Dr. Allen Chu, PHD

Dr. Allen Chu, PHD

Neurology | Male

Houston Neurology and Sleep Diagnostic Center 15655 Cypress Wood Medical Dr Ste 400 Houston, TX 77014 Get Directions

When you know you're in excellent hands, with people who really care, you can relax and focus on your recovery. Here at the Houston Neurology & Sleep Diagnostic Center, you have a team of professionals with the credentials and dedication you can feel great about. Our founder, Allen Chu, MD, PhD, sets the standard for all we do here.

Dr. Chu has five board certifications in neurology, neuromuscular medicine, electrodiagnostic medicine and sleep medicine. He also has advanced training as neuroscientist with in-depth knowledge of the nervous system and its role in your overall health. Dr. Chu and everyone on our team bring you the full benefit of our extensive expertise, always with the compassion and personal attention that you deserve. Board-Certified: Neurology, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology Board-Certified: Electrodiagnostic Medicine, American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine Board-Certified: Sleep Medicine, American Board of Sleep Medicine Board Certified: Neuromuscular Medicine, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology Board Certified: Sleep Medicine, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology Fellowship: Neuromuscular Diseases and EMG, Harvard University and Massachusetts General Hospital Advance Elective Training: Sleep Medicine and Electrophysiology, Duke University Medical Center Residency: Neurology, Duke University Medical Center; Internal Medicine, University of Missouri at Kansas City PhD: Neuroscience, University of Iowa MD: Kaohsiung Medical University, Taiwan

Learn about this provider

Dr. Chu's Experience

Visiting Dr. Chu

Dr. Chu accepts 23 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 4 hospitals where Dr. Chu has admitting privileges.

Dr. Chu's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Chu to family and friends
4.2
Dr. Chu Says:

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey. These surveys are important so that we can continue to provide you with excellence service. Please be sure to visit our website for additional information and how to reach our staff. Once again thanks for your cooperation and time with our surveys.

Dr. Chu's Performance
in Houston, TX |
Dr. Chu was great. What I thought I was going to see him for and what the problem actually was turned out to be different things. He was the one who figured out what was going on and did so pretty quickly. He's a smart guy and has a good staff as well.
in Spring, TX |
Dr. Chu is awesome! He truly listened to my issues. He has a great bedside manner and addressed all my concerns. I would totally recommend him. The staff is very friendly as well.
Sugar Land, TX |
I had an appointment with Dr. Chu for the first time today and not only was his office staff very personable and friendly but I loved my appointment with Dr. Chu. He never rushed me one time and took time out to explain everything and answer all of my questions. How refreshing! I cannot remember the last time that a doctor has done this and his bedside manner is fantastic. if you are looking for a neurologist I highly recommend Dr. Chu and only wish I had found him sooner.
in Spring, TX |
Dr. Chu has excellent bedside manner, takes his time to ensure his testing results are accurate and allows ample time for Q & A. i am very pleased and feel fortunate i found Dr. Chu.
Spring, TX |
I just visited Dr. Chu because of carpal tunnel symptoms. Dr. chu took time to describe the EMG procedure and explained thoroughly the results. The tests were not painful. Dr. Chu has a wonderful bedside manner and I must say I enjoyed the visit. He found I had slight nerve damage but was very reassuring that surgery will help restore most of the motion in my hands and will relieve the pain and tingling. I highly recommend Dr. Chu and his staff.
in Tyler, Tx |
I have had great care under Dr. Chu. He has effectively helped me with sleep apnea, arm nerve issues, and shingles. He is highly respected by my other health care professionals.
in Cypress, Tx |
It is nice to have such a capable professional nearby. Dr. Chu saved me from years of pain and misdiagnosis on an elbow and wrist issue. I have already referred over a co-worker who was about to have carpal tunnel surgery...Dr. Chu was able to determine she had a shoulder issue that only needed therapy to sure the symptoms.
in Montgomery, TX |
Dr. Church explained what he was doing with the nerve text and when it was going to be painful. Thanks for your time and service.
in Spring |
friendly front staff 7 technicians/nurses; quick to be seen; Excellent patient-doctor dialogue; explained what tests were to be done & why; diagnosis and prognosis explained while i was there; didn't wait long at all; highly recommend; felt very comfortable asking the doctor questions and he gave me great feedback and answers to my questions. he had great bedside manner!
I have been a patient for 10+ years and will recommend him
in Katy, TX |
He treated my mother with exceptional focus and a true sense of urgency. He was able to rule out conditions in a systematic, prioritized way. We found other issues and addressed them promptly as a result of his efforts. We are thankful to Dr. Lambert for referring us to and will use Dr. Chu going forward for any needs in his area. His staff was extremely helpful as well, working with us while my mother was in ICU at Memorial for a separate issue. Dr. Chu actually called me directly the same day.
in Houston, TX |
Unfortunately I did not have luxury to see Dr. Chu. I have just moved into town and scheduled to meet with him 1 month in advance. I get a call a day before looking to reschedule. I tired to reschedule and they wouldn't see until after 2 weeks. Keep in mind I need my epilepsy medication and they were not willing to send in a prescription or help me in any way. I am stuck without meds and can have a serious seizure and they cannot and will not help. Don't put your life in the hands of people wh
in Montgomery, Tx |
The Office staff was excellent and very thorough. The EEG tech had a great bedside manner and provided me with great instructions before the test was started. Dr. Chu was wonderful and actually spends time explaining each procedure. I would reccomend Dr. Chu to anyone.
Houston, TX |
I've had two EMG's from Dr. Chu and am very satisfied with his bedside manner. He explains everything as the procedure is going on as well as a complete and thorough review of his findings. I would not hesitate to recommend Dr. Chu to anyone.
in Magnolia TX |
Dr. Chu is knowledgeable and informative with a dependable support staff. Thanks for a good experience every time!
in Houston, TX |
Dr Chu and his staff are wonderful. Dr Chu will correctly diagnose your problem and point you in the right direction. I have been with him for years and so has my wife. He is gentle and makes a somewhat anxious procedure very relaxing.
in Houston, TX |
Great experience with Dr. Chu. I came in for an EMG as I was referred to him and he was able to provide a thorough diagnosis. He gave me specific details of my results, took the time to answer my questions and was very patient. He has a terrific bedside manner and his nursing staff is wonderful. Highly recommend!
in Conroe, TX |
I had to have an EMG and Dr Chu took his time to explain the procedure and listened to my concerns. He made the procedure almost painless. His staff is great.
in Houston, TX |
it is rare to find a great doctor and a good staff but Dr. Chu's practice has both. Dr. Chu puts you at ease, he is thorough and explains everything in a manner you can understand. His staff is warm, friendly and accommodating. They have gone out of there way to accommodate my scheduling needs.
in Houston, TX |
The doctor was attentive and thorough. He had a great bed side manner. The staff was awesome and easy to talk to. I had an EEG and the tech was extremely friendly and proffesional. He explained the proceedure during the set up and I was very comfortable. I would definitely recommend this doctor for any neurological needs.
in Spring, TX |
Dr. Chu has great bedside manner, very knowledgeable and provided me the information I needed in a way I understood it. He will take his time with you and help you feel more comfortable about whatever issues you may have!
in Montgomery, TX |
Dr. Chu was very professional & easy to talk to. Also listened to me & my concerns. The Emg was the easiest one I have every had. He let me know what was going to happen before he did anything. Great bedside manner. I would highly recommend him.
in Spring, TX |
Dr Chu took time to explain. Procedure and ask questions regarding my condition. Good "bedside " manner not in a rush and very pleasant.
in Spring, TX |
Dr. Chu is a brilliant neurologist who is exceptionally meticulous when diagnosing the precise etiology of a malfunction in the nervous system. He has the eye of a scientist searching for answers and the heart of a physician trying to heal. He provided a straightforward and thorough explanation of my symptoms along wth protocols for alleviating the associated problems, and he continues to follow my progress.
in Houston, Texas |
Dr. Chu was amazing. He took the time to explain my diagnosis and made me feel less anxious about my procedure. Great bedside manner.
Spring, TX |
This is the second time I have had to undergo this procedure and Dr. Chu was excellent at this task. He had a great sense of humour and put me at ease and his diagnosis was spot on. His staff was very helpful as well. I would highly recommend Dr. Chu. I will be using him again when needed.
in Houston, TX |
Dr. Chu is very professional but also a very pleasant person to talk with. He made me feel relaxed and was very soft spoken.
in Houston, TX |
Very thorough and intelligent application of his specialty but able to explain to me the issues going on and the potential risks and medical techniques to correct. Was impressed with the technology and his use to determine the near exact location of the nerve impingement. Outstanding to know where the issue(s) exist. Was interested in the examples of how this condition has affected my life to pass onto other patients.
in Spring, TX |
very concerned about patient. Thorough with his exams
in Spring, TX |
He took his time to explained everything very well and he is the best!
in The Woodlands, TX |
I had an order to see Dr. Chu for a nerve conduction this morning, 6/22/16. Dr. Chu was very kind and made me feel at ease knowing that i dreaded the test and I just did not know what to expect. He made sure i knew what to expect when he was conducting the test for me to be comfortable with less anxieties. The needles that he inserted in parts of my arms, back, etc. was mild in pain. Dr. Chu really was light with his hand with the needle insertions. I highly recommend Dr. Chu. He is excellent!
in Spring, TX |
Dr. Chu recently did an EMG test on my hands and arms. He was extremely thorough. He even had me come back a second time on my left arm and hand, as he found I have very unique locations for several nerves, and wanted to be completely certain on what information to share with the surgeon who will do nerve and carpal tunnel work.
Houston, TX |
Dr. Chu is an exceptional doctor with a very good personality. When I went to see Dr. Chu, I was very weak; had no energy, could hardly breathe, and could not hold my eyelids open. Now I feel like a new person. My breathing is good, I have energy, and my eyes stay open longer.
in garden city ks. houston tx |
No one better. He saved my daughters life
in Houston, TX |
Dr Chu was very though and professional, In other words I thought he was great.
in Houston, TX |
I visited Dr. Chu again yesterday. Always a great experience with Dr. Chu! He takes a lot of time with each patient, listens, and performs tests expertly. Very pleased.
Have you seen Dr. Allen Chu, PHD?
Are you Dr. Chu?

PhD: Neuroscience, University of Iowa

MD: Kaohsiung Medical University, Taiwan

Dr. Chu's Care Philosophy

Dr. Chu says...

I would like to announce that our EMG laboratories have recently received the "Accreditation with Exemplary Status" from the American Academy of Neuromuscular Disease and Electrodiagnostic Medicine (AANEM). We are proud to become the second EMG laboratory in Houston to receive such accreditation, following Houston Methodist Hospital downtown.

The status of "Accreditation with Exemplary Status" reflects the high quality and excellent standards of our Center. We specialized in the full spectrum of neuromuscular disorders and Electromyography (EMG) study.

Dr. Chu says...

Following my fellowship training at MGH, I have been serving as a neuromuscular specialist, performing more than 25,000 EMG studies. I will also perform Nerve Conduction Study personally without a technician.

Dr. Chu says...

Dr. Chu's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Neurology

Dr. Chu has no media or publications listed.

Why It Matters: Dr. Chu's Board Certifications

• Dystonia
  • Inflammatory and Toxic Neuropathy
  • Insomnia
  • Lumbar Radiculopathy
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Myopathy
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Neuromuscular Diseases

Duke University Medical Center

Completed in 1998

University of Missouri / Kansas City Campus

Completed in 1995

Neuromuscular Diseases and Emg, Harvard University and Massachusetts General Hospital

Completed in 1998