Orthopedic Surgery  |
Dr. Amar Ranawat, MD
Dr. Amar Ranawat, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in New York, NY. He is 50 years old and has been practicing for 21 years. Dr. Ranawat is affiliated with Hospital for Special Surgery.

535 E 70th St

New York, NY 10021

• EmblemHealth
  • Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Oxford Health Plans

Learn about Dr. Ranawat

See how frequently Dr. Ranawat performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Hip Resurfacing
Hip Replacement
Osteoarthritis of Hip

Dr. Ranawat's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Ranawat "We strive to provide the best care possible in our center of excellence."

Accredited by: American Board of Medical Specialties*

• Ankle and Foot Instability or Derangement
  • Arthritis of the Elbow
  • Clavicle Fracture
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Enthesopathy of Knee (incl. Bursitis of Knee)
  • Femur Fracture
  • Internal Derangement of Knee
  • Knee Dislocation
  • Knee Fracture
  • Knee Sprain
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Leg Fracture Below Knee (incl. Ankle)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

• Separated Femoral Epiphysis Treatment
  • Synovial Biopsy
  • Total Knee Arthroplasty With Robotic Assistance
  • Viscosupplementation With Hyaluronate

No malpractice history found for New York.

• Middlebury College
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2001
  • Lenox Hill Hospital
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2002

• The James A. Rand Award, 2004

Dr. Ranawat has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Ranawat does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Ranawat and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Ranawat's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Ranawat to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Ranawat's Performance
Middletown, CT |
He was my fourth knee replacement surgeon whose opinion I was seeking for. He did not touch my leg, he refused to answer my questions or discuss my concerns, he spent max 2-3 min with me obviously showing anger even being in the exam room. I left devastated, frustrated, confused and truly in tears, despite the fact he decided to schedule my surgery for October. He does up to 8 knee replacements per day, and it scaries me --I am not a part of his assembly line, esp. with such complicated case
in Columbus NJ |
The best of the best. Amar did both of my knee replacements in 2004 and 2005 at Lenox Hill. I found he and his Staff to be courteous, knowledgeable and very professional. So much so that I sort him out once again in March 2017 to do my hip replacement at HSS rather than a doctor closer to home in NJ. I HAVE NOT BEEN DISAPPOINTED WITH MY DECISION. My remaining hip may need replacing sooner than later and I will return to the Ranawat practice.
Poughkeepsie, NY |
not pleased with lack of reading of record which i took long time to complete useless trip
Easton, CT |
I met with Dr. Ranawat regarding treatment options for hip arthritis. I felt his answers to my questions were kurt, dismissive, and unsupported by factual information.
in Morristown, NJ |
A terrible doctor and extremely arrogant who tore my hip labrums during a physical exam and then tried to tell me I already had a tear when I used to walk limitless amounts. I went in for a right hip clicking that caused no pain but I have Ehlers Danlos and wanted to be diligent checking out body parts. He then tore my left hip labrum and I could not walk for 5 months. I will live with this forever and he should not be practicing medicine.
in New York, NY |
He never mentioned a gluteus maximus tear prior to hip replacement surgery, only told me about reatachment of the muscle after surgery. Made no attempt to stablize re-attachment after surgery. Never found out if tear was present before surgery or done during surgery. Attachment did not hold and muscle atrophied. Didn't want to hear anything about complaints, just said there was nothing that could be done. Was walking better before hip replacement surgery than after.
in Glen Head, NY |
Dr. Amar Ranawat did a total R hip replacement. I read ALL the information sent to me ahead of time which answered most of my questions. At the time of my initial appointment, my concerns were addressed. I left scheduled for surgery and was confident that Dr. Ranawat was the best doctor for my health care needs. Surgery was very successful and I returned to work ahead of what was anticipated; I did arrange for transportation. I feel terrific! And have returned to a more active lifestyle!
I am a 24 year old patient who was in need of a hip replacement due to congenital hip dysplasia when I was born. I have been a patient of the hospital for special surgery for 22 years. If you want the best surgeon, he is your doctor. He's not the friendliest Doctor I've seen, but he did an excellent job. 7 weeks later and I'm already back at the gym and I would never know I had a replacement.
Have you seen Dr. Amar Ranawat, MD?
Are you Dr. Ranawat?

See our Orthopedic Surgery Specialist at NewYork-Presbyterian/Brooklyn Methodist Hospital

Visit Dr. Ranawat