Dr. Alok Sharan, MD

Practices Spine Surgery

On a scale of 1 and 5 this provider is rated 4.5 after 70 reviews.
Author:
dr. sharan operated on me may 2 2019 for a cyst on discs l -2 and l -3 and a laminectomy I checked it to st. johns in Dobbs Ferry ny at 630a.m. and an hour later I was rolled in to operating prep. Around 830 after numbing from the waist down I was operated on . then to recovery and by 2 00 p. m. I was on my way home. recovery was amazingly fast and I was out and walking the next day and all the pain in my legs was completely gone . the hospital was great and dr. Sharan was terrific. I had a stenosis operation with full anesthesia. 6 years ago and the diifenece with this procedure is like night and day if you have stenosis `I continue to get better and better and can highly recommend both awake spinal surgery and dr. Sharan. . Robert Phillips
Author:
I was suffering from what I thought was a pulled muscle problem. I decide to find out what was going on and went to the doctor. After test and MRI, I was diagnosed with compressed disc disorder. I went thur the different treatments recommended by my doctor. With no relief. I decided to have the surgery. on March 14, 2019 Dr. Sharan and his surgical team preformed the spinal surgery. I had to stay overnight. The hospital was clean and comfortable the staff was awesome, friendly and there for me when needed. I went home the next day with all the instructions to get well. I am fully recovered and back to doing the things I enjoy doing which includes racketball. Thank you, job well done.
Author:
Dr. Sharan performed Awake Spinal Fusion on me in January of this year. I was able to go,home the day of the surgery and I have had no pain at all since that time. Dr. Sharan worked with an outstanding group of nurses, anesthesiologists, and other doctors to give me the best care I have ever received! Dr. Sharan was professional, methodical, personable, and always available to answer all of my questions before and after surgery. I highly recommend Dr. Sharan as a surgeon!
Author:
Dr. Sharan performed a Laminectomy on my lumbar. I would ABSOLUTELY DO THIS AGAIN. I am glad I met him. I highly recommend him and the Awake Sponal Procedure
Author:
I had a laminectomy and discectomy for a herniated disc at L5-S1 with Dr. Sharan eight days ago. He performed an “awake” spinal surgery. The surgery took about an hour but with the drugs I was given it felt like five minutes. I was able to go home same day. I only needed the prescribed pain meds for about four days. My recovery has been seamless and I’m ready to go back to work. I can’t recommend Dr. Sharan and the awake surgery enough. It really makes surgery seem like no big deal!
Author:
My mom had awake spinal surgery performed by Dr. Sharan about 6 weeks ago. After years of suffering and fear of having back surgery, we found Dr. Sharon, what a blessing. Dr. Sharan and his entire team at St. John's, Dobbsferry hospital were all fantastic. The entire process was very comfortable and she was able to go home the same day and recoup in her own bed an surroundings. Cheers to Dr. Sharon and his team!! Liliana Feinberg (Mercedes Rosende's daughter)
Author:
After years of back pain and one successful back surgery with Dr. Sharan, I was feeling immense pain on the other side of my back and immediately knew that I was going to need another surgery. At first I thought that I was going to need the same procedure that I had had two years earlier, but came to find out that one of my discs had completely deteriorated and I would need a replacement. Dr. Sharan recommended the Awake Spinal Fusion Surgery, stating that this would be the best course of acti
Author:
Dr.sharan preformed miracles on my back, I had awake spinal surgery. So far so good, I feel 95% better since I’m still in the healing process. But I’m extremely happy with my expierence & my overall results
Author:
My experience with Dr.Sharon was far less than expectation. I had my surgery done with him in year 2014 and since then my life has not being together. While in the hospital and after the surgery, he never did call or visit me in my recovery room. I am surprised about his improved rating. I will give him one star rating for his poor performance on me.
Author:
I recent had pain down from my back to my feet. Dr. Sharan was wonderful. Quit but right to the point. He did an infusion to my disk in my back and infused it. I had an eperderow so I didn’t feel my waist down and was put in a light sleep. After the operation the Doctor came to see me I had aches in my legs so the hospital I stayed in was Dobbs Ferry they were very nice.Dr. Sharan wanted me to stay ahead of the pain.The nurses were great. Dr. Sharan was a wonderful surgeon.
Author:
I had a spinal fusion in my lower back and was able to go home and walk up and down stairs the next day. I was particularly impressed with how patient Dr. Sharon was in clearly explaining - both before and after the surgery - what needed to be done and why, what my options were, and what was going to happen.
Author:
Amazing, I recently had a Laminectomy performed by Dr. Alok Sharan. The ease of surgery, recovery and results is truely remarkable. If you are diagnosed as in need of such surgery the non-evasive procedures used by Dr Sharan is the way to go. Besides Dr. Sharan’s extraordinary skills, he is a caring and dedicated physician.
Author:
Talk to me for five minutes then walk his fingers from my neck to my lower back and told Me I need pain management. He didn’t do any mri or any other type of exam on me. I feel like he brush me to side and really didnt care for my complaints.
Author:
Dr. Sharan is one of the best doctors I've ever had. Excellent bedside manner, compassionate, and focused on his patients' well being. Always starts off with asking how I feel rather than controlling the conversation. His assistant Samantha is amazing, and both Dr. Sharan and Samantha are very responsive to my inquires/questions (normally respond to messages same day, and no more than 24 hours after). Additionally, Dr. Sharan is part of WestMed - the best practice I've ever dealt with.
Author:
Family, friends, co workers and strangers, I can't say enough great things about Dr. Sharan. From the initial visit to post surgery follow up. He makes you feel you are the only one.
Author:
What can I say, I suffered from extreme pain for years after an injury at work. My spine, legs, buttocks and everything was so bad. I had the surgery to my lower spine in may and by July I was completely pain free. Yes...completely. I got my active lifestyle back and am looking forward to getting fit again. I really feel like there's nothing I can't do. He's brilliant, and very attentive and kind. I'm so pleased with my results. If you're contemplating this procedure, he's the one!
Author:
Dr. Sharan is a compassionate and knowledgeable surgeon. My Laminectomy was successfully done at Dobbs Ferry Hospital with no pain and minimal scarring. I was up and about the next day. I highly recommend him and have recommended him to a few people.
Author:
Dr. Sharan was extremely helpful in every step of the process. He was super attentive and answered all of my questions/concerns right away. I can say that I now have no pain in my left leg. I was back to normal activities within a week.
Author:
I had an a awake spinal infusion it was a great experience. Dr. Sharan talk with while he was operating. It was a great experience. Dr. Sharan is very caring gentle very thorough. Kind wonderful good listener. I will not go to any other orthopedic surgeon. Only Dr. Sharan. He has done four surgeries o me. I frist met him in 2010. I am very grateful way he has taking care of me. Thank you so much.
Author:
I was referred to Dr. Sharan after almost a year of suffering with a herniated disc and sciatic pain. Prior to my appointment, I invested countless time and money in chiropractor, physical therapy, and acupuncture treatments...nothing worked. I’m happy that I chose surgery and most importantly Dr. Sharan as my surgeon. From the consultation, to the surgery, to the post-op care he has been fantastic! I will continue to speak highly of him and refer potential patients.
Author:
But above all I was impressed by Dr. Sharan’s kindness throughout. He was always available to answer my questions or provide reassurance, either in person or by phone or email. I am 66 years old. I had never had surgery of any kind before. Frankly I found the entire prospect a little bit terrifying. Dr. Sharan’s warmth and caring were helpful beyond all words. I simply cannot find the words to recommend him as highly as he deserves.
Author:
Dr. Sharan patiently discussed Lumbar Fusion with me. Our first visit was filled with information as to why I was a candidate for the procedure as well as defining the specific problem that I was facing. Our second visit detailed the procedure itself, from cadaver bone to pedicle screws. My third visit reviewed the procedure of what to expect on the day of surgery. He was amazing post-surgically, always returning phone calls. The surgery was a success and I'm forever grateful. He's top notch.
Author:
In 2017 I was diagnosed with Sciatica and had crippling pain in my left buttock and thigh. I needed a cane or a walker to get around. I had outpatient surgery with Dr. Sharan in January of 2018. For the first month or two I experienced a good amount of pain most days, but it improved until the beginning of April when the pain went away. I am now pain free and walking normally. I have resumed all of my former activities and am thankful to Dr. Sharan and his staff for this result.
Author:
Dr. Sharan performed a Laminectomy on me. Can I start off by saying he is absolutely wonderful both as a surgeon and a person. I was so comfortable during surgery I was literally singing to Dave Mathews band which is one of my favorite and apparently Dr Sharan’s as well. He listens to you explains cares. If your in pain, you don’t have to be. Make an appointment and talk to Dr Sharan I promise he will help. The entire team was amazing!! Thank you so much! Frances Trantos
Author:
On March 19 2018 Dr Sharan performed a awake laminectomy. When I got to the hospital I was treated with such respect and friendliness. Dr. Sharan made me feel safe comfortable. He talk to me during the surgery. It was a awesome experience. He is gentle and caring. Thank you very much. I have never had to wait long to be seen. My appointment was at 9am I got there at 8:30. By 9:09am I was in my car going home. St John's Riverside Hospital is geart hospital to have surgery. The staff is great.
Author:
I am enormously pleased with Dr. Sharan & his entire team at WestMed and St. Johns, Dobbs Ferry. After other doctors mis-diagnosed me & I spent 8 mo's in agonizing pain, Dr. Sharan was able to diagnose the problem, clear the insurance, & operate within 3 weeks. Now 2 weeks post-surgery, I feel absolutely fantastic and am very grateful. The surgery itself was a breeze, as were the days immediately following. I hope Dr. Sharan reads this as I cant tell him enough how thankful I am.
Author:
Very upsetting visit with Dr. Sharan!! I've been having excruciating pain on my lower back, I haven't been able to sit or sleep on my back so he ordered an MRI and when I went for my results and thought I'd finally get an answer to what might be going on he completely ignored the results on my MRI report that clearly stated I had bulges and even a pinched nerve and told me he disagreed with what the Radiologist wrote on the report completely ignoring my physical complaints
Author:
Scared and the end of my rope, I sought out the best spinal surgeon around, and boy did I find him in Dr. Sharan! Even his impeccable reputation does not do him justice! He is by far, the most intelligent, caring, efficient Dr. I have ever encountered. I am a mother of 4 and an inner city school Principal. I desperately needed surgery. I was in debilitating pain. Thanks to Dr. Sharans expertise, I had surgery on a Thursday and was back to work that Monday just taking it easy! The best Dr. ever!
Author:
I have had lower back pain for many years and became well informed about how to best care for my back. Several years ago (2010) after another of many episodes of paralyzing back spasms I was told I needed a spinal fusion which required 6 weeks postoperative recovery and as a practicing physician I could not fathom taking more than 2 weeks. On 7/10/2017 I had a spinal fusion with Dr. Sharan under epidural anesthesia and was able to return to work 2 weeks later. No more debilitating spasms... :)
Author:
He's a wonderful doctor, who cares about his patients. I had surgery on my spine and recovered in 8 weeks. Right after surgery I was up and walking four hours later. His office is pleasant, his staff is professional, and they always call to confirm my appointment.
Author:
After 8 months of excruciating and unbearable lower back and side leg pains caused by a slipped disc; multiple pain meds, 2 spinal injections, physical therapy etc, I was finally referred to Dr Alok Sharan a very unassuming and caring doctor. My PCP recommended him. He allayed my pre-surgery fears with, "This is what I do for a living daily...you will be fine" Over the next few weeks, the surgery and recovery went well and I'm back to my normal life. I can't thank him enough! Highly recommended.
Author:
Good morning, My wife and I are in the St. John's Riverside Hospital in Dobbs Ferry , NY . Dr Sharan did a spinal fushion/lamenectimy. He also eased the nerve so my wifes feet would not continue to be numb. We absolutely adore the Doctor & his entire staff has been great from start to end. The Doctor is patient, kind, compassionate. Would you believe my wife is up and walking after 24 hrs. Thank you Doctor Sharan for everything. .
Author:
After two years of dealing with significant arm pain and diminished use of my right arm I finally went for a surgery consult. Dr. Sharan explained the degenerative nature of my C5-C6 disc in an easy to understand manner and inspired confidence the fusion surgery would fix my neck/arm problem. He was 100% correct. Right after surgery my arm pain was gone. My neck and shoulders were sore for about 10 days; but, there was no arm pain. I can use a can opener again! :)
Author:
When I met Dr Sharan for the first time I knew he was the one I would trust to do my Spinal Fusion Surgery in 2012. We connected. The surgery was a success. I'm pain free and I got my livelihood back. I'm now 64 years old and retired with lots of energy to burn having fun with my 5 grandkids. Dr. Sharon is an angel from God sent to heal people with back problems ??
Author:
My pain management doctor suggested I get a second opinion after reading the first surgeon's report. When I met Dr. Sharan I was comforted by his 'bed side manner' and ability to clearly communicate the minimally invasive spinal fusion procedure. In April the operation was performed and in less than two weeks I am two inches taller, aligned, pain free (except at incision site) and ready to resume an active lifestyle. Dr. Sharan and the entire team are professional, courteous and caring.
Author:
I've always been active - marathon runner and cyclist. As I reached 70, I had severe pain in lower back. Injections, and PT made no difference. Surgery seemed inevitable. Dr. Sharan recommended the option of "minimally invasive surgery." No deep incisions; small punctures into the spinal area. He performed the surgery on 3/21/16. I left the hospital the next day. 11 days later - Friday, 4/1, I taught my 2 hour law school class. I moved around the room easily. No pain. Pretty miraculous.
Author:
I was in a vehicle accident a while ago. I saw and was treated by a number of Physicians. Recently i heard about West Med and Dr Sharan. I was seen by his associates witch led me to him. He diagnosed me, and recommended surgery. It was set up, completed, and finally over. All aspects of treatment from start to finish was great. I feel good. Worth it. I played golf but used to hit to the left. Since surgery I hit straight and far. I guess i needed an alignment. thank you.
Author:
Excellent surgeon! Two weeks recovery time and minimal scarring. I would recommend him to anyone who needs back surgery.
Author:
I had spine surgery done by doctor Alok Sharan about 9 days ago. The experience at Dobbs Ferry Hospital was great all of the staff make you feel at home and the doctor does an amazing job. Would definitely recommend this doctor to anyone in need of spine surgery. The recovery process has been great thanks to the work and assistance of doctor Sharan.
Author:
Surgery went better than I thought I was in and out in a few hours The next day I was walking more than two miles back felt good
Author:
Minimally invasive laminectomy without general anesthesia produced immediate relief of symptoms, was walking/climbing stairs same day. Post op discomfort was only mild/moderate and resolved within 3 days. Dr. Sharan was accessible and responsive to any questions or concerns.
Author:
Dr Sharan was wonderful, I was in a ton of pain, he made a recommendation for surgery, explained clearly his viewpoint on the procedure, was thoughtful in his communication and approach. Before the surgery he introduced me to his team, they all came and introduced themselves and explained their part of the process and what to expect. After the surgery, he called me everyday for the first 3/4 days to make sure my recovery was happening according to plan. I have been nothing but impressed!
Author:
I had spinal fusion with Dr. Sharan less than a week ago. His whole team at St. Johns, Dobbs Ferry was friendly, caring & most considerate from the moment I checked in until the time I left. After suffering lower back, buttock, & leg pain I can say I am pain free. I did not experience anything but some mild discomfort to date. I had no need for pain meds at all. He is caring, patient & very knowledgeable in his field & I would highly recommend him to anyone. I wish I had seen him sooner!!!!
Author:
I had pain and mobility problems due to spinal stenosis. Dr Sharan was great at explaining the procedure, risks and benefits of this procedure but even more important was his surgical performance. I was on my feet that same day, going for walks the next and moving pain free with no difficulties in a week.
Author:
I had 2 appointments with Dr. Sharan before my surgery, he made me feel so positive when he spoke about what he was going to do. I even emailed him a couple of times with questions and he responded within a few hours. He did my surgery 3 weeks ago, the following morning he called me to see how I was feeling and went over again the things I could and could't do ( that was on Friday ). On Monday I had a question and left a message that morning he called me back a couple of hours later. I cannot sa
Author:
Dr. Sharon performed my spinal stenosis surgery and he and his entire staff are God Sent' Their professionalism is exceptional and beyond expectations. He is truly the best in the Industry. Anyone that decides to go thru life w/ the pain and discomfort that I had, until the operation is foolish. Dr. Sharon told me that my spinal stenosis would be a thing of the past after my procedure, and he is 100% right. Three weeks after the operation I was perfect. He is the best. !!
Author:
The practice is excellent and Dr. Sharan is very professional, he took very good care of my Mom.
Author:
I can't say enough of what Dr Sharan has done for me. In a surgery that took less than 1 hour he made me pain free and changed my life.
Author:
I was suffering with pain for many years. Using a minimally invasive approach Dr Sharan was able to decompress my nerve and give me relief. I was walking a few hours after my surgery pain free.
Very thorough with perfection