Dr. Alexander Hughes, MD

Dr. Alexander Hughes, MD

Orthopedic Surgery  |
Male
Dr. Alexander Hughes, MD is an orthopedic surgery doctor who practices in New York, NY. He has been practicing for 14 years.

523 E 72nd St

New York, NY 10021

• Connecticare
  • EmblemHealth
  • Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Health Net
  • Locals (any local)

Learn about Dr. Hughes

See how frequently Dr. Hughes performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Scoliosis
Back Pain
Low Back Pain

Dr. Hughes's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Hughes does not have any board certifications listed.

• Adhesive Capsulitis
  • Arthritis of the Elbow
  • Ataxia
  • Baker’s Cyst
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Chondrocalcinosis
  • Coccygeal Pain
  • Coccyx or Sacrum Fracture
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Foot Sprain
  • Gout
  • Hand Fracture
  • Leg Fracture Above Knee (incl. Hip)
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture

• Dural Repair or Other Spinal Cord Repair
  • Excision of Scapula, Clavicle, Rib, or Sternum
  • Knee Replacement
  • Knee Surgery
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Neuroplasty
  • Spinal Compression Fracture Repair
  • Spinal Cord Stimulation
  • Spinal Fusion
  • Spinal Nerve Block
  • Spinal Reconstructive Surgery for Deformities

No malpractice history found for New York.

• Vanderbilt University
    Medical School | Graduated 2003

Dr. Hughes has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Hughes has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Hughes does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Hughes and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Hughes' Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Hughes to family and friends
4.1
Dr. Hughes' Performance
Den Hughes has given me my life back. After three years of constant sciatica and a failed microdiscectomy, another surgeon told me my nerve was permanently damaged and I would never be without pain. Given my age he wouldn't even attempt a spinal fusion. Dr Hughes disagreed, and given the extent of my pain I was able to schedule my surgery only 3 days after my initial consult. 2 months out I am almost entirely pain free. He is kind, caring, and professional. Worth the 2 week consult wait.
in New York |
I was recommended to see this doctor because of my severe conditions and he basically brushed me off andreviewed one of my mri and not the rest where im in severe pain and because of the fact its workers comp related. In the beginning they promise to fix my problem but then said i cant do anything for you...waiste of time ..
in Philadelphia, PA |
I had a serious problem that was confounding my local MD's. Dr. Hughes made the correct diagnosis and then fixed the problem. One thing that I truly appreciated was the lengths that he went to make sure that I (and my family members) understood the underlying problem and the surgery that fixed it. I'm forever grateful.
in Bronx, NY |
OK My Husband had spine surgery with Dr. Hughes about 3 yeats now and he's is about 99.9% better than he went in. This Doctor is GREAT!!! I can't find words to explain or to let people know that if you have or is suffering from any type of severe back, neck, leg any kind of pain that can be fixed by spine surgery please stop living with the pain and go see this Doctor. Even if is just to get his opinion or consult DO IT!!! I live with my husband and saw how much he was suffering.
in New York |
He's incredible! Spoke to my family in great detail and answered their questions. He is very skillful and smart. Only negative was communication. He didn't know-because of my referral, I didn't know what my situation was, After, he understood I didn't know what happened it was great.He explained all & diagnosed a missed condition.He fixed all my concerns- degenerative and pain in the future. I could have hugged him. Highly reccommend to anyone. Not warm & fuzzy-GREAT surgeon!
Amazing Doctor I feel like my regular self
in Woodbridge, NJ |
Dr. Hughes is an outstanding surgeon. He took the time to explain the surgery and answered all our questions. He was also great in the follow-up visits. A very skilled and caring doctor.
in New York, NY |
I first met Dr Hughes in Oct 2015 and in one visit he gave my diagnosis and recommended a very clear path of treatment. I had a lower lumbar laminectomy from L3 to S1 in Dec. the surgery relieved 99% of my pain in lower back, hips, amid legs. And regained full bladder control. I'm currently going to physical therapy to regain balance and strength. But I expect a full recovery. Thank you Dr. Hughes!!!
in States islandNew York |
Great
in Brookhaven, NY |
A wonderful disposition. Clear and precise with all information. The best doctor I could have ever asked for.
in Dayton, NJ |
Dr. Hughes was wonderful. He's so nice! He explained the procedure thoroughly. My Lower extremity pain was gone after surgery. I would highly recommend dr Hughes to family and friends.
in New York, NY |
I'm 1 year from lumbar fusion with Dr. Hughes and I'm thrilled. It took me a while to get my appointment with him but once I did, everything made sense to me. He was confident but realistic. He is very technical and talking to him is very different (in a good way) than talking to my other doctors. I have recommend a couple of work friends to him (I work in construction) and they have had good experiences too.
in Nyack, NY |
I'm following up with Dr. Hughes today about 6months after revision surgery. I was several years with a problem in my neck from a previous surgery. Things became even scarier when I developed pressure on my spinal cord and worsening symptoms. Dr. Hughes diagnosed the problem clearly for the first time. I'm pleased with my outcome. Everything from the hospital to Dr. Hughes office has been very pleasant. I feel that this is the best place and I'm glad I was referred here by my doctor.
in Englewood Cliffs, NJ |
Dr. Hughes is the best. I was in and out and back to work in a few days (like he said). He's realistic in his approach and I was always treated with respect by both him and the office staff. I had a minimally invasive surgery for a pinched nerve. My colleague had a bigger more complex surgery that took longer to recover from but is now doing well.
in West Palm Beach, FL |
Very technically oriented and thorough-- Dr. Hughes and HSS got to the bottom of my problems. I have sent many people from Florida to him. He will honestly tell you whether he can help or not. In my case, I'm thrilled with my outcome. I had surgery with him 5 years ago and then again 6months ago for a different problem.
in Syracuse |
I saw a sign to 'rate my surgeon' so I am! Dr. Hughes is amazing. I had several opinions before seeing him. The diferences are stark. Dr. Hughes explains things in a no nonsense manner. You sense at HSS that he is at the forefront of spine surgery. He has an engineering background and his involved in many research projects (I participated in one). I couldn't be happier with him, his team, or with my outcome.
in Albany |
He is a great surgeon!! I went to him for both my neck and low back-- he operated on both areas over the course of a year and solved both problems. Both he and his staff have been there for me. The difference between him and the other surgeons I was seeing (local to me) is very significant. I highly recommend him!!
in Hudson, NY |
I came to Dr. Hughes after several failed surgeries at a different hospital. For the first time in 10 years I felt that I understood what was happening in my spine. He gave me hope and with confidence said that the problem could be fixed. He explained this to me in a no nonsense way. He deals with a lot of complex and failed surgeries and is often able to reverse problems previously set in motion (my friend also had surgery with him). I should have come to him long ago. I'm recovering well
in Woodstock, NY |
He was professional, kind and caring. I was in pain for decades, could not walk and was not functioning, but did not trust any back surgery until I met Dr. Hughes. He did ( 2005)extensive spinal surgeries on me (2) and I am walking, bending and enjoying life better than before. I have absolutely no pain. He is the best surgeon.
Have you seen Dr. Alexander Hughes, MD?
Are you Dr. Hughes?

See our Orthopedic Surgery Specialists at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center

Visit Dr. Hughes

• Health Net
    Medicare Advantage PFFS
  • Locals (any local)
  • MagnaCare
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • Oxford Health Plans