Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Barry Kraushaar, MD
I am proud to be a versatile Orthopedic Surgeon with over 20 years experience in practice. My training includes years of trauma and general Orthopedics, supplemented by specialty education in Total Joint Replacement. I am fellowship-trained and Board-Certified in the subspecialty of Orthopedic Sports Medicine. My social exposure drives patient care. I have had the privilege of treating patients in the urban trauma centers of the Bronx, New York. My internship in General Surgery was at Lenox Hill Hospital in NYC, and I worked with the team doctors of the NY Jets for a season. I worked at the Hospital For Joint Diseases in NYC under world leaders in Total Joint Replacement and Pediatric Orthopedics. I published a paper on shoulders with the Chairman of Orthopedics. I spent a year training in Orthopedic Sports Medicine at Georgetown's program that was in Arlington, Virginia. I worked with the Redskins football team doctors. The program director, Robert Nirschl, MD is one of the world's most well known elbow and tendon surgeons. I wrote articles and even a chapter on Sports Injuries to the Elbow and on Tendon Injuries. Such research deepened my knowledge of the best way to manage many of the injuries we commonly see in daily practice. My early practice years were spent alongside two fabulous surgeons who completed the training by good old collegial experience. I worked alongside them as they performed thousands of joint replacements. This gave me the experience that ultimately led to my helping form the Nyack Hospital Joint Replacement Center, where I still practice. I routinely perform Total Knee and Hip Replacements, including Anterior Hips. My sports Medicine involvement has been steady and strong. I have been Medical Director of the Athletic Department at Dominican College in Blauvelt, NY since 2004, and am a Clinical Professor. I mentor Athletic Trainer students and teach at the college. Our practice covers St. Joe's Regional Prep School since 1996 - their football team is well known in the region as an excellent Championship team. In 1999, I formed Advanced Orthopedics and Sports Medicine. The practice grew and merged to help form Northeast Orthopedics and Sports Medicine - I am the Vice Chairman. Our office alone sees up to 500 patients weekly and we perform 1,000 surgeries a year. We are in Nanuet, NY - centrally located and easy to reach from the NYS Thruway. Our practice philosophy is to be accommodating and accessible. We strive to keep advanced and involved. Our practice serves the community and our hospitals. We participate on committees and help direct the changes that come through our region. I have been on the Board of Directors of the NYS Society of Orthopedic Surgeons for over 10 years. I contribute to NYS Worker's Compensation policy formation and participate in Legislative activities that relate to NYS in Albany. I do my best to maintain a balanced approach to the treatment of Worker's Comp and Personal Injury cases, and perform independent examinations that help clarify patients' injuries and the reasonable treatment course. I have served as an examiner for the Office Of Professional Medical Conduct. All the professional achievement and focus described above is unimportant if patients cannot feel comfortable under my care. I strive to listen longer, think deeper, and really try to help people of all types. I aim to meet people on their level, so that when they leave the consultation, they feel as if the doctor was speaking directly with them and really caring. It is not possible to make everyone happy but I try. I keep my education current, attending conferences routinely and reading regularly. Our office is strongly staffed with people who are truly dedicated to helping you. Our manager knows about Orthopedics, Medical Billing, Legal issues and Worker's Comp well enough to handle nearly every problem that reaches her desk. We aim to operate seamlessly and smoothly. We can usually see patients quickly and help get their care managed well. We have X-rays on site and as of September 2016 we will have a state-of-the-art MRI here. In addition to our surgeons we have a Pain Management Specialist with a special suite to perform procedures here. Thank you for reading all this. If you are a patient, I hope to be helpful to you. If you are a colleague, it is my honor to be a resource for you. Barry Kraushaar, MD

Nanuet Office

• Medicare
  • MVP Health Care
  • Oxford Health Plans

Learn about Dr. Kraushaar

Always aim to focus on the best interest of the patient. Listen and explain. Attempt to customize care to each person's situation. I tend to run late as the morning or evening sessions go on. If a complex case comes by the staff cannot predict that. I listen longer, ask more details, look at imaging studies, draw pictures, and try to send patients out with a sense of satisfaction that they have been cared for. I'm a problem solver.

Dr. Kraushaar's Experience

Dr. Kraushaar's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

• Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • De Quervain's Disease
  • Elbow Bursitis
  • Elbow Sprain
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Ganglion Cyst
  • Knee Injuries
  • Knee Ligament Rupture
  • Knee Pain
  • Knee Sprain
  • Lateral and Medial Epicondylitis (Tennis and Golf Elbow)
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Medial Collateral Ligament (MCL) Sprain
  • Shoulder Tendinitis and Tenosynovitis
  • Sports Injuries
  • Sternum Fracture
  • Tendonitis
  • Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis)
  • Tibia and Fibula Fractures

• Lateral Meniscus Repair
  • Medial Meniscus Repair
  • Meniscectomy
  • Neuroplasty
  • Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection (PRP)
  • Rotator Cuff Surgery
  • Total Knee Replacement
  • Total Knee Replacement Revision
  • Trigger Finger Release
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for New York.

• Colgate University
  • Bronx Lebanon Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1995
  • Arlington Hospital Georgetown University
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1996

Dr. Kraushaar has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Kraushaar does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Kraushaar and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Kraushaar's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Kraushaar to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Kraushaar Says:

To patients with nice reviews...thank you.  I appreciate your kind words and goos will.  To patients who have a complaint...I care.  I will gladly return your call if you need to tell me something.

Dr. Kraushaar's Performance
in Nanuet, NY |
Dr. Barry Kraushaar is like a miracle worker! He has helped me tremendously countless times over the years... I am so grateful to him. :) Today, he injected my right hand with cortisone, which can be excruciatingly painful, but he made sure to first freeze the affected area, then numb it and then proceeded with the shot. To my surprise and my relief, it was not bad at all. I highly recommend Dr. Kraushaar to all of my friends and neighbors because of his expertise in his area of othopedics.
in Wesley Hills NY |
Dr. Kraushaar is an excellent surgeon, patient,compassionate and professional. I would recommend him to my family and friends. Orna Zak
in Spring Valley, NY |
. Please allow me to express my deepest and sincere "thank you" for the outstanding Knee surgery Dr. Kraushaar did when I needed a complete Knee replacement. When I decided to have my Knee surgery I found Dr. Kraushaar to have a positive attitude, an excellent work ethic and to be a dependable effective professional surgeon. The day of surgery I was able to stand and walk without pain. I contribute this to Dr,Kraushaar's skill and his continuous guidance from surgery to my rehab. LD
in Nanuet, NY |
Dr. Kraushaar is the BEST. He listens, asks questions and explains treatment options...pros and cons. He does not rush to surgery like so many others might do. This is the second time I've had experience with him - first for a meniscus repair and now for a broken arm. I would not go to anyone else! Thanks Dr. Kraushaar for making me feel better. I'd give you 6 stars if I could.
in Pomona , NY |
There are no words of extreme gratitude that I can say about Dr Krashaar that would be enough! Dr Kraushaar performed my knee surgery. I was in severe pain, walking with a cane. In a few short weeks I got my life back! No pain, back to full exercise at the gym and even better? No noticeable scar!! Best orthopedic surgeon on the planet! Highly recommend! Thank you Dr Kraushaar, you are a godsend!
in Suffern, NY |
Saw Dr K for the first time! I LOVED him! He is an amazing doctor & explained everything perfectly & i injured my ankle & put a gorgeous PINK && made sure I am not in pain while I recover. I would recommend everyone to go here, his staff is amazing very friendly & sweet, they all care about us patients! I can't wait to go back in 2 weeks because it's a joy to see him & he is so funny & 100% a likable dr! The first DR I have ever liked in my life & I trust him completely!
in Hopewell Junction |
Dr. Kraushaar is an excellent doctor. He is very thorough, pro-active and really listens to your symptons. I wish all doctors were as honest and helpful as he is. I highly recommend him.
in pearl river ny |
Wow, I was surprised to see how many good reviews he received based on the treatment I received. I never saw him before surgery, he left before seeing me after surgery and at followup 2 weeks later had an associate see me. I'm not sure today who actually did the surgery on me. He never initialed my body part when I was awake to confirm what was being operated. Huge ego, terrible bedside manner. Didn't give a hoot about me as a patient
Johnny, Sometimes anesthetic sedation causes fuzzy memories before/after surgery. I cannot take patients into OR without seeing them, reviewing & re-signing the consent and marking the surgical site. After surgery I spoke w/u on stretcher before you left OR. Routinely our PA handles first post visit b/c it is routine, but I am in the office- had you asked I'd have come in. She's very good. I see patients a month later to assess progress. Come in if u need more help.
in Hunter, NY |
I saw Dr K yesterday for a second opinion on a knee replacement that was put in incorrectly on 7/28/15 in Albany. He was very thorough explaining the degrees where my bad knee is compared to the original knee. I will be calling his office to see if they can schedule me before having to wait over 2 months with my current doctor. I've been living a handicapped life with my current TKR.
Pearl River, NY |
He replaced my right hip in 09/2016. The results have been very satisfactory.
Stony Point, NY |
I have been a patient of Dr. Kraushaar's for over a year now. He is an excellent doctor. He is an amazing surgeon as well. Dr. Kraushaar repaired my shoulder. I have made a full recovery. I would highly recommend Dr. Kraushaar.
in West Nyack, NY |
Office staff pleasant, helpful and efficient. Easy to get an appointment. Dr. Kraushaar was extremely professional. Had surgery on both knees at different times. Each procedure explained in detail from entering the hospital, day of surgery and recuperation and therapies. Concern and follow up by staff was very impressive. I would definitely recommend Dr. Kraushaar!
Delray Beach, FL |
Had a double knee replacement done by Dr. Kraushaar in August 2014...Am extremely pleased with the results... Dr K is attentive and follows up carefuly on post op. ....I am 78 years old and not easy to deal with. His office staff, particularly Judy was exttremely helpful in getting everything ready for a 30 day start to finish procedure... After surgery at Nyack hospital and 4 days at HH hospital, plus 2 weeks of rehab I was in Florida on October 5th.. I recommend Dr. K Highly
in Nanuet, NY |
Caring,supportive,and very knowledgeable, Dr. Kraushaar is an excellent physician. He has seen me through two orthopedic surgeries and numerous sprains and physical issues. I would highly recommend him.
in Ridgefield Park |
It's been almost 20 years since Dr. Kraushaar performed arthroscopic knee surgery on me, and I have had no problems since then. I referred my brother to him a few years after my surgery and he has been fine ever since his. I referred a friend's father to him for his elbow and he was back playing golf! Nothing but good experiences. You can trust this doctor. He was thorough, caring, and I will return to him if ever necessary. Thank you, Dr. Kraushaar
in Nyack, NY |
Dr. Kraushaaar recently operated on me for a torn rotator cuff and torn bicep. I am 69, certaining not an athlete. I found him to be very thorough and professional from beginning to end. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
in Jupiter, Fl |
I have been a patient of Dr Kraushaar for 9 years. I came to him after seeing many doctors for problems with running injuries. He listened to me, and understood how important running is to me. Dr Kraushaar has enabled me to continue with running while other doctors only told me to quit. He is incredibly skilled with finding right areas for injections of foot. Kind and compassionate, and willing to work me in when scheduling is tight. I wait until I return to New York just to see him.
in Sloatsburg, NY |
My experience with Dr. K was incredible. I am 10 days in recovery from shoulder surgery and feel amazing. His best side manner in the office and well as in the operating room was remarkable. I can get in for office appointments with no problems. Sometimes there is a wait when I am put in as an emergency patient but must say worth the wait for his care.
in Nanuet, NY |
Chronic knee pain. Dr. Kraushaar injected my knee with euflexxa & I didn't feel any pain. I highly recommended as a physician.
in Nanuet, NY |
I was squeezed in as an emergency and was advised there would be a wait, but it was worth every minute. He was very informative and knowlegable. He has a great bed side manner. All my questions were answered and I was put at ease. I would highly recommend him to my family and friends.
in Nanuet, NY |
Best best side manner and he is extremely thorogh. I will refer him to all my friends and family.
Have you seen Dr. Barry Kraushaar, MD?

Visit Dr. Kraushaar