Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD

Diagnostic RadiologyMaleAge 41

Dr. Karamanian

F Lyone Hochman MD

6624 Fannin St Ste 2580 Houston, TX 77030

Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD is a Diagnostic Radiology Specialist in Houston, TX. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Karamanian to book an appointment.

Healthgrades Provider Compare™

Quickly compare more Diagnostic Radiology Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Low Wait Times
    Patients are usually seen in 10 minutes or less.
  • Trustworthy
    Patients said this doctor is trustworthy. See reviews

No malpractice claims found for Texas

Check if Dr. Karamanian treats your condition or procedure

Dr. Karamanian's conditions and procedures:

• Elevated PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen)
  • Enlarged Prostate (BPH)
  • Intraoperative MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
  • Laser Ablation
  • Prostate Biopsy
  • Prostate Cancer

Dr. Karamanian accepts

Dr. Karamanian accepts the following insurance:

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
Blue Advantage HMO

Dr. Karamanian's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Karamanian

Dr. Karamanian
I had the FLA procedure almost a year ago and the results have been good so far. Dr. Karamanian, his nurse Donnie and the office staff were all very considerate, responsive and helpful. If this treatment is right for you I would definitely recommend Dr. Karamanian.
Dec 05, 2020
The staff instilled confidence in the performance of my FLA. The whole procedure went very smoothly. My follow up MRIs have been clean. I'm very satisfied with the personal attention I received from Dr. K and everyone at the PLC.
Les Haas – Nov 26, 2020
Hello. My name is Stephen. I am 67 years old. I would like to tell the world about my overwhelming experience with Dr. Karamanian, the Prostate Laser Center, and his entire staff in Houston Tx. 2 years ago I was diagnosed a Gleason 6/7 prostate cancer. After being told by my Urologist in R.I. that I had only two choice for treatment ( removal, and radiation) I remembered a article I read that my uncle gave to me. It stated about a new laser to remove tumors in men with my disease. Dr. Karamanian stood out as the best in the field . ( as I read in letters from his peers) Dr. Karamanian called me back, and politely explained the procedure and the many questions I asked. I flew to Houston. had a MRI done so he and I could see more clearly the extent of my disease. He performed the surgery and successfully removed the cancer lesions. I flew back to R.I. the next day. After a couple of months I was clearly on my way to normalcy. I am prostate cancer free! Thanks to Dr. Karamanian
Stephen – Oct 31, 2020
Dr. K is a most attentive & responsive FLA doctor. He always called me back promptly. Dr. K’s assistant, Donnie S, was also great to have caring for me. Both replied thoroughly & articulately & took the time needed to fully address any questions or concerns. My perception of, and ultimately experience with, Dr. K and Mr. Sartin were very positive. Adjectives that come to mind are: real, genuine, caring, responsive, knowledgeable, skilled, intelligent, experienced, receptive, thorough. I had occasion to run into a couple of other men who had FLA performed by Dr. K. Both of them had nothing but positive things to say, including the most important, no residual or recurrent cancer as of the time I spoke with them. At 6 months, my PSA was 0.3 and my 3TMRI, reviewed by two radiologists, including Dr. K, both stated there was no residual or recurrent cancer. I am feeling blessed & pleased with the success to-date & would most certainly highly recommend Dr. K to anyone seeking FLA. God Bless
PCFLA – Aug 30, 2020
I had prostate laser for cancer and enlarged prostate. I'm now 6 months post and I am beyond happy with the whole process! Dr. Karamanian, Donnie, Alex, and Julianna, are the best!
Carl – Aug 13, 2020
After much research, I went to Dr. Karamanian for bph prostate laser ablation on May 5, 2020. I had median lobe bph that was protruding into my bladder and slowly causing damage to the bladder. My prostate was 77 cc prior to the procedure. The procedure went very smoothly without pain and Dr. Karamanian successfully ablated about half of my prostate while staying away from all important nerves. Three months later I am only getting up once per night to urinate (sometimes not at all) and my volume has dramatically increased. Everything is working properly. My quality of life has dramatically improved. Dr. Karamanian and his staff are tremendous and I would highly recommend them for prostate issues. He is truly a very caring, skilled and dedicated doctor and his nurse Donny went beyond the call of duty to help me with some catheter issues after the procedure. I would recommend changing to a standard smaller Foley catheter right after the procedure if at all possible.
Jim from Tyler, Texas – Aug 05, 2020
My urologist said I had only two options, both with significant possible side effects. Dr. Karamanian provided a third possibly, one with a short recovery time and minimal side effects. My 6 month follow up MRI finds no cancer. My PSA is .6.
Alan Fischer – Jul 23, 2020
FLA done August 2019. Very pleased with procedure and outcome. If you are a candidate for FLA you will not go wrong with Dr. Karamanian. Highly recommend.
K Botts – Jun 07, 2020
I underwent prostate laser ablation for prostate cancer by Dr Karamanian on 6/10/19. I was very impressed with his initial evaluation of my case and his concern for me to make the best decision for myself. The pre procedure process, laser ablation procedure and post procedure care were all done with the patient their primary concern. The procedure was without significant pain or discomfort. As a Physician I am very impressed with the care and concern for his patients and the quality of his work. My follow up MR prostate study on1/9/20 showed no evidence of tumor. for low to intermediate prostate cancer Focal Laser Ablation should at least be considered with consultation with Dr Karamanian
Apr 11, 2020
Best of the Best. Dr. K is so very talented, focused, humble, and caring to the patient. Surgery was 4+ hours for both FLA and BPH. Nurse Donnie took such very good care of me before, during, and after the surgery. Dr. K. explained all details of the surgery during the Post Op meeting using MRI imaging. Surgery was excellent in all ways. Three weeks after the surgery I can now truly feel confident that frequency of urination is on fast track to peak performance and ALL functions on track as well. Juliana coordinated all scheduling with ease and confidence. A wonderful team that really understands the patients' concerns. Could not give a higher rating to such a dedicated Dr. and his team.
Denison Luce – Mar 30, 2020
Flew in from Seattle early March 2020 for both FLA and BPH Laser Guided Surgery by Dr. Karamanian after he reviewed my 3T MRI detailed CD. Pre Op was very detailed in explaining exactly what he was going to do during the surgery. The Surgery was approximately 4 hours long and although I was technically awake: I don't remember too much. Nurse Donnie was taking such good care of me during the surgery under mild sedation. Post Op meeting was next day and although I was wearing a catheter which was somewhat uncomfortable for me; I knew that all was well after Dr. K. reviewed the entire surgery with me using MRI images of what was done. I was feeling more and more confident as he went through this process. It has now been three weeks Post Op. and I can truly say that I feel far better than before the surgery and know that I am on a Fast Track to PEAK performance again. I have full functions and the frequency of urination urge seems to be less and less each day.
Denison Luce – Mar 30, 2020
It's now 6 months after my FLA, I went for FLA because I had severe BPH problems with potential bladder deterioration and I was Gl4+3. I investigated FLA other FLA practitioners and decided on Dr.Karamanian after watching the last 3 years as his FLA practice and expertise developed. I am very glad I decided to have him perform FLA. So far results are excellent, my PSA prior to FLA was 10.3, 6 months after FLA is now at 0.6, my IPSS as far as BPH was at 25, now is 1, only because I need to pee once overnight. My average urine flow 3 months after FLA was 13.6 ml/sec, 4 months after was 13.6ml/sec, I have no urgency, frequency is normal, every 3-4 hrs. I have no ED, never had any issue in this department, I am fully continent. My most recent prostate 3TMRI as part of 6 months follow up, was carried out and reviewed independently by another radiologist who confirmed I have no residual cancer left, Dr.Karamania says the same. Thank you, Doctor and Nurse Donnie, you are a great team.
Andrew – Mar 25, 2020
Dr.K, nurse Donnie and Julianna are the simply the best. The ablation was ultra successful. I flew into Houston from Tennessee. The next day I had the pre opt. The following day the FLA. The next day day the post opt. Then the following day I flew home. I am cancer free. I have no incontinence.I have normal sexual function. I have my life. Thanks Dr. K and Nurse Donnie!!!
Bob Bingham in Kingsport, TN – Mar 02, 2020
Dr. K ended up being the answer to my prayers and all my confusion. I had done about 6 months of research on alternatives to surgery and radiation and FLA was the clear choice. However, where to get FLA was not as clear. There were so many questions like: How many FLA's have you done? How big of margins to you take? How do you avoid damaging nerves and rectum, etc.I  contacted what sounded like the big three in the FLA field;  Dr. Sperling,. Dr. Walser and Dr K. along with other hospitals that were doing clinical trials such as Chicago and Mayo.  Dr. K was the one that completed the big picture and answered all my questions. The thing that finalized the decision for me were the large margins he took to reduce recurrence rates while protecting the nerves.  I was also impressed with Dr. K's single minded focus and dedication; all he does is FLA and nothing else. It was clear from my experience, it was a personal mission vs trying to click through as many men as possible.
Pat M. – Feb 18, 2020
Allow me to say some good things about Dr. Karamanian and his team (Donnie, Juliana & Ashley). After watching my prostate cancer for several years, it came to the point of needing treatment and I chose FLA with Dr. K in Houston. My treatment was scheduled for Sept. 19, 2019. From the time of arrival, I was treated with care and concern. Every aspect of the treatment was explained in detail which put my wife and me at ease. The staff could not have been better. Even though I had 4 Gleason 7 tumors (3+4) with a PI-RADS of 5, Dr. K’s skill was amazing. We could not have been more pleased with the procedure and the results. My PSA going in was 16.9 and a blood test 3 months later on 12/19 found my PSA at 1.6. Follow up MRI/PSA is set for the end of March. So, FIVE STARS for Dr. K & Team.
  • Long wait times
M. Burk – Jan 23, 2020
I had MRI guided FLA (Focal Laser Ablation) of a benign prostate tumour and severe BPH treated exactly 4 weeks ago by Dr Karamanian. The results are spectacular at 4 weeks post surgery! BPH is gone, zero incontenence and zero erectile dysfunction. I feel great and there was zero pain during or after the op. This guy is a Laser Master of the highest kind and has super ethics where he genuinely cares. I can't recommend Dr Karamanian and his Senior nurse Donnie Sartin highly enough. 5 stars are more than justifed.
Toby from UK – Jan 14, 2020
My experience with Dr Karamanian and Prostate Laser Center was excellent. I would highly recommend their services to anyone experiencing prostate issues.
Mason – Jan 12, 2020
After being diagnosed with stage two prostate cancer (PSA # 9.7) I researched four treatment options, prostatectomy, radiation treatment, HIFU, and Focal Laser Ablation. Although my insurance, BCBS, only would cover the first two options, I chose Dr Karamanian to perform Focal Laser Ablation (FLA I found this to be the most preferable option as there were no undesirable side effects, no diapers or leakage, no ED, no pain or discomfort etc. If I have a reoccurrence, I will still have the four options mentioned above available – not so had I chose prostatectomy or radiation. The treatment itself was relatively easy with minor discomfort. The staff was outstanding and competent. My PSA number dropped to 1.09 and my MRI showed no concerns as of my six month post-procedure checkup. I owe Dr K and his staff (shout out to Donnie) the most sincere gratitude, they have saved my life and my quality of life. No question I would recommend this option and DR. K.
David B – Jan 01, 2020
Dr. Karamanian and his staff are wonderful. His FLA procedure was amazing for me. One year ago I traveled to Houston for ablation of my 3+4 prostate cancer lesion. My only local options were radical prostatectomy or brachytherapy. Both options often result in a host of urinary tract problems. Dr. Karamanian explained Focal Laser Ablation (FLA) with kindness, empathy and passion. Even better, one year after FLA, my cancer is 100% gone and my prior urinary issues are much better (during my FLA procedure, Dr. K also carefully ablated part of my enlarged prostate which was the cause of my prior non-cancer urinary issues). My quality of life is excellent and my local urologists are astonished at Dr. Karamanian’s work. If my cancer returns, I will be heading to Houston again without hesitation.
Richard – Dec 15, 2019
Diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma prostate cancer on 11-2-18. Gleason score 3+4-7. Had Focal Laser Ablation on April 2, 2019 performed by Dr. Ara Karamanian at Prostate Laser Center in Houston on April 2, 2019. Had 6 month follow up on November 1, 2019. PSA level was 0.29. MRI performed by Dr. Joseph Busch on this date revealed NO CANCER. Thank you Dr. Karamanian
Steve Buffalo – Nov 23, 2019

How was your experience with Dr. Karamanian?

Prostate cancer is challenging for a patient to face.  There are so many opinions and so many options.  I try to make it easier for my patients...Read more

I studied biomedical engineering before going to medical school in order to be able to effectively apply advanced technologies for my patients.

• Diagnostic Radiology