Dr. Brian Chalkin, DO

Orthopedic Hand SurgeryMaleAge 50

The Orthopaedic Center

1809 E 13th St Tulsa, OK 74104

Dr. Brian Chalkin, DO is a Orthopedic Hand Surgery Specialist in Tulsa, OK. Dr. Chalkin has more experience with Hand & Wrist Surgery, Shoulder & Upper Arm Surgery, and Elbow Surgery than other specialists in his area. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Ascension St. John Medical Center and Bristow Medical Center. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Chalkin to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Orthopedic Hand Surgery Specialists in your area

Hospital Highlight

Dr. Chalkin is affiliated with Bristow Medical Center Bristow, a highly rated hospital.

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals
  • Hospital Satisfaction

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Oklahoma

Frequently Treated by Dr. Chalkin

Based on treatment records, we have identified the following as areas of care that Dr. Chalkin treats more often than their peers. If you are unsure whether Dr. Chalkin treats other conditions, please contact the office at (918) 582-6800.

Hand & Wrist Surgery

Hand and wrist conditions including arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome, Dupuytren's contracture, and fractures or sprains, with treatment options such as surgery or physical therapy.Compare with other Hand & Wrist Surgery specialists.

Dr. Chalkin is experienced in the area of Hand & Wrist Surgery. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 24 conditions and procedures

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist
Hand and Wrist Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
Carpal Tunnel Release

Shoulder & Upper Arm Surgery

Shoulder and upper arm conditions include arthritis, bursitis, rotator cuff injuries, and dislocations, with treatment options such as surgery or physical therapy.Compare with other Shoulder & Upper Arm Surgery specialists.

Dr. Chalkin is experienced in the area of Shoulder & Upper Arm Surgery. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 22 conditions and procedures

Rotator Cuff Tear
Broken Arm
Shoulder Fracture and Dislocation Treatment
Shoulder Impingement Syndrome

Elbow Surgery

Elbow surgeons perform proceduras including arthroscopy, replacement, resurfacing, or tendon repair to treat conditions affecting the elbow, such as arthritis, dislocations, and hyperextension.Compare with other Elbow Surgery specialists.

Dr. Chalkin is experienced in the area of Elbow Surgery. See the graph below to learn more about his experience.

Based on claims data for 9 conditions and procedures

Similar Providers
Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
Elbow Sprain

• Elbow Replacement
  • Elbow Replacement Revision
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Elbow Tenotomy
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Excision of Femur or Knee
  • Excision of Humerus
  • Excision of Metacarpal and Carpal
  • Excision of Radius or Ulna
  • Foot and Ankle Fracture Treatment, Closed
  • Foot Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Hand or Wrist Tendon Transfer
  • Hand Tendon Repair
  • Hip Arthroscopy
  • Humerus Fracture
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Limb Cramp
  • Musculoskeletal Function Test
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures
  • Osteochondritis Dissecans
  • Osteosarcoma
  • Partial Shoulder Replacement
  • Peripheral Autonomic Neuropathy
  • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
  • Pyogenic Arthritis
  • Trigger Finger Release
  • Wrist Fracture
  • Wrist Fusion
  • Wrist Replacement

Dr. Chalkin accepts most major insurance plans.

Dr. Chalkin has indicated that he accepts most major insurance carriers

(918) 582-6800Find providers who accept this insurance

Dr. Chalkin's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Chalkin

3.9

6.140350877192983%

Dr. Chalkin
I've thought very hard about this review since it's based on several visits. Between the bad mannerisms and rudeness of Dr. Chalkin and the lack of attentiveness in the staff, you'll likely be at least annoyed when you leave here. The longest I've sat waiting to see him was 3 hours, the shortest was an hour beyond my appt time. They have actually cancelled my appointment while I was in a room waiting to see him as well as literally forgotten I was there. His appointments are short and rushed and within a scant few minutes he's dictating and making it quite clear that your appointment has ended. There's NEVER a reason to be rude to, or rushing, your patients.
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Disappointment at its core – Jun 08, 2021
He is a very skilled surgeon. I had both hands, carpal tunnel surgeries, at the same time. Because he can do micro surgery, that was possible. Several other providers I consulted would only do the open surgeries which results in a long recovery time, and 2 separate surgeries. I had the surgeries on Thursday and was back to work on Monday.
LL – Mar 05, 2021
Dr. Chalkin performed surgery on my left Wrist/Hand Sept. 24th 2020. I was diagnosed with Left Wrist Scapholunate(Advanced Collapse of the Wrist) The surgery was extremely complex in nature and I was in a great deal of pain prior to surgery!! I would highly recommend Dr. Chalkin, to anyone who is in need of Wrist/Hand surgery!! My Primary Care Physician referred me to Dr. Chalkin, he said his skill set as a Hand/Wrist surgeon is extremely specialized!! It’s now been approximately three months, since my surgery. I have no pain and my range of motion in my wrist/hand is much better than I thought possible!! It’s obvious Dr. Chalkin is a very passionate surgeon, with that being said he’s a busy man!! I would like to say thank you to Dr. Chalkin, your a great surgeon but your also a nice person!! I still remember after surgery, my ride was there to pick me up!! You took time to walk out to my ride, making sure I was clear on post surgical instructions!! Thanks
Jeff Hubler – Dec 27, 2020
Dr. Chalkin performed a total shoulder placement on me. First of all the front desk staff are amazing. They are always so patient in kind. They spend as much as is needed with each patient. I never felt rushed. Dr. Chalkin is amazing. He took all the time with me that I needed. He thoroughly explained everything. My surgery and recovery has been magnificent. He did a perfect job as far as I’m concerned. My surgical area is barely going to leave a scar if any scar at all. I attribute my fantastic recovery to a perfect done surgery. His bedside manner is great. He’s so friendly and he makes you feel at ease. I greatly recommend him to anyone needing shoulder surgery. I didn’t have a long wait both while in the waiting room nor back in the exam room. Thank you Dr. Chalkin and staff for taking such good care of me.
Debra Lee – Jul 28, 2020
For the record, Dr. Chalkin is absolutely amazing and gifted surgeon who saved my 13-year-old daughters finger. She suffered a partial amputation on her right ring finger. We first visited the doctor recommended by the ER and he told us he didn’t need to physically look at it. He had viewed the x-rays and had her scheduled for an amputation up to, and hopefully not below, the first knuckle for the following day. I asked a friend, who is a doctor, for a recommendation for an Orthopaedic doctor in order to seek a second opinion. She highly recommended Dr. Chalkin. He was absolutely amazing. To make a long story short, Dr. Chalkin saved what was left of my daughter’s finger. On day 39 post partial amputation, he has released her from his care. Her finger looks amazing, and when she regrows a fingernail it will be completely unnoticeable. She has returned to riding and showing horses and playing competitive softball without any complications and with the majority of her finger.
Lori Criner – May 28, 2020
He is a very good doctor great bedside manners very attentive & caring. He has done multiple surgeries on me due to injury and results have been excellent.
Teresa – May 07, 2020
Dr. Chalkin is an amazing doctor. He takes time to listen and then will explore your best options for surgery, if needed. . He preformed hand surgery for my son and with skin grafts and my child has had a one-hundred percent recovery without any issues. Dr. Chalkin recommended physical therapy after the surgery. But following our first evaluation with PT, they said our son did not need to proceed with any further PT treatment. His recovery has been remarkable.
Gloria Arneecher – Apr 21, 2020
Very friendly and informative. My 5 year old loved him, felt very comfortable and was never scared. Office staff was very nice. Be warned...he is very busy and has long waits and is often running behind in clinic. That being said, HE IS WORTH THE WAIT.
Jan 21, 2020
The best.
Mrs. Greenwood – Jan 16, 2020
Dr. Chalkin's Reply –
Thank you!
The staff was helpful and friendly. Dr. Chalkin was awesome!
Sep 21, 2019
Dr. Chalkin is excellent. We will recommend him to anyone who wants exceptional results.
Mar 07, 2019
Nightmare! Finally met him after a year of sheer pain - saw his PA only. A hip doctor took over. He does hands/shoulders - not hips/knees. Arrogant. Tired of hurting.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Former Patient in Tulsa, OK – Dec 26, 2018
In March of 2005 Dr. Chalkin replaced all four knuckles in my right hand in an outpatient surgery using NeuFlex joint implants. Rheumatoid arthritis had weakened and distorted my fingers so much that they overlapped and were virtually useless for using power tools or anything requiring strength and dexterity. He was attentive and professional in every way and after 13 years I am more grateful than ever for his skill and care.
RK Harmon in Tulsa, OK – Nov 15, 2018
A year ago today I broke my arm on a treadmill accident. Dr Chalkin saw me the afternoon of my fall at the recommendation of Dr Smith, the emergency room doctor at St John’s Hospital in Owasso. He was compassionate and caring and truly wanted to help me. He is an excellent surgeon and after a time of healing, I have resumed exercising and have no complaints! I fell right after my 61st birthday... thank you so very much Dr Chalkin.
Debbie Lincks in Owasso, Oklahoma – Mar 22, 2018
Dr. Chalkin was my Dr. for both my arms having Carpal Tunnel and Cubital Tunnel Surgery. I was totally satisfied with Dr. Chalkin. I followed his directions after each procedure and now after 5 years I have had absolutely no issues from these procedures. I would highly recommend him.
Carl Lowers in Owasso, Oklahoma – Jan 03, 2018
Dr. Chalkin and his staff came to my aid in an emergency situation. They, I feel have worked a miracle in my life. Kind, considerate and informative were they. I feel I have received a blessing being directed to them for the pain in my hand.
Lola – Dec 22, 2017
Dr. Chalkin is an outstanding doctor. He did surgery on my son's hand and is treating me for my shoulder and hand. He has an awesome bedside manner. He is very thorough and explains everything in detail. I wouldn't let any hand surgeon touch me. Dr. Chalkin is my guy! .....Jennifer S.H.
Jennifer S.-H. in CLEVELAND – Oct 12, 2017
Dr. Chalkin utilizes concurrent documentation while the patient is in the room, thus maintaining ethical standards of patient records. My only reservation was how rushed everyone appeared (it was the end of the day), and how quickly information was given to me the patient. I would have felt a little more comfortable had I felt I had the time to ask all the questions I needed to. Overall, Dr. Chalkin was very pleasant and professional, I would recommend him to anyone.
LM in Tulsa, OK – Aug 29, 2017
Doctor Chalkin is good. He knows his stuff & does good work. However, he and the other doctors he works with try to cram way too many patients as into his day. He doesn't even try to listen to any of your concerns. This is obviously that they are way more concerned about money than the wellbeing of their patients. I'm not going to get into how ridiculous the staff is. In short, if you don't mind extremely long wait times and being treated like cattle, then go see Dr. Brian Chalkin.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
Rick in Tulsa, OK – Jul 28, 2017
Dr. Chalkin is the only doctor I would recommend for hand or shoulder surgery to my friends and family. He is so considerate to his patients and well known for his expertise. Great results!!
Dee in Tulsa, OK – Jul 18, 2017

How was your experience with Dr. Chalkin?

As an orthopaedic surgeon specializing in hand and upper extremity surgery I'm focused on getting my patients back to a mobile pain free lifestyle. While...Read more

Dr. Chalkin is one of the renowned hand/upper extremity surgeons in Oklahoma.  He specializes in Complex Shoulder and Elbow Arthroplasty, Traumatic...Read more

• Orthopedic Hand Surgery