Bariatric Surgery  |
Dr. Arif Ahmad, MD
Arif Ahmad MD, FRCS, FACS is recognized as one of America's top surgeons. He specializes in minimally invasive surgery. This cutting edge surgery is done with small incisions and minimal pain and scarring. This includes all surgical procedures in the abdomen such as surgery of the stomach, esophagus (reflux), gallbladder, colon, spleen, and hernia. He is also trained in utilizing the da Vinci Robot, the most advanced surgical platform in the world. Dr. Ahmad specializes in the laparoscopic gastric bypass, the lap band and the sleeve gastrectomy. He was the first surgeon in the area to have performed the laparoscopic gastric bypass and the Robotic Assisted gastric bypass. Prior to his arrival in Stony Brook the operation was only being done in the open fashion with big incisions. He was also the first surgeon in Stony Brook to have performed the lap band. Dr. Ahmad has more than 20 years of surgical experience. After completing Medical School and residency, he trained in the UK and obtained the FRCS(England and Edinburgh). He then did an eighteen month advanced training (fellowship) in Harvard Medical School. This was followed by another five year residency at the University of Connecticut. He spent a year mastering advanced training in Laparoscopic Surgery (fellowship) at the University of Virginia. He was appointed Director of Laparoscopic Surgery at Stony Brook University in 2001, where he taught other doctors to perform laparoscopic surgery including laparoscopic bariatric surgery. Dr. Ahmad is renowned in the Long Island area for his impeccable track record of safety and success. He is the author of innovative surgical techniques in the field of laparoscopic bariatric surgery. This includes a new technique to prevent intestinal obstruction and a technique to detect leaks. These have been published in international Journals and have been adopted by surgeons worldwide. Dr. Ahmad has developed and pioneered the Innovative Single Incision Needlescopic lap band and gastric bypass. Dr. Ahmad started and currently is the Director of Bariatric surgery at John T. Mather Memorial Hospital, where he currently performs most of his surgeries. He is a member of American Society of Bariatric Surgery, Fellow of American College of Surgeons, and member of Society of American Gastroendoscopic Surgeons. Dr. Ahmad conducts patient education sessions every two weeks at Mather Hospital in Port Jefferson and in varying locations across Suffolk County.

625 Belle Terre Rd Ste 202

Learn about Dr. Ahmad

An Advanced Laparoscopic surgery practice combining Surgical Excellence with Compassionate Care . On the cutting edge utilizing the most advanced surgical techniques.

Dr. Ahmad's Experience

Dr. Ahmad's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Bariatric Surgery

• Cholecystitis and Gallstones
  • Diaphragmatic and-or Hiatal Hernia
  • Gallbladder Diseases
  • Gallbladder and Biliary Tract Cancer
  • Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
  • Hemorrhoids
  • Intestinal Obstruction
  • Lipomas
  • Liver Diseases and Disorders
  • Parathyroid (Gland) Disease
  • Peripheral Vascular Disease (PAD, PVD)
  • Phlebitis and Thrombophlebitis
  • Ventral Hernia

• Acid Reflux Surgery
  • Adjustable Gastric Banding
  • Appendectomy, Laparoscopic
  • Bariatric Surgery (Weight Loss Surgery)
  • Colectomy
  • Gastric Bypass Surgery, Laparoscopic
  • Gastric Restrictive With Partial Gastrectomy or Jejunojejunostomy
  • Incisional Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Inguinal Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Intestinal Transplant (incl. Enterectomy)
  • Laparoscopic Abdominal Surgery
  • Stomach Surgery
  • Umbilical or Ventral Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Weight Loss Management
  • Weight Loss Revisional Surgery

No malpractice history found for New York.

• University Of Calcutta Medical College

• Patients Choice Award, 2009,2010,
  • Top Surgeons of America, 2009

• Hindi
  • Urdu

Dr. Ahmad does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Ahmad and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Ahmad's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Ahmad to family and friends
Dr. Ahmad's Performance
in West Islip, NY |
Dr. Ahmad has all bases covered. From the initial seminar through my post operative visits, his entire staff is nothing short of excellence and professionalism.
in Central Islip, NY |
I highly recommend Dr. Ahmad and his team. Dietician, Barbara is amazing and has helped me so much. Dr. Arellano is the sweetest, most caring doctor I’ve ever met. Dr. Ahmad’s Bariatric Center of Excellence truly earned its title for a good reason and I’m truly pleased to have entered my new life’s journey with all their expertise, guidance and support by my side.
in Centereach, NY |
I cannot stress how wonderful Dr. Ahmad and his staff are.....before surgery and after. The staff at Mather Hospital were very attentive and caring during my stay there. I have recommended them to many people.
in Holbrook, NY |
Dr. Ahmad is a very caring physician. He and his staff did a wonderful job. The nurses at Mather Hospital are hand picked for his patients and they go above and beyond. I have only positive experiences dealing with everyone on his team.
in Holtsville , NY |
I had Gastric Sleeve surgery on August 4. The office and hospital staff were wonderful. Everyone has a smile . So helpful, courteous, caring and efficient ! Dr. Ahmad , Dr. Agarwala and Dr. Arellano are all top notch surgeons. They gave me the best care, answered every question I had , made me feel so comfortable and they were so excited to start my weight loss journey with me . I was in the best hands. I had such confidence in everyone and in my decision. I recommend this AMAZING practice 100 %
in Bellport, NY |
I WOULD JUST LIKE TO TAKE A MOMENT TO THANK DR.AHMAD, AND HIS ENTIRE STAFF FOR THIER COURTESY, DEDICATION, PROFESSIONALISM, AND MOST OF ALL BEING SO PERSONABLE WITH MYSELF AND I EXPECT PLENTY OF FUTURE PATIENTS WHO, EVEN AFTER THE SEMINARS, ARE BOUND FOR UNCHARTED CERTAINTY. I AM VERY PLEASED AT THE OUTCOME OF MY PROCEDURE AND WOULD JUST LIKE TO WISH DR.A, AND HIS STAFF, AND MYSELF AS WELL, CONTINUED SUCCESS ! G.FERRARO
in Commack, NY |
My entire journey with Dr. Ahmad and has team has been very comfortable and supportive. The physicians/surgeons are up to date with the latest in bariatric surgery (and are pioneers in some procedures as well) and provide you with a sense of well being regarding the process and well being. I can't say enough about the kindness and expertise provided to me by the nursing staff on the Step Down Bariatric Unit. I never thought I'd say this about surgery, but it was a great experience! Thank you!
There is no one that I would trust more. Dr. Ahmad and his staff are extremely dedicated to every person's success. I truly believe his practice is the best in the area.
Huntington Station, NY |
Very professional office. Transition from Pre-op to surgery to Post operative care smooth and efficient. Coordination of services excellent. Highly recommend!
in Ronkonkoma, NY |
I have already recommended people to Dr. Ahmad. I definitely had a good experience before and after surgery and everyone that took care of me was absolutely outstanding!! And I can't thank you all enough! I really only have severe pain for a few days so that was good! I really can't complain about a thing! Thank you so very much for making my experience so smooth and for being so compassionate!!!
in NY |
Every aspect of this surgery was handled with excellence from Dr Ahmad office. As tough as this surgery is I am so thankful I went through Dr Ahmad office
Middle Island |
I have recommended Dr Ahmad to friends who have been very happy with his practice. His staff of professionals help you through every step of the way.
in Port Jefferson, NY |
From the very beginning of the process and throughout everyone has been professional, compassionate, kind and so helpful and knowledgeable. Any question asked was answered and then some. The recovery team is wonderful too! The whole staff is wonderful!
in West Babylon, NY |
I just want to say Dr. Ahmad and his team made this journey, not only stress free, but so smooth. For a woman who had four c- sections, the gastric sleeve was painless. Recovery was quick, and able to go back to work with light duty within a week. I am over the moon, with the results. I am a work of art , and every day I am just getting better. Truly amazing team. You will not be disappointed.
in Coram, ny |
Dr Ahmad and his entire staff are very professional. Everyone in the office is kind and friendly. Very knowledgeable. Would recommend highly.
Medford, NY |
Dr. Ahmad and his staff made my decision to do the bypass surgery simple by making it safe for me. All the testing they put you through to make sure that surgery is safe made my decision easier. His staff is wonderful and available for any questions we my have at anytime.
in Centereach, NY |
From the seminars to the office staff to Dr. Ahmad himself you will be educated thoroughly and feel confident in whatever choice you make. I was unsure initially if this procedure was right for me however after one seminar, reading the literature and then speaking with Dr. Ahmad and his associates I had no doubt whatsoever. I can not thank the Bariatric Center of Excellence and Mather Hospital enough.
The appointment was scheduled at the wrong office. So I wasted time way from work. Second appointment three weeks later, I spend 90 minutes and paperwork and speaking with an associate that my insurance would approve the surgery And the plan for the next six months. When the doctor came in within two minutes with and rude attitude told me that he's not on a panel with my insurance. I heard wonderful things about this practice and I was extremely disappointed
in Bellport NY |
Very attentive and great Dr. His whole team of Dr's were also excellent. He explained everything in detail to me about procedure. Have been loosing weight every day and hope to reach my goal in the coming months. Also nurses in Mather hospital were so nice to me especially Elizabeth Taylor, Dina,Rosa, and Joann.
in Patchogue, NY |
Through the process of getting the sleeve gastrectomy, Dr. Ahmad and his team are second to none. It is very rare for a doctor of his caliber to have such wonderful bedside manner. Not only is this true of Dr. Ahmad, but of the other doctors as well. They truly care for your health and well-being. Dr. Ahmad's office is also run in a very organized manor and his thorough communication with his patients allows a level of comfort and assurance knowing that your life is in good hands.
East Meadow, NY |
Very caring people. Everything went well Excellent service :)
Holtsville, NY |
Outstanding team of doctors and supporting staff! Dr. Ahmad is not only one of the most talented surgeons I've met, but he takes genuine pleasure in helping people. His warm smile and care make you instantly at ease.
in Rocky Point, New York |
From the informational seminar through surgery Dr. Ahmad and his entire staff has been wonderful. The Staff in his office are all so nice and informative. The surgery was went as I was told and his staff at the hospital before and after surgery were very informative and answered all questions. I would suggest Dr Ahmad to everyone needing information and/or surgery
in Syosset , NY |
As I write this I get very emotional w happy tears for my daughter. I am so happy we found this practice and all the wonderful doctors there. They took her hand and joined us on this journey. After we left another doctors office that had no bedside manner and no idea how to work w teenagers. Dr. Ahmad & his wife are wonderful. Her surgery was November 9, she has lost over another 30 lbs since her surgery. Dr. Aurellano visited her in the hospital, he is always so upbeat.Office staff is awesome
in Bellport ny |
He has the most excellent bed side Manor he made me feel so comfortable and we'll informed
The best at what he does for sure. Very kind, caring and compassionate. You can tell he loves what he does and truly cares about your success and changing your life. His staff, office, nutrition, psych, nursing, hospital, assistants are all amazing as well.
in port jefferson, NY |
Very well organized and caring dr and staff. Compassionate Very personable. I didn't feel like i was in a mill. Dr Ahmad really does care about his patients. Excellent memory and enjoys his work.
in Islandia, NY |
Always has his patient's best interests front and center. Great staff and nutritional support. Awesome Team at Mather Hospital.
in bellport ny |
The best doctor I know
in Selden, NY |
Doctor Ahmad's entire Staff and Program cannot be reviewed Too Highly, in my opinion. I not only Thank them for this Life changing Surgery (Sleeve Method) but for the caution and expertise with which "We" made the choice of Surgical Technique and the excellent follow up care required to ensure my continued safety Post Surgery. I presented with a BMI well over 70 and had all three comorbidities use to qualify patients for Bariatric Surgery. I can't express how "Cared for" and watched over I feel.
in Port Jefferson Station, NY |
Dr. Ahmad and his staff were wonderful my entire journey for my VSG.
in West islip |
Dr. Ahmad performed my surgery last spring. He is capable and caring. His nursing staff and the other physicians are also competent professionals. However, his office staff is vile, especially the billing manager Angie. She berates and embarrasses patients over the phone (for all to hear) and also in person. She's probably one of the most disgusting human beings I've ever encountered. Also, if you have an appointment, be prepared to make a day of it. It's always a two hour or longer event.
in Massapequa Park, NY |
I found Dr Ahmad to be an extremely caring and patient doctor. He answered all my questions over and over again, and did a lot of hand holding. His team of doctors , Nutrionists and staff have been a very positive experience. I would recommend anyone taking this journey to take it with Dr. Ahmad and his team.
in Southold, NY |
I would highly recommend Dr. Ahmad. His associates, staff, the nurses at the hospital were absolutely amazing. I was very well taken care of!!!!
in Sayville, NY |
This doctor seems nice when you first meet him....but he is not. I have a complicated medical history, and he wanted to use a blood thinner I was not comfortable with because I'm at a extra risk for a stroke. He ignored my request, but more importantly he was EXTREMELY rude to my wife an I when we just wanted to have a conversation with him about our concerns. TERRIBLE experience. This is more than just bad bedside manner. He's not a nice man.
in Selden, NY |
A very positive experience! Dr. Ahmad and his entire team show knowledge, professionalism, compassion and caring from the first seminar all the way through the entire process. You are not alone in your journey and even after surgery you know there are support groups and nutritionists to make sure you are successful. I would recommend this team to everyone.
in Suffolk |
My experience with Dr. Ahmad and his staff has been very positive. The office runs very smoothly and the varying departments all work collaboratively to ensure the patient is receiving comprehensive care. My surgical procedure was a success and my recovery continues to be successful. I can't say enough about my hospital stay. I was visited by many of the staff and the nurses were amazing. I would highly recommend Dr. Ahmad and his staff.
in Ronkonkoma, NY |
Dr Ahmad, his Team of Doctors and support staff are the most caring, courteous, knowledgeable and professional group i have ever trusted my care to. The support staff are all very competent, caring and genuinely concerned for each patients success. The Dr.'s made me feel very reassured with their recommendations for my care.
in Holbrook, NY |
It's been two and a half weeks since the surgery and have nothing but good things to say about the surgery. No pain and great results. Very professional staff at the office at hospital . Thank you to all.
in Centereach, NY |
My experience with Dr. Ahmad was positive and wonderful! I have researched and saw many other surgeons. Dr. Ahmad is incredibly knowledgeable as well as compassionate. He takes the time to thoroughly explain the process to you as well as answer any questions or concerns you may have. The staff are also incredible.
in Miller Place, NY |
Dr. Ahmad performed a Gastric Bypass on me several years ago. He and all of his staff perfomed outstanding medical care on me and I highly reccommend him to anyone contemplating bariatric surgery.
Port Jefferson, NY |
very shady practice. just after the money and they work like an assembly line. in one door and make all these promises that aren't true.
Have you seen Dr. Arif Ahmad, MD?
Are you Dr. Ahmad?