Dr. Atul Patel, MD

Dr. Atul Patel, MD

Neurosurgery  ·

Contact for availability

Dr. Atul Patel, MD is a neurosurgery specialist in Fairfield, CA and has been practicing for 24 years. He specializes in neurosurgery.Read his story

NorthBay Center for Neuroscience

1860 Pennsylvania Ave Ste 230

Fairfield, CA 94533

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of California
  • Western Health Advantage

Learn about Dr. Patel

See how frequently Dr. Patel performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Traumatic Brain Injury
high
Meningiomas
Craniectomy, Craniotomy, Surgery of Skull Base, Neuroendoscopy

Dr. Patel's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Patel's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Patel "As a spine surgeon I concentrate on surgical diseases of the spinal cord, and surrounding structures like discs, bone and connective tissues. The typical patients I see will have neck or back pain or pain in their arms and legs caused by things like herniated discs or degeneration of the spine. I view my role as being in a partnership with the patient. I take the time to listen and hear what they have to say to and delve into their issue, rather than just diving into a surgery based on objective tests. I believe you have to listen and hear what they are saying and feeling and apply that, as well. It's important that a doctor not just have surgical skills but also empathy. I credit my upbringing for that. I was raised by a mom with tremendous empathy and an amazing ability to listen. I learned that from her and she instilled in me a desire to help others. I get the most joy in my work when I am able to help my patient do well and be happy. It is true that when others feel joy, we get joy as well. I chose neurosurgery as my path in medicine because I think the connection between the brain and body is fascinating. Other organs in the body can go bad and some even can be replaced through transplants but the brain is at the core of you. It affects every part of you. I grew up on the East Coast but went to school at the University of California, San Francisco. After I graduated, I wanted to be in a program where I could see a wide array of neurosurgical issues and found that in Pittsburgh. But I loved the Bay Area and so I moved back and worked for a number of years in Oakland as the chief of neurosurgery at Highland Hospital before coming to NorthBay. Initially, I came to NorthBay as part of the on-call panel as NorthBay worked to achieve its Level II trauma designation. I fell in love with the culture and infrastructure of NorthBay and am happy to be a part of the NorthBay Center for Neuroscience. I enjoy working at NorthBay very much. NorthBay provides support for the whole patient and that is tremendously important to really excellent patient care. When I'm not working, I like to work out. In addition to helping my physical health, I find it puts my mind in great balance as well. And I have lots of friends and family who I enjoy spending time with, enjoying good food and travel and wine tasting in this beautiful region of California."

• Neurosurgery

• Brain Cancer
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Hemorrhage
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cerebrovascular Disease
  • Chiari's Deformity
  • Cranial Trauma
  • Ear Disorders
  • Epilepsy
  • Hydrocephalus
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Meningiomas
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus
  • Thoracic Spine Fracture
  • Thrombosis
  • Traumatic Brain Injury
  • Vertebral Column Tumors

No malpractice history found for California.

• Univ Of Ca
    Medical School | Graduated 1994
  • University Health Center Of Pittsburgh

Dr. Patel has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Patel does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Patel and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Patel's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Patel

2.3

Dr. Patel?
Dr. Patel's Performance

How was your experience with Dr. Patel?

Compare Neurosurgeons