Orthopedic Hand Surgery  |
Dr. Brian Bear, MD
I would like to take this opportunity to tell you more about myself and my experience in health care. Originally from Winnetka, Illinois, I attended Northwestern University graduating in 1987, cum laude, president of Mortar Board Senior Honor Society and a member of Phi Betta Kappa. I continued my studies at Northwestern University School of Medicine, receiving my medical degree in 1991 as a member of Alpha Omega Alpha honor society. Following my graduation, I pursued advanced orthopedic training at Cornell Hospital for Special Surgery, which is ranked as the top orthopedic hospital in the United States. In addition, I completed a specialized training fellowship program in elbow and hand surgery at the Mayo Clinic. My practice is focused on shoulder, elbow, hand, microvascular, traumatic, and reconstructive surgery. It is my mission to provide you compassionate care with expertise comparable to any major university center. I am humbled by my inclusion in two prestigious quality health care listings: as a Castle Connolly Regional Top DoctorR, and the Best DoctorsR list. Earning a place on either list is a result of being nominated by other physicians and a thorough review by the listing organization into my background, professional achievements, patient satisfaction and positive treatment record. Inclusion on the Best DoctorR list is a direct result of other doctors selecting me as the person they would choose to treat themselves or a family member. These are honors I take very seriously and I am committed to maintaining the high standards they represent with all my patients. I am actively involved in continuing education, have given numerous lectures, and published many orthopedic articles. As Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery at the University of Illinois College of Medicine, I have been awarded the Golden Apple teaching award and the Excellence in Teaching award. I am a reviewer for the acclaimed Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery and currently serve as a faculty member at the Orthopedic Learning Center, where I teach other surgeons the latest techniques of hand, elbow and shoulder surgery. I hold Associate and Assistant Clinical Professor of Orthopedic Surgery positions respectively at University of Illinois College of Medicine in Rockford and Rush University Medical Center in Chicago where I help train medical students, family practice residents, and orthopedic surgery residents. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to further improve your experience at OrthoIllinois. My goal is to provide the best medical care available to help you return to an active and pain-free lifestyle.

324 Roxbury Rd

• HFN
  • The Alliance

Learn about Dr. Bear

Dr. Bear's Experience

Dr. Bear's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Hand Surgery

• De Quervain's Disease
  • Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Hand Fracture
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist

• Synovial Biopsy
  • Trigger Finger Release
  • Wrist Fusion
  • Wrist Replacement

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

• Northwestern
  • Hospital for Special Surgery
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1996
  • Mayo Clinic Rochester
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1997

Dr. Bear has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Bear does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Bear and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Bear's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Bear to family and friends
Dr. Bear's Performance
normal, il |
Dr. Bear and his staff did an excellent job with my broken finger. After being casted for 8 weeks we pulled the pins and after six weeks of physical therapy of which we only worked the broken finger for four weeks. I have full use of the hand with the hand getting stronger each day. I would highly recommend Dr. Bear, his staff and Ortho Illinois for any type of hand surgery and rehabilitation.
in Sharon, wi |
Dr.Bear did a nerve release on my elbow. I woke up and had no pain. I was dressed and ready to go home a half hour after surgery. I woke up the next day still no pain and had the feeling back in my hand. Couldn't say anything more about Dr.Bear except he is terrific! Office visits were on time and professional. I would never use anyone else. Thank you Dr.Bear!
in lake villa, il |
Dr and staff were amazing! Always polite and professional and very informative. Recovery from his surgeries was fast and easy in spite of my injuries. Great experience!
in Winnebago, IL |
I had a great surgical experience. Dr. Bear is very professional and a great surgeon
Machesney Park, IL |
Aces all the way around to Dr. Bear and his all-star staff and outstanding therapy department!
in belvidere, il |
I am very happy with my treatment from Dr. Bear. I would definitely refer my friends and family to him!!
Winnebago, IL |
Dr bears pa Joe is a special guy with a great future ahead of him
in Rockford, IL |
Awesome physician terrific bedside manner! Always answered questions completely and patiently!
Rockford, IL |
Dr Bear is the most talented and personable doctor I have ever had contact with in my 65years.
Rockford, IL |
Dr. Bear and his staff are exceptional and compassionate . I'm always so impressed by the way they really listen to me and understand what I'm saying. I feel very fortunate to have such a skilled physician and staff taking care of me.
Rockford, IL |
Fantastic experience! Everything explained I'm easy to understand terms. All my questions were answered. Friendly yet professional.
Rockford, IL |
Everything went great with my surgeries. Always made sure all my questions were answered, and took great care of me
in Rockford, IL |
Excellent surgeon with warmth and caring attitude to his patients.
Rockford, IL |
Excellent patient care with excellent results as a surgeon!
in Lena, IL |
I received excellent care from Dr. Bear. I suffered from a broken wrist, which was broken opposite of normal fractures. It happened to be my dominate hand, so I wanted to seek out a good orthopedic surgeon. I am very, very pleased with my treatment and my outcome! Dr. Bear is a very skilled surgeon and treated me very professionally as well as including my husband in on all discussions. I would recommend him to anyone needing a very skilled orthopedic surgeon.
in Beloit, WI |
I went to Dr. Bear because I had trigger finger in one hand and a lump in the other. I've had other trigger fingers repaired by other Dr's. Dr. Bear recommended we do a shot first before surgery, which was a good choice. The lump was removed and sent to be tested and it came back negative of cancer which Dr. Bear was pretty sure it was a negative. A very personal Dr. which immediately made me comfortable.
elkhorn wi |
Great job attaching my thumb that was hanging by a thread. One on one time with him was limited but his staff was more than capable and effective.
in Belvidere, IL |
Dr. Bear has given me a completely new outlook on mobility and comfort and quality of life after surgery. My shoulder has healed quickly and have unlivable range of motion. I recommend his expertise to anyone experiencing shoulder discomfort. His staff and support team are caring and compassionate making the experience I had much easier. Thank you Dr. Bear!!
in La Salle Illinois |
I had a left anatomical shoulder replacement last June by Dr. Bear. I was quite anxious and his explanation about the procedure and follow up were thorough and professional, all questions being answered. Surgery stay at St Anthony's went well, and pain control was very good. After a couple months of therapy, I was able to assume all activity. I have very good range of motion and strength, with absolutely no limitations to daily activities. I am so thankful for being referred to Dr. Bears care!
in Rochelle IL |
I would recommend him. I'm very happy with my results. My only issue is with the 90 day global coverage for my surgery on 10/26/15; my last visit on 2/2/16 was not covered (expired on 1/24/16 according to the rep I spoke with on 2/22/16 when I received the invoice). Because my recovery had gone so well, Dr. Joe suggested I come back after 12 weeks post-surgery, rather than after 10 wks, and that put me past the global coverage. My own fault, I guess, because I didn't think to ask.
in Rockford, IL |
Method of treating my condition was superior
in LaSalle, IL |
Dr. Bear took time to explain my condition in terms I understood and presented all options for treatment so I could make an informed decision that was best for me. I chose a surgical option and am very happy with the outcome. I now have complete use of my hand and am pain free. I have the utmost confidence in Dr. Bear and his staff.
in Belvidere, IL |
Very thorough explanation of my diagnosis. I understood what would be done to correct my problem by viewing my x-rays and Dr. Bear pointing out the damage to my shoulder.
Have you seen Dr. Brian Bear, MD?
Are you Dr. Bear?