Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD

Psychiatry ·  Male · Age 62

Dr. Bishop

"This man is amazing, i love that he tells it like it is. Sometimes its hard to hear, but needed.If you need a psychiatrist hes your man. If you need a counselor he will recommend one . His job is to diagnose and treat and hes the best. He will listen, but his job isnt to counsel. Ive veen told a few times i had 2 choices let life stay the same or change, its what i needed to hear. So those complaing ,you dont like the truth find a doc to hug you. If you want real help, see Dr. Bishop."

Read Review

"He is a very busy brilliant Doctor who takes care of many patients. He is outstanding and he has done scientific research. He is one of the very few psychiatrists who accepts Health insurance in Mississippi. Other Psychiatrists charge $500 per visit cash! He is very experienced and we are lucky to have him practicing in our community!"

Read Review

Make an appointment

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Bishop

3.3

Dr. Bishop?
Dr. Bishop's Performance
What People Say About Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
Was rude. I told him I had trouble getting out of bed in the morning and finding a purpose and keep in mind I struggle wit him severe depression and anxiety and he said I just needed to grow up and get over it and perscribed me more drugs and that was it. Both of my appointments were 5-10 minutes tops. I would say more around 5
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
Just pushing pills. $71 for a Rx and get out.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
He's a good Doctor. I will be going back. I was scared at first thanks to all these reviews. He was very helpful. I think these people were having a bad day and needed to blame someone. So take a chill pill and go back. Dr. Bishop is a keeper. Thank you Jesus.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
What an a hole! Told me within 3 to 5 minutes that I was a hopeless case. I would like to punch him in the face for this diagnosis.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
I've seen Dr. Bishop for about 9 years now. He's a great doctor and takes time to explain things and help you understand why things in the brain work the way they do. His staff is amazing as well. They have all become like family to me.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
When I first begain seeing doctor Bishop I was suicidal, my depression was very bad. I didn't want to do anything but sit around and cry, after spending time with doctor Bishop and taking the prescribed medication and seeing the recommended counselor and meeting with her on a weekly basis I started to feel much better and the suicidal thoughts became less and less. I am currently doing much better and I have doctor Bishops to thank for that.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
Dr. Bishop has been my husband's psychiatrist for several years, through some very difficult times. I only met him yesterday and was very impressed with his familiarity with my husband's history and with his caring and helpful attitude with me.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
I would not recommend him to my worst enemy.. He does not make eye contact with you, only sits there busy to write your prescriptions. I went in for a 3 month visit and addressed some issues to him and all he told me was "sounds like a personal problem to me". I thought that was the reason one visited a "so called" psychiatrist. He tore up all my prescriptions and told me I needed to go to Region 8. Worst "doctor" experience of my life.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
I had been in search of that psychiatrist who would understand me as a human being and not a case study, with a stern but passionate personality and Dr.Bishop was God-Send. I would recommend him to any and everyone!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
So helpful. I expected to be a crying mess but was laughing most of the appointment. Feels good to be validated. I appreciate the time Dr. Bishop too to explain the brain and tne parts that are affecting me. Highly recommend if you are struggling with normal life & need a little help.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
My 16 yr old son started seeing Dr Bishop after my 25 yr old daughter had been a pt of his. We like him a lot. He has helped my son and daughter with their depression. The wait is not long and usually in and out within an hour.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
Dr. Bishop is the best!! He helps a number of people in my family with depression or other illnesses. He is very attentive and genuine. I would recommend him to anyone!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
First of all, I had been going to a family mental health nurse practitioner who was great, but she kinda got to a dead end as far as being able to find the right medicine(s) for my bipolar disorder. Someone recommended Dr. Bishop. The first med. worked great, but then I started having a bothersome side effect. I went back and he prescribed a different medicine and so far, so good. I drive an hour and a half to his office and it's well worth the drive. The ladies in the office are nice also!
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
Dr. Bishop is very knowledgeable and so nice. I see him every three months and while he's writing out my refills he listens to whatever is on my mind, interjecting tips and information. Once we landed on the right combo of medications for bipolar disorder, we landed on them I'm very grateful to have him as my doctor. I completely trust him and know that if I ever need him he's a phone call away. I'd recommend him 100 times over to anyone who needs him. He's brilliant and trustworthy.
check out website http://www.andrewbishopmd.com/
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
Dr. Bishop is top shelf! He and his staff are there to make sure you have everything that you need. A wonderful group of people that i love to encounter! Dr. Bishop is a sensational doctor and a wonderful man! There is no one else i would see
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
very pleased and impressed with Dr. Bishop. Very smart guy and helped me understand my illness that is that same thing my Mom had. Made a list of questions, he answered them all. First time that has ever happened for me. Staff happy and courteous.
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD?
I was in for a follow up, was treated like a malicious individual, the apt lasted less than five minutes and I was threatened more than listened to. It was one of the most un professional experiences I have ever had, never thought I might have an anxiety attack while seeing a psychiatrist. He was running patients in and out of his office with such haste, it was sickening would not recommend at all, I was accused without any listening of something that was not previously discussed. Disgusted
Show more reviews

How was your experience with Dr. Bishop?

Dr. Andrew Bishop, MD is a psychiatry specialist in Jackson, MS and has been practicing for 36 years. He graduated from University Of Mississippi School Of Medicine in 1982 and specializes in psychiatry.

• Psychiatry

1983
U Miss Med Ctr
1982
University Of Mississippi School Of Medicine
1983
1982

Dr. Bishop accepts

Dr. Bishop accepts the following insurance:

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice claims information for Mississippi

Check Dr. Bishop's experience treating your condition or procedure

Dr. Bishop's conditions and procedures:

• ADHD and-or ADD
  • Adjustment Disorder
  • Alcohol-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Alcoholism (Alcohol Dependence)
  • Amphetamine and Other Psychostimulant Dependence
  • Dissociative Disorder
  • Dissociative, Conversion, and Factitious Disorders
  • Drug and Alcohol Dependence
  • Drug-Induced Mental Disorders
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Eating Disorders
  • Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT)
  • Factitious Disorders
  • Nondependent Drug and Alcohol Abuse
  • Nondependent Marijuana Abuse
  • Nondependent Opioid Abuse
  • Nondependent Sedative, Hypnotic, or Anxiolytic Abuse
  • Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
  • Opioid Dependence
  • Personality Disorders
  • Phobia
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
  • Psychiatric Diseases
  • Schizophreniform and Schizoaffective Disorder
  • Sedative, Hypnotic, or Anxiolytic Dependence
  • Suicidal Ideation
  • Tobacco Use Disorder

Check the quality of care at hospitals where Dr. Bishop treats patients.