Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD

Orthopedic SurgeryMaleAge 40

Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD is a Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Overland Park, KS and has over 10 years of experience in the medical field. Dr. Carlson has extensive experience in Spine Disorders & Surgical Procedures. He graduated from University of Kansas Medical Center in 2012. His office accepts new patients.

Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD

The University of Kansas Health System

10730 Nall Ave Ste 101 Overland Park, KS 66211

Compare with other Orthopedic Surgery Specialists

Compare Dr. Carlson with our nearby Orthopedic Surgery Specialists at Research Medical Center.

Make an appointment at Research Medical Center today at (816) 944-1627.

These providers are on the medical staff of Research Medical Center.

Dr. Carlson's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Carlson

4.761904761904762%

My Highest Recommendation
Dr. Carlson and his team were stellar caregivers from the outset. I had every confidence in his expertise. He never once made me feel like he was on autopilot. Rather, he was attentive, responsive and thorough. Lisa Elm coordinated every aspect of the scheduling. pre and post-op, juggling his team's calendar and mine. Here we are, one year after surgery and they are still attuned to my well-being. Best of all, his approach was effective and I'm more myself physically than I've been in several years. I could not recommend a surgical team more highly.
Steve Wood – Jul 25, 2022
Back Surgery 2021
I can’t say enough good things about my back surgery in 2021. A year later I’m still doing great and feel great. I went to Dr Carlson with pain radiating down both legs. The radiating pain did not subside no matter what I did or medication I took. The surgery went very well. The pain I thought I would feel after surgery did not happen. I credit a great Doctor and wonderful nurses that were attentive to my every need. Even bringing me heated blankets when I said I was cold after surgery. I felt so good after surgery I was walking the halls that evening and went home the next day. To anyone putting off back surgery, please don’t! Yes, I heard all the horror stories about back surgery. Ignore the stories and go see Dr Carlson, he will tell you if he can help you. If you feel I’m the exception, I can tell you I have a friend who had surgery a month before I did with Dr Carlson and she is doing great.
Karen Sutter – Jul 24, 2022
I Have My Life Back
Dr. Carlson is the answer to a 50-year search for relief from nerve pain caused by injury. He fused my low spine in December, and since early March, at age 74, I've been out hiking with my sister on a regular basis. I've had no twinge of nerve pain, and am counting on continued healing over the next months. I'd previously been told by a senior neurologist that there was nothing that could be done to repair the damage to my back, so over the past few years I'd given up. It's beyond incredible to wake up now without pain, plan a day, and have the wherewithal to execute said plan. Dr. Carlson, exudes kindness and caring along with his clear knowledge and expertise, and I've never been so relaxed about putting my life in someone else's hands. I can't recommend him highly enough to do the entire experience justice.
Judy Smith – May 17, 2022
10 out of 10
Dr. Carlson is a person who remembers and stays true to The Golden Rule. Unlike other doctors I've had, no matter how crazy his schedule or how many initials behind his name, he makes you feel like he's got all the time in the world and that you are his only patient. As far as his ability as a surgeon, I concur with all the positive reviews - he's the best.
Debbie, Raymore, MO – Mar 29, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?
Dr. Carlson performed surgery on my back one year ago and what an outstanding experience with him and the KU Med team. I'm still not sure how back surgery can be a pleasant experience but it was. It was one of the best decisions of my life as I have no pain and can do what I once did.
Paul Caccavo – Dec 10, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?
Dr. Carlson fused L3/L4 in my back. I had been playing golf for 50 years in a great deal of pain. Finally my back degenerated so much, I couldn't play golf anymore. Dr. Carlson was very attentive to my story and my symptoms. He was honest with me about my options. He ordered several diagnostic examinations of my back. Finally we both determined we would proceed with spine surgery with the hope I could play golf again without back pain. The surgery was a success. I now play golf again pain free, and at a level that was better than pre-surgery. The facilities at the University of Kansas Health System Indian Creek were outstanding. Every member of the healthcare team was compassionate and competent. I will always be grateful to Dr. Carlson and his healthcare team for the way they treated me and for the fantastic results I received.
Dale L Winetroub – Nov 20, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?
Back surgery that significantly improved my quality of life. Immediate relief and short recovery time. It went extremely well!
Aug 20, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?
Dr. Carlson is by far the best at what he does.
Christina Martin – Jul 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?
When you have a doctor who is an exceptionally talented surgeon, and combine that with a warm, compassionate, caring and sometimes funny human being, you end up with a great medical outcome. I had 5 hours of back surgery, and the next day I was doing laps around the ward. I have had several orthopedic surgeons in my almost 66 years of life, Dr. Carlson is hands down, the best. And his admin nurse Lisa Elm is a very special person too.
SaulEr – May 21, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?
Dr. Carlson is a miracle worker. After treating with a chiropractor, physical therapy, pain meds, muscle relaxers and steroid epidurals I was desperate. Dr. Carlson accurately diagnosed my problem in my first visit. Surgery was necessary to resolve my shifting spine and stenosis. The surgery method he used and what to expect was explained in detail. (Not all spinal fusions. & methods are the same. Do your homework!). He is up to date on the latest and less painful procedures. Everything one could possibly experience was explained and proactively prepared for. The day of surgery, I could tell my spine pain was resolved. Within just a few days, the “surgical pain,” was also resolved. Within 4 weeks, I felt great. I am now at 3 months and never felt better. I’m able to walk 2 to 3 miles with no issues. I would not hesitate to return to or recommend Dr. Carlson. A better surgeon does not exist. If possible I would give him more than 5 stars!
Melissa McGhee – Mar 03, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?
After meeting with 3 different surgeons it was a very easy choice for me to choose Dr. Carlson as my surgeon. He is very attentive and truly seems to have the patient’s best interest at heart. He answered all of my questions, addressed my concerns, and let me know what the potential risks were with my surgery. While surgery is never a pleasant experience, Dr. Carlson and his team made the process as patient-friendly as I have seen. He did a phenomenal job and I highly recommend him to anybody looking for a talented doc.
Michael W. – Jan 03, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?
You are a number not a person. He is sometimes caring others demeaning. Do not recommend.
  • Long wait times
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
Jr – Dec 12, 2020
I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. I...Read More
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?
My overall experience with Dr Carlson exceeded my expectations. Dr Carlson was able to pinpoint my source of pain and explained the cause in clear, easy to understand terms. He explained my options for treatment and provided his recommendation for treatment. He answered all of my questions and addressed my concerns. He shared his plan of attack, the method, and what I should expect after surgery and through my recovery period. I've had absolutely no complications from the procedure and my quality of life has been restored. Within a week, I was walking further than I could before surgery without any pain; after two weeks, I was able to walk 5 miles. I have been able to return to an active lifestyle with no restrictions. Thank you Dr Carlson!
Dan Putney – Sep 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?
Dr. Carlson is an excellent physician. He truly cares about his patients. During my first appointment with Dr. Carlson, he took a great deal of time to review with me the MRI and X-ray of my back. During my appointment, Dr. Carlson asked me a series of questions regarding my back and he answered any questions I had. Lastly, he shared with me in detail how he would repair my back. My surgery took place on 2/5/20. To say my surgery was a success, would be an understatement. I have been playing golf 3-5 times a week without pain or stiffness for several months. Dr. Carlson's nurse, Lisa is another reason my surgery was successful. I cannot emphasize enough how important having ONE person to communicate with before and after surgery. Lisa is a fantastic contact for Dr. Carlson. I emailed Lisa with MANY questions, and she was always prompt to respond. I owe a great deal of gratitude to Lisa for her assistance to help me recover from surgery.
George Huckabee – Aug 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?
I received incredible care from Dr. Carlson and his staff. His nurse, Lisa, is a gem. Dr. Carlson and his team at KUMC saved my life. I am alive and walking thanks to them. In addition to being an elite surgeon, Dr. Carlson is a genuinely pleasant and approachable person. My experience could not have been better.
Morris – Aug 15, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?
I had three years of back and syatic pain. Went through 2 surgeries for disc and stenosis with a different surgeon. Had no relief from my pain. I went to Dr Carlson and he listened intently, did all tests he felt necessary, and diagnosed my problem. He showed me my X-rays and explained everything very clearly. He performed a fusion on my back. It has been a year and I am able to resume a normal life, without pain. I would highly recommend Dr Carlson! He is very caring and an excellent surgeon. He and his assistant, Lisa, were quick to respond to any questions I had.
Jun 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?
I had a minimally invasive fusion L 3,4,5 in January 2020 . The surgery went perfectly . Dr Carlson’s analysis of my condition was spot on . His nurse Lisa is always responsive to all my questions. Spent the night in the hospital and released the next day. I would recommend anyone needing spine surgery to see Dr Carlson. Caring physician
Jeff Schonbrun – May 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?
Dr. Carlson was very professional. He was very thorough answering my questions prior to surgery, and post surgery as well. I would definitely recommend Dr. Carlson for cervical fusion surgery!
Steve S. – Dec 11, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?
Dr. Carlson is an exceptional physician and surgeon. I came to Dr. Carlson with chronic back pain that significantly impacted my quality of life for a number of years. He listened carefully and, most importantly correctly diagnosed the issues effecting me. He was very thorough and detailed when he explained his diagnosis and my treatment options. He was very patient and helpful as i considered my options. Because of my confidence in his diagnosis and surgical skills, I ultimately decided to undergo complex, multi-level fusion surgery. That surgery has proven to be very successful and I'm extremely pleased with the results. In addition to being a highly skilled surgeon, he has proven to be a compassionate care giver who's as interested in your recovery as you are. I can't imagine trusting my care to anyone else. Dr. Carlson and his nurse, Lisa Elm, succeed in providing the highest possible level of quality care. 5 stars is a good start but the rating should be higher.
Bob Jensen – Nov 27, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?
Yes I have recommended Dr Carlson often. I have complete confidence in his skills and knowledge. His approach to earnest and compassionate patient care was part of my healing after a very difficult health crisis.
Nov 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Brandon Carlson, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Carlson?