Dr. Brian J. Cole, MD

Dr. Brian J. Cole, MD

Sports Medicine Orthopedic Joint Reconstruction | Male | 54 years old

One of the things that I always remember is that these are people with joint pain and dysfunction. These are not knees and shoulders that hurt, but they're attached to people who have composite problems that may extend well beyond the initial reason they've come to us. We have to be very careful not to assign some objective finding to the patient's problem because we end up treating the wrong thing that way. We don't treat MRIs or X-rays. We treat people with pain and dysfunction. What I've learned is it's not necessarily how good we are technically. That's sort of a requisite commodity aspect of any surgeon's practice, but it's how you make decisions. Decision-making is largely predicated on our experience as physicians. And if we look at ourselves critically and how our patients have done, and what we've done to make them have an improved outcome, we can use every prior experience with our patients to benefit every subsequent patient that walks through the door.Read more

Dr. Cole's Experience

See how Dr. Cole's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Cole

Dr. Cole accepts 26 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Cole has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

×

Dr. Cole's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Cole to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Cole
Dr. Cole's Office & Staff
    10 – 15 minutes (226)
in Shorewood, IL |
I've had severe arthritis in my joints for years, going on three years with my shoulder. Several doctors tried everything; shots, therapy, acupuncture, arthroscopic surgery, more therapy. Dr. Cole was recommended and was immediately told I needed a total replacement. Just a few weeks ago that was done and I am so glad. It has gone extremely well and healing is really ahead of schedule. Thank you, Dr. Cole and your entire staff.
in lynwood il |
amazing doctor
in St Charles, IL |
After having visited two other orthopedic surgeons who did not note that my MRI indicated that I may have avascular necrosis, Dr. Cole was a welcome change. His approach was conservative and less invasive on the first surgery. The second surgery, I had a total shoulder replacement. He has been caring and informative throughout the whole process. I have no qualms about recommending him to anyone who may be considering shoulder surgery. His support staff has been wonderful as well.
in Powell, OH |
I was referred to Dr. Brian Cole by my Columbus, OH doctor. He wanted to perform a Medial Femoral Condyle Osteochondral Allograft Transplant. The staff was absolutely amazing! They called to check in on me a few times post-surgery. Any question I had, they responded within a few hours. Just amazing. I was still experiencing some pain and Dr. Cole, he was extremely comforting and encouraging. I am out running again, playing sand volleyball and successfully competing in CrossFit. 1000% happy!
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Cole did a fantastic job on my left knee meniscectomy - he understood that I was in pain when I came in, understood my needs and even proposed doing the surgery the next day. Since surgery, the pain has all gone away and I have full motion back - very happy with the result. Immediately following surgery I had minimal pain and was walking around very easily with no crutches. Would highly recommend Dr Cole.
in Elgin, Il |
Dr. Cole and his entire staff was wonderful from the first appointment to my post surgery release. Everything was explained completely and the surgery was great. It has been 6 weeks since my surgery and the improvement in my mobility is amazing.
in London, UK |
Dr Cole performed a meniscectomy on my knee and my recovery has been seamless. I attribute my recovery to his focus and skills. Dr. Cole along with his administrative and medical team provided the necessary support I needed from managing pre-op expectations and necessary tests to post-op expectations and care. Everything ran efficiently and effectively throughout.
in Roselawn, IN |
I found Dr. Cole four years ago after an awful experience with another knee doctor. His experience and care was unmatched to any other doctor I have met and I knew I had found my guy. Years of unexplained knee pain had left me feeling discouraged and at the age of 30, I knew I needed major help! After lots of careful consideration, we opted for a cell graft surgery. And with one more small, minor clean up surgery after that, I am pain free!!! I highly recommend him to everyone I know!!
in Chicago, Il |
My experience was wonderful with Dr. Cole and his team from start to finish! Before surgery I had extreme instability in my shoulder, I could not even close a car door without it coming out of socket. Now, my shoulder is completely stable, able to be used for any activity! I am very grateful to have my quality of life back, being able to finally do activities that I haven't been able to do for over 10 years! Thank you so much Dr. Cole!
in Chicago, IL |
I visited Dr. Cole due to a medial meniscus tear which was frustrating me over the last 4 months during playing recreational basketball. I had an MRI by another physician and was convinced to underwent surgery. Thanks to Dr. Cole I tried another round of conservative treatment with an injection and physical therapy and now I'm back playing baskteball. I really appreciate the time he spent to discuss about options and to reassure my concerns about living the rest of my life with a torn meniscus.
in Annawan IL 61234 |
My daughter is 16 years of age and a highly competitive basketball player. She is a Blue star top 100 player in national rankings and given a verbal commitment to continue her basketball career at Arizona State University. After experiencing a ACL tear during her 10th grade basketball season. We researched the entire country for the best doctor/hospital. We reached out to Doctor Cole and he connected with jayde during our first visit. Doctor Cole was amazing in all phases of our experience!
in Annawan, IL |
I've met with Dr. Cole about 4 times and every time I meet with him he is very caring and listens to what I have to say. He repaired my ACL and did a phenomenal job. He takes time with me, and makes sure I fully understand what is going on. Answers all my questions I have. Makes me feel comfortable and like I'm in great hands. Overall a great doctor. He actually makes me want to become a doctor just like him someday.
in Chicago |
A perfect experience. He has an incredibly busy practice but I always felt like I was his only patient. The surgery on my labrum got me back to tennis in nearly 3 months and I have absolutely no pain! He was thorough, available and tried to help me initially avoid surgery with an injection and PT....ultimately, I felt that surgery was my only option and he agreed! I really could not be more pleased with the process and would allow him to operate on any of my family and friends!
in Chicago, IL |
Dr Cole's and his team are no less than amazing. The entire process from my initial non operative management to my surgery was efficient, educational and transparent. He even allowed me to watch the surgery while it was being performed on my shoulder. I am back to swimming thanks to him, his PAs who were always available nearly 24/7 and his staff. If you want to see what he stands for check out his TED talk "Spare the Scalple" as it represents his ethics, compassion and competence!
in Downers Grove, IL |
I had a massive rotator cuff tear as a result of a fall. Dr. Cole was able to repair the damage in a 1 hour surgery. After four months of PT my shoulder is in excellent shape. I highly recommend Dr. Cole for his surgical skills as well as for the overall professionalism of Midwest Orthopedics.
in Clarendon Hills, IL |
Dr. Cole changed my life by repairing my knee, allowing me the mobility to do the things I have not done in a year due to an injury. A different surgeon told me to limit my activities due to my poor anatomy, and Dr. Cole was able to fix it and give my knee the stability I need to ski, hike and enjoy life. Dr. Cole's physician assistants were extremely helpful and I could easily contact them with questions or concerns. The entire team was phenomenal and I would highly recommend them.
in Chicago, IL |
I thought Dr Cole was wonderful. He was very responsive, my appointments were always on time, and I obtained a great result from the surgery. He is a first rate ortho.
in Oak Park, IL |
I was under another surgeons care for several months with an injury from a skiing accident before being recommended to Brian Cole by a neighbor for a second opinion. After examining me he asked me about some of the activities I do and how not having an ACL was restricting me. Also letting me know I could undoubtedly live a long life without one. I made my decision to go ahead with the surgery. I'm so pleased with the outcome and highly recommend! Go the the BEST first!
in Champaign, IL |
I've had surgeries performed by Dr. Cole and his team on both of my knees and I cannot say enough about how incredible the ENTIRE team is. After researching Dr. Cole, it's apparent he's known worldwide for his expertise. I had been told by my first surgeon I was going to be limited to swimming and biking for the rest of my life and, at age 29, I wasn't willing to accept that. Dr. Cole wasn't willing to accept that either. He got me back to being able to do my pre-injury activities. AMAZING!
in Buchanan, MI |
Dr. Cole and his Kyle Pilz were amazing in my recovery! He removed part of my IT Band after years of knee pain from my IT Band, and I recovered 100% and ran my first 1/2 marathon a year later with no knee pain. I drove about 2 hours to see him multiple times in his office and he always spent a lot of time listening to me and keeping in contact with me when I was home. I am grateful for the support from him and his staff!
Oak Park, IL |
Enjoyed it
in DuPage, Illinois |
Dr. Cole is apparently an expert surgeon. That may be -- though he never fixed me -- but he is a terrible doctor. He is plenty friendly, though you'll see him for 10 minutes on the first visit and 2 every time after. The typical wait in his office is 2 hours, though be ready for up to 4. You'll typically see the P.A.'s, are are experienced, good at explaining, and exceptionally kind, but they aren't the expert doctor. All of the secretaries are great, though the administrators are awful.
Woodridge, IL |
My daughter had a labrum injury to her shoulder. Dr Cole and his team attended to her promptly and the repair was successful.
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Cole came highly recommended from an employee at Rush. His office worked like a well-oiled machine! Even though I had to wait a few months to initially get into him, it was so worth the wait. The customer service and immediate responses from he and his team once I got in the practice was second to none. He didn't just treat my knee condition. He forced me to address my lifestyle as a method of buying into my own self-car. He treated my whole person...not just my knee.
in Chicago, IL |
just want cash money and refused to treat the patient in need. and cancelled the appointment after knowing that he has to wait for money
Lansing, MI |
Before I saw this surgeon, I had underwent 5 knee scopes with 5 meniscus repairs. I have not been able to run in years. I lived with chronic knee pain on a daily basis. I live about 4 hours away from this doctor but I was willing to go see what he had to say and to see if he felt my knee was fixable. I was a candidate for a meniscus transplant and I have to say it was one of the best descions I have ever made in my life. His office communicates well with you via phone and email. I always had an
in Orland Park, IL |
I had Dr Cole operate on both my rotator cuff issues...one had 2 complete detachments and and the other a significant tear. His expertise, demeanor, bedside manor were fantastic. very satisfied with the results. i would use him again if i needed him for any orthopedic issues but i am pretty certain he specializes on the knee and shoulder. sometimes a wait in the waiting roombut i expect that and when u see the doctor and his PA's you get such great care. highly recommend !
in Midland, MI |
After already having 4 knee surgeries I had given up hope that I would ever stand or walk, let alone run without pain again. Dr. Cole was confident that not only could I perform daily tasks but also live an active life. Going to Dr. Cole was such an easy decision with the promises he was able to keep as he performed an Osteochondral Allograft Transplant (cartilage transplant). I?m EXTREMELY happy to say that I can now do things that I haven?t been able to do in ten years! Thank you Dr. Cole!
in Chicago, IL |
After many frustrating years, I was recommended to Dr. Cole by a friend. I am an active 34 year old and was unable to do a lot of the things I enjoy because of an old injury causing so much pain and weakness in my knee. After a big surgery last year, I can finally say that I feel great again. I'm able to do things that I couldn't do a year ago and I have Dr. Cole to thank for that! He and his PA's (thanks, Kevin!) are top notch and you can't find any better than them here.
in Grand Ridge, IL |
Dr. Cole and his staff are incredibly professional, while still being very personal. The office is efficient, clean, welcoming, and does a great job at portraying the standard of what orthopedics should be. I would strongly recommend Dr. Cole to anyone with a joint problem!
in Bloomington, IL |
My son had a fractured collarbone on the first day of basketball practice his freshman year that local surgeons wouldn't touch. After being consulted by the local orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Cole called me, explained the reasons for surgery and somehow go him in for surgery the next day. My son recovered quickly enough that he played the last two weeks of the basketball season. He still plays basketball and football and was able to play in the f-ball state championship game in his sophomore year.
in Schiller Park, IL |
I have had both shoulders replaced by Dr. Cole and they are both as good as ever. I highly recommend him.
in brooklyn, ny |
Dr. Cole and his staff are amazing!!!! For the past 6 years i have been in touch with Dr.Cole and his office after having a Meniscal Transplant. Anytime I had any questions he is always available by email or phone and responds in a timely fashion.... I couldn't have asked for a better team to help me get through those trying times when i had knee issues!!!! May god continue to give Dr. Cole and his staff the strength to continue helping heal many more patients
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Cole and his entire team were extremely professional, excellent about answering my questions, and I was very pleased with the results of my ACL surgery. Dr. Cole and team are really top notch, and I would recommend them to anyone.
in Chicago, IL. |
From the first day I walked into his office everything was great, Dr. Cole was very professional and thorough, his physicians of assistant's were professional and thorough also. He made me feel comfortable with the surgery I was having. And I am 100% satisfied with Dr. Cole and each one of his staff members that I came in contact with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
in Cicero, IL |
Dr. Cole works with the Chicago Bulls. He did my acl reconstruction surgery and i could not have been more glad that i chose him. He is very professional and tells you things with confidence and gets straight to the point. In my opinion, he is the best orthopedic in Illinois. I had my acl surgery about 5 months ago and everything is going great. Easy to talk to and his staff is amazing as well.
in Indian Head Park, IL |
Dr. Cole did surgery on my wife for a torn rotator cuff. This was a workman comp claim and needed a second opinion for surgery. Thank goodness Dr. Cole was recommended. My wife was so relieved after the consultation because he took time to explain the procedure and answer any and all questions she had for him. She later had the surgery done by him. All the follow ups were also great. I can't say enough about how great of a Doctor and person he is.
in Lemont, IL |
Dr. Cole was great from my first visit, I knew he was the doctor I wanted to do my surgery. I just felt so comfortable with him.
in Illinois |
My knee had developed severe arthritis due to poor joint tracking issues. (I am in my mid-twenties currently). The pain was negatively affecting my daily life. I was referred by my orthopedic surgeon in town to Dr. Cole. Dr. Cole is AMAZING! He preformed a Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy with a MPFL reconstruction on my left knee. While I still have a long way to go, I am able to walk normal and PAIN FREE! He is intelligent, honest, caring, professional, and leading the way with his research!
in Chicago, IL |
Has surgery backpack in the year 2000. Dr. Cole was my surgeon on my knee. Had my ACL replaced. Following his instructions as well as as physical therapy he ordered and had great results. After 15 years my knee works great. Since everything went well I have not had any reason to schedule an office visit.
in Chicago, IL |
Phenomenal diagnostician and surgeon!
in Naples, FL |
Two years ago, I traveled to Chicago to see Dr. Cole after seeing a board certified, Sports Med, Castle Connolly, Ortho Surgeon in SW Florida who recommended surgery for my knee. Dr. Cole had the experience, knowledge and character to recommend against surgery. Few doctors would do this. He is definitely someone who you can trust to do the right thing for you. He is the BEST!
in Aurora, IL |
Dr. Cole is an amazing and gifted surgeon. Although he is extremely busy, he took the time to really listen to me and the problems I had been having with my knee. I had an injury at 15 that I have been compensating for the last 27 years. He did not dismiss me as an old out of shape housewife. Rather he took me seriously and I have had so much improvement after surgery, it is a miracle!!! He has physician assistants that help him. but they are also truly wonderful and skilled clinicians!!
Have you seen Dr. Brian J. Cole, MD?
Are you Dr. Cole?

Compare Dr. Cole

Dr. Cole's Care Philosophy

Dr. Cole's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Sports Medicine Orthopedic Joint Reconstruction
  •  Board certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Cole has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

Why It Matters: Dr. Cole's Board Certifications

• Elbow Sprain
  • Exertional Compartment Syndrome
  • Extremity Injuries
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Golfer's Elbow (Medial Epicondylitis)
  • Hip Sprain
  • Knee Pain
  • Knee Sprain
  • Knee Tendinitis
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Ligament Sprain
  • Systemic Chondromalacia
  • Tendon Disorders
  • Tendon Injuries
  • Tendonitis
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
  • Throwing Injuries

Hospital for Special Surgery

Completed in 1996

Hospital for Special Surgery

Completed in 1992

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC)

Completed in 1997

University of Illinois At Urbana-Champaign

Graduated in 1985

• Other Education
    University of Chicago

Completed in 1989

Dr. Cole does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Cole and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Sports Medicine Orthopedic Joint Reconstruction

• Cartilage Transplant
  • Debridement
  • Distal Clavicle Excision Surgery
  • Elbow Reconstruction
  • Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF)
  • Fracture and-or Dislocation Treatment