Dr. Andrew Star, MD

Dr. Andrew Star, MD

Orthopedic Surgery | Male

Dr. Andrew Star, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in Willow Grove, PA. He is 58 years old and has been practicing for 35 years. Dr. Star is affiliated with Abington Hospital—Jefferson Health and Abington-Lansdale Hospital—Jefferson Health.

Dr. Star's Experience

See how Dr. Star's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Star

Dr. Star accepts 1 insurance carrier

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Star has admitting privileges.

Dr. Star's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Star to family and friends
    Dr. Star's Performance
    Philadelphia, PA |
    Dr. Star was very concerned and comforted me through the process. A man among men.
    Philadelphia, PA |
    Both hips were replaced by Dr. Star and I have no arthritic pain at all now in the hips
    in Jenkintown, PA |
    I first saw Dr. Star after being horrified by the restrictions with the "old school" hip replacements - published in a pamphlet at a competitors office! He was a pioneer in the anterior approach. Dr. Star always laid out the options for the treatment of my hip and made it clear that I would tell him when it was time. My time came sooner than expected and his team worked with me to get me in asap. I had the procedure at Lansdale and the experience could not have been better. Out w/in 2 days.
    Philadelphia, PA |
    The whole experience was Awesome!!
    Philadelphia, PA |
    I appreciated Suzanne's timely return call. I was having pain in right hip with weakness and she assured me I could wait the several days to appointment
    in Springhouse, PA |
    Dr. Star performed the Makro partial replacement of my left knee in mid-September, and at three months my recovery is about 90-95%. I am extremely pleased with the replacement, and the 3 1/2" incision is virtually invisible. He is a hard working professional, extremely competent and shows great empathy and concern for his patients. He is truly a remarkable surgeon.
    in Upper Gwynedd, pa |
    I wanted to express my sincere thanks to Dr. Star and his entire staff for a totally positive and surprisingly close to painless procedure. I reported at 5:30 AM October 12th to Abington Hospital for a left hip replacement. I had surgery that morning and was home sitting on my sofa at 4:30 PM that afternoon. It was an incredible experience, since my pain level went from 7/8 down to 3/4 after surgery. Pre and post surgery information and follow up was professional and thorough. Total excellence!
    in huntingdon valley, pa |
    Provided me with a comprehensive understanding of the THR surgery required due to advanced degeneration of the hip joint. He explained what was involved in performing minimally-invasive THR surgery as well as post-surgery recovery PT and self-care instruction. Discussed several lifestyle adjustments that would prolonged the lifetime of the prostethic hip joint.
    in philadelphia, pa |
    No reason not to recommend, from what I learned and read and heard from others, he is one of the best, if not the best. He was my Dr's Dr. so, if he was good enough for him, he must have been good enough for me. The hip replacement went better that I expected, as far as my lack of pain and recovery, maybe it was me, and I don't doubt it. To ME, he was not as accessible for office visits as I would like. There were several appointments that I spoke or saw his Physician Assistant, and not him.
    in Merion, PA |
    I recently had total hip replacement surgery. I found Dr. Star personable, unhurried and willing to explain thoroughly all options to me before I made a final decision. He is professional, caring and competent. I would not hesitate to recommend him to family and friends alike.
    in Warrington, PA |
    I was having trouble with one of my hips about 8 yrs. ago and a neighbor scanned the internet and came up with Dr. Star It was the best thing that could have happened. I went ahead with the hip replacement and was on my feet and walking miraculously fast. Due to my good results my husband then went ahead and had Dr. Star do bilateral knee replacement with the same speedy recovery. Two months ago I had a total knee replacement and with absolute confidence turned to Dr. Star. He's the BEST!
    in Elkins Park, PA |
    I had been to several doctors and even had a cortisone shot in my hip prior to seeing Dr. Star. He was recommended as best in the field of hip replacement surgery. I had the anterior surgery and home in less than 24 hours. I was up walking without a walker or cane in 4 days. I had no pain and was good as new in several weeks.
    in Harleysville Pa |
    Dr. Star was a second opinion for a knee replacement that I was told was not an option for me. He did a partial replacement for me on July 11th and I have been back to work for five weeks now and feel fantastic. Dr. Star is confident in what he does and is an expert in his field. I would highly recommend him.
    Phoenixville, PA |
    What he says will happen did. He said there will be less or no pain, increased mobility, 6-8 weeks recovery, all true. He is conservative as far as recommending doing the 2nd hip 3 months later and that advice proved to be sound.
    in north wales, pa |
    Dr. Star is an exceptionally kind and skilled surgeon. He treated me with respect, answered my questions without dismissing them and spent the time with me that I needed. He worked with me to understand surgical alternatives and listened when it became apparent that surgery was my only choice! I understand the reasons for the many accolades for him as I mentioned his name to others considering a hip replacement. I would recommend Dr. Star to anyone.
    in ocean city, nj |
    Excellent Doctor that is very knowledgeable and cares about your well being. Explored alternative solutions prior to hip replacement due to my age of 58. The entire organization is very professional all the way though surgery and post surgery.
    in PA |
    Dr. Star held informational lectures at my local hospital. He is friendly and professional. He is not one to pressure you to have surgery but gives you all the information you need. After PT, X-rays and an MRI I decided on the surgery. It went very well. There was good follow-up on-line for guidance and exercises.I could walk a mile within six weeks. After 8 weeks I can walk two miles and I walk more than 7000 steps a day. No problems with any of my usual activities. No pain.
    in Medford, NJ |
    My sister was Dr. Star's patient for an anterior THA a couple of years ago, and advised me that an anterior replacement was the only way to go, and highly recommended Dr. Star and the Abington Hospital surgical location. That was excellent advice. Dr. Star's leadership in the orthopaedic surgery profession, credentials, and experience are matched only by his ability to relate to the patient and his/her concerns, answering all questions and concerns.
    in Quakertown PA area |
    After much research, I chose Dr. Star and am extremely happy with my total hip replacement. I would highly recommend Dr. Star and his entire team.
    Philadelphia, PA |
    I would 100% recommend Dr. Andrew Star for hip surgery! He was fantastic!
    in Elkins PArk, PA |
    Have been seeing him since 1998 dues to degenerating hips. He has always taken the time to explain everything I needed to know as I progressed towards surgery. he performed bilateral total hip replacements for me in 2001, and bilateral revision of the plastics spring 2016. He and his staff have been excellent throughout, I do not believe I could have gotten better care at any point.
    in Doylestown, Pa. |
    I highly recommend Dr. Star to all my friends and associates. Dr. Star is very competent and exhibits a true passion for his work and helping others. I recently had total right hip replacement. Dr. Star took the time to answer all my questions and put me at ease before my surgery. After surgery, he visited my room to talk about how thing went during the operation. I was very impressed with Dr. Star's professionalism and expertise. I am very happy with my new hip and feel so much better.
    in North Wales, PA |
    Professional.....willing to give honest opinion. I felt very confident with him as my surgeon.
    in Glenside, PA |
    Dr. Star listens with a compassionate and caring heart. He informs you about the advantages of the surgery as well as the rehab following the surgery. Dr. Star listens patiently and responds with information in a gentle caring way.
    in Willow Grove, PA |
    Dr. Star is extremely professional, knowledgeable and willing to spend time with his patients to make sure all of their questions and concerns are addressed by him.
    in Horsham, PA |
    Dr Star failed to do the correct testing to diagnose the failure of my hip replacement. Toxic metal levels were immediately found when I went for a second opinion. Due to the delay in diagnosis, I had severe muscle necrosis found at revision surgery. I am now permanently disabled.
    in Philadelphia, PA |
    Dr.Star was pleasant,attentive,and answered all of my questions.
    in Souderton Pa |
    I had left knee replacement in Mid November 2015 and right knee replacement on 25 Jan 2016. He is an outstanding surgeon and a nice guy. I would recommend him highly. It's funny, almost everyone I speak to who has had knee replacement, has had it done by Dr Starr.
    in Lansdale pa |
    M Krauss, Lansdale. Dr Star did a total knee replacement on me Dec 15th& I wAs walking with out a cane 3weeks later ! Dr Stsr was very nice. & I will go back next yr for left knee replacement
    in Perkasie, PA |
    Dr. Star is an excellent surgeon and kept me informed throughout all areas of the surgery. He is very pleasant and personable and a good communicator. If I need surgery in the future that is in his field, I will without hesitation ask for Dr. Star to do the surgery.
    in Hatboro, PA |
    I had hip replacement surgery with Dr.Star in November, 2015. Previously checked with friends and received high marks for Dr. Star from three sources. My experience was also very happy and I feel he is an extremely talented individual, Just had my three month check-up . and am. confident walking without a walker or cane -- although I keep one handy, at my advanced age. Will certainly recommend him to my friends.
    Very good surgeon. Received a total hip replacement on left side with anterior approach. Small incision and back to work in six weeks. Dr. Starr also fixed my leg length discrepancy. I was operated on at Abington Hospital and I received excellent care. I used email on patient portal website with questions and always got a quick response. This proved to be an easy way to communicate.
    in Abington, PA |
    I had a total left knee replacement in September 2015 and Dr Star was polite and provided answers to all my questions. My surgery was successful and the hospital nurses were very attentive and caring.
    in Ambler, PA |
    I visited Dr. Star a few years ago and he was upfront with me about needing my knees replaced but I need to lose weight and be older. I went back recently and have lost weight and of course I am older now, so he said it was time and we should do both.
    in Ambler, PA |
    I found I liked Dr Star the minute I met with him! He was the doctor everyone recommended to me, and they were right. His experience, and professional behavior just come through with a quiet confidence that feels comforting.
    Have you seen Dr. Andrew Star, MD?
    Are you Dr. Star?

Dr. Star's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
    •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
    •  Malpractice claims in Pennsylvania not available

• Local radio programs
      • ABC News

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Pennsylvania.

Why It Matters: Dr. Star's Board Certifications

Thomas Jefferson University

Completed in 1988

Northwestern Center Feinberg School of Medicine

Graduated in 1978

Dr. Star does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Star and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Anterior Approach Total Hip Replacement