Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD

NeurosurgeryMale

Neurosurgery

Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD is a Neurosurgery Specialist in Alexandria, VA and has over 12 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from University of Vermont College of Medicine in 2011. He is affiliated with medical facilities such as Inova Alexandria Hospital and Inova Fairfax Hospital. His office accepts new patients and telehealth appointments.

Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD

Inova Medical Group - Neurology I

1500 N Beauregard St Ste 300 Alexandria, VA 22311
Telehealth services available

Telehealth services available

Compare with other Neurosurgery Specialists

Compare Dr. Fanous with our nearby Neurosurgery Specialists at Cleveland Clinic.

Filter by
Provider Ratings

These providers are on the medical staff of Cleveland Clinic.

Dr. Fanous' Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Fanous

Hematoma removed from right side of brain
Surgery was very successful resulting in an early release from the hospital. Home recovery care was excellent. Three follow ups from surgery were excellent. Highly recommend doctor and staff at Alexandria Hospital ICU and follow up care with PT staff.
Jan 21, 2023
Feeling Blessed with a New Life
In addition to my Rheumatoid Arthritis, I've struggled for 6 years with spinal stenosis and then a herniated disc. Attempting to manage the pain with frequent epidural injections, finally, there was no quality of life. Fortunately my internist found Dr. Fanous. He and his team performed surgery and the result is more than I could have ever hoped. I am able to swim, exercise, participate in outings and hobbies. I literally feel as if I have a new life filled with all the experiences movement affords us. I'm eternally grateful to Dr. Fanous and his staff. In my book, they are the very best.
Carolyn Bivens – Aug 24, 2022
Lumbar Fusion Surgery
I am so very pleased with the outcome of my surgery in January 2022, the first month was a bit difficult. I am now at three months, and I can tell you that I do not have spine pain anymore. I do get little bit of uncomfortableness but all I do is change my position and I am fine. This uncomfortableness is because I am still healing. I can go up and down stairs, cook, walk sit etc. with NO pain. thank God and Dr. Fanous for giving me my quality of life back. thank you
Eva Luz Webb – May 27, 2022
Beyond grateful
I am beyond pleased with the help I received from Dr Fanous. At the age of 84, a tumor was found to be pressing on my spinal cord and causing walking difficulty for me. When I met Dr Fanous he reviewed the MRI and explained if the tumor was not removed I would be paralyzed from the waist down. Dr Fanous immediately put me at ease. He was very through in explaining the surgery, emphasizing the seriousness of the surgery, location of tumor, tumor calcification, length of surgery (8hours), my age and survival during the surgery and recovery after surgery. Surgery was successful. Recovery was successful. Through my journey through this, Dr Fanous was very caring, calling to see how was I doing between office visits and always encouraging. I have my year post surgery appointment soon and I can't wait to walk into his office without my cane. If you are looking for a surgeon who cares for his patients, Dr Fanous is the Doctor you want. I just turned 85 and I am able to take care of myself, dr
May 02, 2022
Excellent surgeon and staff
I remember my first appointment with Dr. Fanous when I was in crippling pain, barely able to move my left side and terrified I’d be like this forever. After he examined me, he promised that if I let him operate I would wake up pain free with function restored to my left side. He was so confident he could fix me and ever since the day he operated on me back in December I’ve had zero pain and don’t need pain meds or nerve medication anymore. 19 weeks later and I’m feeling better and stronger everyday. I love his entire staff, I’ve never had such a great experience at a doctors office. If I ever need surgery again in the future I will go back to Dr. Fanous. I won’t trust anyone else with my spine
Maria Fields – Apr 29, 2022
Dr. Fanous review
While on a golf trip in June 2021 I had a horrific accident when a golf cart overturned catapulting me over a hill landing me squarely on my neck and spine. I was immobile, semi-paralyzed and immediately taken by helicopter to the University of North Carolina emergency room. After a night of x-rays and continual scans I was informed that I was being released and would not need surgery. I returned home and was immediately referred to Dr. Andrew Fanous for a second opinion. Dr. Fanous rearranged his appointments and immediately scheduled emergency surgery. As was explained to me by his highly competent and skillful staff, the operation was long and difficult by first having to enter through my neck (for the neck injury) and then turning me over to operate on the spine. I spent 20 days in Acute Emergency Care under Dr. Fanous’ supervision. My post-op rehabilitation bordered on being amazing. Pain medication was minimal, in fact I can’t recall any discomforting pain and I attribute this to
Marv Seifried – Mar 30, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD?
Dr Fenous was very caring about my issues. Always makes sure you understand everything. This was a follow up after a very serious back surgery. He and his team gave me back a life that I can take care of myself. Forever grateful.
Nov 12, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD?
I rarely complete surveys but, in this instance, it is my pleasure. I have rarely met a surgeon who, not only is obviously extremely honest , competent and knowledgeable, but who takes the time, has the compassion, and is ABLE TO CONVEY that to his patients. He spent an inordinate amount of time with my husband and I, explaining everything he observed in my MRIs, alternatives to treatment, and specific guidelines to help me make those decisions.He answered all of our questions, and left the door open for when we have more.I would like to thank him, as well as his PA and Natalie.
Oct 14, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD?
How does one write a review for a neurosurgeon? Is it enough simply to write that his years of sacrifice to his education and craft, his skill and talent, kept me out of a wheelchair? Should it be mentioned that his expertise allowed me to feel my daughter’s skin again? How about how he allowed this 48 year old divorced father of a 13 year old to host a sleepover birthday party for his daughter and two friends after barely being able to walk prior to seeing him? Should his humanity, compassion, kindness, and levity be highlighted? Should the way he alerted me to the gravity of my condition while simultaneously giving me hope of recovery be noted? How do I thank this young man for giving my daughter her dad back? Through a review? I frankly find it hard to look him in the face again after everything he’s done for me and all I give in return is a review. I cannot express my gratitude in thought, word, or action commensurate to what he deserves. I am humbled to have been cared for by hi
Alexander Raad – Aug 04, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD?
Great visit with Dr. Fanous. Took all the time necessary to answer my questions and give me the assurance that I had healed. Treated me like I was a family member rather than just another patient.
PB – May 30, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD?
Speaking as an RN and one of Dr. Andrew Fanous’ patients I highly recommend this extraordinary surgeon. Knowing I needed a more complex spine surgery was daunting to me, especially after having one a few years prior that provided only minimal relief. But I reached the point where the pain was making my work and professional lives miserable. I wanted to be able to live my best life, but my spine condition was preventing me. It was recommended that I make an appointment with Dr. Fanous at INOVA Neurosurgery. Dr. Fanous and PA Erika Canouse were meticulous in evaluating and explaining my condition. Dr. Fanous takes pride in explaining the surgical process. He is also very honest—he was blunt in saying that part of successful surgery is accepting that the recovery after surgery is challenging and that I needed to be ready to commit to rehab and physical therapy. Dr. Fanous readily told me that he is one part of the bigger team in his office. This was so true! The clinical and front-desk
Susan D. – Feb 20, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD?
Dr. Fanous did emergency surgery to de-compress my spinal cord in my cervical vertebrae at INOVAAlexandria Hospital. …(Severe central stenosis C3-C5 with spinal cord compression). I also had Grade 1 Spondylolisthesis at C5-6. The operation was laminectomies and fusion of C3-6 on August 9, 2020. According to Dr. Fanous it was a complex surgery. I am totally pleased at the result of the surgery. Not only can I move better but my thinking is much better as well. One of my other doctors said it could be that I am getting more blood to the brain. Not only is Dr. Fanous an excellent surgeon, but he and his staff are most compassionate. I can not recommend Dr. Fanous and his staff more highly.
Ann MacNamara – Feb 19, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD?
He is one of a kind I think, educating me about the problem in a logical simple words like an engineer a project, I told him.
Jan 05, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD?
Dr. Fanous is top notch. He took care of my son when he had a traumatic brain injury and had to have surgery to repair it. Excellent bedside manner. Listens and has no problem taking as much time as you need. Explains procedures very well. I would trust him with my life!
Vicky McKeon – Oct 17, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD?
Great doctor and surgeon. Dr. Fanous removed a tumor from my spinal cord that was slowly causing me to become paralyzed from the chest down. When I first found out I had it Dr. Fanous called me from California at the request of his PA to let me know I was in good hands. I was able to get in to see him the following week. As this was my first surgery ever, it was not one of my favorite experiences. However, Dr. Fanous and his team got me through it. 9 months later I am walking, exercising, and overall doing very well. Very grateful for Dr. Fanous' help and care and I wish him all the best in his career.
Matt Robinson – Sep 02, 2020
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD?
Dr Fanous is a very special person to me. He made the entire experience of neck and and spinal fusion seem easy to understand and you believe in him. He takes time with you and always has a smile on his face. I was probably a difficult patient after surgery but truly felt he cared about me as a person not just a patient. EXCELLENT bedside manner. Just love him and in my waking up probably told him that. Would recommend him to anyone needed surgery involving spine or neck issues. Very special to me and my family
Dec 18, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD?
Dr. Fanous is the best physician I have met, He is my hero. When Dr Fanous first saw me Iwas paralized with bilateral drop foot and previous spinal surgery, now and four months after he performed my Spinal surgery I am able to walk again without any aid and I am almost back to work. He has the best bedside manners, outstanding Surgical skils and clinical sense. I wish him all the best in his career and personal life.
Azam – Oct 02, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD?
Dr. Fanous is an amazing neurosurgeon, and we were very fortunate to have him perform my father's brain tumor removal surgery. He cares about his patients, and always takes time to explain and answer questions.
Fairfax, VA – May 20, 2019
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD?
Excellent neurosurgeon with great outcomes. Very strong advocator for his patients and takes excellent care of them. He does not mind taking as much time as needed to speak with his patients and their family members. Overall a wonderful human being.
Nov 30, 2018
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Fanous, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Fanous?