Dr. Barry Rayburn, MD

Dr. Barry Rayburn, MD

Cardiology  |
I was originally born and raised in a small town in Illinois and knew from a very early age that I wanted to be a physician. I started working with a local ambulance company at 15, in the local hospital at 16 and by the time I entered medical school, I had been taking care of patients for over five years. I've continued to enjoy that aspect of medicine non-stop and love the opportunity to get to know people and to help them with their medical needs. I'm married and have four children. I enjoy cooking and photography. My wife and I attend Hunter Street Baptist Church and lead a small group there.

3980 Colonnade Pkwy

Birmingham, AL 35243

• AvMed

Learn about Dr. Rayburn

See how frequently Dr. Rayburn performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Chest Pain
Pulmonary Hypertension
Chronic Pulmonary Heart Diseases (incl. Pulmonary Hypertension)

Dr. Rayburn's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Rayburn "I believe patients and physicians need to be partners. My job is to educate you on your condition and your choices, and to help you become an active participant in your care. The better you understand what's happening to your body, the better prepared you are to take care of yourself. Ultimately, my goal is to allow you to continue to live and be active as long as possible either by avoiding heart problems, or by managing problems that occur."

• Cardiology

• Cardiomegaly
  • Cardiomyopathy
  • Carotid Artery Disease
  • Chest Pain
  • Chronic Pulmonary Heart Diseases (incl. Pulmonary Hypertension)
  • Coarctation of the Aorta
  • Congenital Heart Defects
  • Congenital Heart Disease
  • Congestive Heart Failure
  • Coronary Artery Disease (CAD)
  • Endocarditis
  • Heart Attack (Acute Myocardial Infarction)
  • Heart Disease
  • Septal Defect
  • Syncope
  • Thrombosis
  • Tricuspid Valve Disease

• Cardiac Catheterization (incl. Coronary Angiography)
  • Cardiac Imaging
  • Cardiac Myocardial Perfusion Imaging
  • Cardiovascular Stress Test
  • Cardioversion, Elective
  • Echocardiography
  • Right Heart Catheterization (Swan-Ganz)
  • Thrombolysis
  • Tilt Testing or Cardiac Event Monitors
  • Vascular Surgical Procedure

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Alabama.

• Macmurray College
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1981
  • Johns Hopkins University School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1986
    Internship Hospital | Completed 1987
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1989
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1993

• Research articles published in several journals,
  • Tinsley R. Harrison Teaching Award, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, 1995
  • Fellow, American College of Cardiology, 1994

Dr. Rayburn's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Rayburn to family and friends
Dr. Rayburn's Performance
Fort Payne, AL |
Dr Rayburn is one of the most intelligent and compassionate doctors I have ever seen. He truly listens to his patients, then collaborates with them as a team for me to have a better quality of life. He is also one of the best advocates for his patients. Any one that is under his care is in the best of hands. He is not only the best cardiologist, but also a great person and Christian, I would recommend anyone to him for the cardiovascular care whether for management or preventative.
in Trussville, Al |
Dr. Rayburn has a great bedside manner. He takes a lot of time to make sure you understand everything. He is very patient and attentive to your needs. He is very thorough physician who will review all your test results with you. He is a brilliant physician.
in Birmingham, AL |
I highly recommend him. He is very knowledgeable and can answer any question. He also has a positive, cheerful bedside manner. He does his job well!
Dr. Rayburn is very personable, caring, he listens and explains and I've had great experiences with him as a doctor. The biggest problem I have encountered is being able to get in touch with the office when I need help. The staff who answer the phone and sometimes nurses are rude. The staff at the desk are very nice. It's hard to call and talk to someone who actually knows me and my case.
in Birmingham, AL |
I absolutely would recommend him to anyone. He is smart, well educated but still is compassionate and reassuring. As a retired nurse, I always look for high standards of care and he is a great example of this. Never having had an experience with Heart issues, I was somewhat frightened and intimidated when I arrived at CVA but was put to ease quickly by the efficiency and friendliness of the staff.Keep up the good work!
in Lincoln, AL |
Dr. Rayburn is an excellent Doctor. I would trust him with any issue I had. I would highly recommend his services.
in Trussville, Al |
Dr Rayburn was very nice and my visit went very well. His staff called about my results in a very timely manner.
in Birmingham, AL |
Dr. Rayburn is a true physician - one who truly cares about his patients. When I was referred to him, I was suffering from an as-yet unidentified illness. He truly listened to me and asked me to give him a week to study up on what he thought my problem might be. When I went back to him in a week, he had read the literature on my rare ailment and began testing to find the best way to treat me. With his help, I am MUCH better and I am truly grateful for him.
in Gadsden, AL |
Dr. Rayburn has treated me about 20 years for chronic CHF, that ultimately resulted in transplant 5 years ago. I would not be alive if it were not for his intellect and clinical skills. He saved my life many times over. Other cardiologist told me I would die several times but he has never given up on me. Five years post transplant, I am still kicking high. Dr. Rayburn is the best in my book, and always will be.
Winfield, Al. |
I would highly recommend Dr. Rayburn because of the experience I have had and continue to have with him. He is very professional and knowledgeable, also very personable and warm in his manor. I enjoy my visits with him and this has never been the case with me, I have severe white robe syndrome! I am very confident that, with him I am receiving the best care and treatment available for my problem. I would highly recommend him to anyone with cardiovascular problems!!
in Birmingham, AL |
Dr. Auburn is a caring individual always making me feel comfortable. Thanks to him.
in Childersburg, AL |
I absolutely love Dr. Rayburn. I started seeing him when I was about 4 months pregnant. I was having trouble breathing due to the extra fluid in my body. Dr. Rayburn actually listened to me and diagnosed me. He was able to make my life so much easier and stayed with me throughout my high risk pregnancy. He even came to the delivery room to check on me and he came to the hospital every day that I was in there. Thanks to Dr. Rayburn's care, I was able to give birth to a healthy baby boy.
in Birmingham, AL |
Dr Rayburn is kind, and willing to explain everything as he goes along. He genuinely has my best interest in mind. I am confident in his knowledge and ability. I'm happy for him to have my 'heart in his capable hands'.
in Albertville, AL |
Would definitely recommend Dr. Rayburn to my family and friends. As of right now, I have only met him once, but he explained my complaints as he saw them, made recommendations and explained what he thought was best for me to do. His kindness and patience with me and my husband was as excellent as any physician I have ever talked with. I don't like to give anyone a perfect score because we only had one perfect person on this earth but Dr. Rayburn is top notch in my opinion.
Have you seen Dr. Barry Rayburn, MD?
Are you Dr. Rayburn?