePaul University in Chicago."

This content was provided by Dr. Cole One of the things that I always remember is that these are people with joint pain and dysfunction. These are not knees and shoulders that hurt, but they're attached to people who have composite problems that may extend well beyond the initial reason they've come to us. We have to be very careful not to assign some objective finding to the patient's problem because we end up treating the wrong thing that way. We don't treat MRIs or X-rays. We treat people with pain and dysfunction. What I've learned is it's not necessarily how good we are technically. That's sort of a requisite commodity aspect of any surgeon's practice, but it's how you make decisions. Decision-making is largely predicated on our experience as physicians. And if we look at ourselves critically and how our patients have done, and what we've done to make them have an improved outcome, we can use every prior experience with our patients to benefit every subsequent patient that walks through the door.

• Sports Medicine Orthopedic Joint Reconstruction

• Elbow Sprain
  • Exertional Compartment Syndrome
  • Extremity Injuries
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Golfer's Elbow (Medial Epicondylitis)
  • Hip Sprain
  • Knee Pain
  • Knee Sprain
  • Knee Tendinitis
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Ligament Sprain
  • Systemic Chondromalacia
  • Tendon Disorders
  • Tendon Injuries
  • Tendonitis
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
  • Throwing Injuries

• Cartilage Transplant
  • Debridement
  • Distal Clavicle Excision Surgery
  • Elbow Reconstruction
  • Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF)
  • Fracture and-or Dislocation Treatment
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Subcromial Decompression
  • Total Shoulder Replacement
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

• University of Illinois At Urbana-Champaign
  • Hospital for Special Surgery
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1996
  • Hospital for Special Surgery
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1992
  • University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC)
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1997
  • University of Chicago
    Other Education | Completed 1989

Dr. Cole has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Cole does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Cole and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Cole's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Cole to family and friends
Dr. Cole's Performance
River grove il |
I had rotator cuff repair done by Dr. Cole and am very impressed with the results Dr Cole said I would be pain free after surgery and he was right! Dr Cole also provided much info per his patient website which was very helpful and informative.
in Watersmeet, Michigan |
I am grateful that Dr. Cole replaced my shoulder joint. Using his expertise, experience and knowledge, he replaced a very diseased joint with an excellent prosthesis and surgical repair, and gave me back my quality of life. Dr. Cole's entire team gave me effective, comprehensive and well thought out guidance and advice from my initial office contact through my final post-operative follow up appt. I have been treated by a number of orthopedic physicians, and Dr. Brian Cole is the best one.
in Lansing, IL |
Had my shoulder replaced by Dr Cole. Amazed with my results. Very minimal pain for a few days. Had more pain before surgery. My recovery and minimal pain is incredible. Even the therapist was amazed as to how fast recovery took. His staff was always there to assist.
in hobart, in |
After rupturing my pec I naturally looked for the best surgeon I could find. Fortunately Dr Coal was able to do my surgery. Even though he was booked, he fit my surgery in quickly because time was critical. Dr. Coles confidence assured me that I would be 100% after the recovery time. I was given an Email address that all his assistants would get if I had any questions post surgery. 5 months post surgery and doing 80% of my pre-injury bench press. NO PAIN ever during whole process.
in Winston-Salem, NC |
Dr. Cole and his team operated on my knee. I’ve had five previous surgeries on it to no avail. For 15 years I’ve battled intense pain and immobility. Once I met Dr. Cole I knew things were about to get better. His confidence and knowledge stood out. Here I stand, without pain, 15 weeks after surgery. I’m back to riding my horse and working out. For those of you who wonder if Dr. Cole is the right surgeon for the job, all I can say is he was for me. I’m 32 years old and finally have my life b
in Hinsdale |
Dr. Cole did a tremendous job on my ACL reconstruction surgery. He kept me calm from the moment I found out I had a torn ACL all the way until my surgery. I tore my ACL in basketball at a recreation league. On the surgery date, he did amazing work. He made my incisions even smaller than I imagined. My new ACL is strong! Thank you Dr. Cole for helping me get back to normal. I would strongly recommend him for an ACL or knee procedure.
in Chicago, IL |
I saw Dr. Cole for a rotator cuff and bicep repair on the left shoulder. The surgery went well and it was complicated. I went through physical therapy which restored full motion and comfort. Dr. Cole is an outstanding physician, surgeon and an extraordinary human being. He listened, assessed and solved the critical problems. I am profoundly grateful for his willingness and committment to perform a surgery that other orthopedic surgeons were reluctant to do. I am back to my former self.
Dover, NJ |
I had shoulder surgery,, Dr Cole explained what needed to be done beforehand & afterwards in a very professional manner,, going to his office for treatment was exactly what i needed to get back to normal
in Chicago, IL |
Amazed at the lack of pain and swelling after torn labrum and rotator cuff surgery. Because of this my recovery time was less then expected. I am very pleased with the level of care I received.
in Champaign, IL |
I am a competitive athlete and I fell and had a posterior labral tear and a fractured humeral head. When I had an appt with Dr. Cole, I explained my story without feeling rushed. He steered me toward more aggressive physical therapy, rather than surgery and was available via email to answer my follow-up questions. It was a tough road to recovery, but I was able to return to full function. Dr. Cole has the best qualities of a doctor: knowledge, experience, and listening skills!
in Chicago, IL |
I had an incredible experience with Dr. Cole. He has a phenomenal staff but more importantly, he is one of the best experienced surgeons I have ever met. Feel confident that they use the latest & greatest tools to make your procedure easy as possible. I had rotator cuff repair & it is an extremely painful recovery - as much as it is before the surgery. With Physical Therapy 3 days a week, 3 1/2 months out, I am 80% back to normal & even went swimming already with very little discomfort.
Cottage Grove, WI |
Amazing Doctor. Very conservative, but that is good.
in Palos Heights, IL |
I'm 71 year old male and i had total reverse shoulder replacement at Rush Hospital in Oak Park on January 27, 2017. The orthopedic doctor was Dr. Brian Cole. After the surgery it was a one night stay in the hospital, the nursing staff and aids provided outstanding service to make my stay as comfortable as possible. Physical therapy afterwards was conducted at Athletico. On June 7, I golfed 9 holes and on June 12, 18 holes. I would like to thank Dr. Cole and for his remarkable surgical skills.
Oak Park, IL |
An excellent experience overall. All members of Dr. cole's team were friendly, professional and caring. I had no wait except for my initial MRI scan, but then they apologized. My surgery was better than I had expected with no pain or soreness afterwards. I was back at work with a functioning shoulder in three days. Excellent follow up by phone and otherwise.
in Merrill, WI |
I had a cadaver bone graft of my Medial Femoral Condyle 7 months ago. Dr. Brian Cole was a miracle! I am now completely pain free for the first time in 4 years! I had 2 previous surgeries by other doctors and was diagnosed with RSD/CRPS. Dr. Cole was the only doctor to correctly diagnose and fix my problem! Dr. Cole goes beyond. He stayed late on a holiday weekend to conduct my scope. At my final appointment, he had a long talk with me about my future desires to be in the medical field.
in MI |
My teen daughter had a knee cadaver meniscus transplant 1 year ago due to bone on bone wear. The skills and communication of Dr. Cole and his PA's are beyond amazing. The surgery and results are a miracle. She went from excruciating walking pain/wheelchair to walking without pain in 4 months. At 8 months, it was like the injury & surgery never happened. We drove from 3 states away to see Dr. Cole, every trip was worth it. Emails were answered quickly. Very professional, thorough & talented.
in Bartlett, IL |
Dr. Cole is a World Class surgeon that we are lucky to have in Chicago. My 19 tear old son had shoulder surgery to repair a bone chip, 2nd dislocation and torn labrum. At five months out from the surgery has regained complete range of motion in his shoulder. Dr. Cole is very concerned about his patients. He is a very busy guy but he completely explains what he is going to do and answers every question. If he is your doctor, you are lucky to have him.
Omaha, NE |
After 6 knee surgeries and 2 failed cartilage (carticel) transplants I was referred to Dr Cole. He is very professional and his staff is wonderful. For the first time in 4 years I finally feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Chicago, IL |
My 13 year old daughter has had knee pain for 3.5 years with physical findings on X-rays and MRIs but no cause or reason or cure. We've seen countless doctors at multiple hospitals with no answers. We went to see Dr. Cole who suggested trying an injection, which no other doctor had ever recommended. 3 weeks post-injection her knee feels better than it has in years. She's currently on a hiking trip with school and called yesterday to report absolutely no pain. The injection made a huge difference
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Cole is very personable and takes the time to explain what your MRIs, medical reports that brought you to his practice and any other test(s) results mean and make sure you are aware of all the next steps and options are to make the best decision for you. I did not feel like a number that had 10 minutes with the doctor. Dr. Cole and his team show you that they care, treat you with respect and you leave your appointment knowing that you can entrust your care and life with him & the team.
in Mendota, IL |
Dr Cole repaired my right shoulder. It was my 3rd surgery (2 by others) on right shoulder. There was a night and day difference with my recovery and pain was almost non existent after surgery with Brian. I recommend using Dr. Cole if you need shoulder surgery. Bedside manner was exemplary.
Westchester, IL |
After years of searching the Midwest for an answer for my daughter's arthiritic pain, Dr. Cole was the answer. She has gone from constant pain to zero pain. JRA for her entire life, her knees took the brunt of it. Dr. Cole was willing to try to help. He had a plan. His plan worked!
in Des Plaines, IL |
So impressed with the professionalism and patient care from him and his entire staff. Day of surgery moves with clocklike precision. Knee is completely pain free. Running again.
in Chicago, IL |
I recently had the need for knee surgery and chose Dr. Cole as my surgeon. The entire process was a positive experience. Dr. Cole is very good at what he does, but what made a difference was his staff. They were excellent. All my questions were answered immediately, paperwork, insurance, follow up visits were all accomplished without any hint of delay. Have a good doctor is half the battle. Having a devoted and attentive staff makes a negative procedure so much more acceptable. Thank you al
in Ottawa, Ill |
Dr. Cole did a total shoulder replacement. Shoulder range of motion is great, never any pain issues at all
in Roanoke, IL |
After an ACL repair on my right knee, from a different doctor, i didn't get the range of motion back in my knee very well. After receiving a referral to see Dr Cole, he was confident in being able to get the motion back. He did a manipulation and put me in a fulcrum type leg cast for a few days afterward. After having the cast removed 5 days later i walked out with what feels like a brand new knee. My extension was incredible. Best decision of my life to see him. Thanks so much, Dr. Cole.
in Chicago, IL |
Had seen this doctor for an IME exam. He has been nothing but a good man. However, I waited for over three hours to see him in a fully packed waiting area. The funny thing is I always come early to doctor appointments . His staff were decent but not the caring type? No compassion. And the doctor spent less then 5 minutes when he did see me. Even though he does hundreds of these IME's for insurance companies He should cut the wait time down and give patients a little more time to explain.
Valparaiso, Indiana |
I had surgery on my shoulder by Dr.Cole..He fixed my problems I am feel great and I am glad, and thankful he is my doctor. I have had great experience with him and his staff.
Bourbonnais, IL |
Dr. Cole has a special gift as a surgeon and as a person. He listened to and respected my concerns; he always focused on me as the patient. 7 months after microfracture surgery, I can walk pain-free, and I am looking forward to returning to downhill skiing! I am still in physical therapy to rebuild muscle strength but that's part of the process. I am thankful to Dr. Cole and his supportive staff for my successful outcome. Words cannot describe how grateful I am! He has given me back my life!
Chicago, IL |
I was told i would need a knee replacement, and I asked for another opinion. I was sent to Dr cole, and he was able to save me from a knee replacement, and reduce the pain in my knee. I am so grateful.
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Cole listened to and respected every concern I had regarding my shoulder injury and surgery. He provided clear and concise information, maintained a reassuring bedside manner, and was always entirely focused on me as the patient. I have never felt more confident with the stability of my shoulder after my surgery. Without Dr. Cole, I would not be training and performing at the level required of me in the University of Michigan's BFA dance program. He saved my career.
in Crystal Lake, IL |
My local orthopedic told me that I needed to have a knee replacement in my early 40's after our large dog ran into my knee. Dr. Cole actually looked at my knee, looked at my test results, and talked with me. One minor adjustment in the operating room, and I am pain free. I am so grateful. He has given me back to my active family and lifestyle . . . The wait to see Dr. Cole is very long in the office. He is worth the wait!!!!! Amazing man - great doctor!!!
Rossville, IL |
Arrogant and totally self-interested. Missed my labrum tear and I ended up having to have 2 revisions to repair a severed nerve. Basically told me he is too busy to go back over the initial exam in order to establish a baseline.
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Cole performed a Medial Patellofremoral ligament Reconstruction on my 13 year old son Nicholas. He was unable to play all the sports he loved. He is 2 months post op and his knee has never been better. He is almost back to full activity. Thank you Dr. Cole. He now has a second chance to play all the sports he loves in High School.
in Chicago, IL |
I went to Dr. Cole after tearing my patellar tendon needing reattachment surgery. He took me two days after the accident and did the surgery two days after that. I went to Dr. Cole with hopes to have a complete recovery and getting back to running and triathlons by next summer, but expected this may not be possible. Four months post opp. and I am very happy with my progress and now optimistic for a full recovery! His bed side manner, staff and surgical abilities are second to none!
in Portage, IN |
I was referred to Dr. Cole by a friend and another Dr. at Midwest Orthopedics who also treated me and what I liked most of all was that was honest, sincere, and professional. He listened to me he heard what my concerns were and assured me that my problem could be fixed, and what I liked most of all was he didn't push me for surgery he gave me several others options and helped me deal with my pain until I was ready for surgery. Now I am pain free after 5 years thank you Dr. Cole
in Chicago, IL |
My experience with Dr. Brian Cole was absolutely amazing. I had a partial tear of the rotator cuff that he performed surgery on. Within 8 weeks of surgery, I have full range of motion and no pain. Dr. Cole and his team walked me through the entire process and exceeded my expectations. If you are in need for any ortho procedure, I would HIGHLY recommend you make an appointment and go see Dr. Cole.
in Kalamazoo, MI |
He was a great surgeon. He didn't make me feel like I was just another patient, he was very welcoming and nice. The pain since my surgery is so minimal. When I came to see Dr. Cole I was in unbareable amounts of pain, and now I barely feel anything. So, Thank you Dr. Cole.
in Glendale Heights, IL |
Really this doctor was to give an IME on a TORN MENISCUS of the left knee. He was not to suggest or solicit any treatment yet he suggested injections. He was trying to blame this on my arthritis but in fact I have arthritis in my right knee. I fell and hit both knees during this incident but have no problems with the right knee although a large bruise was sustained. Medical evidence after showed a torn meniscus. Yes I have been using a cane also used crutches before which he never asked.
in Brandon, FL |
I traveled from Tampa, Fl to see Dr.Cole and i am so happy I did. I am 20 years old and have had daily pain from my cartilage damage in my knee for years. I was unable to run, take stairs, etc. Before Dr.Cole I had been to multiple orthopedic surgeons here in Florida, had 3 knee surgeries and still no success. I am now 7 weeks post op from my cartilage transplant Dr.Cole preformed and have not felt this good in years. The pain is gone and I am thrilled. highly recommend Dr.Cole!
in Shorewood, IL |
I've had severe arthritis in my joints for years, going on three years with my shoulder. Several doctors tried everything; shots, therapy, acupuncture, arthroscopic surgery, more therapy. Dr. Cole was recommended and was immediately told I needed a total replacement. Just a few weeks ago that was done and I am so glad. It has gone extremely well and healing is really ahead of schedule. Thank you, Dr. Cole and your entire staff.
in lynwood il |
amazing doctor
in Powell, OH |
I was referred to Dr. Brian Cole by my Columbus, OH doctor. He wanted to perform a Medial Femoral Condyle Osteochondral Allograft Transplant. The staff was absolutely amazing! They called to check in on me a few times post-surgery. Any question I had, they responded within a few hours. Just amazing. I was still experiencing some pain and Dr. Cole, he was extremely comforting and encouraging. I am out running again, playing sand volleyball and successfully competing in CrossFit. 1000% happy!
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Cole did a fantastic job on my left knee meniscectomy - he understood that I was in pain when I came in, understood my needs and even proposed doing the surgery the next day. Since surgery, the pain has all gone away and I have full motion back - very happy with the result. Immediately following surgery I had minimal pain and was walking around very easily with no crutches. Would highly recommend Dr Cole.
in Elgin, Il |
Dr. Cole and his entire staff was wonderful from the first appointment to my post surgery release. Everything was explained completely and the surgery was great. It has been 6 weeks since my surgery and the improvement in my mobility is amazing.
in London, UK |
Dr Cole performed a meniscectomy on my knee and my recovery has been seamless. I attribute my recovery to his focus and skills. Dr. Cole along with his administrative and medical team provided the necessary support I needed from managing pre-op expectations and necessary tests to post-op expectations and care. Everything ran efficiently and effectively throughout.
in Roselawn, IN |
I found Dr. Cole four years ago after an awful experience with another knee doctor. His experience and care was unmatched to any other doctor I have met and I knew I had found my guy. Years of unexplained knee pain had left me feeling discouraged and at the age of 30, I knew I needed major help! After lots of careful consideration, we opted for a cell graft surgery. And with one more small, minor clean up surgery after that, I am pain free!!! I highly recommend him to everyone I know!!
in Chicago, Il |
My experience was wonderful with Dr. Cole and his team from start to finish! Before surgery I had extreme instability in my shoulder, I could not even close a car door without it coming out of socket. Now, my shoulder is completely stable, able to be used for any activity! I am very grateful to have my quality of life back, being able to finally do activities that I haven't been able to do for over 10 years! Thank you so much Dr. Cole!
in Chicago, IL |
I visited Dr. Cole due to a medial meniscus tear which was frustrating me over the last 4 months during playing recreational basketball. I had an MRI by another physician and was convinced to underwent surgery. Thanks to Dr. Cole I tried another round of conservative treatment with an injection and physical therapy and now I'm back playing baskteball. I really appreciate the time he spent to discuss about options and to reassure my concerns about living the rest of my life with a torn meniscus.
in Annawan IL 61234 |
My daughter is 16 years of age and a highly competitive basketball player. She is a Blue star top 100 player in national rankings and given a verbal commitment to continue her basketball career at Arizona State University. After experiencing a ACL tear during her 10th grade basketball season. We researched the entire country for the best doctor/hospital. We reached out to Doctor Cole and he connected with jayde during our first visit. Doctor Cole was amazing in all phases of our experience!
Have you seen Dr. Brian Cole, MD?
Are you Dr. Cole?

• Coventry Health Care of Illinois
    Coventry Health Care of Illinois PPO
    Health and Life PPO
    Platinum PPO
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA