Dr. Ariel N. Rad, MD

Dr. Ariel N. Rad, MD

Plastic Surgery | Male | 44 years old

Dr. Ariel Rad is a board certified plastic surgeon and Assistant Clinical Professor at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Dr. Rad performs complex microsurgical breast reconstruction and breast augmentation with tissue, as well as advanced cosmetic surgery. With his wife, Dr. Noelle Sherber, one of Washington's premier dermatologists, Dr. Rad offers patients the full spectrum of anti-aging treatments from laser to surgical lifts. Dr. Rad was also a world-ranked professional ballroom dancer featured in the hit ABC show "Hopkins 24/7".Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Rad received his mechanical engineering degree magna cum laude and minor in computational mathematics from Princeton University where he...Read more

Dr. Rad's Experience

See how Dr. Rad's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Rad

Dr. Rad accepts 2 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 4 hospitals where Dr. Rad has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

×

Dr. Rad's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Rad to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Rad
Dr. Rad's Office & Staff
    Under 10 minutes (58)
Dr. Rad Says:

I am humbled and privileged to care for each of my patients, and to bring life changing improvements to their bodies and to their lives.

in Ashburn, VA |
After a breast cancer diagnosis I wasn't sure what to do and after a recommendation from my breast surgeon Dr. Rad has been with me each step of the way. He was very thorough in his explanations of what to expect and each surgery has gone extremely well. Dr. Rad takes his time and listens. His office staff is very friendly and welcoming. Thank you.
in Fairfax, VA |
I became a patient of Dr. Rad because I had gynecomastia that I wanted removed. The results were amazing! Dr. Rad made me feel comfortable throughout the entire process. From my first consultation with him, I knew that I was with an absolute professional. He took his time in explaining exactly what my condition was, how he would remove it, and what I should expect post-surgery. I felt totally at ease even as I was walking into the operating room. I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Rad!
in Washington, DC |
My goal was to be a refreshed, happy, more confident version of "me." As I prepared for surgery I had no unanswered questions and was totally confident about Dr. Rad's skill and judgement. Interactions with Dr. Rad and his team at the time of surgery and follow up were efficient, expert, and delivered with compassion and kindness. I recommend him without qualification.
in Springfield, VA |
Dr. Rad is simply the best! I had a bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction surgery. Dr. Rad sat down with me for over an hour explaining the reconstruction procedure (with silicon implants), what to expect, etc. Dr. Rad's expertise is unsurpassed! Dr. Rad is an exemplary surgeon. He has a wonderful bedside manner and made me feel more at ease during this difficult time in my life. I highly recommend Dr. Rad!!! I am very happy with my results. He deserves more than five stars!
Washington, DC |
Dr. Rad is an extraordinary surgeon. He is talented, compassionate and dedicated to his patients.
I so appreciate your words, as the qualities of compassion and dedication are so important to patient care. Thank you for sharing your review. All my best, Dr. Rad
in LaPlata. MD |
Back to Dr. Rad-After having facial surgery with Dr. Rad in 2012, I turned back to him when I had to make the difficult decision to have bi-lateral mastectomies. He carefully explained implant types, expectations, healing time, etc. When I woke up from surgery, he was there holding my hand. Seriously! My new breasts look natural, feel real, and he even gave me ‘nipples’. He is an incredibly kind, compassionate and gifted surgeon. And I have to admit, they actually look better than the originals.
in Washington, DC |
I recently underwent surgery with Dr. Rad and could not have had a more exceptional experience. Dr. Rad takes the time to thoroughly explain his approach and answer any and all questions. He made myself and my family feel at ease throughout the experience and provided top level patient care. His eye for detail and aesthetic is amazing and I could not be happier with the results. I feel like the best version of myself thanks to Dr. Rad and would highly recommend him.
in Mc Lean, VA |
Dr. Rad is the ultimate reconstructive surgery doctor. He takes ample time to explain and advise. His advice is truthful. He's patient and compassionate toward his clients . His practice is the most elegant and sophisticated I've ever experienced from Paris to New York to Los Angeles. My experience was very pleasant and I felt safe and was cared for with respect and kindness. Without any doubt he's the best reconstructive and plastic surgeon I've met anywhere
in Westport, CT |
After living with a painful and problematic breast reconstruction for fifteen years, I consulted with Dr. Rad and decided to undergo diep flap surgery. The results have far exceeded my expectations and I feel like myself again. Dr. Rad is not only a skilled and talented surgeon but a kind and compassionate doctor, who treats the whole person. For me, he exemplifies medical excellence. I would highly recommend Dr. Rad to family and friends.
in Great Falls VA |
Dr. Rad is an excellent physician who deeply cares about his patients. He holds himself to the highest standards when it comes to his patients and practice. You can expect not only top-of-the-line treatments, but also a passionate staff to guide you through every step of the process. I would recommend Dr. Rad without the slightest reservation to whomever needs a very qualified and very experienced plastic surgeon.
Oakton |
Dr Rad performed my tissue expander-to-implant reconstruction after my bilateral mastectomies. He was kind, confident, and passionate about his work. During my appointments, I felt like I was the most important patient in his practice, and I noticed that others in the waiting room felt the same way. He was easy to reach any time I had a question or concern. I felt I had a real champion for my care in Dr. Rad -- such a gift during that experience.
in Oakton, Va |
Dr Rad was the surgeon who completed my reconstruction after Breast Cancer. His surgical skills and bedside manner are outstanding and his compassion during a very difficult journey was much appreciated. I would have no hesitation in sending friends or family to Dr Rad, he is simply the best.
in Oakton, VA |
Dr. Rad was my plastic surgeon through multiple reconstructive breast surgeries. I can't speak highly enough about Dr. Rad and his staff. I always felt well cared for and received the highest quality of care. I am very pleased with the outcome of my surgeries and highly recommend him. Dr. Rad is kind, gifted and compassionate. It's obvious he really cares about his patients and strives for the best possible outcome.
in Stafford, VA |
At a time in your life when you feeling particularly vulnerable, You have just received the diagnosis of breast cancer, you are facing some life changing decisions and you need more than anything to place your trust in some doctors hands. Dr. Rad's hands turned out to be exactly the right place. From our first meeting he made me feel like he cared about me personally. He explained what he could do for me, how he could make me whole again after my mastectomy. Step by step he was there with me.
in Mc Lean, VA |
Dr. Rad is a great doctor himself and his work is great too. He did the reconstructive surgery after my mastectomy from breast cancer and he did an amazing job. My prosthesis look natural and scars have healed well. His staff are also very friendly and I have a great experience every time I visit his beautiful office in DC.
VA |
Dr. Rad helped me through a difficult reconstruction and helped me deal with how my life had been impacted. I'm thankful not only for his medical expertise but also for his compassion and empathy. He truly cares about his patients.
in Mc Lean, VA |
I chose Dr Rad for my abdominoplasty in March 2016. What a great decision! I had suffered abdominal separation during childbirth. I interviewed 5 of the top area surgeons and none examined me longer than 45 seconds. Then Dr Rad spent 45 MINUTES asking health questions, doing a detailed exam and explaining risks and side effects (something many surgeons avoid). I received incredibly thorough and thoughtful care (who calls their patients twice weekly post surgery?) and my results are amazing
in Washington, DC |
Had a facelift with Dr Rad. Not only did he do a magnificent job, but he was extraordinarily attentive and caring when I experienced an acute complication from surgery. He has an outstanding bedside manner. In his office, he never makes you feel rushed. Explains everything carefully. And is all around extremely kind and very talented. I have referred several people to him
in Nellysford, VA |
With Dr Rad, you're not just a number; he is completely committed to making every treatment perfect. He and his staff make you feel like you're the only patient in the world, it's really special and so unlike other surgeons I've been to. He is warm and utterly professional plus completely resourceful as to the exact right course of action for you. I have already recommended him to friends and will continue to do so. His reputation in the medical community is outstanding as well.
Washington, DC |
Dr. Rad is only concerned about one thing - money. He has very little regard for the welfare of his breast cancer patients. Steer clear of Dr. Rad.
in Fairfax |
I was highly impressed Dr. Rad's credentials and was blown away by the time he spent explaining what to expect with the liposuction procedure from beginning to end. He was able to answer all of my questions. During the day of my procedure, Dr. Rad checked on me before to make sure I was mentally and emotionally prepared. He displayed remarkable bedside manner that kept me calm. I am extremely happy with my results thus far! My confidence level is through the roof!
in Woodbridge, VA |
Dr. Rad and his team were invaluable to me & my family during a very stressful time when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Dr. Rad made me feel at ease and I knew I was in good hands with my reconstruction decision after my double mastectomy. His expert knowledge in the field of micro surgery was very impressive as he is one of the top surgeons in the area. He has given me back what cancer took from me. Kuddos to his wonderful staff for being kind and always answering my many calls.
in Reston, VA |
I was referred to Dr. Rad for Breast Reconstruction by my Breast Surgeon at INOVA. As I had just been diagnosed with breast cancer, I was overwhelmed with information and decisions to make. Dr. Rad made it easier. His staff very efficiently scheduled my consultation and sent me information on my options. I felt very well-prepared for my consultation. His offices are very state of the art and offer great patient privacy. The results of my breast reconstruction were amazing.
in Alexandria, VA |
Dr. Rad did my double mastectomy which was fine, apart from an incision that burst open. was very upset when he closed his Fairfax, Va., office w/o. notifying an established patient (me). I was told when, having made an appt., I called in search of his office, he sees patients in The District now. I felt abandoned. Another plastic surgeon is taking care of me now. Adios Ari.
Have you seen Dr. Ariel N. Rad, MD?

Compare Dr. Rad

Dr. Rad says...

Dr. Rad received his mechanical engineering degree magna cum laude and minor in computational mathematics from Princeton University where he was also co-captain of the Division I NCAA swim team. He completed medical school at Duke University. During his medical education, Dr. Rad was awarded two Howard Hughes Medical Institute fellowships to conduct research at the National Institutes of Health and then at Duke University.

After medical school Dr. Rad was awarded a three-year grant from the NIH to continue his research at the University of London where he completed a Ph.D. in immunology. While in London, Dr. Rad competed and performed internationally in professional Latin American dance.  Amongst tens of thousands of competitors worldwide, he was ranked in the top 38 in the world in 2002. In his aesthetic work, Dr. Rad draws on the principles of artistry that he refined through dance.

In 2003, Dr. Rad returned to the United States to enter the training program in plastic and reconstructive surgery at Johns Hopkins. Upon completion of his training in 2009, Dr. Rad joined the full-time plastic surgery faculty at Johns Hopkins as Assistant Professor and Director of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. While at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Rad and his colleagues pioneered the LSGAP "Love Handle" Flap, the most advanced and challenging microsurgical technique in breast cancer reconstruction (only 30 surgeons worldwide have the ability to perform this operation).  Dr. Rad presented his work in the 2009 World Microsurgery Congress in Helsinki, Finland, and his work has been featured in many international press releases and television news features.

Dr. Rad has published numerous articles and book chapters and he has been named to Who's Who in America for 2015. Dr. Rad contributes his expertise to print and television media and he is a featured medical expert for local news stations, covering a breadth of cutting edge topics in plastic surgery. Dr. Rad is an expert consultant to writers and editors at newspapers and magazines, from DC Modern Luxury and Capitol File, to the Washington Post to Vogue.

Following a 2.5 year period of architectural design and construction, Sherber Rad opened in July 2014.  Together Drs. Sherber and Rad care for many patients individually and together within a practice model that is centered on patients' privacy and uncompromising collaborative care.  Dr. Rad's exceptional technical abilities, paired with a nuanced artistic sense, are the tools through which he is able to achieve exceptional surgical results for his patients.  Dr. Rad focuses his work on facial aesthetic work and microvascular breast cancer reconstruction.

Dr. Rad is known for his skill in microsurgery and facial aesthetic surgery, his nuanced and artistic vision, and a caring manner.

Dr. Rad's Care Philosophy

Dr. Ariel Rad is a board certified plastic surgeon and Assistant Clinical Professor at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. Dr. Rad performs complex microsurgical breast reconstruction and breast augmentation with tissue, as well as advanced cosmetic surgery. With his wife, Dr. Noelle Sherber, one of Washington's premier dermatologists, Dr. Rad offers patients the full spectrum of anti-aging treatments from laser to surgical lifts. Dr. Rad was also a world-ranked professional ballroom dancer featured in the hit ABC show "Hopkins 24/7".

Dr. Rad says...

Dr. Rad is one of only 30 plastic surgeons who has skills in microvascular "free flap" (DIEP flap, Love Handle flap) surgery and the artistic nuance critical for achieving beautiful results. Only 1% of plastic surgeons are capable of microvascular surgery, but only 0.01% have this level of ability. Dr. Rad applies his techniques and skills to achieve outstanding aesthetic results for his patients.

Dr. Rad says...

Dr. Rad is one of only 30 surgeons worldwide capable of performing the most challenging microvascular surgery called the "Love Handle Flap."  With colleagues while at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Rad pioneered and published this technique, and he presented it at the World Microsurgery Congress in Helsinki, Finland in 2010. Dr. Rad is renowned for his artistic and surgical ability.

Dr. Rad says...

Dr. Rad's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Plastic Surgery
  •  Board certified in Plastic Surgery
  •  Malpractice claims in District of Columbia not available

Dr. Rad has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for District of Columbia.

Why It Matters: Dr. Rad's Board Certifications

• Plastic Surgery

• Capsular Contracture of Breast Implant
  • Gynecomastia
  • Moles (Benign Skin Lesions)
  • Skin Aging

• Other Education
    University College London

Completed in 2003

• French

Dr. Rad does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Rad and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Plastic Surgery

• Adjacent Tissue Transfer
  • Arm Reduction Surgery
  • Belt Lipectomy
  • Blepharoplasty
  • Body Contouring (After Weight Loss Surgery)
  • Botox® Injection
  • Breast Augmentation
  • Breast Lift Surgery
  • Breast Reconstruction
  • Breast Reduction
  • Breast Surgical Procedure
  • Brow Lift
  • Cosmetic Facial Surgery
  • Ear Plastic Surgery (Otoplasty)
  • Endoscopic Brow Lift
  • Mini Tummy Tuck
  • Neck Lift
  • Neck Liposuction
  • Nipple Reconstruction
  • Nose Plastic Surgery (Rhinoplasty)
  • Perforator Flap Breast Reconstruction
  • Plastic Cosmetic Surgery
  • Skin and Tissue Reduction
  • Wound Repair

You've got options

We're finding other great Providers for you to consider.