Dr. Brian Cole, MD

Dr. Brian Cole, MD

Sports Medicine Orthopedic Joint Reconstruction | Male | 54 years old

263 reviews| Leave a review
You've got options
Here's a few other providers to consider
Narrow your results

One of the things that I always remember is that these are people with joint pain and dysfunction. These are not knees and shoulders that hurt, but they're attached to people who have composite problems that may extend well beyond the initial reason they've come to us. We have to be very careful not to assign some objective finding to the patient's problem because we end up treating the wrong thing that way. We don't treat MRIs or X-rays. We treat people with pain and dysfunction. What I've learned is it's not necessarily how good we are technically. That's sort of a requisite commodity aspect of any surgeon's practice, but it's how you make decisions. Decision-making is largely predicated on our experience as physicians. And if we look at ourselves critically and how our patients have done, and what we've done to make them have an improved outcome, we can use every prior experience with our patients to benefit every subsequent patient that walks through the door.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Cole's Experience

See how Dr. Cole's experience matches your preferences.

View Video

Visiting Dr. Cole

Dr. Cole accepts 26 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Cole has admitting privileges.

Dr. Cole's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Cole to family and friends
Dr. Cole's Performance
Westchester, IL |
After years of searching the Midwest for an answer for my daughter's arthiritic pain, Dr. Cole was the answer. She has gone from constant pain to zero pain. JRA for her entire life, her knees took the brunt of it. Dr. Cole was willing to try to help. He had a plan. His plan worked!
in Des Plaines, IL |
So impressed with the professionalism and patient care from him and his entire staff. Day of surgery moves with clocklike precision. Knee is completely pain free. Running again.
in Chicago, IL |
I recently had the need for knee surgery and chose Dr. Cole as my surgeon. The entire process was a positive experience. Dr. Cole is very good at what he does, but what made a difference was his staff. They were excellent. All my questions were answered immediately, paperwork, insurance, follow up visits were all accomplished without any hint of delay. Have a good doctor is half the battle. Having a devoted and attentive staff makes a negative procedure so much more acceptable. Thank you al
in Ottawa, Ill |
Dr. Cole did a total shoulder replacement. Shoulder range of motion is great, never any pain issues at all
in Davisburg, MI |
My daughter had a meniscus transplant to her knee. It is a rare procedure and must be performed by a doctor with exceptional knowledge and surgical skills. After much research, and a strong recommendation from the head of orthopedics at a Michigan hospital, we decided Dr. Brian Cole was the doctor for her. The level of care, kindness, and communication by Dr. Cole and his Physician Assistants prior to and after the transplant was phenomenal. Dr. Cole and his team performed a miracle. Thanks!
in Roanoke, IL |
After an ACL repair on my right knee, from a different doctor, i didn't get the range of motion back in my knee very well. After receiving a referral to see Dr Cole, he was confident in being able to get the motion back. He did a manipulation and put me in a fulcrum type leg cast for a few days afterward. After having the cast removed 5 days later i walked out with what feels like a brand new knee. My extension was incredible. Best decision of my life to see him. Thanks so much, Dr. Cole.
in Chicago, IL |
Had seen this doctor for an IME exam. He has been nothing but a good man. However, I waited for over three hours to see him in a fully packed waiting area. The funny thing is I always come early to doctor appointments . His staff were decent but not the caring type? No compassion. And the doctor spent less then 5 minutes when he did see me. Even though he does hundreds of these IME's for insurance companies He should cut the wait time down and give patients a little more time to explain.
Valparaiso, Indiana |
I had surgery on my shoulder by Dr.Cole..He fixed my problems I am feel great and I am glad, and thankful he is my doctor. I have had great experience with him and his staff.
Bourbonnais, IL |
Dr. Cole has a special gift as a surgeon and as a person. He listened to and respected my concerns; he always focused on me as the patient. 7 months after microfracture surgery, I can walk pain-free, and I am looking forward to returning to downhill skiing! I am still in physical therapy to rebuild muscle strength but that's part of the process. I am thankful to Dr. Cole and his supportive staff for my successful outcome. Words cannot describe how grateful I am! He has given me back my life!
Chicago, IL |
I was told i would need a knee replacement, and I asked for another opinion. I was sent to Dr cole, and he was able to save me from a knee replacement, and reduce the pain in my knee. I am so grateful.
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Cole listened to and respected every concern I had regarding my shoulder injury and surgery. He provided clear and concise information, maintained a reassuring bedside manner, and was always entirely focused on me as the patient. I have never felt more confident with the stability of my shoulder after my surgery. Without Dr. Cole, I would not be training and performing at the level required of me in the University of Michigan's BFA dance program. He saved my career.
in Crystal Lake, IL |
My local orthopedic told me that I needed to have a knee replacement in my early 40's after our large dog ran into my knee. Dr. Cole actually looked at my knee, looked at my test results, and talked with me. One minor adjustment in the operating room, and I am pain free. I am so grateful. He has given me back to my active family and lifestyle . . . The wait to see Dr. Cole is very long in the office. He is worth the wait!!!!! Amazing man - great doctor!!!
Rossville, IL |
Arrogant and totally self-interested. Missed my labrum tear and I ended up having to have 2 revisions to repair a severed nerve. Basically told me he is too busy to go back over the initial exam in order to establish a baseline.
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Cole performed a Medial Patellofremoral ligament Reconstruction on my 13 year old son Nicholas. He was unable to play all the sports he loved. He is 2 months post op and his knee has never been better. He is almost back to full activity. Thank you Dr. Cole. He now has a second chance to play all the sports he loves in High School.
in Chicago, IL |
I went to Dr. Cole after tearing my patellar tendon needing reattachment surgery. He took me two days after the accident and did the surgery two days after that. I went to Dr. Cole with hopes to have a complete recovery and getting back to running and triathlons by next summer, but expected this may not be possible. Four months post opp. and I am very happy with my progress and now optimistic for a full recovery! His bed side manner, staff and surgical abilities are second to none!
in Portage, IN |
I was referred to Dr. Cole by a friend and another Dr. at Midwest Orthopedics who also treated me and what I liked most of all was that was honest, sincere, and professional. He listened to me he heard what my concerns were and assured me that my problem could be fixed, and what I liked most of all was he didn't push me for surgery he gave me several others options and helped me deal with my pain until I was ready for surgery. Now I am pain free after 5 years thank you Dr. Cole
in Chicago, IL |
My experience with Dr. Brian Cole was absolutely amazing. I had a partial tear of the rotator cuff that he performed surgery on. Within 8 weeks of surgery, I have full range of motion and no pain. Dr. Cole and his team walked me through the entire process and exceeded my expectations. If you are in need for any ortho procedure, I would HIGHLY recommend you make an appointment and go see Dr. Cole.
in Kalamazoo, MI |
He was a great surgeon. He didn't make me feel like I was just another patient, he was very welcoming and nice. The pain since my surgery is so minimal. When I came to see Dr. Cole I was in unbareable amounts of pain, and now I barely feel anything. So, Thank you Dr. Cole.
in Glendale Heights, IL |
Really this doctor was to give an IME on a TORN MENISCUS of the left knee. He was not to suggest or solicit any treatment yet he suggested injections. He was trying to blame this on my arthritis but in fact I have arthritis in my right knee. I fell and hit both knees during this incident but have no problems with the right knee although a large bruise was sustained. Medical evidence after showed a torn meniscus. Yes I have been using a cane also used crutches before which he never asked.
in Brandon, FL |
I traveled from Tampa, Fl to see Dr.Cole and i am so happy I did. I am 20 years old and have had daily pain from my cartilage damage in my knee for years. I was unable to run, take stairs, etc. Before Dr.Cole I had been to multiple orthopedic surgeons here in Florida, had 3 knee surgeries and still no success. I am now 7 weeks post op from my cartilage transplant Dr.Cole preformed and have not felt this good in years. The pain is gone and I am thrilled. highly recommend Dr.Cole!
in Shorewood, IL |
I've had severe arthritis in my joints for years, going on three years with my shoulder. Several doctors tried everything; shots, therapy, acupuncture, arthroscopic surgery, more therapy. Dr. Cole was recommended and was immediately told I needed a total replacement. Just a few weeks ago that was done and I am so glad. It has gone extremely well and healing is really ahead of schedule. Thank you, Dr. Cole and your entire staff.
in lynwood il |
amazing doctor
in St Charles, IL |
After having visited two other orthopedic surgeons who did not note that my MRI indicated that I may have avascular necrosis, Dr. Cole was a welcome change. His approach was conservative and less invasive on the first surgery. The second surgery, I had a total shoulder replacement. He has been caring and informative throughout the whole process. I have no qualms about recommending him to anyone who may be considering shoulder surgery. His support staff has been wonderful as well.
in Powell, OH |
I was referred to Dr. Brian Cole by my Columbus, OH doctor. He wanted to perform a Medial Femoral Condyle Osteochondral Allograft Transplant. The staff was absolutely amazing! They called to check in on me a few times post-surgery. Any question I had, they responded within a few hours. Just amazing. I was still experiencing some pain and Dr. Cole, he was extremely comforting and encouraging. I am out running again, playing sand volleyball and successfully competing in CrossFit. 1000% happy!
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Cole did a fantastic job on my left knee meniscectomy - he understood that I was in pain when I came in, understood my needs and even proposed doing the surgery the next day. Since surgery, the pain has all gone away and I have full motion back - very happy with the result. Immediately following surgery I had minimal pain and was walking around very easily with no crutches. Would highly recommend Dr Cole.
in Elgin, Il |
Dr. Cole and his entire staff was wonderful from the first appointment to my post surgery release. Everything was explained completely and the surgery was great. It has been 6 weeks since my surgery and the improvement in my mobility is amazing.
in London, UK |
Dr Cole performed a meniscectomy on my knee and my recovery has been seamless. I attribute my recovery to his focus and skills. Dr. Cole along with his administrative and medical team provided the necessary support I needed from managing pre-op expectations and necessary tests to post-op expectations and care. Everything ran efficiently and effectively throughout.
in Roselawn, IN |
I found Dr. Cole four years ago after an awful experience with another knee doctor. His experience and care was unmatched to any other doctor I have met and I knew I had found my guy. Years of unexplained knee pain had left me feeling discouraged and at the age of 30, I knew I needed major help! After lots of careful consideration, we opted for a cell graft surgery. And with one more small, minor clean up surgery after that, I am pain free!!! I highly recommend him to everyone I know!!
in Chicago, Il |
My experience was wonderful with Dr. Cole and his team from start to finish! Before surgery I had extreme instability in my shoulder, I could not even close a car door without it coming out of socket. Now, my shoulder is completely stable, able to be used for any activity! I am very grateful to have my quality of life back, being able to finally do activities that I haven't been able to do for over 10 years! Thank you so much Dr. Cole!
in Chicago, IL |
I visited Dr. Cole due to a medial meniscus tear which was frustrating me over the last 4 months during playing recreational basketball. I had an MRI by another physician and was convinced to underwent surgery. Thanks to Dr. Cole I tried another round of conservative treatment with an injection and physical therapy and now I'm back playing baskteball. I really appreciate the time he spent to discuss about options and to reassure my concerns about living the rest of my life with a torn meniscus.
in Annawan IL 61234 |
My daughter is 16 years of age and a highly competitive basketball player. She is a Blue star top 100 player in national rankings and given a verbal commitment to continue her basketball career at Arizona State University. After experiencing a ACL tear during her 10th grade basketball season. We researched the entire country for the best doctor/hospital. We reached out to Doctor Cole and he connected with jayde during our first visit. Doctor Cole was amazing in all phases of our experience!
in Annawan, IL |
I've met with Dr. Cole about 4 times and every time I meet with him he is very caring and listens to what I have to say. He repaired my ACL and did a phenomenal job. He takes time with me, and makes sure I fully understand what is going on. Answers all my questions I have. Makes me feel comfortable and like I'm in great hands. Overall a great doctor. He actually makes me want to become a doctor just like him someday.
in Chicago |
A perfect experience. He has an incredibly busy practice but I always felt like I was his only patient. The surgery on my labrum got me back to tennis in nearly 3 months and I have absolutely no pain! He was thorough, available and tried to help me initially avoid surgery with an injection and PT....ultimately, I felt that surgery was my only option and he agreed! I really could not be more pleased with the process and would allow him to operate on any of my family and friends!
in Chicago, IL |
Dr Cole's and his team are no less than amazing. The entire process from my initial non operative management to my surgery was efficient, educational and transparent. He even allowed me to watch the surgery while it was being performed on my shoulder. I am back to swimming thanks to him, his PAs who were always available nearly 24/7 and his staff. If you want to see what he stands for check out his TED talk "Spare the Scalple" as it represents his ethics, compassion and competence!
in Downers Grove, IL |
I had a massive rotator cuff tear as a result of a fall. Dr. Cole was able to repair the damage in a 1 hour surgery. After four months of PT my shoulder is in excellent shape. I highly recommend Dr. Cole for his surgical skills as well as for the overall professionalism of Midwest Orthopedics.
in Clarendon Hills, IL |
Dr. Cole changed my life by repairing my knee, allowing me the mobility to do the things I have not done in a year due to an injury. A different surgeon told me to limit my activities due to my poor anatomy, and Dr. Cole was able to fix it and give my knee the stability I need to ski, hike and enjoy life. Dr. Cole's physician assistants were extremely helpful and I could easily contact them with questions or concerns. The entire team was phenomenal and I would highly recommend them.
in Chicago, IL |
I thought Dr Cole was wonderful. He was very responsive, my appointments were always on time, and I obtained a great result from the surgery. He is a first rate ortho.
in Oak Park, IL |
I was under another surgeons care for several months with an injury from a skiing accident before being recommended to Brian Cole by a neighbor for a second opinion. After examining me he asked me about some of the activities I do and how not having an ACL was restricting me. Also letting me know I could undoubtedly live a long life without one. I made my decision to go ahead with the surgery. I'm so pleased with the outcome and highly recommend! Go the the BEST first!
in Champaign, IL |
I've had surgeries performed by Dr. Cole and his team on both of my knees and I cannot say enough about how incredible the ENTIRE team is. After researching Dr. Cole, it's apparent he's known worldwide for his expertise. I had been told by my first surgeon I was going to be limited to swimming and biking for the rest of my life and, at age 29, I wasn't willing to accept that. Dr. Cole wasn't willing to accept that either. He got me back to being able to do my pre-injury activities. AMAZING!
in Buchanan, MI |
Dr. Cole and his Kyle Pilz were amazing in my recovery! He removed part of my IT Band after years of knee pain from my IT Band, and I recovered 100% and ran my first 1/2 marathon a year later with no knee pain. I drove about 2 hours to see him multiple times in his office and he always spent a lot of time listening to me and keeping in contact with me when I was home. I am grateful for the support from him and his staff!
Oak Park, IL |
Enjoyed it
in DuPage, Illinois |
Dr. Cole is apparently an expert surgeon. That may be -- though he never fixed me -- but he is a terrible doctor. He is plenty friendly, though you'll see him for 10 minutes on the first visit and 2 every time after. The typical wait in his office is 2 hours, though be ready for up to 4. You'll typically see the P.A.'s, are are experienced, good at explaining, and exceptionally kind, but they aren't the expert doctor. All of the secretaries are great, though the administrators are awful.
Woodridge, IL |
My daughter had a labrum injury to her shoulder. Dr Cole and his team attended to her promptly and the repair was successful.
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Cole came highly recommended from an employee at Rush. His office worked like a well-oiled machine! Even though I had to wait a few months to initially get into him, it was so worth the wait. The customer service and immediate responses from he and his team once I got in the practice was second to none. He didn't just treat my knee condition. He forced me to address my lifestyle as a method of buying into my own self-car. He treated my whole person...not just my knee.
in Chicago, IL |
just want cash money and refused to treat the patient in need. and cancelled the appointment after knowing that he has to wait for money
Lansing, MI |
Before I saw this surgeon, I had underwent 5 knee scopes with 5 meniscus repairs. I have not been able to run in years. I lived with chronic knee pain on a daily basis. I live about 4 hours away from this doctor but I was willing to go see what he had to say and to see if he felt my knee was fixable. I was a candidate for a meniscus transplant and I have to say it was one of the best descions I have ever made in my life. His office communicates well with you via phone and email. I always had an
in Orland Park, IL |
I had Dr Cole operate on both my rotator cuff issues...one had 2 complete detachments and and the other a significant tear. His expertise, demeanor, bedside manor were fantastic. very satisfied with the results. i would use him again if i needed him for any orthopedic issues but i am pretty certain he specializes on the knee and shoulder. sometimes a wait in the waiting roombut i expect that and when u see the doctor and his PA's you get such great care. highly recommend !
in Midland, MI |
After already having 4 knee surgeries I had given up hope that I would ever stand or walk, let alone run without pain again. Dr. Cole was confident that not only could I perform daily tasks but also live an active life. Going to Dr. Cole was such an easy decision with the promises he was able to keep as he performed an Osteochondral Allograft Transplant (cartilage transplant). I?m EXTREMELY happy to say that I can now do things that I haven?t been able to do in ten years! Thank you Dr. Cole!
in Chicago, IL |
After many frustrating years, I was recommended to Dr. Cole by a friend. I am an active 34 year old and was unable to do a lot of the things I enjoy because of an old injury causing so much pain and weakness in my knee. After a big surgery last year, I can finally say that I feel great again. I'm able to do things that I couldn't do a year ago and I have Dr. Cole to thank for that! He and his PA's (thanks, Kevin!) are top notch and you can't find any better than them here.
in Grand Ridge, IL |
Dr. Cole and his staff are incredibly professional, while still being very personal. The office is efficient, clean, welcoming, and does a great job at portraying the standard of what orthopedics should be. I would strongly recommend Dr. Cole to anyone with a joint problem!
Have you seen Dr. Brian Cole, MD?
Are you Dr. Cole?

Compare Dr. Cole

Dr. Cole says...

Dr. Cole is a Professor in the Department of Orthopedics with a conjoint appointment in the Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois. In 2015, he was appointed as an Associate-Chairman of the Department of Orthopedics at Rush. In 2011, he was appointed as Chairman of Surgery at Rush Oak Park Hospital. He is the Section Head of the Cartilage Research and Restoration Center at Rush specializing in the treatment of arthritis in young active patients with a focus on regenerative medicine and biologic alternatives to surgery. He also serves as the head of the Orthopedic Master's Training Program and trains residents and fellows in sports medicine and research. He lectures nationally and internationally and holds several leadership positions in prominent sports medicine societies. Through his basic science and clinical research, he has developed several innovative techniques for the treatment of shoulder, elbow and knee conditions. He has published more than 1,000 articles and 10 widely read textbooks in orthopedics and regenerative medicine.

Dr. Cole is frequently chosen as one of the "Best Doctors in America" since 2004 and as a "Top Doctor" in the Chicago metro area since 2003. In 2006, he was featured on the cover of Chicago Magazine as "Chicago's Top Doctor" and was selected as NBA Team Physician of the Year in 2009. Orthopedics This Week has named Dr. Cole as one of the top 20 sports medicine, knee and shoulder specialists repeatedly over the last 5 years as selected by his peers. He is the head team physician for the Chicago Bulls NBA team, co-team physician for the Chicago White Sox MLB team and DePaul University in Chicago.

Dr. Cole's Care Philosophy

Dr. Cole's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Sports Medicine Orthopedic Joint Reconstruction
  •  Board certified in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Cole has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

Why It Matters: Dr. Cole's Board Certifications

• Elbow Sprain
  • Exertional Compartment Syndrome
  • Extremity Injuries
  • Glenoid Labrum Tear
  • Golfer's Elbow (Medial Epicondylitis)
  • Hip Sprain
  • Knee Pain
  • Knee Sprain
  • Knee Tendinitis
  • Lateral Collateral Ligament (LCL) Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Ligament Sprain
  • Systemic Chondromalacia
  • Tendon Disorders
  • Tendon Injuries
  • Tendonitis
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
  • Throwing Injuries

Hospital for Special Surgery

Completed in 1996

Hospital for Special Surgery

Completed in 1992

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC)

Completed in 1997

University of Illinois At Urbana-Champaign

Graduated in 1985

• Other Education
    University of Chicago

Completed in 1989

Dr. Cole does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Cole and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Sports Medicine Orthopedic Joint Reconstruction

• Cartilage Transplant
  • Debridement
  • Distal Clavicle Excision Surgery
  • Elbow Reconstruction
  • Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation (ORIF)
  • Fracture and-or Dislocation Treatment