Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD

Diagnostic Radiology •  Male • Age 40

Dr. Karamanian

Prostate Laser Center

6624 Fannin St Houston, TX 77030

Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD is a Diagnostic Radiology Specialist in Houston, TX. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Karamanian to book an appointment.

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Diagnostic Radiology Specialists in your area

See similar Diagnostic Radiology Specialists in Houston

• Recent Reviews
    Reviews made in the last 30 days. See reviews
  • Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Low Wait Times
    Patients are usually seen in 10 minutes or less.

Dr. Karamanian accepts

Dr. Karamanian accepts the following insurance:

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
Blue Advantage HMO

No malpractice claims found for Texas

Check if Dr. Karamanian treats your condition or procedure

Dr. Karamanian's conditions and procedures:

• Acute Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)
  • Acute Venous Embolism Thrombosis
  • Cerebral Artery Thrombosis
  • Elevated PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen)
  • Enlarged Prostate (BPH)
  • Intraoperative MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
  • Laser Ablation
  • Prostate Biopsy
  • Prostate Cancer
  • Thrombosis
  • Vascular Transcatheter Embolization

Help Improve Healthgrades

Does Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD...

Offer an online patient portal?

Communicate via email?

Have free onsite parking?

Offer weekend visits?

Offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

Dr. Karamanian's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Karamanian

Dr. Karamanian?
My urologist said I had only two options, both with significant possible side effects. Dr. Karamanian provided a third possibly, one with a short recovery time and minimal side effects. My 6 month follow up MRI finds no cancer. My PSA is .6.
Alan Fischer – Jul 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
FLA done August 2019. Very pleased with procedure and outcome. If you are a candidate for FLA you will not go wrong with Dr. Karamanian. Highly recommend.
K Botts – Jun 07, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
I underwent prostate laser ablation for prostate cancer by Dr Karamanian on 6/10/19. I was very impressed with his initial evaluation of my case and his concern for me to make the best decision for myself. The pre procedure process, laser ablation procedure and post procedure care were all done with the patient their primary concern. The procedure was without significant pain or discomfort. As a Physician I am very impressed with the care and concern for his patients and the quality of his work. My follow up MR prostate study on1/9/20 showed no evidence of tumor. for low to intermediate prostate cancer Focal Laser Ablation should at least be considered with consultation with Dr Karamanian
Apr 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
Best of the Best. Dr. K is so very talented, focused, humble, and caring to the patient. Surgery was 4+ hours for both FLA and BPH. Nurse Donnie took such very good care of me before, during, and after the surgery. Dr. K. explained all details of the surgery during the Post Op meeting using MRI imaging. Surgery was excellent in all ways. Three weeks after the surgery I can now truly feel confident that frequency of urination is on fast track to peak performance and ALL functions on track as well. Juliana coordinated all scheduling with ease and confidence. A wonderful team that really understands the patients' concerns. Could not give a higher rating to such a dedicated Dr. and his team.
Denison Luce – Mar 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
Flew in from Seattle early March 2020 for both FLA and BPH Laser Guided Surgery by Dr. Karamanian after he reviewed my 3T MRI detailed CD. Pre Op was very detailed in explaining exactly what he was going to do during the surgery. The Surgery was approximately 4 hours long and although I was technically awake: I don't remember too much. Nurse Donnie was taking such good care of me during the surgery under mild sedation. Post Op meeting was next day and although I was wearing a catheter which was somewhat uncomfortable for me; I knew that all was well after Dr. K. reviewed the entire surgery with me using MRI images of what was done. I was feeling more and more confident as he went through this process. It has now been three weeks Post Op. and I can truly say that I feel far better than before the surgery and know that I am on a Fast Track to PEAK performance again. I have full functions and the frequency of urination urge seems to be less and less each day.
Denison Luce – Mar 30, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
It's now 6 months after my FLA, I went for FLA because I had severe BPH problems with potential bladder deterioration and I was Gl4+3. I investigated FLA other FLA practitioners and decided on Dr.Karamanian after watching the last 3 years as his FLA practice and expertise developed. I am very glad I decided to have him perform FLA. So far results are excellent, my PSA prior to FLA was 10.3, 6 months after FLA is now at 0.6, my IPSS as far as BPH was at 25, now is 1, only because I need to pee once overnight. My average urine flow 3 months after FLA was 13.6 ml/sec, 4 months after was 13.6ml/sec, I have no urgency, frequency is normal, every 3-4 hrs. I have no ED, never had any issue in this department, I am fully continent. My most recent prostate 3TMRI as part of 6 months follow up, was carried out and reviewed independently by another radiologist who confirmed I have no residual cancer left, Dr.Karamania says the same. Thank you, Doctor and Nurse Donnie, you are a great team.
Andrew – Mar 25, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
Dr.K, nurse Donnie and Julianna are the simply the best. The ablation was ultra successful. I flew into Houston from Tennessee. The next day I had the pre opt. The following day the FLA. The next day day the post opt. Then the following day I flew home. I am cancer free. I have no incontinence.I have normal sexual function. I have my life. Thanks Dr. K and Nurse Donnie!!!
Bob Bingham in Kingsport, TN – Mar 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
Dr. K ended up being the answer to my prayers and all my confusion. I had done about 6 months of research on alternatives to surgery and radiation and FLA was the clear choice. However, where to get FLA was not as clear. There were so many questions like: How many FLA's have you done? How big of margins to you take? How do you avoid damaging nerves and rectum, etc.I  contacted what sounded like the big three in the FLA field;  Dr. Sperling,. Dr. Walser and Dr K. along with other hospitals that were doing clinical trials such as Chicago and Mayo.  Dr. K was the one that completed the big picture and answered all my questions. The thing that finalized the decision for me were the large margins he took to reduce recurrence rates while protecting the nerves.  I was also impressed with Dr. K's single minded focus and dedication; all he does is FLA and nothing else. It was clear from my experience, it was a personal mission vs trying to click through as many men as possible.
Pat M. – Feb 18, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
Allow me to say some good things about Dr. Karamanian and his team (Donnie, Juliana & Ashley). After watching my prostate cancer for several years, it came to the point of needing treatment and I chose FLA with Dr. K in Houston. My treatment was scheduled for Sept. 19, 2019. From the time of arrival, I was treated with care and concern. Every aspect of the treatment was explained in detail which put my wife and me at ease. The staff could not have been better. Even though I had 4 Gleason 7 tumors (3+4) with a PI-RADS of 5, Dr. K’s skill was amazing. We could not have been more pleased with the procedure and the results. My PSA going in was 16.9 and a blood test 3 months later on 12/19 found my PSA at 1.6. Follow up MRI/PSA is set for the end of March. So, FIVE STARS for Dr. K & Team.
M. Burk – Jan 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
I had MRI guided FLA (Focal Laser Ablation) of a benign prostate tumour and severe BPH treated exactly 4 weeks ago by Dr Karamanian. The results are spectacular at 4 weeks post surgery! BPH is gone, zero incontenence and zero erectile dysfunction. I feel great and there was zero pain during or after the op. This guy is a Laser Master of the highest kind and has super ethics where he genuinely cares. I can't recommend Dr Karamanian and his Senior nurse Donnie Sartin highly enough. 5 stars are more than justifed.
Toby from UK – Jan 14, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
My experience with Dr Karamanian and Prostate Laser Center was excellent. I would highly recommend their services to anyone experiencing prostate issues.
Mason – Jan 12, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
After being diagnosed with stage two prostate cancer (PSA # 9.7) I researched four treatment options, prostatectomy, radiation treatment, HIFU, and Focal Laser Ablation. Although my insurance, BCBS, only would cover the first two options, I chose Dr Karamanian to perform Focal Laser Ablation (FLA I found this to be the most preferable option as there were no undesirable side effects, no diapers or leakage, no ED, no pain or discomfort etc. If I have a reoccurrence, I will still have the four options mentioned above available – not so had I chose prostatectomy or radiation. The treatment itself was relatively easy with minor discomfort. The staff was outstanding and competent. My PSA number dropped to 1.09 and my MRI showed no concerns as of my six month post-procedure checkup. I owe Dr K and his staff (shout out to Donnie) the most sincere gratitude, they have saved my life and my quality of life. No question I would recommend this option and DR. K.
David B – Jan 01, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
Dr. Karamanian and his staff are wonderful. His FLA procedure was amazing for me. One year ago I traveled to Houston for ablation of my 3+4 prostate cancer lesion. My only local options were radical prostatectomy or brachytherapy. Both options often result in a host of urinary tract problems. Dr. Karamanian explained Focal Laser Ablation (FLA) with kindness, empathy and passion. Even better, one year after FLA, my cancer is 100% gone and my prior urinary issues are much better (during my FLA procedure, Dr. K also carefully ablated part of my enlarged prostate which was the cause of my prior non-cancer urinary issues). My quality of life is excellent and my local urologists are astonished at Dr. Karamanian’s work. If my cancer returns, I will be heading to Houston again without hesitation.
Richard – Dec 15, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
Diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma prostate cancer on 11-2-18. Gleason score 3+4-7. Had Focal Laser Ablation on April 2, 2019 performed by Dr. Ara Karamanian at Prostate Laser Center in Houston on April 2, 2019. Had 6 month follow up on November 1, 2019. PSA level was 0.29. MRI performed by Dr. Joseph Busch on this date revealed NO CANCER. Thank you Dr. Karamanian
Steve Buffalo – Nov 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
The moment I met the doctor and his team at the pre-op appointment I knew I am in good hands. Both Dr. Karamanian and Nurse Donnie Sartin went into a great length to minimize any chance of infection and to maximize my comfort during and after the procedure. As a result I felt absolutely no pain during the procedure. The day after the procedure the doctor met me at his office and explained in detail what exactly had been done and why. It was clear to me that he takes great pride in his work, loves what he does and above all cares about his patients. I left his office with a feeling that I just acquired a new family member. It's been now two months since I had the FLA done in Houston and the results are truly amazing. Today I feel absolutely no discomfort, no urgency, good flow, and I can usually sleep through the night. I got my life back thanks to a great team of the Houston Prostate Laser Center. My special thanks to Dr. Ara Karamanian and Nurse Donnie Sartin.
Alex Usvitsky – Nov 17, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
Prostate Laser Center – Houston Texas Dr. Ara Karamanian Patient: Douglas Brazie Procedure date: 01/29/19 Assessment: 63-Year-old male with clinically significant, G3+4 right anterior midgland lesion, no evidence of ECE. G3+4 discovered on MRI guided Multi-parametric MRI performed by Dr. Joseph Busch. G3+3 was discovered in January 2018 by Dr. Richard Prior at the Urology center in Spartanburg SC. Documented process of my personal experience with Dr. Ara Karamanian Focal Laser Ablation process and my thoughts regarding the entire process. Medications: Prior to going to Houston, Dr. Karamanian’s office called in two prescriptions to our local pharmacy. I started taking a pill antibiotic the morning of 01/28/19 before leaving the house for our trip. I was given (10) of these pills one to be taken each morning until gone (Levaquin). The second pill was a muscle relaxer (Hyoscyamine) which I was to start taking the morning of the procedure 01/29/18 prior to going to the Laser Center a
Douglas Brazie – Nov 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
I had the FLA procedure on April 30th and my follow up MRI on Oct 24th. PSA went from 8.12 to 1.90 and the MRI is now clear. My experience with Dr. Karamanian and his nurse Donnie was outstanding. They all care about you and will talk to you just about any time you call. I highly recommend!
Jack Stovall – Oct 31, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
The care I received from Dr. Karamanian and his staff (especially Donnie Sartin) was outstanding. The time he took for questions and answers made us feel very comfortable at a stressful time. I would not hesitate to say to anyone hop an airplane and get to Dr. Karamanian in Houston.
Milton S – Oct 25, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
I flew into Houston about 7 weeks ago from my home in Thailand. I wanted to try focused laser ablation to remove cancer in my prostate gland. I met his office staff, and they were kind and professional. I underwent MRI imaging, and it was determined by Dr. Karamanian I was to become one of his patients to undergo laser treatment. He explained fully what the procedure would entail and answered all my questions, which were quite a few. He did the laser treatment under MRI and removed the cancer. I stayed another 10 days in Houston and then flew back to Thailand for final recovery. In my case, there was more bleeding than normal, and I ended up wearing a catheter for practically 5 weeks total. I called Dr. Karamanian several times from Thailand and he always eased my mind with his wide knowledge and advice. I am in full recovery now, and urinate well. To me, Dr Karamanian is much more than just a doctor, he is like a trusted friend that will always be there when you need him.
Gregory Clark – Oct 23, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?
After a very complete in person consultation, I selected Dr. Ara Karamanian at the Prostate Laser Center in Houston to preform the FLA procedure. Both Dr. Karamanian and Nurse Donnie Sartin spent a lengthy time explaining in detail the preparations, the actual procedure and the post procedure evaluation. The procedure was not painful, but afterward I did have bladder spasms due to the catheter. When the catheter was removed the day after the procedure, these stopped.I appreciate Nurse Donnie helping me through the preparation, the procedure, the post procedure and explaining final dismissal instructions. Since the procedure (three weeks) I have had no side effects issues. Donnie did an excellent job during each phase of the treatment. After the post procedure consultation of the MRI/FLA results I believe Dr. Karamanian demonstrated exceptional skill at balancing the tumor and margins ablation while minimizing damage to other critical structures around the prostate. Dr. Karamanian s
Oct 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Ara Karamanian, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Karamanian?

Prostate cancer is challenging for a patient to face.  There are so many opinions and so many options.  I try to make it easier for my patients local and out of state.  I provide a secure and easy upload portal for their MRI, to avoid ...Read more

• Diagnostic Radiology

University Of Texas Medical Branch Interventional Radiology Fellowship

Common Questions and Answers

• Does Dr. Karamanian communicate via email?

No users have indicated that Dr. Karamanian communicates via email

• Does Dr. Karamanian offer telehealth services or virtual visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Karamanian offers telehealth services or virtual visits

• Does Dr. Karamanian offer an online patient portal?

No users have indicated that Dr. Karamanian offers an online patient portal

• Does Dr. Karamanian have free onsite parking?

No users have indicated that Dr. Karamanian has free onsite parking

• Does Dr. Karamanian offer weekend visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Karamanian offers weekend visits

• Does Dr. Karamanian offer evening visits?

No users have indicated that Dr. Karamanian offers evening visits