Sports Medicine Orthopedic Joint Reconstruction  |
Dr. Ashvin Dewan, MD
Dr. Ashvin K. Dewan is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine and arthroscopy. He is native to Sugar Land, TX and graduated as valedictorian of Hightower High School. Dr. Dewan earned his Bachelor of Science in Bioegineering from Rice University, Houston Texas and his medical degree from Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX. He graduated Summa Cum Laude with highest honors. He next completed his internship and a residency in orthopedic surgery at Johns Hopkins University Hospital and School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland. He earned the school's Most Outstanding Resident Research Award for his contribution in orthopedic research. In Baltimore, Dr. Dewan served as assistant team physician of MLB's Baltimore Orioles. He then completed a sports medicine fellowship, including training in the latest arthroscopic surgical techniques, at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri. In St. Louis, he served as assistant team physician for the NFL's St. Louis Rams and the NHL's St. Louis Blues, as well as the university's athletic teams. When an opportunity to join the growing practice at Houston Methodist Orthopedics and Sports Medicine in Sugar Land arose, it was easy an easy decision for him to return home. He is excited to be back serving his local community.

Houston Methodist Orthopedics & Sports Medicine

16811 Southwest Fwy Fl 2

Sugar Land, TX 77479

• Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois
  • Coventry Health Care of Illinois
  • Coventry Health Care of Kansas, Inc.
  • Coventry Health Care of Missouri

Learn about Dr. Dewan

My goal is to provide the least invasive personalized treatment possible appropriate for each patient's condition and lifestyle. Whether the elite athlete or the weekend warrior, I want to get them back to the activities they love as quickly and as safely as possible. All treatment plans are individually crafted and discussed utilizing the most modern and clinically proven orthopedic techniques.

Dr. Dewan's Experience

Dr. Dewan's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Sports Medicine Orthopedic Joint Reconstruction

• Orthopedic Shoulder & Elbow Surgery
  • Orthopedic Sports Medicine
  • Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery
  • Sports Medicine

Dr. Dewan does not have any board certifications listed.

• Adhesive Capsulitis
  • Ankle Sprain and Achilles Tendon Sprain or Rupture
  • Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) or Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Tear
  • Broken Arm
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Rotator Cuff Tear

• Johns Hopkins University / School of Medicine
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2014
  • Washington University School Of Medicine
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2015

Dr. Dewan has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Dewan has no media or publications listed.

• Hindi

Dr. Dewan does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Dewan and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Dewan's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Dewan to family and friends
Dr. Dewan Says:

I value my patients feedback and input. If you were unhappy with your experience at Houston Methodist Orthopedics & Sports Medicine, please give us the opportunity to rectify the situation. Please do not hesitate to contact my office directly at (281) 275-0470. We will try our best to incorporate your feedback to improve our patients' experience.

Dr. Dewan's Performance
This guy is the best. I thought my athletic career was over, but he helped me get through it and explained everything I had to do to heal my meniscus tear. Go to this guy, he will get everything working again.
in BOLING, Texas |
I would like to thank Dr. Dewan and the staff at Houston Methodist. They took exceptional care of my daughter from diagnosis through surgery and physical therapy. I cannot begin to thank them enough for getting my baby girl healthy and happy again!
Austin, TX |
My husband and I love the way Dr Dewany and his team took great care of our son. He did a excellent job, are son is back to playing football and other physical activities. Thank you and God bless you and your team.
in Boling, TX |
I highly recommend Dr. Dewan. He gave professional - kind - caring treatment for my broken ankle. Both Dr. Dewan and his staff took the time necessary to treat my ankle and to help me complete the healing process.
in Bay City, TX |
Doctor Dewan took a great interest in my condition and listened to my concerns. The therapist was extremely impressed with the detailed instructions for my recovery. The follow up appointment was informative as well. I would recommend Dr. Dewan to anyone needing his experience.
in Sugar Land, Tx |
I went to Dr. Dewan with a swollen hand and wrist. After the X-Rays and our discussion, he said that there was an infection that had moved to my wrist joint. I went for lab work and then had my medication filled. Dr. Dewan called me at home on a Saturday to give me the lab results and check on my progress. I was completely impressed that the Dr. himself, called me on a Saturday. I have been for 2 followups and finished my antibotics and am doing well. I would refer Dr. Dewan to others.
in Richmond, Texas |
Dr Dewan takes time to sit down and answer questions. I was very pleased with my care! He seemed very knowledgeable. He is not quick to rush into surgery unless necessary.
Houston, TX |
This doctor really impressed me. He took the time to explain my MRI in detail. I had previously gone to two other orthopedic surgeons who missed my diagnosis entirely. I am so blessed to have found Dr. Dewan. My surgery was scheduled promptly, he called me several times at home to follow up with me, impressive. I'm back at work doing fine. I will eagerly refer someone else to him.
in Missouri City, TX |
Dr. Dewan repaired my torn meniscus. He made me aware of everything that would be done during surgery and what I should expect during my recovery time. He even called me the day after surgery to see how I was doing and if my pain was under control. Amazing!!
in Spring, TX |
Thank Dr. Dewan for all you have done for me. In a time that i did not know what to expect. You were most helpful and caring. You took the time to listen to all my concerns and made me feel at ease under your care. You took the time to return my calls between visits which made me feel better. It has been a really long time since I have seen a doctor that took their time with me during office visits and not rush me along. You have the most caring & loving staff I have ever seen.
in Houston, TX |
I saw Dr. Dewan for ankles/ knees pain which others had recommended surgery. He's thorough, honest, and compassionate. He said surgery wouldn't help my knees conditions. He prescribed Celebrex, and physical therapy, and explained to me the expected results. He also treated me for shoulder pain. As expected, so far I've experienced improvement in mobility, flexibility, and strength, in my upper and lower body, and less shoulder pain. His nurse, Kim, is excellent. I highly recommend Dr. Dewan.
in Houston, TX |
He knew all the latest statistics and studies and gave really good insight on what was best. He put our needs along with the needs of Maria's future at the top. Maria could have gotten cleared before 6 months and Dr. Dewan told us that statistically what happens when people come back before 6 months and it made the decision better for Maria's future. I would highly recommend any person to go to Dr. Dewan because of these things. He is the future of his profession.
in Sugar Land, TX |
I would recommend Dr. Dewan to family and friends.He's a very caring ,professional,attentive and knowledgeable doctor.I appreciate Dr. Dewan taking care of me after my accident.
in Sugar Land , TX |
He is very knowledgeable and explains your injury to make it easier to understand.
Houston, TX |
Dr. Dewan, Cam and staff provided excellent care for my daughter. It was such a convenience to be able to make the appointments with the after hours clinic. I am extremely happy to have been able to schedule an appointment after work.
in El Campo, TX |
Dr. Dewan was very informative! My daughter had an ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair. He was an exceptional doctor with extensive knowledge and experience. I valued the personal experience and thoroughness he provided. He explained everything step by step. She has recovered exceptionally well, better than we could of dreamed of. His staff, especially Cam, is wonderful. Dr.Dewan and her both went above and beyond. I have recommended him several times already and will continue to.
Houston, TX |
The surgery was succesful and alleviated all of my shoulder pain
in Bay City, TX |
I recently broke my hip over the weekend and was admitted to Methodist Sugarland. I was assigned a doctor that was on-call and covered by my insurance, I had no say in the matter. I was so blessed to have received Dr. Dewan as my surgeon! I could not have asked for a better Doctor. His bedside manner is exemplary, and his care is genuine. I highly recommend him to anyone needing an orthopedic surgeon!
in Sugar Land, TX |
He is very professional and instills confidence that he knows what to do while also being very caring and compassionate. He takes the time to listen intently to what you have to say and will answer all questions that you may have. Most importantly, he gets results.
Mountain Home, TX |
I wanted to add to my review that Dr. Dewan was very thorough with his examination. He explained everything , listened to our concerns and was very patient. Anytime we had a question , his assistant was easy to contact by phone or email and we received a prompt response from Dr. Dewan (or we were connected to him by phone). His staff was excellent also!
in Houston, TX |
Did not accept responsibility for poor surgical outcome for my daughters meniscus and ligament tear, very condescending, yelled to my daughter her pain was all in her head, very arrogant personality, will avoid coming back to him in the future
Hello Mike. I think you maybe confusing me with a different surgeon. I haven't done any meniscus surgery on any young females recently. I certainly never yell at my patients. This is not consistent with the way I run my practice. Furthermore, your star ratings suggesting our office is not clean, that my staff is rude, and that I don't listen is completely inconsistent with everything I believe in. Please contact my office (281 2750470) so we can see if there is some way I can help.
in Houston, TX |
Why should I continue to wait so long? Then he sees me, and is extremely condescending about my treatment. More than anything, he seems me for two or three minutes and moves on to his next patient. My last visit was a total of 4 minutes, and I felt like I had to rush through my questions. I'll never come here again. Also, I needed a MRI b/c I'm in severe pain. It has been over a week since he received the results, & I have yet to hear from him despite calling 5 times.
Hello JL. I think you maybe confusing me with a different surgeon. We have a call log for our office and all my employees know that patient calls must be returned in 2 hours. I reviewed the log and I do not see any calls that were not addressed. Furthermore, your allegations that you have not received the results is unusual since as a policy I discuss all MRI results with my patients in clinic face to face. Please contact my office (2812750470) so we can see if there is some way I can help.
in Houston, TX |
This was a second opinion visit as my previous Dr. was opaque and unclear regarding my situation while appearing to push a procedure the did not seem to jive with the MIR report. Dr. Dewan took the time to explain in very clear terms what my situation was and what I needed to do going forward. He physically examined me which my previous Dr. did not do. He listened to what I had to say and made me feel comfortable that I had a path forward to a cure. His assistant is equally commended. Thanks
in Richmond, TX |
Dr. Dewan was very professional and was very detailed about the surgery that was done on my son's knee. He was also very patient and always asked if you have any questions about anything. Our overall experience with him and his staff was great and I would recommend him to anyone looking for a sports medicine doctor.
in Houston, TX |
Dr. Dewan is an excellent physician; he listens to the patients and explains the options quite succinctly.
in Rosenberg, TX |
Dr. Dewan was very thorough in assessing and treating my daughter's broken wrist. He was always professional and friendly. He was also very sensitive to my daughter's anxiety over needing to have surgery. I appreciated the kindnesses he showed when she got emotional knowing her injury would keep her from performing in the school play. I'm very impressed with his overall service to us!
in Houston, TX |
I was referred to Dr. Dewan after I broke my arm in 5 places near the wrist and needed surgery to put in a plate and screws. Its been 4 months since the operation and I now have 95% mobility. Dr. Dewan is a skilled surgeon and he and his staff are very courteous and professional. I would highly recommend his services without reservation.
in Missouri City, TX |
Dr Dewan is highly professional & was able to diagnose my problem & suggest physical therapy for improvement.
Tyler, TX |
Dr. Dewan did not rush us and took the time to answer all questions. He showed sincere concern for his patient!
in Sugar Land, TX |
He was very thorough and he took time to explain what was wrong with my knee. He is very professional and cares for his patients. The extended office hours are fantastic!!!
in Sugar Land, TX |
Thorough examination of the issues; explained the options and we started with the least invasive first. Great 'bedside' manner. Great Nurse.
in Houston, TX |
Overall my experience with Dr. Dewan and his team was excellent. However, I did find one of the receptionists (she was 1 of 3 that I checked in with) to be particularly difficult and rude when I asked about getting copies of my X-ray. It's a shame that this person left such a bad impression.
in Angleton Tx |
Dr.Dewan and his staff are very professional and caring about your needs. He answered all my questions and go me back to work quicker than I ever thought.He got me into his office the day I made the appointment for a cracked kneecap.
in Houston, TX |
Dr. Dewan was very helpful in explaining what was the cause of my pain, and explaining the procedures for treatment. He was extremely kind, and made sure I had a complete understanding of the process before the end of each appointment. Also, the late hours provided by his office was very helpful with my busy work schedule. I am very glad I was referred to Dr. Dewan, I know I was in good hands.
in Sugar Land, TX |
Great appointment. Dr. Dewan was very personable and explained everything extensively and understandably. Will recomend.
Dr.Ashvin and his staff were absolutely amazing. First off the office staff was incredible the kindest people I've ever encountered at any office visit else where. Answered all my questions verified with my insurance promptly. Thence the wait time was none, I walked into the room and 2 minutes later Dr.Ashvin knocked at the door to see me. He is so kind and knowledgeable goes above and beyond with your exam and hearing what you describe as your problem. 100% would refer him.
in Sugar Land, TX |
Very considerate and kind.
I was very please with Dr Dewann personal interest in my medical issues. He times the time and answered all of my concerns. I feel that my experience was excellent .
in Missouri City, Texas |
Dr. Dewan and his team are Knowledgeable, professional and caring. The key to their excellence and success is listening to the patient and then applying their knowledge, training, expertise and experience.
in Richmond, TX |
Explains every aspect of your care and responds quickly when needed.
Texas |
Very professional, friendly and knowledgable.
in Sugar Land, TX |
Dr. Dewan and his staff were very courteous thoughtful and polite. I commend them for their ability to serve patients with the utmost respect.
Dr. Dewan was thorough and spent time explaining the injury and treatment.
in Missouri City, TX |
Dr Dewan was great He explains things in simple terms so you can understand your problem and treatment. This is rare and a very good thing I would recommend him to anyone Does not require unnecessary tests
Dr. Dewan and his staff were fantastic! I would highly recommend Dr. Dewan to my friends and family. He takes the time to throughly explain what is going on. He made sure that all my questions were address and I never felt rushed. He is very knowledgable and made sure I understood what was going on with my injury. The entire staff is friendly and accommodating, there was hardly any wait time each time I was there. I hope I don't need to return, but if I do I will definitely come here!
in SugarLand Tx |
Dr Dewan and his entire were AWESOME from start to finish. He apologized for the wait time we had. Dr Dewan was very kind and answered all of our questions.
in Missouri City, TX |
My son had a pretty nasty injury to his finger lifting weights at school and we were immediately sent to Dr Dewan for urgent care. He was thorough, attentive, asked questions and listened and responded to answers and I could not be more pleased with the care we received! I would highly recommend this Dr and facility!!
Very attentive to my daughter's injury and clear with instructions and advise for proper recovery.
in Houston, TX |
Dr. Dewan is an excellent doctor by any measurement standards. He has all the attributes you would look for in a doctor and surgeon. He is an attentive listener, explains and shares his opinions clearly, and explores all possibilities prior to recommending surgery. After trying other options, Dr. Dewan performed surgery to repair my torn meniscus. I am very pleased with the results, as well as the care he and his team have provided. I would recommend Dr. Dewan without reservation.
in Sugar Land, TX |
Very friendly, extremely knowledgable about my child's injury and very professional.
Have you seen Dr. Ashvin Dewan, MD?

Visit Dr. Dewan

• Coventry Health Care of Illinois
    Coventry Health Care of Illinois PPO
    Health and Life PPO
    Platinum PPO
  • Coventry Health Care of Kansas, Inc.
    Coventry Health Care of Kansas, Inc. PPO