Dr. Aziz Merchant, MD

Dr. Aziz Merchant, MD

Surgery  |
Dr. Aziz Merchant, MD is a surgery doctor who practices in Newark, NJ. He is 43 years old and has been practicing for 17 years. Read his story

90 Bergen St Ste 7100

• Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey
  • Medicaid of New Jersey

Learn about Dr. Merchant

Dr. Merchant's Experience

Dr. Merchant's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Surgery
  • Board certified in General Surgery
  • Board actions found

Dr. Merchant's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Merchant "Dr. Aziz Merchant's clinical expertise and areas of interest include minimally invasive surgical techniques, anti-reflux and hiatal hernia surgery, esophageal surgery and Achalasia, laparoscopic hernia repair, Bariatric surgery and obesity, and complex revisional laparoscopy. His research interests include surgical outcomes, patient-centered outcomes, surgical quality improvement, and cost-effectiveness research. From an educational perspective, Dr. Merchant's interests include surgical residency training and surgical simulation.Dr. Merchant currently serves as a committee member for Research, Publications, and Bariatrics committees of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons. He is an active member of the American College of Surgeons. Dr. Merchant completed medical school at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, followed by surgical residency at Georgetown University. Then he finished a fellowship in advanced laparoscopy and bariatric surgery at Emory University. Prior to arriving at Rutgers, he was an assistant professor and associate residency program director at Central Michigan University."

This content was provided by Dr. Merchant "To care for every patient as if they are family"

• Surgery

• Esophageal Diverticulum
  • Fournier's Gangrene
  • Gallbladder Diseases
  • Gastric Ulcer
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Gastrointestinal Bleeding
  • Ventral Hernia

• Appendectomy, Laparoscopic
  • Diaphragmatic-Paraesophageal Hiatal Hernia Repair
  • Diaphragmatic-Paraesophageal Hiatal Hernia Repair With Robotic Assistance
  • Enterostomy (Laparoscopic or Open)
  • Esophageal Surgery
  • Inguinal Hernia Surgery
  • Laparoscopic Adrenalectomy
  • Laparoscopic Anti-Reflux Surgery
  • Laparoscopic Colon Surgery
  • Laparoscopic Diaphragmatic or Paraesophageal Hernia Repair With Robotic Assistance
  • Laparoscopic Endocrine Surgery
  • Minimally Invasive Surgery
  • Open Diaphragmatic and-or Paraesophageal Hiatal Hernia Repair
  • Open Incisional and-or Ventral Hernia Repair
  • Paraesophageal Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Percutaneous Edoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
  • Re-Operative Surgery
  • Revision Surgery
  • Robotic Assisted Procedure
  • Robotic Heller Myotomy for the Treatment of Achalasia
  • Umbilical or Ventral Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

1 Board Action
  • Substandard Care, Incompetence or Negligence (10/16/2015)
    Action Taken: Fine
    Summary: Please reference the following Document
    Documentation: Download here (PDF)
    State: Michigan

• Georgetown University Hospital
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2008
  • Emory University Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2009

Dr. Merchant has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Merchant has no media or publications listed.

• Gujarati
  • Hindi
  • Urdu

Dr. Merchant does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Merchant and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Merchant's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Merchant to family and friends
Dr. Merchant's Performance
Newark, NJ |
Dr. Merchant is an excellent doctor. He has wonderful bedside matters. I would recommend to family & friends.
Newark, NJ |
Very caring doctor, he answered all my questions and I did not feel rushed during my office visit.
Hicksville, NY |
Great doctor, would highly recommend.
Belleville, NJ |
Recently, i had a gallbladder surgery with Dr Merchant. The surgery took less than 40 minutes and I was able to go home in less than 4 hours after surgery. Dr merchant is very nice, communicative and very open. He explained to me how he will approach the surgery and what I should expect. Finally. I can only recommend him for his expertise, communication skills, and the way he make people very comfortable.
in Passaic NJ |
The doctor and his staff were amazing ,the service was excellent,they are also extremely knowledgeable and kind...
in Milburn, NJ |
Thank you Dr. Aziz Merchant. My primary physician Dr. O'Neil referred me to Dr. Merchant for a hernia related evaluation. Dr. Merchant and his staff are very caring and professional. His advise was direct and informative providing both benefits and options including the downside associated with hernia repair.
in Newark, NJ |
I'm very happy to have Dr AZIZ MERCHANT repairing my inguinal hernia. I'm very pleased with the outcome of the surgery. Dr AZIZ was very pleasant during the procedure.
in Whippany nj |
The doctor and all his staff were very patient and very thorough. Explain what all my options were and what my risks would be . I like their honesty which made me feel very comfortable in my dission. They were there with me and my family during my procedure from start to finish. I would recommend Dr Merchant to all my friends and family.
in Irvington, NJ |
Dr. Merchant treated me with great care and genuine concern. I felt like I was in great hands. He informed me of the pros and cons of the surgery. I was nervous, he relaxed me with a warm attitude so did the staff. Dr. Merchant answered all my questions and gave me top notch cared during the follow up...
in Avenel, NJ |
He is very good dr tell me everything clear and he make me confortable
in newark nj |
Dr.mechant cares about his patients he takes his time to explain everything
in Clifton, NJ |
My 90 year old father was a patient of Dr. Merchant's. He was compassionate, and caring about my dad and very open and honest in discussing his treatment with me.
in Passaic NJ |
Very profesional and kind. Explained procedure complication clearly and was very compasionate. I thank you so much for your bedside manners you are a true professional. God surely put you on my path , you are truly blessed. I would recomend this Doctor without a doubt, God bless and thank you!!!
in Clifton, NJ |
very understanding to the needs of patients and course of action needed to be taking
in Clifton, NJ |
dr. merchant is an excellant communicator, curteous , and helpful. he is also a great surgeon.
in Jersey City, NJ |
Dr. Merchant did successful Hernia surgery to my husband Vicente Gaudite..So far no complications and entertained problems by phone when we're confused when it comes to medications and side affects after the surgery.
in Scotch Plains, NJ |
Very professional experience. I would reccomend him to friends.
in East Orange, NJ |
Dr.Merchant is frendly, professional and easy to talk with and understand. He is clear and direct making the process simple and on point. I would reccomend him to my family and friends. Thank you Dr. Merchant
in Newark, NJ |
I had hernia repair surgery. The surgery was excellent. Dr. and team are caring and lovely. I liked everything since the consultation until after surgery. I appreciate everything that they've done for me. I am really happy with the final result.
in Orange, NJ |
dr Merchant, has been the best , a very patient doctor, he made me fee very comfortable on all there of my sergeries, you could barley see a mark.. he gets 100 from me
in Newark, NJ |
he is very pleasant as well as the rest of the nursing staff. He is attentive and helpful. the staff treats each indiviual with grace and dignity. I enjoy my visit everytime im here
in Newark, NJ |
Dr. Merchant is a very good doctor, he took care of all my medical needs. i would recommend him to family and friend.
in Paterson NJ |
Dr.Merchant he is the best doctor god bless you always.
in Newark, NJ |
My medical appointments and session with surgeon, Dr. Aziz M. Merchant at University Hospital in Newark, New Jersey was a pleasant experience. He was complete, took time to explain his diagnosis, the prognosis, and explained and offered me a surgical procedure to repair the condition. Important was that he was timely, polite, informative and very friendly. Dr. Merchant made me feel relaxed and comfortable in his office and in the operating room. Thank You Dr. Merchant By:Richard Baldwin, Patient
in Passaic |
The doc explained the procedure he was going to preform why he was performing it and an alternative procedure if there were any problems
in Newark NJ |
Dr.Merchant by far is one of the best doctor's and surgeon I ever met,he puts your concern and health first,He not like other doctors today who don't even look you in the face or listen to you when you speak or when he talks back,He never forgot why he became a doctor which is to help ppl in medical need,so thank you Dr. Merchant for being a great doctor and my surgeon.
in East Rutherford, NJ |
Dr Merchant was an outstanding surgeon, very helpful is all aspect prior to and after the surgery, I am please to have him as my surgeon. He was very professional and caring doctor.
in East Orange, NJ |
He was good, he helped me with the problem i had. So this is why i gave him a four
in newark nj |
dr merchant is a great doctor i have had three hernias repaired with him on two seperate surgerys and i dont have one complaint
in West Orange, NJ |
Dr. Merchant was my surgeon for a problem that required surgical intervention. He clearly explained the problem in great detail and the operation needed to correct the problem using the most up-to-date procedure. Although the surgery was more involved than had been anticipated, there were no complications. In the hospital and at follow-up visit, Dr.Merchant took the time to explain and answer all of my concerns. He has also done the same for a recently hospitalized family member.
in Carteret , NJ |
Dr. Merchant had to reverse my colostomy that was done by another surgeon. At the time my wound was infected and I had to be checked into the hospital due to a drop in my blood pressure and fainting spell. As soon as he saw me he started cleaning the wound. When he was done I looked at it and I was shocked, it was so clean and so different to the point I told him he is not just a surgeon he is an artist !
Have you seen Dr. Aziz Merchant, MD?
Are you Dr. Merchant?