Dr. Bonnie Dattel, MD

Maternal-Fetal MedicineFemaleAge 67

Dr. Dattel

Bonnie J Dattel M.d.

316 W JUNIPERO ST Santa Barbara, CA 93105

Dr. Bonnie Dattel, MD is a Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialist in Santa Barbara, CA and has over 43 years of experience in the medical field. She graduated from University of California School of Medicine - San Diego medical school in 1979. She is affiliated with medical facilities Bon Secours Depaul Medical Center and Bon Secours Mary Immaculate Hospital. She is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Dattel to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialists in your area

• Practices at Highly Recommended Hospital
    Patients recommend this hospital to family and friends. See hospitals

No malpractice claims found for California

Check Dr. Dattel's experience treating your condition or procedure

• Blood Disorders in Pregnancy
  • Breech Position
  • C-Section
  • Coagulation Defects in Pregnancy and Postpartum
  • Coagulation Disorders (incl. Hemophilia)
  • Congenital Heart Defects
  • Phenylketonuria Screening
  • Placenta Previa
  • Preeclampsia
  • Pregnancy Ultrasound
  • Primary Hypercoagulable State (incl. Factor V Leiden Disease)
  • Sickle Cell Screening
  • Venous Thrombosis and Phlebitis in Pregnancy

Dr. Dattel accepts

Dr. Dattel accepts the following insurance:

$0 Cost Share AI-AN (Pathway X - EPO/ Individual Via Exchange)-CA EPO

Dr. Dattel's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Dattel

2.3

Dr. Dattel

Very rude with no bedside manner. When asked about if the baby looks healthy she snapped back that she has no way of knowing if he’s healthy. Only if his measurements are accurate. Obviously that’s what I was asking. Made a rude comment about my weight and being “advanced maternal age.” I think she needs to retire, she did not seem like her job brought her any joy.
  • Long wait times
Apr 23, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Bonnie Dattel, MD?
I saw Dr. Dattel today for an ultrasound. She entered the room, and without introducing herself, said “Wow. Advanced maternal age for your first baby?” I was practically fighting tears. You have no idea what a woman’s journey is, so for her first statement to be an insult is completely disgusting. She said “don’t worry my last baby was advanced maternal age, too.” I told her I hate that phrase. She continued to talk about how I’m “incredibly high risk” for genetic abnormalities, high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, etc because I’m “so young.” This was sarcasm after I told her I hate the term advanced maternal age. She said nothing about what she was seeing. She was too busy berating me for being pregnant. I had to repeatedly ask her what she was seeing because she couldn’t be bothered. You want to talk advanced age? This woman is likely in her 70s and should do the world a favor and retire if she’s so jaded and miserable. Doesn’t deserve the one star.
  • Staff wasn't friendly
Sarah Gallo – Jan 19, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Bonnie Dattel, MD?
I'm pregnant with my third child and my OB recommended I get the NT ultrasound if my insurance covered it. Since it did, I made an appointment. My OB also wanted me to bring up my blood pressure to them as it has been running high and they specialize in high risk pregnancies. As soon as Dr. Dattel walked in, the room got colder. She was not welcoming or friendly at all and just got straight to the point about how I'm over age (just turned 36) and over weight and it could lead to high BP, etc. I then brought up my high BP and gave her my last reading (143/93) and she just brushed it off saying I wasn't even near the zone. Then she proceeds to age and fat shame me the whole appointment. Said I needed to go on the Forks Over Knives diet as that will make me a twig. On top of all that, she pushed so hard on my stomach that it was the first ultrasound that has ever hurt me. No patient should leave an appt feeling ashamed and uncared for, especially a pregnant woman.
Dec 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Bonnie Dattel, MD?
I had my NT ultrasound with Dr. Dattel, I was so excited and looked forward to this appointment so much! Just to have the piece of mind that everything was fine. Dr. Dattel had the most disgusting bedside manner I have EVER encountered with any Doctor in my life. I was so excited that she mentioned she could tell me the babies gender that as soon as she was done I asked what is the gender, and she said in a very nasty way “ I was going to give you the test results first” making me feel like I didn’t care if my baby was healthy or not, like I just wanted to know the babies gender and that’s it. She was not kind or took any time to explain any results, she said all good and walked away. I was just an excited first time mother! It is honestly very sad that someone that clearly hates their profession still helps people and makes them feel uncomfortable and unwelcomed. I am so so so glad I am never going in that office again! What an unpleasant experience.
Juliana Cossio – Sep 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Bonnie Dattel, MD?
I’ve been seeing Dr. Dattel throughout my pregnancy and In my opinion she is a brilliant and thorough Doctor. She’s there for you and your babies health, not to make you feel warm and fuzzy. She’s straight forward about risks and concerns and is incredibly attentive medically. I had some blood sugar issues and was sent to the hospital by an “on call” doctor. Within 10min of me arriving at the hospital Dr. Dattel (not even my primary dr.) had seen my name and had called the hospital to see why I was there and was ordering test. As a patient, all I care about is having a doctor who is attentive and willing to go the extra mile to keep me and my babies safe. I don’t need a hand holder, I need a Doctor, and she is an incredible doctor. Not to mention incredibly punctual. I never have to wait over my apt time to see her. I highly recommend Dr. Dattel.
Alison C. – Aug 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Bonnie Dattel, MD?
I've seen Dr. Dattel twice now and both times she was very kind and informative. She is quick and to the point, but never failed to ask if I had any concerns. In both appointments she offered information that was extremely helpful and eased my mind about common conditions that our baby had.
Jackie Clarke – Aug 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Bonnie Dattel, MD?
Beyond bad. I am 34 years old. She asked me first thing "why did you wait so long to have kids?" WOW! So unbelievable. The rest of the time proceded to tell me how dangerous it is that I am so old and geriatric. It was beyond rude. She said NOTHING about our baby in the ultrasound. I cried in the car after I felt so violated and weirded out and it all happened so fast that I couldn't really speak up because I was SO SHOCKED. Stay away. A great alternative to this clinic in SB is Jadali Daryoush MD in Ventura he was fantastic and respectful and great rates. This place with Bonnie and Soffici is outrageously priced with unprofessional and rude staff.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
Emily – Jan 08, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Bonnie Dattel, MD?
Had her for my 20wk anatomy scan. She was very cold, went through her checklist quickly not saying anything. When she found an issue she gave a short explanation and continued on. As stated by others she also jabbed my belly trying to get the baby to move. Said my baby “kind of cooperated” as she walked out the door. Doesn’t seem like she enjoys her job and it surely shows. Unfortunately had to go to the hospital to be seen for some concerns that I reported to my ONGYN. She was not pleasant to be around yet again made me feel absolutely stupid for going in even though it was recommended by my OBGYN that I did. The nurses were all super sweet and made me feel welcome and cared for so thankfully that made the experience a bit better. Really hoping to not be seen by her again.
DWLR – Aug 28, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Bonnie Dattel, MD?
Not surprised with all the bad reviews!. She’s the most uncomfortable person to be seen by, I was under her care with my twin girls who I lost she had no sympathy, she kept giving me high hopes to getting a cerclage in sake of saving my daughters life, that wasn’t the case I never got the cerclage then she was totally rude and said well maybe one can be saved what mother wants to hear that!. She saw me at the hospital in her high heels didn’t bother to keep me updated. She should retire!!!.
Dec 05, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Bonnie Dattel, MD?
She did not talk to me during my entire anatomy scan and just ran through her “checklist” as fast as possible. She aggressively jabbed my side, complaining that the baby needs to move. Didn’t explaine ANYTHING and gave short, blunt answers to our questions, if she even answered them at all. This lady needs to retire already.
Oct 03, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Bonnie Dattel, MD?
Bedside manner is HORRIBLE. At 20 week anatomy scan (which from my understanding is the most important) didn’t tell me anything about my baby so I felt extremely worried, began asking questions to make sure everything was okay & she quickly shut them down and kept things short & blunt. WILL NOT see her for the remainder of my pregnancy. Doesn’t seem interested in patient care or her job whatsoever.
May 23, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Bonnie Dattel, MD?
She recited me all the standard "elevated risk" factors that come with advanced maternal age you can literally read on any website without any regard to my particular case. She proceeded to do her measurements on the baby without explaining anything. At some point, she started poking really hard on my tummy and telling the baby to "move over". I had to ask her to please stop poking the baby. Zero useful information. Absolutely horrid experience!
Jan 03, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Bonnie Dattel, MD?
This woman was an absolute nightmare. I have never felt more uncomfortable with ANY doctor or medical professional. Will be calling to leave a formal complaint.
Bakersfield, CA – Jun 29, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Bonnie Dattel, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Dattel?
Provider explaining information to patient