Dr. Andrew Cu-Unjieng, MD

Ophthalmology | Male

Dr. Andrew Cu-Unjieng, MD
Dr. Andrew Cu-Unjieng, MD is an ophthalmology doctor who practices in San Diego, CA. He is 55 years old. Dr. Cu-Unjieng is affiliated with Scripps Mercy Hospital Chula Vista and Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego.

Dr. Cu-Unjieng's Care Philosophy

As an ophthalmologist, I believe in delivering excellent and compassionate care to all my patients. I make my patients feel that they are truly listened to and understood. A safe environment of respectful and open communication is crucial to a healthy patient-doctor relationship. I believe this is essential in delivering the best care possible. I am also fully committed to continuing medical education in providing only the most up-to-date proven treatments to my patients.

Dr. Cu-Unjieng's Experience

See how Dr. Cu-Unjieng's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Cu-Unjieng

Dr. Cu-Unjieng accepts 10 insurance carriers

Dr. Cu-Unjieng is now accepting new patients
Andrew Cu-Unjieng, M.D.4060 4th Ave Ste 405
San Diego, CA 92103
(619) 297-9131Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 2 hospitals where Dr. Cu-Unjieng has admitting privileges.

Dr. Cu-Unjieng's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Cu-Unjieng to family and friends
Dr. Cu-Unjieng's Performance
in San Diego, CA |
I have been thoroughly impressed by Dr. Cu and his medical team. I have recently moved to San Diego, and I was well cared for in San Francisco. I was worried about finding the same quality of care here. I can honesty say that Dr. Cu meets if not exceeds the excellent care I have received. He is extremely thorough, communicates clearly, and respects his patients. His team matches his conscientious care. I have the best Ophthalmologist in San Diego, if not in the world.
San Diego, CA |
I had a really bad eye infection. Sat in the ER several hours before I walked across the street and into Dr. Cu's office on a Friday at 3:30 PM and he took me in. It took several weeks to fix the infection and get my sight back; but he probably saved my eye by taking me in or else who knows what would have happened if I had to wait through the weekend.
in San Diego, CA |
I just had my last follow-up visit following cataract surgery and have been very satisfied with Dr. Cu's pre-surgery patience, his clear communication, explanation of all options and answering all my questions. My surgery was professionally perfect, and, scrupulously following his prescribed post-surgery self-care , my recovery was rapid and uncomplicated. He will perform my next cataract surgery, when needed. I have already recommended his professional services to two other friends.
in San Diego, CA |
Dr. Cu, I have never seen this clearly. You have given me nearly perfect vision. Thank you for this amazing gift. You are a star.
in San Diego, CA |
Personable, caring, knowledgable and highly skilled - this is a combination that every patient seeks. I was fortunate to get all that I was seeking and am now seeing so well after two cataract surgeries. In preparation for the surgeries, I was informed about what to expect and felt that my questions were taken seriously and well answered. The day of surgery and those following left me feeling that I had been in excellent hands and that Dr. Cu-Unjieng and his staff were attuned to my needs.
in San Diego, CA |
Dr. Cu has been very helpful before, during and after my cataract surgery and continuing treatment of my glaucoma disease. I couldn't believe how easy he made the surgery and he is always going the extra mile in helping me.
in San Diego, CA |
I was recommended to Dr Cu by my Primary Dr as well as my Retinologist, when I needed cataract surgery on my left eye. I had suffered an extremely damaging detached retina prior to visiting him, losing about 30% of vision in my right eye. Needless to say my concern to have an excellent surgeon for the operation was paramount. Dr Cu and his assistants and office staff were exactly what I had been hoping for. They were professional, caring and excellent in all aspects of treatment and the surgery
in san diego, ca |
My mom had issues with her former clinic, so we looked for a new one. She began seeing Dr. Cu-Unjieng, MD at a new clinic. The doctor has been patient, gentle, and kind when assisting my mom (who is in her mid 80s). Dr. Cu-Unjieng patiently explained how my mom should use her eye drops. The entire staff was nice and professional. My mom said, "I have an intelligent and considerate doctor. Thank you for taking care of me." Doctor, thank you for all of your help! It is greatly appreciated!
in Coronado, CA |
Without doubt Dr. Cu saved my vision threatened by Shingles. Professional, exacting, exudes confidence and competence. Excellent communicator; asks clear, concise questions, listens, clear diagnosis in layman's terms, clear instructions wrt home care and prescriptions. Office staff is extremely responsive, highly trained, and efficient. Office and equipment material condition, impeccable. In my time of uncertainty and anxiety Dr. Cu and staff provided confidence and positive healing attitude.
in El Centro |
Dr Cu is a wonderful Dr. and a very nice person. I had cataract surgery in both eyes, and I am thrilled with my results. He and his staff are very personable and make you feel very much at ease. The people at the surgery center, also were just as nice as could be. I can't say enough wonderful things about Dr Cu. If you are looking for an Ophthalmologist, you would be very satisfied by choosing Dr. Cu. Only one more thing I can say.. Thank You Dr Cu and your Staff. Cathy Dobson
El Cajon, CA |
A very thorough and knowledgeable doctor. After 15 years, gave me hope for real improvement.
in El Cajon |
Excellent doctor have reccommened him to friends and family
in Alpine, CA |
Since moving to San Diego, Dr. Cu has so thoroughly and skillfully cared for me, that I have allowed him to operate on one of my priceless eyes (which went successfully, with impeccable follow-up) and he will soon operate on my other priceless eye, something unthinkable to me 5/15/30 years ago. He and all his staff have always treated me kindly, and with care. I would recommend Dr. Cu to anyone wanting excellent eye care.
in San Diego, CA |
Dr Cu performed cataract/lens implant surgery on my left eye this past month. all aspects of the procedure went very well and his staff were very helpful both pre and post op. I would certainly recommend him.
in SAN DIEGO, CA |
DR. CU-UNJIENG TOOK OVER THE PRACTICE UPON THE RETIREMENT OF THE OPHTHALMOLOGIST THAT HAD CARED FOR MY EYES FOR 30 YEARS. Naturally, I was a little skeptical when I had to change. However, I have found Dr. Cu-Unjieng to be very caring and never in such a rush that he can't explain concerns, changes, or answer questions. (I notice he takes numerous notes for his records) I feel he is up to date on the latest in his field and he has done successful cataract surgery on both of my eyes.
in San Diego, CA |
Dr. Cu has been exceptionally kind and thorough taking care of my eyes and through cataract surgery. The process and follow-up was explained so well that it made me feel comfortable. He takes the time to answer and explain each question I've had to make me feel comfortable. His staff is always attentive and makes sure I know what is going on. Shout out to Elizabeth - very helpful! I am so glad I have an ophthalmologist that is so attune with his patient's care. Highly recommend him!
in San Diego, CA |
I felt I was important to Dr. Cu and his staff. They were warm and friendly. They were able to answer all questions and scheduling appointments was very easy. Dr. Cu explained everything he was doing. I was aware what to expect before during and after surgery. His assistants were knowledgeable and very efficient I wish I could remember all of their names. The only reason I had to leave Dr. Cu's was because of changing insurance companies otherwise I would have never left.
San Diego, CA |
Outstanding care for both my wife and myself. He listens to the issues we have and schedules the necessary treatments.
in Chula Vista, CA |
Dr. Cu did cateract surgery on both my husband's and my eyes, and he handled every aspect of preparation, surgery, and post-surgery treatments very carefully and accurately. He was very personable and knew our names, personalities and physical over-all needs. He built into the treatment considerations for our type 2 diabetes and my husband's heart conditions with a defibrillator. He dealt with complex problems in my vision as well. He gave us his cell phone number and was very accessible.
in San Diego, CA |
I highly recommend Dr Cu. I developed scleritis and my primary care called to find an ophthalmologist who would see me on the same day. Dr. Cu and his office staff took me in and the treatment has been great. I am sincerely grateful to him for his care.
in San Diego, CA |
Dr. Cu-Unjieng and is staff are all very professional, friendly and helpful. The wait time is reasonable and that has not been the norm for any medical care lately. Dr. Cu performed a YAG procedure on me and my site went from 20/200 to 20/40 in one week.
in Chula Vista, CA |
Dr. Cu-Unjieng performed eye surgery for me. His office was able to accommodate my schedule requests and were excellent in communicating what was involved in the entire process. He and his staff are consummate professionals and genuinely care about providing the best care for their patients. Dr. Cu-Unjieng provided me answers to all of my questions and I had complete confidence in his and his staff's performance. I can't recommend him enough!! Thanks again Doc!!!
in San Diego, CA |
Dr. Cu-Unjieng successfully performed cataract surgery in both of my eyes with the most precision and care. For all pre and post-op appointments, he demonstrated the best bed side manner by making sure that I feel completely comfortable throughout the entire process. I would highly recommend him to anyone. Thank you for giving me my vision back, Dr. Cu-Unjieng!
in San Diego, CA |
I had cataract surgeries on both eyes and now have 20-20 vision in both eyes Thank you Dr. Cu
in San Diego, CA |
Dr. Cu and his staff are wonderful! Everyone is very professional, friendly and courteous! Elizabeth was very thorough in going through my medical history and the initial part of my exam. Dr. Cu explained all of his procedures in detail and answered all of my questions with ease. I felt very comfortable and confident in the care I was receiving. I highly recommend Dr. Cu and his attentive staff!
in San Diego, CA |
Dr. Cu is an excellent doctor. He is kind and patient and explains every procedure thoroughly. He recently operated on my left eye and the result was everything I had hoped for. I would recommend him to friends, family and anyone reading this review.
in San Diego, CA |
I feel fortunate to have had Dr. Cu (as everyone joyfully calls him!) perform two separate cataract operations on me recently... I see better now than before! Dr. Cu is as gifted and qualified an Opthalmalogist as anyone could find - being extremely meticulous and involved in every step of each operation! And, his team of professional and friendly staff always made it a true pleasure to have to go to see Dr. Cu for!! Without any hesitation, I would recommend Dr. Cu (!) for eyecare needs!!!!!
in La Mesa, CA |
Dr. Cu-Unjieng restored my sight to 20/20 both eyes after removing a right cataract. I was seeing only 3 fingers a few inches in front of my right eye. Could not even read the Giant E on the eye chart. Dr. Cu and his staff were caring, friendly, helpful and personable. Having my sight restored is miraculous. Thank you Dr. Andrew Cu-Unjieng. I highly recommend you and you fine staff.
in El Cajon, CA |
Dr. Cu is the best. He is so friendly and so interested in helping his patients. He has much experience in his field so you can have confidence in his advice. Also I have never had a doctor call me to say goodbye when I had to change my insurance and he is not on the new plan. I am really going to miss him. His staff is also very efficient.
in San Diego, CA |
My first choice would be to not need a doctor. Dr Cu-Unjieng is a good choice if you do. He and his staff are very thorough. They run more tests and measurements than I thought existed to insure they provide the correct diagnosis. I initially had a cataract in one eye. I now have vision that is better than before I got the cataract. The surgery was painless and the results outstanding. The staff is friendly and very competent. I highly recommend their services.
in San Diego, CA |
On my first visit to him, Doctor Cu-Unjieng took extra time to check my eyes and talk with me compared to other eye doctors that I have had for six decades. His concern and superior knowledge were obvious. I then received 2 separate cataract operations that allowed me to almost see 20/20 in each eye. I strongly recommend Doctor Cu-Unjieng for his abilities and manner. I am relaxed in his friendly and very professional office when I am with him and his excellent staff.
in El Cajon, CA |
We presented Dr. Cu-Unjieng with a difficult case and received excellent care and results. My brother-in-law is in his early 60s and is mentally disabled. Dr. Cu-Unjieng showed infinite patience with my brother-in-law to correctly diagnose his eye site problems and to formulate a successful treatment plan. I already have and will continue to recommend Dr. Cu-Unjieng to friends and family.
in Norco, CA |
Completely satisfied with my experience with Dr.cu-Unjiengand and his staff. They were professional friendly and courteous in every way.I would recommend them to anyone.
in San Diego, CA |
I would highly recommend Dr Cu. His staff was helpful, polite and knowledgeable. The staff at the surgical center was excellent. He answered all my questions in a concise and understandable manner. He personally called to check on me after both cataract surgeries. Nothing more you could ask for a physician
in San Diego, CA |
The best experience i ever had he explainded everything and made sure i was taken care of at the time of surgery
in San Diego, CA |
His level of commitment to patients is beyond anything I have ever experienced before. Never before have I had a doctor take the time to call me after hours, on the weekend and in the evenings, to make sure that I was doing okay, and not having any problems.
in San Diego, CA |
Dr. Cu has been my ophthalmologist for about two years. I have always found him to be very professional, very polite and very easy to talk to. Dr. Cu never makes me feel rushed during my appointments and is always very thorough when answering my questions. He just performed cataract surgery on my eye and I couldn't be more pleased with the result. I would be happy to recommend him to friends and family.
in San Diego, CA |
The doctor is generally personable, but his comments and diagnoses tend to be ambiguous, even seemingly contradictory at times. His staff are very disappointing, especially the front desk, which is neutral at best, but often unfriendly and unsympathetic to patients' needs. Disappointingly, the doctor delegates to his staff, so that even in an emergency he won't pick up the phone to talk with a patient. Unprofessional.
Have you seen Dr. Andrew Cu-Unjieng, MD?
Are you Dr. Cu-Unjieng?

Compare Dr. Cu-Unjieng

Dr. Cu-Unjieng's Care Philosophy

Dr. Cu-Unjieng's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Ophthalmology
  •  Board certified in Ophthalmology

Dr. Cu-Unjieng has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for California.

Why It Matters: Dr. Cu-Unjieng's Board Certifications

• Chalazion
  • Chorioretinal Scars
  • Corneal Diseases
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Dry Age-Related Macular Degeneration

Ateneo De Manila University

Graduated in 1984

• French
  • Tagalog

Dr. Cu-Unjieng does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Cu-Unjieng and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Ophthalmology