Dr. Barrett Woods, MD

Neurosurgery | Male

Rothman Institute Orthopaedics 2500 English Creek Ave Ste 1300 Egg Harbor Township, NJ 08234 Get Directions
Dr. Barrett Woods, MD
Dr. Woods is a board certified Spine surgeon and serves as an Assistant Professor in both the departments of Neurosurgery and Orthopaedic Surgery at Thomas Jefferson University. Dr. Woods completed his residency program in Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh and went on to complete his Spine Surgery fellowship right here at Rothman Institute. Dr. Woods has conducted extensive research in the field of orthopaedics and continues to do so, specifically in the treatment of cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine pathologies. He has authored numerous publications, book chapters, abstracts, and poster and podium presentations and is a member of a number of professional societies, including the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.

Dr. Woods' Experience

See how Dr. Woods' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Woods

Dr. Woods accepts 15 insurance carriers

Dr. Woods is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Woods has admitting privileges.

Dr. Woods' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Woods to family and friends
Dr. Woods' Performance
in West Deptford, NJ |
Dr. Woods is an excellent surgeon. He has wonderful attitude and is extremely concerned about his patients. I would recommend him to anyone. He is caring and understanding. I was lucky enough to get him as my doctor when I went to Rothman. He is #1.
in New Jersey |
Dr. Woods is an exemplary physician. I suffered from chronic lumbar back pain that affected my walking and mobility. He shared his vast knowledge of the spine and expressed understanding and empathy with my family and I as I prepared for spine fusion surgery. Dr. Woods was invested in my well being as a person. He was committed to restoring the quality of my life. am thrilled to report that my pain is gone after surgery. Dr. Woods is an excellent surgeon and professional beyond compare.
in Beach Haven, NJ |
Dr. Woods performed surgery on my neck replacing 3 disks in June 2017. The surgery went very well. Dr. Woods is very caring and responsive. He took the time to explain what was going on as well as the related ramifications of the neck issue. He explained the surgical procedure in detail as well. I had the procedure done at AtlantiCare Hospital in Pomona NJ on a Friday (great hospital and care there). Dr. Woods came to see me on Saturday at the hospital. Had great follow-up care as well.
in Deptford, NJ |
With out a doubt I would refer family and friends and already have referred a friend with back issues. From the first time I met Dr. Woods I was pleasantly surprised at his great personality and caring concern that he expressed which really put my mind and fears at ease. I was operated on withing 2 weeks of seeing him which was the best news i could hear because I was in allot of pain. The surgery was a success and I can actually stand up straight and pain free. Thank you Dr. Woods...........
in OceanView, NJ |
I absolutely love Dr. Woods. He is a kind, caring and understanding physician. I especially love his sense of humor He is extremely knowledgable and has a way of putting your fears at ease. How may doctors give you their cell phone number and are so ok with you calling them? (I did call) This is my 6th operation with Rothman since 2014. Just that should say a lot. I would recommend Dr. Woods in a heart beat.
in Williamstown, NJ |
Dr. Woods was spot on about everything he explained. He is straight forward and very easy to talk to not to mention an awesome surgeon. Although he said my surgery was minor it is still neck surgery and I was very apprehensive. The way everything was explained I felt very confident in Dr. Woods' conclusions and ability to back up what he said. After my surgery I am as good as new and feel sorry for people who live in pain due to the fear of neck surgery. He has an impeccable bedside manor.
in sicklerville, nj |
When he reviewed my MRI, he sat down and explained that it was not a minor herniation and that it would require surgery. He reviewed the various options and what would be best in my situation (disk replacement). All questions I had, he took the time to answer them thoroughly, along with explaining what would happen during the surgery, recovery time, etc. We contacted him a couple of times prior to surgery and after surgery with questions and he was always prompt in replying. Thank you Dr. Woods.
in Little Egg Harbor, N.J. |
I was involved in a MVA where I wound up in the Trauma Center and later learned i had a fractured C6 & C7 in my neck. To learn this was one of the scariest feelings i have ever had. I met Dr. Woods only a few short hours after my arrival at the Trauma Center. I immediately knew after he walked into my room that I was going to make a full recovery. Dr. Woods has an amazing bedside manner, and is an exceptional physician. I feel blessed to have him as my surgeon. Thank you Dr. Woods! Denise K
in Little Egg Harbor, NJ |
These reviews say it all about Dr. Woods, he's outstanding! I was extremely impressed by the intangibles Dr. Woods brings to his work. I'm talking about a doctor who doesn't just shuffle patients through his office like cattle, I've seen plenty of those doctors. Dr. Woods makes an effort to treat everyone individually, truly customer/patient focused. I called him a number of times with questions and he was always prompt in replying. Very happy with my L5/S1 fusion, very little pain - Kudos!
in Clayton, NJ |
When I went to Rothman for a back surgeon I knew nothing. They gave me Dr, Woods, I am ever so gratefull. He treated me as one of his own explained everything in detail and showed so much concern for me. Not like I was something on the conveyer belt and on to the next person. I truly trusted him with my life. If anyone ever needs this type of surgeon I recommend Dr. Woods He is truly remarkable. He actually gave me his personnel numbers and email I did use them he got back to me within minute
in Haddonfield, NJ |
I interviewed four different surgeons over the past four years and not one was confident enough to confirm I would be pain free after surgery until I met Dr. Woods. Dr. Woods was the only one who told me he could successfully operate and guarantee me my life back. Surgery was July 11th, 2017 and I am 100% pain free. Dr. Woods gave me my life back and I can't explain the absolute joy I get waking up every morning! He is a life changer!! I love you man!!
in sewell, nj |
I'am 55 male who has M.S. along with problems my back , numbness and lost of strength both of arms, hands and fingers something I have dealt for over 20 years. Dr. Woods looked at my MRI found the my c5 disc in my neck was compressing my spinal cord severely and need to be removed. I had the surgery done 2 weeks ago today I can feel my finger tips for the first time in 20 years ,left side is about 70% better and right side is about 50% a lot better then could have ever thought this early.
in vineland, nj |
Doctor Woods is fantastic. He took the time to describe the MRI and explain what he could do to stop the pain that I was having. I had a laminectomy and fusion at L5-S1about 3 weeks ago. Walked without assistance after surgery, went home the next day and was back to "modified" life in under a week. No pain meds other than Tylenol for the first few days. I teach fitness and gym members are amazed at my progress. I Have to remember to take it easy. Look no further. Dr. Woods is the best there is.
in Barnegat, NJ |
Dr. Woods is not only an extremely nice person but also an EXCELLENT surgeon! He repaired a very large herniated disc in my neck and I felt not one bit of pain. Dr.Woods inserted a large spacer, a plate and 4 screws in my neck and I never had to take a single pain pill. Before surgery I was having a lot of nerve pain across my neck and down my arm that was constant and very painful in certain positions. As soon as I woke up all my pain was gone. I highly recommend Dr. Woods!
in Gloucester City, nj 08030 |
Dr Woods Took time to evaluate my "MRI & X-rays" & explained his approach to my problem on a detailed report for me to look at home.
in sicklerville, nj |
I felt Dr. Woods made the decision of my surgery a very comfortable decision. He explained and showed me the consequences of my surgery and I felt like this was the best course to take.
Wenonah, NJ |
I highly recommend Dr Woods to anyone with spine-related issues. In my experience, Dr. Woods is a great communicator and very consultative. And should surgery be a recommendation, he is sympathetic to potential apprehension and encouraged an appt with my wife, and welcomed a 2nd opinion. I did both. Dr Woods performed two-level ACDF on me. I couldn't happier with the experience. He was spot-on with his description of pain (or lack of) and recovery. I'm doing great and owe it to Dr. Woods!
in Margate, nj |
Absolutely, would recommended Dr. Woods to any of my friends or family. No one was able to tell what was going on with my body. I was in a lot of pain and did not get any relief. Dr. Woods correctly diagnosed my problem was pressure on my nerves. He performed a lumbar laminectomy and when I woke up was pain free.
500 characters is not enough space to explain how well my experience with Dr. Woods went. Incredibly caring, easy to talk to, showed he genuinely cared. I went from complete loss of sensation in my feet and extreme leg pain to now less than a month after his performing spinal fusions having no more pain. I'm incredibly thankful for him and his entire staff; they are all incredible people and medical professionals.
in Absecon, NJ |
Dr Woods and his staff left lasting impressions on me and my wife. As soon as he enters the room you can tell from his warm smile and happy personality that all would be well. He took the time to explain what I was looking at and what course of action we could take could take. He made it easy to see and understand, his explanations were so down to earth yet you knew that this man was an extremely well schooled professional and his confidence in the results of my procedures made it an easy choice
in newport nj |
I will highly recommend Dr. woods due to my awesome experience with himself and his staff. I had a discectomy an am very pleased with the outcome, I was back on my feet in a week with restrictions but point being is I was on my feet.. very satisfied with Dr.woods..
in Monroeville, nj |
Dr. Woods took his time and explained everything to me prior to surgery. Everything was exactly as he said. My surgery went well and I was walking the same day. In my opinion Dr. Woods is an excellent doctor and surgeon who cares enough to make sure that you understand all options and you are clear on to what will happen to you. I'm very happy that Rothman has a doctor of the caliber of person thank you Dr. Woods for helping me.
in Egg Harbor Twp, NJ |
Dr Woods is one of the kindest, most compassionate doctors that I have ever met. He put me at ease from the first time that I met him. He is very knowledgeable and thoroughly explained the surgery and why it was needed. He even gave me his cell phone number and told me not to hesitate to use it. I did call him with a question and he promptly returned my call. The surgery went extremely well. I have every confidence in Dr Woods and would certainly recommend him to any of my friends or family.
in Galloway,NJ |
Went to Rothman Institute to see Dr. Woods for my back that I was having trouble for years with pain in my legs. Told him my problem and he said he would take care of it with an operation and I would be walking the same day with no pain in my legs. I had my doubt but he was 100% correct. Today (2 weeks after the operation) I am like a new man. Thank you Dr. Woods.
in sewell, nj |
Dr. Woods was confident, courteous, and caring while treating me. (It is difficult to put in words) He gave me written information about the surgery, answered all my questions, discussed any post-op problems, and even gave me his cell number where I could reach him directly if I needed to reach him for anything! Amazing!! While waiting in my bed for surgery, I was confident it would be as successful as it was. I cannot recommend him highly enough...he is the best!
in merchantville, nj |
I recently had a laminectomy performed by Dr. Woods, and I can not say enough positive things about the man. From his bedside manner, to the procedure he performed, to the care afterward, dealing with Dr. Woods has been nothing less than fantastic! I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Woods to anyone seeking orthopedic spinal surgery! Dr. Woods carries himself with the utmost professionalism and decorum. My wife, who can be a worrier, instantly fell in like with Dr. Woods' demeanor and knowledge.
Dr. Woods is knowledgeable,caring, kind and compassionate. I am so glad I chose him to do the surgery I needed. He took as much time as was needed to explain what he had to do and showed me on my X-rays why the procedure needed to be done. I had confidence in him right from the first time I met him. I would recommend Dr. Woods to family and friends without hesitation.
wenonah, nj |
Dr. Woods is the most compassionate physician I have come across in a long time, he is genuine & extremely caring & an amazing surgeon.
in Seaville, NJ |
Dr. Woods was by far the best doctor and surgeon I have ever dealt with. He took his time when he was explaining my surgery to me (I was there alone so I was frightened) and he calmed me, explained everything in detail and most importantly Dr. Woods sat close to me and looked me directly into my eyes. I wasn't rushed nor I did not feel like he just wanted to move on to his next patient. And the surgery went perfectly well and again he took his time with me in the hospital the next day.
in Clarksboro, NJ |
I have no doubt when I chose Dr Woods to do my cervical spine surgery, that this was the best medical decision I have ever made. From our initial meeting, to all of my followup visits, I have gained a deep confidence in Dr Woods. My surgery and recovery have gone very smoothly, and I attribute that not only to Dr Woods skill as a surgeon, but to the level of trust I have in him. He is simply the best at forging a trusting experience with his patients. Dr Woods is simply wonderful doctor.
in Mays Landing, NJ |
I would definitely refer Dr.woods to my friends and family, he has a phenomenal bedside manner and he understood my pain and what I was going through. He is a Great Surgeon.
in DELANCO N J |
When I met with dr Woods I could hardly walk. I had to walk bent over. He looked over my M R I and said I needed surgery. A lumbar laminectomy and fusion would be needed. I had the surgery on Jan 17th 2017, six weeks later Dr. Woods told me I was completely healed and I had no restrictions. My back hasn't felt this good in years. Thank you Dr. Woods.
in manchester township, nj |
Dr. Woods is caring and confident. He talks directly to you and explains everything. I knew immediately that I was in good hands.
in vineland, nj |
Dr. woods is a great doctor, a well study in his field. I'm very please with his work. he takes the time to explain to you what is going on and what he has to do to fix the problem you may have. I would recommend Dr. woods to anyone that need surgery for their back. I would like to thank Dr. woods for the great work that he did on my back.
in blackwood, nj |
I have never had a doctor spent as much time reviewing my MRI and my options going forward. I felt as if I was a part of the team and not just "the patient". I had complete confidence in Dr. Woods and his team going forward and even more so following the surgery. Every time I met with him he always made the time to discuss all details of my case as needed. A total gentleman!
in Cape May, NJ |
Dr. Woods is a very involved with the patient doctor. He is very compassionate and understanding of a patient's concerns about the surgery and any possible problems. The level of surgical ability is beyond excellent and into the realm of fantastic. My after lumbar laminectomy and fusion pain level was absolutely ZERO. I will readily and enthusiastically recommend him any time.
in Petersburg NJ |
Dr. Woods was a great Surgeon. He kept me informed thru out the whole procedure. And his aftercare and concern about me was fantastic. I would highly recommend him to anyone. Also his staff was great to work with.
in sewell, nj |
I would highly recommend Dr. Woods. He was very informative regarding my situation and explaining what the surgery would entail. He has a very friendly demeanor, and has a way of making one feel comfortable. He really took his time, and listened to all of my (and my husband's) questions.
in Little Egg Harbor, NJ |
Easy to talk to, he doesn't talk above you. Explains all aspects of treatment and willing to answer all questions. Cares about his patients.
in Avalon, New Jersey |
I would highly recommend Dr.Woods to my family, friends or anyone else that needs a top notch Neurosurgeon. My initial visit with Dr. Woods was really good as he is a gentleman who puts you at ease with his great personality and confidence. He does not rush with his explanation of the recommended procedures as well as the alternatives. I elected a major back procedure and the results were excellent beyond expectations.
in cape may court house, nj |
My family and can't say enough about Dr. Woods. Dr. Woods has a way of making you feel safe and comfortable in his hands. My surgery went well and I'm doing very well with my recovery. I had my 1st,check up and all is well, Dr.Woods took the time to show me the e-rays and point out the progress since the surgery. I already have passed on Dr. Woods name to friends who may need to be seen for simular issues. My whole experience was professional and done in a timely manner. Thank You.
in Egg Harbor City, NJ |
Dr. Woods has been the most caring and competent surgeon I have worked with over my many years as a patient. I have had several procedures involving my cervical issues. Dr. Woods was recommended by another orthopedic surgeon at Rothman. He repaired a procedure done fifteen years ago and relieved the pain in my shoulder and arm. His professional demeanor coupled with his genuine care and concern for the patient are just a few of his hallmarks. He is a keeper! Highly recommended!
in Cherry Hill, NJ |
I have been a patient of Dr. Woods at the Washington Township office since October 2016, and then for surgery for lumbar fusion at Kennedy Washington Township on 11/8/2016. At all visits, he has been sweet and concerned about any/all symptoms. My hospital stay was OK, pain relief may have been less than optimal. He is a sweet and caring provider, a gem in the world of orthopedics!
in Mays Landing, NJ |
Dr Woods has a very calm, friendly demeanor which put me immediately at ease. I felt as if I could talk to him like a friend. The MRI, Dr Woods diagnosis and the unrelenting pain in my leg confirmed that I needed immediate discectomy surgery. After awakening from the procedure I realized that the pain was totally gone. A couple of hours later I was home and 4 days later I went back to work (desk job). This guy is the real deal! You will not find a better surgeon and caregiver than Dr Woods.
in 122 Country Ln,Sicklerville, NJ 08081 |
Down to earth kind of guy, made me feel very comfortable about procedure. He took his time to explain everything and I did not feel like I was just a number. I would use and recommend him without a doubt.
in Glassboro, NJ |
Dr. Woods saw me during my absolute worst, while I was in severe nerve pain, in my cervical spine area. He has a great demeanor and was very pleasant. He explained "in detail" the issues he saw and what course of action, he suggested we take. Day of the surgery, went over the procedure again with me, my wife, and my adult daughter. Day after surgery visited me again and followed up. Two weeks after surgery I'm feeling 100% better and it's because of the care Dr. Woods and his staff provided.
in Cape May, NJ |
Dr. Woods shows genuine empathy and takes the time to understand how your condition is affecting your life. Dr. Woods is up to date with new findings and innovative research. He arms you with all the necessary information to make an educated decision about your surgery. I felt completely safe with Dr. Woods; and, best of all, his beside the manner is kind, friendly and understanding.
in West Deptford, NJ |
I am an older successful surgical patient of Dr. Woods who is an exceptional surgeon and remarkable person. He is extremely knowledgeable, current and progressive in his expertise-spinal surgery. If you require surgery, he will know how to help you. If you don't--he will not recommend it just because he is a surgeon. He has a lot of integrity and genuinely cares about his patients(takes calls on the weekends!) His work ethic, concern and professionalism is modeled by his staff and surgical team
in Voorhees, NJ |
Dr. Woods has an excellent bedside manner! He's very personable and took the time to answer questions from my very anxious mother. As a nurse I have met many doctors over the years, through work and due to various procedures I've had. He was reassuring from the office, pre-op, & post-op. His pain protocol is excellent. I had a lumbar laminectomy & spinal fusion and woke-up in no pain and that continued after my discharge from the hospital. I recommend him without reservation!
in Egg Harbor Township, NJ |
I'm so happy to be pain free thanks to Dr Woods. He explained everything in detail and has great bedside manners. I do tell my friends what a great expieriance Rothman and Dr woods have been in my healing.
Have you seen Dr. Barrett Woods, MD?

Compare Dr. Woods

Dr. Woods says...

Dr. Woods is a board certified Spine surgeon and serves as an Assistant Professor in both the departments of Neurosurgery and Orthopaedic Surgery at Thomas Jefferson University.  Dr. Woods completed his residency program in Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh and went on to complete his Spine Surgery fellowship right here at Rothman Institute.

Dr. Woods has conducted extensive research in the field of orthopaedics and continues to do so, specifically in the treatment of cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine pathologies.  He has authored numerous publications, book chapters, abstracts, and poster and podium presentations and is a member of a number of professional societies, including the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.

Dr. Woods' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Neurosurgery
  •  No board certification on record with Healthgrades

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

• Ankle Sprains and Strains

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
    University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
    Rothman Inst-Thomas Jefferson U
    Clemson University

Dr. Woods does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Woods and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Neurosurgery

• Disc Replacement
  • Hip Replacement
  • Knee Replacement
  • Knee Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Spinal Fusion