Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. Brian Braaksma, MD
Dr. Brian Braaksma is a fellowship-trained orthopedic spine surgeon. Fellowship training is the highest level of medical education in the U.S. Dr. Braaksma earned his undergraduate degree in biological sciences at Texas Christian University in 2002 with Summa Cum Laude honors. He obtained his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in 2006. He completed a residency in Orthopedic Surgery at Rush University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery where he received clinical distinction honors in his clinical rotations. He completed a fellowship in spine surgery at New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases in New York. He is Board-eligible by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Dr. Braaksma grew up on a farm in the rural Midwest, where he feels learning the values of hard work and dedication were instrumental to his ability to pursue and complete a medical education. He realized early on while in high school, a desire to become an orthopedic surgeon after observing surgeries with local physicians. During his medical education and orthopedic residency, Dr. Braaksma was most intrigued by the specialty of spine and decided to specialize in that niche. As a spine surgeon, he emphasizes non-surgical treatment options in advance of surgery, holding that as the last resort for patients. If surgery is necessary, Dr. Braaksma is trained in the latest minimally invasive spine surgery techniques that reduce the length of the incision, the time in the hospital and the time needed for recovery. Many patients can have their surgery in the morning and be home later the same day to recover in their own home. In addition to his extensive medical commitments, Dr. Braaksma is an avid golfer, and enjoys watching sports, playing drums and guitar, weightlifting, traveling and skiing. He enjoys spending his free time with his wife and his young son. After spending the last 10 years of his medical training in Chicago and New York, Dr. Braaksma enjoys the return to the Midwest and Rockford, Illinois, and the sense of community that he grew up in.

5875 E Riverside Blvd

• HFN
  • The Alliance

Learn about Dr. Braaksma

Dr. Braaksma's Experience

Dr. Braaksma's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Lumbar Disc Degeneration
  • Lumbar Herniated Disc
  • Lumbar Radiculopathy
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Neck Strain (incl. Whiplash Injury)
  • Pathological Spine Fracture

• Spinal Nerve Block
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spine Fracture Treatment
  • Transforaminal Epidural Block

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

• Texas Christian University
  • Rush University
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2011
  • New York University-Hospital For Joint Diseases Spine Surgery Fellowship
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2012

Dr. Braaksma has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Braaksma does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Braaksma and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Braaksma's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Braaksma to family and friends
Dr. Braaksma's Performance
in Crystal lake, IL |
Doing great 8 days post op!
in rockford, il |
From the moment I met Dr.Braaksma I felt comfortable talking with him about my condition. There was no doubt in my mind he should be the Doctor to perform my necksurgery. He did and I feel great.
in Rockford IL |
Did an excellent job explaining my injury and treatment options. Was really anxious about the epidural steroid injection, but Dr Braaksma put my mind at ease and made the procedure painless. Highly recommend Dr Braaksma and the team at OrthoIllinois
in Rockford, IL |
He did a great job explaining what was going to happen with the outcome of my surgery. Very nice doctor.
in East Dundee, IL |
Beyond thrilled. Other doctors told me they couldn't do anything for me. I'm one week post op and feel great.
in Rockford, IL |
Happy with my revision surgery
in Rockford, IL |
12 days out of surgery and no pain at all!!
in Rockford, IL |
Very happy, surgery was very successful
He was great and everything went fine.
in Belvidere, IL |
Very happy, only 15 days out of surgery
Very happy
in Rockford, IL |
Great bedside manner. He listened to my needs. I would recommend him to anyone.
in Rockford, IL |
I am so happy with my surgical outcome. Everything has been great!
in McHenry, IL |
Everything has been great, I feel like I should be a spokes person regarding my surgery. From the staff at the hospital to my first outpatient appointment I feel great and better than ever!
in Malta, IL |
The whole surgery process and post operative treatment has been great, no problems or issues. Would highly recommend
in Rockford, IL |
Surgery went very smooth, staff was amazing!
in Rockford, IL |
Surgery went great, confidence in this surgrical team!
in Loves Park, IL |
Really great job explaining to my family what was done during my surgery.
in Machesney Park, IL |
Excellent experience from start to finish. No problems at all
in Rockford, IL |
Very pleased so far with my recovery!
Good!
in Rockford, IL |
He was great! Very professional, he definitely had a concern for me and my surgery.
in Rockford, IL |
Very thoroug, timely, and friendly
in Rockford, IL |
Professional, courteous, and very thorough
He did a fantastic job!
in Rockford, IL |
Please with the facility, staff, and care received.
in Rockford, IL |
An excellent doctor. Very professional in his practice. Takes his time explaining things to you in a timely manner. I have recommended him to several people already.
Great job!
Rockford, IL |
Feeling so much better! It's the start of a new way of life painfree!! I recommend Dr. Braaskma for your surgery needs!
Rockford, IL |
Wonderful experience! Highly would recommend Dr. Braaksma. In fact I've already referred him to two friends. Thank you!
Rockford, IL |
Dr.braaksma was a great sergeon and had great bed side manner. He took excellent care of me to make sure I was taken care of and all my needs were met. I would refer anybody to him and his nurses are always on top of things to make sure you get all the care you need to heal appropriately in every way.
in Rockford, IL |
Dr. Braaksma diligently worked with me to resolve my pain first through non-surgical methods. When it was determined that surgery was our last option, he took the time to explain the procedure and appropriately set expectations for healing and recovery. He uses terminology I can understand and genuinely cares about his patients. I've already recommended him to others.
Rockford, IL |
Very nice, explains everthing, etc
in Chicago, IL |
Dr. Braaksma is an outstanding surgeon. I have had back troubles for years and when my L4-L5 starting crushing my nerve causing my right leg to collapse, I was told by another surgeon that she wouldn't touch me. My future looked gloomy. Dr. Braaksma said he could help and back in October he did surgery and my leg works great. I'm loosing weight and gaining my strength in my legs. I am so thankful to Dr. Braaksma and would highly recommend him. He also has a wonderful bedside manner. Thanks Doc.
in Rockford, IL |
Very understanding and compassionate of my concerns.
Rockford, IL |
Wonderful Doctor. Explains everything very well. Very nice and takes time with you.
in Rockford, IL |
Excellent doctor with superb skills. Very sincere and kind bedside manner. My experience was unbelievable, considering I came out of surgery with no pain and not having to take any of the pain medications. Highly recommend to anyone.
Rockford, IL |
I was in so much pain , seen Dr Braaksma he told me his opinion , he said to think about the choices he gave. I chose the surgery . I'm so glad I did i dont have the pain that i had and i can feel good about living a normal life again. I would AND did recommended to everyone i talk too. GREAT DOCTOR
in Huntley, IL |
My 15 year old daughter was told she had degenerative disk disease and the spine of an 80 year old woman. We did 6 months of physical therapy and chiropractic care. Or daughter insisted she was fine and wanted to try out for dance team again. We went to see Dr braaksma for 2nd opinion. He explained the results of the ct scans that we brought from the other Dr. She had been miss diagnosed by the 1st Dr. A relief to us all. Thank you!!!!
in Chicago, IL |
Waited an hour in the waiting room then proceeded to wait another 30-40 minutes in the room for him to spend 5 minutes with me and say just go see a pain specialist. When I have severe neck and back pain and loss of feeling in my arms and hands.
in Rockford, IL |
I went from having unbearable pain between shoulders and numbness in my right hand (caused by stenosis and degenerative disc in my neck) to feeling great. We tried all the non surgical stuff first. I had Dr. Braaksma do a spinal fusion on my C6-7. results were amazing. When I woke up from sugery pain was gone. numbness went away shortly afterwards. I'd recommend him to ANYONE I care about. Now it is 2 years later and still feel great. Thank you!!!
in Freeport, IL |
Dr Braaksma is a consummate professional with a very kind manner. He has performed surgery on 2 of our family members and we believe he is brilliant.
in Freeport, IL |
Where do I even begin. I have been shuffled around the system for 2.5 years 7 different doctors. Antidepression drugs when not depressed. Workmans comp doctor who said it was medically impossible for my symptoms. Surgeon who was leaving field but still willing to take money to tell me just that. Dr that think im just out for pills. Then I met this kind man. He is quiet and straight to the point. He seen my issue and I was in surgery 35days later. He in all counts saved my life. Thank U
Have you seen Dr. Brian Braaksma, MD?
Are you Dr. Braaksma?