Dr. Arturo Portales, DO

Dr. Arturo Portales, DO

Addiction Medicine | Male | 57 years old

49 reviews| Leave a review
You've got options
Here's a few other providers to consider
Filter Your Results

As a functional medicine and anti-aging specialist, I approach medicine with a different paradigm. Instead of simply treating symptoms, which I do treat, I also do a detailed search for the root causes of those symptoms. This approach is individualized and is truly no one size does fits all. Furthermore, I emphasize the importance of lifestyle and diet/nutrition in each patient's health and wellness. Optimal health is not just the absence of disease.Read more

Dr. Portales' Experience

See how Dr. Portales' experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Portales

Dr. Portales' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Portales to family and friends
2.1
Experience with Dr. Portales
Dr. Portales' Office & Staff
    31 – 45 minutes (45)
in CA |
"This place is EXTREMELY POORLY RUN. Takes forever to get back tests results, NO ONE EVER ANSWERS the phone when you are transferred. The nurses and secretaries act annoyed that you are requesting that they DO THEIR JOB. No empathy or compassion exhibited by any of the staff at all. This place is HORRIBLE, do not go here as there are so many great places in CA to choose from. "
in Los Angeles |
Three months later, after discussing my appointment with the practice manager and being promised that I would receive a refund of my copay and that my insurance would not be billed for my visit nor for my labs, I still have not received my refund of my copay. My insurance was also billed for my labs (luckily they were covered in full). This place is such a hot mess.
in California |
physician was the worst doctor I have EVER visited. If you are looking for a doctor who will take the time to ask thoughtful questions, this is not the person. He rushed through the appointment and practically kicked me out of the office after 30 seconds.
in CA |
This is the most poorly managed and disorganized medical office I have ever encountered. The staff are incredibly rude to patients and they are completely uninformed. Additionally, there is absolutely not confidentiality when checking in or out.
in CA |
Just so poor in customer service. A week since my consultation when I had tests done. I was told I would get results same day and yet I have left three messages and not received a call back. How inconsiderate that you would put patients through this?! It is discourteous and anxiety causing. Not at all impressed and will be moving elsewhere.
in Los Angeles, Westchester |
They accept "walk-ins" but fail to tell you it will be at least 2hrs before being seen. Once finally in a room and talking to a doctor busted into my room to "get supplies" three separate times. No privacy. No consideration for other people's time. Not a good experience.
in CA |
I would not recommend this practice. I have never been able to get in to see a doctor, The wait in waiting room is long. And once I get in I'm rushed through my appointment. It feels like they could care less about medicine or patients and just about $$$ as others have said. Looking for a new Doctor.
in CA |
I had scheduled an appointment, already taken the time off work, then I get a voice mail saying that my appointment is canceled and to call to reschedule. So I call and the next available time they give me almost 2 months away! Given the fact that I wasn't the one that canceled you would think they would be more accommodating.
in Santa Monica |
Really horrible customer service. The remainder of the staff were rude, unkind, and generally apathetic. Starting from calling to make an appointment I got hung up on, put on hold and forgotten about. After my visit, they forgot to follow up and didn't submit my insurance appropriately. I spoke with the office manager who just made excuses and was dismissive. They have a malpractice suit in the making if they continue to treat patients this way. Seriously DANGEROUS way to treat patients.
in Los Angeles, Dockweiler |
Dr. Portales came in, never introduced himself, never shook my hand and never looked at the red spots on my face closely. He was stuck up, full of himself and prescribed me with cosmetics that are sold at his office. Very unprofessional and will never come back. Clearly was trying to sell their stuff.
in Los Angeles, Sanford |
"I had scheduled an appointment, already taken the time off work, then I get a voice mail saying that my appointment is canceled and to call to reschedule. So I call and the next available time they give me almost 2 months away! Given the fact that I wasn't the one that canceled you would think they would be more accommodating "
in Los Angeles |
"Worst customer service. I was treated rudely both when I called to make the appointment AND when I arrived at the office. This seems to be a recurring theme at doctors' offices for me lately. When will medical professionals realize that customer service is important to their business??"
in LA Beaches |
"Came here for a reoccurring skin issue. Was given cursery diagnosis without a real look. Stilll not helpful, if diagnosis or treatment was correct it wouldn't keep occurring No one answers the phones, so it's nearly impossible to either make or cancel an appointment. I've waited on hold for 10 minutes more than once, never answered. The system dumps me out multiple times and puts me back at the original calling menu with the message that the call can't be connected at this time."
in Riverside |
Was put on hold for over 15 minutes friday, called back and it rang off the hook. Finally got a hold of a human being and they could not help me. he told me to call later and said they were open till 7... They apparently close before 6, because I called at 6 and the office ringtone said they were closed. They do not try to help you or contact your insurance provider to authorize for them to pay for your prescription, when the prescription is covered. No customer service.
in VA |
There is a oriental doctor, very ,VERY, unpleasant. he prescribed me the wrong medicine! The man must hate her job, he shows it. I will not go there when he is there. The rest of the staff is outstanding!
in Santa Ana, CA |
"I signed up for healthgrades just to write this review. (First review I've ever written). This is by far the worst doctor's office I've ever been to, hands down. The doctors themselves are fine (once you get to see them), but expect to wait at least 1-2 hours past your appointment time! Furthermore, it's impossible to reach a nurse or the referrals department on the phone, too. The staff are incredibly rude and unhelpful. I will never visit this place again. If I could give the place 0
in CA92705 |
Bull crap…..If you want to waste your time here's the place to go, "WELCOME." "To 30 min of a waste of ur life; how may we help you waste your time and money" ?
Santa Ana, CA |
He takes the time to ensure I understand my labs, offers solid and sound recommendations for solutions such as pharma grade supplements and nutrition.
Have you seen Dr. Arturo Portales, DO?
Are you Dr. Portales?

Compare Dr. Portales

Dr. Portales' Care Philosophy

Dr. Portales' experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Addiction Medicine
  •  Board certified in Emergency Medicine
  •  Sanctions found

No malpractice history found for California.

Dr. Portales has received 3 sanctions

• License revocation or suspension (9/22/2005)
    • Action Taken: Revocation
    • Summary: Dr Arturo Portales; License # 02635

Nature of Complaint:

The revocation of the license to practice medicine in the State of Kentucky.

Action Taken:

The Board has Revoked the Physician's license and ordered the Physician to pay the remaining $24,000.00 presently outstanding.

February 11, 2009-Licensed Reinstated/Agreed Order of Indefinite Restriction

The physician on 01-07-2009 successfully completed the Special Purpose Examination.

The board has Reinstated the physician's license to practice osteopathic medicine in the State of Kentucky. The physician has entered into an Agreed Order of Indefinite Restriction with the board subject to the following terms of restriction/limitation:

1. The physician may resume the active practice of osteopathic medicine in the State of Kentucky.
      2. The physician shall not engage in any Internet prescribing practices and shall not prescribe any medications including controlled substances over the Internet in response to any requests or responses received over the Internet.
      3. The physician shall pay the remainder of the imposed fine in the amount of $24,000.00 under Case # 782 at an annual rate of $6000.00 each year.
    • State: Kentucky
    • Disciplinary action in another state (11/29/2002)
    • Action Taken: Surrender
    • Summary: Arturo Portales, DO, Lic# 05032

Nature of Complaint:

Board Order based on resolution of requirements of 2/13/02 Entry of Order and in lieu of formal disciplinary proceedings based on 5/15/02 action by Kentucky’s medical board.

Action Taken:

Doctor’s voluntary surrender of medical license accepted by Board.

Doctor ineligible for reinstatement or licensure in the future.

• State: Ohio
    • Misprescribing or Overprescribing Drugs (10/23/2000)
    • Action Taken: Surrender
    • Summary: Dr. Arturo Portales; License No. 3315; Case No. 2766

NATURE OF COMPLAINT:

The Board scheduled an Investigative hearing to address the charges that Dr. Portales was prescribing prescription-only and controlled substance medications via the internet to the public without establishing a doctor/patient relationship or seeing the patient in the office to complete a physical and history.

ACTION TAKEN:

Dr. Portales requested that the Board allow him to voluntarily Surrender his license, due to the fact that he resides in another state.

• State: Arizona

Why It Matters: Dr. Portales' Board Certifications

• Emergency Medicine

• Addiction
  • Adult Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
  • Opiate Dependence

Graduated in 1981

• Other Education
    Fellowship In Anti-Aging, Functional, and Regenerative Medicine

Completed in 2011

Dr. Portales does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Portales and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Addiction Medicine