Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD

Orthopedic SurgeryMaleAge 61

Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD is an Orthopedic Surgery Specialist in Philadelphia, PA and has over 36 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from Georgetown University School Of Medicine in 1987. He is affiliated with medical facilities Jefferson Methodist Hospital and Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. His office accepts new patients.

Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD

Rothman Orthopaedics

925 Chestnut St Fl 5 Philadelphia, PA 19107

Compare with other Orthopedic Surgery Specialists

Compare Dr. Vaccaro with our nearby Orthopedic Surgery Specialists at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.

Make an appointment at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital today at (215) 395-9750.

Filter by
Provider Ratings

These providers are on the medical staff of Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.

Dr. Vaccaro's Reviews

Likelihood to recommend Dr. Vaccaro

Cervical Spine - ACDF Surgery
I had chronic neck pain, stiffness and shoulder pain for over five years and saw several doctors tried several rounds of physical therapy, spinal injections nothing helped. After spending fifteen minutes with Dr. Vaccaro I realized I had hope of being pain free one day. He was very frank and said you are not ready for surgery yet, try some other more targeted PT and if things don't get better see me again. Low and behold a year later I saw him again and he recommended cervical disk replacement w/fusion and nerve decompression. In that year span I did my research on Dr. Vaccaro and the procedure and I was confident and felt reassured I found the best. Also, Dr. Vaccaro's support staff is one the best of all the doctors I have ever gone to!
Davikha Dasani – Oct 06, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
Doctor Alexander Vaccaro has been named the number one spinal surgeon in the world in 2021! I am a patient of his and I agree with this 100%! I am writing this review and sharing my story to help anyone that has experienced something similar to what I went through. I am currently 52 years old, and I was a pediatric nurse for 19 years and never had any spinal or back problems in these 19 years of nursing, like most people think all nurses do. I experienced a lumbar spinal injury caused by trauma in December of 2016, not work related. When this injury occurred, I went to my PCP for referrals to help me. I have had X-rays, physical therapy, MRI's, a very painful EMG, was seen by chiropractors was put on anti-inflammatory medications had steroid injections under anesthesia and was seen by many spinal specialists that were rated" five stars". I was seen by neurologist, rheumatologists, name it... None of this worked! I was in such severe pain every day and felt that no one could properly diagnose me. I was actually told that medical science has not caught up to me - in my opinion that meant, they had no idea what to do with me for how to properly diagnose me. I went to the emergency room on several occasions due to my severe pain numbness and tingling in my knees, legs, feet, back and also experience swelling. People started to think that this was all in my head and I was exaggerating my pain, I still do not understand this to this day! My family and friends would say to me that I've been seen by numerous five-star doctors and had every single treatment available, maybe I need to see a therapist -this infuriated me! I knew that one day I would find the right spinal Dr even if that meant to travel the world. I was listening to my body and nothing else, always trust your body. It's never wrong. I believe everyone's spinal injury is different. I also believe based off my experience that all of the doctors I've seen stereotyped me, refused to look outside of the box and to look at me as an individual not as all of their previous patients. Which is why I was not properly diagnosed. During these four years of being misdiagnosed I continue to work as a nurse. I was slowly paralyzing myself. I had nerve damage in my knees, legs and feet. Doctors could stick pins on the bottom of my feet and parts of my ankles and I would not flinch I could not feel it. I lost all of my knee reflexes. Patellar reflex. It was getting worse. I started to become incontinent periodically, this was it enough was enough, I had to find the right doctor. The only person that believed in me and supported me was my husband. We were both determined to find the right doctor to heal me. One day I sat in my yard for hours googling the best spinal surgeons in world and this is where I found Doctor Alexander Vaccaro. I could relate to so many of his patients reviews online and how he helped them. I told my husband I think I found him but I'm not sure he's in our health insurance network. He didn't care My husband picked up the phone and made an appointment immediately for me. We were scheduled for the following week, which required additional MRIs to bring to him. On the day of our appointment, within the first 2 minutes of meeting doctor Vaccaro and after he reviewed my MRIs on his computer screen, and pointing to my lumbar spine, L5 and S1 area and said," here is your issue right here"! He stated, this is the cause of your pain, how come no one has found this? My husband immediately replied because they're not as smart as you. He said that I needed to schedule surgery with him immediately and need to stop working ASAP! This can and will be fixed with a T -lift surgery, which required putting screws and plates in my lumbar spine. I am coming up on two years' post-surgery and my only regret is not finding Doctor Alexander Vaccaro sooner. I will be forever grateful to him because if I had not found him, I would be paralyzed and, in a wheelchair! The nerve damage that I had in my knees and feet did not return but that was to be expected. I no longer cry in pain every day. I am doing much better. I will never be 100% because of the four years I was misdiagnosed. If this review can help anyone that is going through anything similar do not hesitate to pick up the phone and call him immediately don't waste your time with other five-star doctors go to the best, Dr Vaccaro, the #1 spinal surgeon in the world. Linda Calabrese
Linda Calabrese – Aug 22, 2022
Outstanding
Dr. Vaccaro & his team are outstanding. Short wait times. X-ray tech was patient &answered questions. His Fellow was patient, thorough, & answered questions during my assessment. Nurse/techs were efficient. Dr. Vaccaro was patient, answered questions, explained each area of MRI concerns, reasons for CT testing, & a plan for follow-up. Need for additional surgery.
Jena Cavanagh – Jun 17, 2022
Spinal Fusion Surgery
Had Spinal Fusion surgery done by Dr Vaccaro @ RothmanOrtho Procedure went smooth as silk. Would definitely recommend Jefferson/Rothman Ortho and Dr Vaccaro to anyone in need of spinal surgery.
Mark Tomasetti – Jun 16, 2022
Only 5 star to go to top Please speak up
I am speaking for my father who had a very bad experience with Dr. Vaccaro would like others to speak out if they did also so the admin can see that it wasn't just a bad day or a difficult surgery . Communication was horrible before the surgery in May 2019 about his meds until I drove 45 minutes to get an answer. Then my dad was told the surgery would relieve his pain and help his neck and give him a few years of normalcy. Instead my dad left dependent on oxygen, in 6 months the screws started popping out of his back, and was in more pain. At the follow up visit Dr was arrogant, talked over us not to us, wouldn't answer questions and made rude comments.Dad beat his cancer but after the rudeness and horrible surgery he refused any more drs. In February 2022 he gave up on the little life he had left, refused to eat, and passed away. He was a good man. I believe my dad would still be alive today. Please stick together and let our voices be heard before it happens to someone else.
  • Long wait times
  • Appointment was rushed
  • Didn't listen or answer questions
  • Didn't explain conditions well
  • Didn't trust the provider's decisions
Denise Lewis – May 18, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
There is no better spine surgeon in the world. Dr Vacarro cares about his patients, talks to his patients at their level, explains himself well and never cuts you short on time. Thank you
Randy – Feb 03, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
Dr. Vaccaro is every bit as good as his reputation. A gifted surgeon with a pleasant disposition. He performed my lumbar fusion.
  • Long wait times
Kelly E. – Jan 23, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
One of the best surgeon I’ve ever met. Very caring, takes time and explains everything in detail.
Kpalani – Jan 20, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
Unbelievably successful back surgery to remove a chunk of disk material that was wedged against a main nerve root in my back. It was probably a lay-up for Dr. Vaccaro, but he made me feel like a VIP every time I saw him.
Bernie Ryder – Jan 10, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
One of the best doctors I’ve ever met
Dennis Korzelius – Jan 10, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
Great experience at the Rothman Institute. Every person on the staff that I came in contact with was friendly, courteous and professional. From check-in to the time I saw Dr. Vacarro was a perfectly tuned process. Dr. Vacarro was excellent. I never felt rushed. Dr. Vacarro took his time to explain in detail my situation. He was clear and precise in his explanation and my options were discussed in the same manner.  I highly recommend Dr. Vacarro and the Rothman Institute
Steve Z – Jan 06, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
After being rejected for cervical spin surgery for a pinched nerve indicated by an EMG (nerve conduction test) by my insurance comoany, I was left with no recourse but to suffer pain and weakness. So I thought...until a year later when I was urged by my brother (an M.D.) to get a secind opinion from Dr. Vacarro. Dr Vacarro saw the problem clearly in my MRI and got me approved, covered and "cleaned up" my pretty bad cervical spine with a double discectomy and fusion. I have no more nerve pain! There is understandably some muscle pain in my neck, but it is a fraction of the severe nerve pain that limited my lifestyle. I am delighted with the results. As far as I am concerned he performed brilliantly what no other surgeon was willing to try.
Ms Phyllis Williams – Jan 06, 2022
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
Very caring! Great surgeon!
Linda – Dec 16, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
Dr. Vaccaro has performed two surgeries on my back, one cervical surgery in 2017 and a lumbar spinal fusion in September 2021. Dr. Vacarro is a highly skilled surgeon. His professionalism was outstanding. He took the time to explain the procedures and was readily available to answer any questions. He provided post-surgical feedback within hours of both surgeries. His staff of physician assistant and other medical staff were consistently available to answer any questions and to provide both pre-operative and post-operative support. Although Dr. Vacarro is responsible for the operation of the entire Rothman Institute, he took a sincere personal interest in my case and well-being.
Ed Wade – Nov 24, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
Not fused, had PLIF L4/5 by Dr. Vaccaro and team August 2017. I was told everything looked great at all my follow ups, not once was I told my vertebrae never fused. I’m back 4 years later with sciatica down both legs and sharp stinging pain in my back. I’ve never been without pain. Worst experience of my life.
Eileen O – Nov 06, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
Dr. Alex Vaccaro is a brilliant surgeon, extremely professional, quite personable; his staff is amazing! Takes time to explain things, resolve problems. We are VERY grateful for his experience, dedication and wide range of knowledge. Both me and my husband Bernie Parent have undergone surgery-and we HIGHLY recommend Dr. Vaccaro/Rothman Orthopaedic Institute. In Bernie’s words “Dr. Alex Vaccaro is a gift from GOD!”
Bernie Parent & Gini Parent – Oct 09, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
Dr Vaccaro performed 2 spinal surgeries this past summer impacting the cervical and lumbar sections of my spine. He is a gifted, caring surgeon. His thirst for knowledge and his desire to further hone his skills at all times despite his accomplishments and accolades over the years is a blessing to any potential patients that cross his path. Dr Vaccaro was very thoughtful in addressing my diagnosis and developing a care plan for me. He took the time without rushing as part of my initial consult. I felt very comfortable with his care plan . I felt even more comfortable when I knew I had him at the helm in the Operating Room An added benefit was the care extended thru Rothman Orthopedics specialty hospital and the care team that supports his efforts I recommend Dr Vaccaro without hesitation and I am grateful to have had him in my corner during this trying time I’m on the road to recovery thanks in great part to this very talented individual
Ken Sullivan – Oct 07, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
Dr. Vaccaro was friendly, caring, immediately knowledgeable, encouraging, and there is nothing like Brendan - he’s over the top fabulous!! Dr. Vaccaro’s model should include another PA, possibly removing the need for a nurse as well - something to talk about if anyone cares to call me. 215-370-0194
David Shabot – Sep 12, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
Extremely competent, knowledgeable and empathetic. A good listener. I would recommend him to my best friend.
George – Jul 22, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?
Dr Vaccaro was very personal and answered all my questions. My back surgery was 8 weeks ago and very challenging. I have seen improvement each week and very satisfied I selected Dr Vaccaro.
David S. – Jul 15, 2021
×Post a ResponseAre you Dr. Alexander Vaccaro, MD?

How was your experience with Dr. Vaccaro?