Dr. Amanda S. Kleinman, MD

Dr. Amanda S. Kleinman, MD

Psychiatry | Female

Amanda S. Kleinman, MD, Ltd, Chicago, IL 980 N Michigan Ave Ste 1400, Chicago, IL 60611 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

I am a psychiatrist who works primarily as a psychotherapist. I practice psychodynamic, transference-focused psychotherapy, which is a new-generation form of psychoanalysis that blends elements from cognitive-behavioral therapy. Ultimately, I believe my role is to help bring clarity to a challenging emotional situation. Along the way, I can help patients consider pharmacologic treatments that may be helpful, being mindful of the further challenges that may arise from the treatment itself or from no treatment at all. I believe that empowering patients to learn about their minds and bodies helps them better take care of themselves and make thoughtful decisions along the way. My job is to assist and guide patients on their journey to becoming their best selves.Read more

Personal Bio

I grew up in the Midwest and have lived in New York City for college, Chicago for medical school and...Read more

Dr. Kleinman's Experience

97Experience
Match

See how Dr. Kleinman's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Kleinman

Dr. Kleinman accepts 2 insurance carriers

Dr. Kleinman's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Kleinman to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Kleinman
Dr. Kleinman's Office & Staff
    Under 10 minutes (9)
Dr. Amanda S. Kleinman, MD says

New patients want to hear others' experience of my practice. I greatly appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to write it.

Chicago, IL |
Dr. Kleinman is extremely approachable. She also really knows her stuff and she never tries to push a one-size-fits-all type of plan onto you. She makes sure to listen to your very specific issues and goals and works with you every step of the way. She is very easy to reach and responds very quickly to emails and calls.
in Chicago, IL |
She's great kind and caring. She's very professional, knowledegeable and helpful.She weclcomes any research you may have done on the medicine and she welcomes your opinion. I would recommend her. May sure to ask about her expertise and practice style to make sure she is the right match for you.
Have you seen Dr. Amanda S. Kleinman, MD?

Compare Dr. Kleinman

• Bipolar Disorder
  • Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Depression
  • Depressive Disorders
  • Dysthymia (Chronic Depression)
  • Dysthymia and Cyclothymia (Mood Disorders)
  • Major Depressive Disorder

• Group Psychotherapy
  • Medication Management
  • Psychiatric Evaluation
  • Psychopharmacologic Treatment
  • Psychotherapy and Psychophysiological Therapy (incl. Biofeedback)
  • Psychotherapy Services
  • Stress Management

No malpractice history found for Illinois.

Northwestern University Feinberg School Of Medicine, Chicago

Graduated in 2000

University Of Washington

Completed in 2003

University Of Washington

Completed in 2014

Columbia University, New York

Graduated in 1998

Dr. Kleinman has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Kleinman does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Kleinman and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

×

Dr. Kleinman's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Psychiatry
  • Board certified in Psychiatry
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Kleinman

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Kleinman's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)

Experience with Dr. Kleinman

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Kleinman says...

I grew up in the Midwest and have lived in New York City for college, Chicago for medical school and Seattle for residency. I enjoyed my experience in Chicago so much that I chose to return to Chicago to begin my career. I went to medical school to be a pediatrician, but realized that my lifelong interest in understanding people's emotions and behavior made me better suited working in psychiatry. During my residency, I learned CBT, DBT, and basic psychodynamic principals for psychotherapy, but as time went on, I found myself drawn to learning about Object Relations Psychoanalytic theories. When I returned to Chicago, I was able to fulfill my goal of running an outpatient psychiatry clinic. Several years later, I decided to make a career change by entering private practice. Now I run a practice that is 90% psychotherapy and 10% medication management, a breakdown that matches my larger interests.

Dr. Kleinman's Care Philosophy

I am a psychiatrist who works primarily as a psychotherapist. I practice psychodynamic, transference-focused psychotherapy, which is a new-generation form of psychoanalysis that blends elements from cognitive-behavioral therapy. Ultimately, I believe my role is to help bring clarity to a challenging emotional situation. Along the way, I can help patients consider pharmacologic treatments that may be helpful, being mindful of the further challenges that may arise from the treatment itself or from no treatment at all. I believe that empowering patients to learn about their minds and bodies helps them better take care of themselves and make thoughtful decisions along the way. My job is to assist and guide patients on their journey to becoming their best selves.

Dr. Kleinman says...