Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD

Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine SurgeryMaleAge 41

Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD is a Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery Specialist in San Antonio, TX and has over 13 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Howard University medical school in 2008. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Hospital - Medical Center and Memorial Hermann Northwest Hospital. He is accepting new patients. Be sure to call ahead with Dr. Owusu to book an appointment.

Dr. Owusu

E. Wayne Simmons D.m.d. Prosthodontist PC

2020 Babcock Rd Ste 24 San Antonio, TX 78229

Compare Providers

Quickly compare more Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery Specialists in your area

• Explains Conditions Well
    Patients said this doctor explains conditions well. See reviews
  • Practices at Top Hospital
    Patient Safety Excellence Award™ See hospitals
  • Quiet Hospital
    Patients said the hospital this doctor practices at is quiet. See hospitals

No malpractice claims found for Texas

Check Dr. Owusu's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Owusu's Top Procedures and Conditions

Low Back Pain

Dr. Owusu treats Low Back Pain more than 92% of his peers

Dr. Owusu treats this condition more than 92% of his peers

Back Pain

Dr. Owusu treats Back Pain more than 92% of his peers

Dr. Owusu treats this condition more than 92% of his peers

Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement)
high

Dr. Owusu treats Radiculopathy (Not Due to Disc Displacement) more than 90% of his peers

Dr. Owusu treats this condition more than 90% of his peers

Rating Includes other areas of care:

• Brachial Neuritis
  • Polyneuritis
  • Radiculitis
  • Ulnar Neuritis
  • Vestibular Neuritis
Hide other areas of care

Dr. Owusu's conditions and procedures:

• Back Impairment
  • Back Injuries
  • Back Sprain
  • Back Strain
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cervical Herniated Disc
  • Herniated Disc Procedure
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Laminoforaminotomy
  • Spine Fracture Treatment
  • Spondylosis
  • Thoracic Spine Fracture

Dr. Owusu accepts

Dr. Owusu accepts the following insurance:

Advantage

Dr. Owusu's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Owusu

4.3

Dr. Owusu?
  • Explained conditions well (34)
  • Appointment wasn't rushed (33)
  • Listened & answered questions (33)
  • Difficult to schedule appointment (9)
  • Staff wasn't friendly (9)
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions (8)
Never saw the doctor till the day of the surgery at the last minute he pop into the surgi center , don't know if that's normal. He has a revolving door of staff, was never explained all my treatment options , keeps pushing for epidural injections even though everything I read from the FDA says it off label and only generates revenue for those who hawk it. My work sent me to him because I was injured at work. This is nothing but insurance running the show.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Long wait times
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Jan 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
I am a 65 year man who has lived with extreme lower back pain for over 30 years. I finally I decided it was too much and went to Dr. Anthony Owusu. He evaluated me found that I really needed a lower back spinal fusion. On August 13, 2020 I received my operation. At first I was wondering what did I get myself into because I had 2 weeks hard pain. Then the pain started to subside very quickly, then in a month my lower back pain practically disappeared. I am therapy and I can honestly say I have never felt this good in over 30 years . I know now I should have done this operation sooner, but I also do believe that the skilled hands of Dr. Owusu did make different as well. I also have upper neck damage that I will have him take care of in the near future. Thank you Dr. Owusu!
Roland Gonzales – Oct 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
Dr. Owusu provided a customized and comprehensive solution to address my chronic back and leg pain. He made me feel that my case was unique, and didn’t deliver a canned dialogue with a shotgun approach, as did the other doctors I had seen. Dr. Owusu removed all my hardware from a previous fusion, and then performed an inter body fusion at levels L-3 and L-4. I can attest to his skill, being my 8th spinal surgery, at 2 weeks post surgery I am substantially recovered and in very little surgery pain and no pre-op pain. I cannot thank Dr Owusu enough for providing the relief I had been seeking for 15 years. Scheduling was effortless as his staff (Jill) provided her personal contact for anything I needed. She was easy to reach and always either took, or promptly returned my call. I cannot give enough positive praise to them. Thank you for providing me with a high quality life again!
Robert Dugal – Aug 26, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
Dr Owusu is a very professional ortho spine surgeon. Very nice and listens attentively. I would definitely refer anyone to him. Sharon G
Sharon G – Aug 11, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
Didn't visit cancel every time right before my visit. Poor service they don't care about the patient wellbeing.
Jun 16, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
He is an excellent Orthopedic surgeon. Did a ACDF on my upper neck, and Laminectomy on my lower back
May 23, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
Dr. Owusu found my problem, got me into surgery and found an infectious disease doctor to continue treatment for on infection in my spine. He actually listened to what I had to say and was very respectful. Since my surgery I have no pain walking and can get back to my normal life. I would definitely recommend him to anyone needing a back surgeon.
May 03, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
The worst experience in my life. Scheduled him as a referral from my GP. Went in and seen a PA not the Dr. I don't make specialists appointments and pay the higher rates to see a physician assistant. Then Rachel his employee canceled my MRI I finally got BCBS TX to approve and should be no reason, I sat for 2 months waiting for a call from Dr or mri place for appointment. Got no where. They dropped the ball several times. Then 3 months later I get an email saying I owe $59.00? I paid my $60 copay. I had no other balances! Only went to office one time. Wow, really screwed up place. I called them so many times and never get called back. I was so nice to them, not to be treated like this. Big BS.
Apr 28, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
I had my 3rd appt yesterday and a 2-level total disc replacement from L4-S1 scheduled for Friday. This was the 3rd time I asked him for his surgical recommendations in writing and he got upset with me and began talking over me and accusing me of telling him which surgery to do. Dr. Owusu completely disregarded my symptoms of a failed fusion from prior surgery and was moving forward with an additional surgery without properly diagnosing me and taking care of the failed fusion. He lied to me and said my fusion had fully fused according to my MRI, yet I got a 2nd opinion and a CT scan is the correct imaging to determine if a fusion was a success. If you do choose to move forward with Dr Owusu please at the very least, get his surgical recommendations in writing and get a 2nd opinion. I am very glad I cancelled my upcoming surgery with him. There are better surgeons in the area that will do the correct surgery the 1st time.
Nicholas – Mar 04, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
If you need to have Orthopedic and Spine surgery, the last thing you should worry about is the doctor or surgeon performing this procedure. Dr. Owusu is patient, understanding, excellent with his hands and left little to no scarring at the entry point. He explains the procedure in detail and is available for questions. He is a traveling doctor and surgeon between San Antonio and Houston, so make your appointment ASAP. He truly cares about his patients and treats them like a person, a family member, not just another paycheck!
Eric – Dec 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
I had 3 discs that needed repair, and Dr. Owusu and his staff were wonderful. I had the surgery and the pain and numbness were gone immediately. I would highly recommend his services.
Laura – Nov 07, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
Went to Dr. Uwusu for neck surgery. In and out the next day. No pain! Excellent surgeon! Highly recommend!
A very satisfied patient – Oct 10, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
He was very professional, and told me exactly what I needed to have done. He preformed the surgery as needed, and I’m glad to say I’ve never been better!
David Cuellar – Sep 25, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
The results from my previous back surgery were not very satisfactory, but the results I received Dr. Owusu was amazing. I am expecting to be back and active as I progress with my therapy exercises. The world should be seeing great things in the future from this awesome surgeon.
Dyan Whatley in Hockley, TX – Aug 24, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
Dr. Owusu is a very good surgeon and was able to help my pain very quickly. I had surgery 5 days after meeting him for the very first time. The next morning I woke up with no pain. I am very glad I had the surgery and that he was recommended to me. I did have some issues with the office staff returning calls and scheduling. I think this need some attention. The Dr. is great but needs a strong office staff to support him.
  • Difficult to schedule appointment
  • Staff wasn't friendly
Pam Lopez in Houston Spring location, TX – Jun 27, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
I went to Dr. Owusu with 3 disc herniations, & left numbness and weakness. Dr. Owusu’s staff was efficient & friendly, Dr. Owusu was genuinely interested in my care, and was able to explain exactly what was to be done in terms that were easy to understand. 2 weeks later, I was on the table. The surgery itself was far easier a recover than I’d expected, the spine itself was like night & day & no pain there. The incision was, as expected, uncomfortable, but just for a few days. Now, 2 weeks post surgery, I’m building stamina, & I’m able to do daily tasks without pain, or my leg giving out. I consider my surgery 100% successful, & would *highly* recommend Dr. Owusu if you are in need of any spine care.
May 17, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
Excellent Physician, great interaction. He took the time to explain the procedure and answered all my questions. I trust him 100% and I know that I am in great hands.
Nov 09, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
I am writing this review today for a incredibly special surgeon that did amazing repair work on the vertebrae in my lower back after I was involved in an auto accident. At the time of the accident I was recovering from a recent lower spine surgery. Dr. Owusu was the perfect choice to actually have to go into my spine and clean up the mess as a result of the accident. Dr.Owusu is a very kind, caring doctor that listens, gives you his total attention during your visit and values you as a patient
Camilla Navarro in Fischer – Dec 15, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
What a wonderful thing to have a doctor who actually cares about my well-being and takes the time to explain his thinking. I had surgery in September and I'm already starting to get my life back! He’s a great doctor, when I think back to the days when I had gone through several doctors who have had impersonal treatments, or not having the time to fit me in, I am truly grateful for Dr Owusu. Not to leave out his great staff, specifically Brandon and Tony, you all deserve the 5 stars.
Ben in San Antonio, TX – Oct 19, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?
Had a 360 spinal fusion L3 - L5 on September 5th 2017 due to severe leg pain and lower back pain . First 2 - 1/2 weeks after surgery was very painful indeed but started feeling major improvement in my 3rd week . I chose him because he came highly recommended from a reputable and very busy work injury clinic / therapy center where I go 3 days a week and so far I am pleased with the outcome and would refer anyone to see him because his education and training and desire to get it right is key.
Lyndon Jackson Sr in Universal City TX – Oct 08, 2017
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Anthony Owusu, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Owusu?

Dr. Owusu is recognized by his peers and his patients not only by his skill in surgery but by his compassion and ever positive bed side manner. He has...Read more

Dr. Anthony Owusu, is a fellowship trained Orthopedic Spine Surgeon, specializing in Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery. His fellowship training was completed...Read more

• Minimally Invasive Orthopedic Spine Surgery