Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD

Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD

Orthopedic Spine Surgery  |
Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD is an orthopedic spine surgery doctor who practices in Philadelphia, PA. He is 56 years old and has been practicing for 30 years. Read his story

925 Chestnut St Fl 5

Philadelphia, PA 19107

• Amerihealth
  • Coventry Health Care of Delaware
  • EmblemHealth

Learn about Dr. Vaccaro

See how frequently Dr. Vaccaro performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Myelopathy
Spinal Fusion
Spine Fractures, Traumatic

Dr. Vaccaro's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Vaccaro's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Vaccaro "Dr. Vaccaro graduated Summa Cum Laude from Boston College in 1983 with a B.S. in Biology. He received his medical degree from Georgetown University School of Medicine where he was promoted with “Distinction.” He earned membership in the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Honor Society and graduated with honors in 1987. He completed a year of Surgical Internship at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA and completed his Orthopaedic Surgery Residency at Thomas Jefferson University where he graduated in 1992. Dr. Vaccaro completed a Spine Fellowship at the University of San Diego, CA. In 2007, Dr. Vaccaro earned a PhD in the field of Spinal Trauma. In 2015, Dr. Vaccaro received his MBA (Master of Business Administration) from Temple University’s Fox School of Business in Philadelphia, PA and graduated with honors. Dr. Vaccaro has served as the president of the Rothman Institute since 2014, and is the Richard H. Rothman Professor and Chairman in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, and Professor of Neurosurgery at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was the recipient of the Leon Wiltse award given for excellence in leadership and clinical research for spine care by the North American Spine Society (NASS) and is the past President of the American Spinal Injury Association and the Association for Collaborative Spine Research. He has over 650 peer reviewed and 195 non-peer reviewed publications. He has published over 300 book chapters and is the editor of over 54 textbooks and co-editor of OKU-Spine I and editor of OKU-8. Dr. Vaccaro also serves as Co-Director of the Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center of the Delaware Valley and Co-Director of Spine Surgery and the Spine Fellowship program at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, where he instructs current fellows and residents in the diagnosis and treatment of various spinal problems and disorders."

This content was provided by Dr. Vaccaro "To improve a patient's quality of life and functionality."

• Orthopedic Spine Surgery

• Bone Cancer
  • Broken Arm
  • Broken Neck
  • Cauda Equina Syndrome
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Coccygeal Pain

• Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Herniated Disc Procedure
  • Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Knee Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
  • Minimally Invasive Surgery
  • Neuroplasty
  • Scoliosis Surgery
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities
  • Spine Fracture Treatment
  • Spine Surgery

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Pennsylvania.

• Georgetown University School Of Medicine

• Cervical Spine Research Society award for best poster exhibit, 2001
  • Economic and Cultural Achievement Award, 2002
  • Recipient of the Jeffrey Lance Spinal Cord Injury Foundation Award, 2001
  • Scoliosis Research Society Traveling Fellowship, 2003

Dr. Vaccaro has no media or publications listed.

• Italian

• American Spinal Injury Association, Past President
  • Association for Collaborative Spine Research, Past President
  • Orthopaedics and Neurosurgery at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Professor
  • Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center of the Delaware Valley, Co-Director
  • Rothman Institute, President
  • Spine Fellowship Program at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Co-Director
  • Thomas Jefferson University, Chair, Department of Orthopedics

Dr. Vaccaro's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Vaccaro to family and friends
Dr. Vaccaro's Performance
absecon, nj |
Excellent physician, I highly recommend him for spine disorders. I had a cervical fusion in August and am recovering nicely
in Philadelphia |
Very skilled and patient-friendly. The best!
in Philadelphia |
Excellent experience/fabulous surgeon/highly recommend / I am a dentist and had cervical spine surgery (pins and plates) and was back at work in 2 weeks. / Very thankful
in Mullica Hill,nj |
Excellent Doctor & Surgern my pain is gone.He did my spine surgery and left no scar.
in Bethlehem |
After 3 prior back surgeries (with 3 different Physicians) where not enough was done, finally I found an awesome Physician in Dr. Vaccaro who resolved all of my back issues immediately! I can't recommend a better Spine Surgeon than Dr. Vaccaro!
in pennsburg |
Dr Vaccaro is a great surgeon with a fantastic personality to match. He made me feel comfortable before my surgery and has been extremely helpful in the months following. He always makes me feel like I am his only patient taking all the time necessary to explain my condition and review my procedure. I would recommend him to anyone who would need his service.
in Minersville |
I believe Dr Vaccaro is the best Doctor I have ever had the opportunity to deal with I will recommend his to anyone that needs help. He is also a caring person and helpful
in Wilkes-Barre, PA |
I had multiple issues with my spine which finally made it necessary to opt for surgery since I was almost bedridden with pain. I met with another doctor earlier who said I needed a PLIF 6 hour surgery. I then went to Rothman Institute to Dr. Vaccaro who assured me that after a 45 minute less aggressive surgery I would be pain free. Dr. Vaccaro performed the surgery and I have been pain free since. He gave me my life back!
in Moscow, Pa. |
Although I am still in the healing process, I had extensive back surgery with an 8 inch incission in my mid to lower back. Had only minor pain even after coming home after a very short stay in the hospital. Dr. Vaccaro did an outstanding job and I highly recommend him to anyone in need of spinal surgery.
in ocean View, nj |
If it was not for Dr Vaccaro performing surgery on my back 2 years ago I would not be walking around so great today!!!! He is wonderful and I am very grateful I had such an outstanding doctor!
in Schwenksville, PA |
Dr. Vaccaro performed surgery on me for severe spinal stenosis one year ago this week. Prior to surgery I was unable to walk down the block comfortably. I am happy to report that about 10 months later according to my walking app I was able to walk 30 miles over a 4 day period at an Orlando park with no issues. As an RN I was careful to select a surgeon that I felt was the most qualified and after doing my research, Dr. Vaccaro was my choice.
in Gloucester City, NJ |
I had herniated C6-C7 10 years ago. I tried everything short of surgery. Chiropractic (bad idea), P.T., 8 epidurals, inversion table... I feared surgery. The last 2 of those 10 years the pain was 24/7 and continued to progress, including numbness, tingling and weakness in my right arm & hand. Dr. Vaccaro performed Anterior Cervical Decompression & Fusion on February 22, 2017 at Methodist Hospital. After home therapy and a few weeks of P.T, I am PAIN FREE and gaining my strength back. NEW LIFE!!!
in wayne, pa |
Dr. Vaccaro is arguably the best spinal surgeon in the US. I have had chronic back issues since an original injury in 2005. I have had spinal surgery consults with 7 of the top spinal surgeons in the country, and I would rate Alex at the top! The Rothman Institute at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital system is the top orthopedic center in the country and Dr. Vaccaro is the President of the Institute. I had fusion surgery in May, 2017 and Dr. Vaccaro's entire team is the best in the business!
in Maple Shade, NJ |
I recommend Dr. Vaccaro to anyone I hear is in need of consultation or surgery of the spine. I was a longtime patient of one of Dr. Vaccaro's associates from his earlier years of practice. He referred me to Dr. Vaccaro, since he was reitiring and couldn't do the surgery. Best referral I ever recieved. I had a spinal decompression L3 and fusion L3, L4 in December 22nd of 2016 and feel like a new person. I am just about back to 100 percent and am so grateful for being referred to him!!
in philadelphia, pa |
Dr. Vaccaro is extremely professional yet very personable. His entire team, staff and practice spends the time to look beyond the medical reports and understands the suffering and pain that patients are going through.
Reading, Pa |
Dr. Vaccaro is by far the most professional surgeon I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. His confidence and bedside manner made what was a very difficult procedure seem like an everyday occurrence.
in quakertown, pa |
Dr Vaccaro is understanding and very knowledgeable when it came to back pain. He knew exactly what needed to be done and assured me that all would go well and I would be safe. At my first appointment with him I felt at ease and at peace knowing I was in good hands.
in Scranton, PA |
I'm honored to say how wonderful Dr. Vaccaro treated me. I'm a soon to retire professional IAFF city fire Lt. I was injured in an arson/burglary. Dr. V. knew I had a few good miles left in me, fixed my neck. Never to need any pain meds. The 3 Hr. drive to Philly was worth it. His Physician's Asst. Mila Furman is also a wonderful young lady, and smart too. I can't say there was one time I wasn't happy to be there. You'll get the "Ritz Carlton" treatment at Rothman! Jim W. Scranton, PA.
in philadelphia, pa |
Dr. Vaccaro is not only amazing at his craft, but he's also very kind and has great bedside manners. Dr. Vaccaro's team is on point. The Rothman staff is excellent! They're customer service is top notch, they are very personable, they're comforting and they responded to all of my inquiries within hours. This was my first real medical surgery (where I needed to stay overnight, anyhow) and I don't have anything negative to say about the whole experience
in Pottsville, PA |
Referred to Dr.Vaccaro by my local orthopedic doctor due to herniated discs and massive stenosis at the L-1 thru S-1 areas. I had already had surgery at the Rothman by Dr.Cotler which was successful and I had a full recovery from a L4-L5 total ruptured disc back in 1986. Fully expecting Dr Vaccaro to want to "cut' me I sat down with him for evaluation of my MRI's. To my surprise he said surgery was not necessary and laid out a course of recovery without surgery. He is truly a real pro !
in Voorhees, NJ |
He was very to talk to and explained everything thoroughly. He was the doctor to do the actual surgery and I saw him in all the follow-ups. He was there through the whole process. I would recommend him to anyone suffering from neck pain.
in Ambler, PA |
I had serious sciatic pain that was getting worse and saw 3surgeons in my area from Penn, Abington, and Dr. Vaccaro at Rothman. I can't say enough good things about him. The consult and treatment options were clear and conservative to avoid surgery first. He ultimately did a fusion and a laminectomy and it went flawlessly. His post-op recovery used tools like bone stimulators, custom braces, and thorough home nursing care follow up. Dr. Vaccarro is an MD, PhD., MBA so is a LDR in his field
in Manheim, PA |
I seen Dr. Vaccaro for my spinal stenosis in my neck after many years of pain and migraines. Our first visit was very matter of fact on his part while exuding confidence in what he needed to do to give me a better quality of life. My husband and I really appreciated that. He didn't spend a lot of time with us at each visit, but we were ok with that. We went to him for the expertise he has proven throughout his surgical history and he did a remarkable job on my neck.I am so grateful for his care.
philadelphia, pa |
Dr. Vaccaro gave me my life back. I had chronic neck and arm pain from herniated discs that kept me from being able to play with my children. He performed my cervical spine surgery 2 and a half years ago and I have been pain free since. I can now sleep in a bed again instead of a reclining chair and most importantly my kids have their mom back.
in mount laurel, nj |
I came to the Rothman Institute suffering from major numbness in my legs and feet. I also suffered from intense lower back pain. Dr. Vaccaro performed spine surgery on 11/21/16. The quality of my life has changed tremendously. I now walk every day (at least two miles) and experience no numbness or pain. It has been 11 weeks and I look forward to starting physical rehabilitation and I plan to be back in the gym by August!!
in Blackwood, NJ |
This is a great man wonderful doctor everything he told me he came true I would recommend him to anybody it was a wonderful experience and I could not be any happier with my spine surgery I am finally out of pain for the first time in 10 years
Hockessin, DE |
I have been extremely pleased with the care I received from Dr. Vaccaro. My cervical spine operation and recovery went just as he said it would. He even put the incision in a natural crease in my neck so the scar would not show. I recommend him to all my friends. I had the surgery at their Bensalem facility which was an excellent choice. His physician assistant Mila Furman has been great!
in Coatesville, PA |
Dr. Alexander Vaccaro had given me the confidence and assurance about proceeding with my lumbar fusion from our very first consultation which took place five months prior to me have surgery. After reviewing my MRI, Dr. Vaccaro said to me and I quote, "I can fix this and that you will be able to go back doing what you were previously doing without pain." " I can give you your quality of life back." With that being said, I had no reservations about him performing the surgical procedure on my spine
in Ardmore, PA |
Dr Vaccaro couldn't have been any more compassionate about back issues. He came into the exam room and told me exactly what he was going to do and he did! He gave me back my life pain free. I could not be any more happier with the result of my back surgery. After 5 months I was able to get back in the gym.
in Sellersville |
If your looking for the best....this is your guy. I've been having back problems for years, and pretty much have done everything (therapy, chiropractor, epidural injections, trigger point injections and Acupuncture). I did some research and decided to go talk with Dr.Vaccaro. After discussing my options, I decided to go ahead and get surgery ( Anterior, Posterior, Decompression Spinal fusion L4-S1). I just want to say THANKYOU to Dr Vaccaro and his staff for taking such good care of me.
in Englishtown, NJ |
Dr. Vaccaro performed a microdiscectomy on me 2 days ago. I had pain running down my right leg for over 4 years due to a bulging disc, L4-5. He was professional and most importantly, my pain is gone in my leg. I've had the same surgery done on me in 2012 by another doctor. However, it was a failure and my pain came back. The only pain I'm feeling now is soreness from the incision. Lastly, all the nurses and PA's at Methodist Hospital in Philly were amazing. Joseph Rizzo
in west chester, pa |
Dr Vacarro diagnosed and treated my lower back stenosis, arthritis and disc problems 2 years ago. While back surgery is hard to get through, he and his staff amazed me at how well they conducted the process. I do not have the pain and limitations that I had and am back to a normal life. Not only did the surgery go well but the whole process went smoothly. DEFINITELY WOULD RECOMMEND. I had the surgery at Jefferson Hospital and that also was a better than excellent experience.
in Warren, NJ |
Excellent surgeon for difficult removal of spine tumor. Experience was professional from start to finish.
in Hilltop,NJ |
I couldn't be happier with the complete Rothman Team. From my first visit with Dr. Vaccaro to my hospital stay to my post - op visits. Both Mila and Riana are a vital part of the team. It was a pleasure to have met these three people and the many people that cared for me in the hospital. I would recommend this team and the Rothman Institute to all my friends. Thank you Mel Lowden
Old Bridge, NJ |
We are so grateful to Dr. Vaccaro. He preformed a miracle on my husband. He was unable to sit at all and could stand only minutes. After several surgeries with Dr. Vaccaro he is doing wonderful. We did not think that he would ever be able to sit and now can for several hours! He is beginning to walk and his progress is amazing.
in Abington, PA |
He knows his stuff and is very personable to boot!
in philadelphia, pa |
I barley walked. When I was wheel chaired into his office for a 3rd opinion as he looked at me he already knew was the diagnosis were and within 6-7 days i was operated on. now im on the road to recovery n being ale to walk again.
in Magnolia, NJ |
Dr Vaccaro has and continues to be very understanding of my symptoms. He has explained all procedures to me in depth. very personable and very easy to talk to.
berlin, nj |
I had a lumbar fusion, I am 10 weeks out and feel great. I would recommend him to all family members.
in Pottstown, PA |
From the moment I met Dr. Vaccaro I knew I was in great hands. I listened to what he told me & had total faith & trust in him. I had to have a cervical spinal fusion C3-C7 a big surgery to decompress my spine. He went in through the front/back of my neck, plate, screws and cadaver parts. I was given 4 months to have this surgery or I would have landed in a wheel chair/then spiral downhill. I am truly blessed & so thankful I chose the best. He is so skilled/gifted, TopDoc! Extreme pain was lifted
in Lancaster, PA |
Dr. Vaccaro is friendly, concerned, and extremely skilled. It was easy to put my trust in him as he evaluated my condition and preformed my L4-L5 spinal fusion surgery. He was recommended to me by a qualified nurse navigator. My surgery was 1/21/16. From the moment that I returned to my room the intense pain was gone. Five months post surgery my recovery is amazing, my quality of like has returned to normal. I highly recommend Dr. Vaccaro!
in Sewell, NJ |
On February 18, I woke up with a crick in my neck and went downhill from there, suffering from discomfort --literally-- from the tips of the fingers on my right hand to my shoulder. In late March, unable to deal with the discomfort, I made an appointment to see Dr. Vaccaro, who prescribed an MRI which revealed a bulging disc pressing on the c6 nerve. On March 31, Dr. Vacarro performed surgery and I experienced immediate relief. Dr. Vaccaro, his physician's asst. and entire staff were great.
in Langhorne, PA |
Dr. Vaccaro performed my spinal fusion (L4, L5 and S1) on 3/21/16. I was up and walking quickly (as they recommended). In the many miles I've walked since my day of surgery I have not had any of the pain that I initially went into surgery for (right leg pain that was very debilitating). I still have soreness at the point of the surgery but I was told up front that that would take 4-6 months due to having to split the muscle to get into the area that needed the repair. Just starting PT now.
in Conshohocken, PA |
I had a C-5-6 fusion. Dr. Vaccaro did a great job before during and after.
in Waterbury, CT |
I am now six months post spinal revision surgery performed by Dr. Vaccaro. To sum up my recovery, it is nothing short of a miracle. I sought out Dr. Vaccaro on the recommendation of a colleague . Dr. Vaccaro was an advocate, honest, straight forward, answered my questions thoroughly, kind, compassionate and most importantly is a highly skilled surgeon. Dr. Vaccaro's skills and his marvelous support team prevented me from having permanent serious spinal cord damage.
in Williamsport, PA |
I was extremely impressed with not only his experience and expertise, but his interest and willingness to help me. From the moment I met him, I knew I wouldn't trust anyone else to handle my case.
in Philadelphia, PA |
I came to Dr. Vaccaro after I went to physical therapy twice, had epidural injections, and taking anti inflammatory and pain medications every day for about a year. Within a few weeks or so after surgery I could stop taking all pain medications and I can now enjoy every day pain free. My only regret is that I didn't have the surgery sooner. The Staff is fantastic from the front desk to the X-Ray Techs, to Mila the PA. Thank you to all of you!
in phila pa |
Always a pleasure. Dr Vaccaro is the most compassionate and professional and caring Dr. He's the best!
Narberth, PA |
Dr. Vaccaro is a true professional. He is skillful, caring and compassionate. I could not have asked for a better experience.
in Hatfield |
Run, don't walk away from this man.
Have you seen Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
Are you Dr. Vaccaro?