Dr. Andrew Star, MD

Practices Orthopedic Surgery

On a scale of 1 and 5 this provider is rated 4.5 after 160 reviews.
Author:
I had a left knee replacement by Dr. Star in 2007, that went very well, so when a right hip issue developed I knew I wanted Dr. Star to handle it. All pain gone in 10 days after surgery and I was walking well. The bonus this time was the wonderful treatment at the Lansdale Hospital Ortho & Spine Institute. My gratitude and thanks to all.
Author:
Extremely satisfied with my right total knee replacement. Now I am ready for my left total knee replacement would only have Dr. Starr perform the surgery
Author:
I was having discomfort in my right hip. Went to Rothman for a consultation with Dr. Star. He went over my x-ray with me and explained all options clearly, I chose to have the hip replaced. Dr. Star performed the surgery in the Lansdale Jefferson Orthopaedic section of the hospital. The surgery went well and within 3 weeks I was walking without a cane, back on my bicycle after 4 weeks. Dr. Star and his team at the Chalfont office and at Lansdale Jefferson were outstanding with the procedure itself, and also with communication and advice leading into the surgery and afterwards during recovery. I would highly recommend this team if you have an Orthopaedic issue that you need to deal with, they are outstanding.
Author:
I underwent a hip replacement in June 2018 and I have been pain free since. I was up walking within hours with a walker and went home the next day. I returned to full time employment 3 months later without restrictions and continue to be doing very well. My surgical experience went as well as expected. Dr Star’s nurse Suzanne is available for all concerns and returns calls within a reasonable time frame and is very helpful. In the office, his staff is very attentive and respectful although I do wish there was more communication with regard to updating patients with delays. I have personally waited to be seen from 15 minutes to over 2 hours. Dr Star is an orthopedic surgeon in high demand - he does a tremendous joint replacement. He is caring, warm, approachable, and friendly. He will take the time to listen and answer all questions. Reading other reviews, bottom line - everyone has an off day - but surgically, when it counts, you’re in great hands!
Author:
Great care. Wonderful doctor. Highly recommended.
Author:
I found Dr. Star to be abrasive and argumentative, and not willing to hear out my concerns. After a second opinion, I learned that some of the information he conveyed was incorrect. I was not impressed, and wouldn’t recommend him.
Dear Patient, We would love to talk with you directly to gather more detail. If interested, feel free to contact us at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Rothman Orthopaedics
Author:
Dr. Star replaced my left hip in May. He is an outstanding surgeon. He always took the time to listen to any concerns I might have. I was extremely fortunate and grateful to have been in Dr. Star's care. Simply the best! I have recommended him to both family and friends.
Author:
I recommend Dr. Star to all family members and friends. Dr. Star did bilateral knee replacements on my husband and we both were so satisfied with his surgery care and his entire staff and post-op therapy. Dr. Star is the best!
Author:
Dr. Star was very disrespectful when my mother saw him for her hip replacement consultation. It was very clear that he was not the surgeon I wanted operating on my mother based on his careless demeanor and lack of professionalism. He did not leave any time for our questions. We switched to BCOS and we were happy we did so. I would not recommend Dr. Star to anyone.
Dear Chris, We are surprised to hear of this feedback as it doesn't describe the usual experience with Dr. Star. We would love to talk with you directly to gather more detail. If interested, please contact us at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Rothman Institute
Author:
I was in chronic, intense hip pain for months & going to Rothman for care & PT. A surgical consult with Star was recommended. I was his last appointment of the day in March. He viewed old X-rays, had me walk three steps, shushed my questions while he made verbal notes into his recorder and told me to come back in few months as I did not qualify for a hip replacement with my condition. Another Dr. determined bone-on-bone! I now have a new hip, full function & no more pain! 1 star for Dr. Star.
Dear Deborah P., Firstly, we're glad to hear that you are no longer in pain and are fully functional. If interested in talking with us in more detail about your experience with us, please contact us at 267-339-3689. Sincerely, Rothman Institute
Author:
I highly recommend Dr. Star. He is an excellent surgeon.
Author:
Dr. Star replaced my right hip 5 years ago. I recovered quickly, and don't think about my hip at all. When I began to have pain in my left hip, I went straight to his office knowing it was bone on bone arthritis like my right hip. Had the surgery as soon as possble and recovered quickly, but had a few drawbacks this time, which are normal. I call him Dr Rock Star :).
Author:
He is a great surgeon and a very nice man. I give him 5 stars!
Author:
Grate surgery result, no pain in one knee after 2 month and some pain and swollen in second knee. I am over 70 and overweight. Had 2nd knee surgery 2months ago. Do not take any medications now, stop to use walkers 2 weeks after surgery, no cane at home 3 weeks after surgery. Walk outside daily .8ml, use cane on uphill and uneven surface. Very happy. Thank you grate Dr. A. Star for giving me my mobility back. Before surgery I could not walk more then 6ft and live with permanent pain. Emma Burd
Author:
Personable. Takes time to answer your questions. Superb results for me.
Author:
I had a total right hip replacement in January and my pain level went from 10 to 0. Mobility and ease of movement improved in a timely manner. Total right knee replacement in early May and pain level went from about 7 to 0. I'm pleased that with both of my experiences I did not need any pain meds following my discharge. I couldn't be happier with the result. Dr. Star is the best!!
Author:
he did a fanastic job with hip replacement
Author:
I could not imagine a better surgeon or a more caring and friendly man. I have already sung his praises and recommended him to many people. And he’s funny, too!
Author:
Total left hip replacement It’s our opinion that Dr Andrew Star reflects his name. Before, during, and after surgery his care was over the top. Very skilled and kind man. Thank you to Star and his team.
Author:
Overall positive experience with improvements in mobility each week.
Author:
A year and a half ago Dr Star replaced my left hip. The results have been great.. I left the hospital hours after the procedure. I was able to walk unassisted in the hospital gym almost immediately.. I decided to use a walker for a brief period just to be on the safe side. But when I went to rehab 5 days after the surgery, I walked in unassisted..The rehab people were amazed. Great credit to Dr Star. If you need a surgery like this stay in good shape, keep your weight down, and see Dr Star.
Author:
I am very happy with the results so far from my double knee replacement. I am still going to rehab 2 times a week and working on getting my quality of life back, which I did not have in over 10 years! Thank you Dr. Star and Leon!!!
Author:
He replaced my hip in 2004, used a large metal on metal device. To be brief he was phenomenal in every way, and 13 years later, after 6 tours in both Iraq and Afghanistan I am still going strong. I must say I am a little more than impressed with his surgical skills and choice of device. This guy changed my life...gave it back to me to be precise, and I woukd recommend him without reservation!
Author:
Dr. Star was very concerned and comforted me through the process. A man among men.
Author:
Both hips were replaced by Dr. Star and I have no arthritic pain at all now in the hips
Author:
I first saw Dr. Star after being horrified by the restrictions with the "old school" hip replacements - published in a pamphlet at a competitors office! He was a pioneer in the anterior approach. Dr. Star always laid out the options for the treatment of my hip and made it clear that I would tell him when it was time. My time came sooner than expected and his team worked with me to get me in asap. I had the procedure at Lansdale and the experience could not have been better. Out w/in 2 days.
Author:
The whole experience was Awesome!!
Author:
I appreciated Suzanne's timely return call. I was having pain in right hip with weakness and she assured me I could wait the several days to appointment
Author:
Dr. Star performed the Makro partial replacement of my left knee in mid-September, and at three months my recovery is about 90-95%. I am extremely pleased with the replacement, and the 3 1/2" incision is virtually invisible. He is a hard working professional, extremely competent and shows great empathy and concern for his patients. He is truly a remarkable surgeon.
Author:
I wanted to express my sincere thanks to Dr. Star and his entire staff for a totally positive and surprisingly close to painless procedure. I reported at 5:30 AM October 12th to Abington Hospital for a left hip replacement. I had surgery that morning and was home sitting on my sofa at 4:30 PM that afternoon. It was an incredible experience, since my pain level went from 7/8 down to 3/4 after surgery. Pre and post surgery information and follow up was professional and thorough. Total excellence!
Author:
Provided me with a comprehensive understanding of the THR surgery required due to advanced degeneration of the hip joint. He explained what was involved in performing minimally-invasive THR surgery as well as post-surgery recovery PT and self-care instruction. Discussed several lifestyle adjustments that would prolonged the lifetime of the prostethic hip joint.
Author:
No reason not to recommend, from what I learned and read and heard from others, he is one of the best, if not the best. He was my Dr's Dr. so, if he was good enough for him, he must have been good enough for me. The hip replacement went better that I expected, as far as my lack of pain and recovery, maybe it was me, and I don't doubt it. To ME, he was not as accessible for office visits as I would like. There were several appointments that I spoke or saw his Physician Assistant, and not him.
Author:
I recently had total hip replacement surgery. I found Dr. Star personable, unhurried and willing to explain thoroughly all options to me before I made a final decision. He is professional, caring and competent. I would not hesitate to recommend him to family and friends alike.
Author:
I was having trouble with one of my hips about 8 yrs. ago and a neighbor scanned the internet and came up with Dr. Star It was the best thing that could have happened. I went ahead with the hip replacement and was on my feet and walking miraculously fast. Due to my good results my husband then went ahead and had Dr. Star do bilateral knee replacement with the same speedy recovery. Two months ago I had a total knee replacement and with absolute confidence turned to Dr. Star. He's the BEST!
Author:
I had been to several doctors and even had a cortisone shot in my hip prior to seeing Dr. Star. He was recommended as best in the field of hip replacement surgery. I had the anterior surgery and home in less than 24 hours. I was up walking without a walker or cane in 4 days. I had no pain and was good as new in several weeks.
Author:
Dr. Star was a second opinion for a knee replacement that I was told was not an option for me. He did a partial replacement for me on July 11th and I have been back to work for five weeks now and feel fantastic. Dr. Star is confident in what he does and is an expert in his field. I would highly recommend him.
Author:
What he says will happen did. He said there will be less or no pain, increased mobility, 6-8 weeks recovery, all true. He is conservative as far as recommending doing the 2nd hip 3 months later and that advice proved to be sound.
Author:
Dr. Star is an exceptionally kind and skilled surgeon. He treated me with respect, answered my questions without dismissing them and spent the time with me that I needed. He worked with me to understand surgical alternatives and listened when it became apparent that surgery was my only choice! I understand the reasons for the many accolades for him as I mentioned his name to others considering a hip replacement. I would recommend Dr. Star to anyone.
Author:
Excellent Doctor that is very knowledgeable and cares about your well being. Explored alternative solutions prior to hip replacement due to my age of 58. The entire organization is very professional all the way though surgery and post surgery.
Author:
Dr. Star held informational lectures at my local hospital. He is friendly and professional. He is not one to pressure you to have surgery but gives you all the information you need. After PT, X-rays and an MRI I decided on the surgery. It went very well. There was good follow-up on-line for guidance and exercises.I could walk a mile within six weeks. After 8 weeks I can walk two miles and I walk more than 7000 steps a day. No problems with any of my usual activities. No pain.
Author:
My sister was Dr. Star's patient for an anterior THA a couple of years ago, and advised me that an anterior replacement was the only way to go, and highly recommended Dr. Star and the Abington Hospital surgical location. That was excellent advice. Dr. Star's leadership in the orthopaedic surgery profession, credentials, and experience are matched only by his ability to relate to the patient and his/her concerns, answering all questions and concerns.
Author:
After much research, I chose Dr. Star and am extremely happy with my total hip replacement. I would highly recommend Dr. Star and his entire team.
Author:
I would 100% recommend Dr. Andrew Star for hip surgery! He was fantastic!
Author:
Have been seeing him since 1998 dues to degenerating hips. He has always taken the time to explain everything I needed to know as I progressed towards surgery. he performed bilateral total hip replacements for me in 2001, and bilateral revision of the plastics spring 2016. He and his staff have been excellent throughout, I do not believe I could have gotten better care at any point.
Author:
I highly recommend Dr. Star to all my friends and associates. Dr. Star is very competent and exhibits a true passion for his work and helping others. I recently had total right hip replacement. Dr. Star took the time to answer all my questions and put me at ease before my surgery. After surgery, he visited my room to talk about how thing went during the operation. I was very impressed with Dr. Star's professionalism and expertise. I am very happy with my new hip and feel so much better.
Author:
Professional.....willing to give honest opinion. I felt very confident with him as my surgeon.
Author:
Dr. Star listens with a compassionate and caring heart. He informs you about the advantages of the surgery as well as the rehab following the surgery. Dr. Star listens patiently and responds with information in a gentle caring way.
Author:
Dr. Star is extremely professional, knowledgeable and willing to spend time with his patients to make sure all of their questions and concerns are addressed by him.
Author:
Dr Star failed to do the correct testing to diagnose the failure of my hip replacement. Toxic metal levels were immediately found when I went for a second opinion. Due to the delay in diagnosis, I had severe muscle necrosis found at revision surgery. I am now permanently disabled.
Author:
Dr.Star was pleasant,attentive,and answered all of my questions.