Dr. Alexander Croog, MD

Dr. Alexander Croog, MD

Orthopedic Hand Surgery  |

Dr. Alexander Croog, MD is an orthopedic hand surgery doctor who practices in Fairfax, VA. He is 43 years old and has been practicing for 16 years. Read his story

OrthoVirginia

8501 Arlington Blvd Ste 400

Fairfax, VA 22031

• Anthem
  • CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield
  • Coventry Health Care of Virginia

Learn about Dr. Croog

See how frequently Dr. Croog performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Trigger Finger
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Osteoarthritis of Hand or Wrist

Dr. Croog's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Croog's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Croog "Originally from Rochester, New York, Dr. Alexander earned a BA cum laude in Psychology from Harvard University before studying medicine at the University of Virginia School of Medicine. There, he was named to the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society. Dr. Croog completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at New York University/Hospital for Joint Diseases in New York City under the leadership of Dr. Joseph Zuckerman. He then served as a Mary S. Stern Hand and Upper Extremity Fellow under Dr. Peter Stern at the University of Cincinnati."

• Orthopedic Hand Surgery

• Hand Surgery
    Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*
    Accredited by: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery*

• De Quervain's Disease
  • Dupuytren's Contracture
  • Fracture of Hand (incl. Fingers)
  • Hand Fracture

• Hand or Wrist Tendon Transfer
  • Trigger Finger Release
  • Wrist Fusion
  • Wrist Replacement

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

• Harvard University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1996
  • University Of Virginia / Main Campus
    Medical School | Graduated 2001
  • Hospital For Joint Diseases Orthopaedic Institute
    Residency Hospital | Completed 2006
  • Mary S Stern Fellowship (Hand Surgery)
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 2007

Dr. Croog has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Croog does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Croog and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Croog's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Croog to family and friends
3.6
Dr. Croog Says:

Thank you for providing feedback.  It is extremely valuable so that I can strive to improve the patient's experience and the care that I provide.  If you have a concern or complaint, I would love the opportunity to understand and speak with you further about it.  In that case, please call 703-810-5217 extension 2312 so that we can discuss.  Again, thank you.

Dr. Croog's Performance
in Oakton, VA |
Dr Croog was available, supportive and extremely professional during a very difficult time
Ft Washington, MD |
Great experience with Dr. Croog when trying to get to the bottom of the issues I was having with my right arm and hand. He was very thorough in his examination and recommended a much needed MRI. With the debilitating pain now under control, I am pleased with my visit and quality of care.
in Centreville, VA |
Saw in April 2017 after my primary suggested him for something he suspected called "trigger thumb' which I had never heard of before. Made appointment, no delay, seen on time, checkout was seamless. Dr. Croog explained what 'trigger thumb' was, complete with a visual aid. Gave me a cortisone shot and a few days later I had the use of my thumb back.
Dr. Croog spent a good amount of time with me and answered any questions I had. For a simple fracture he definitely gets the job done, if you have something more complicated you are better off with another doctor. Be sure to get the first appointment of the day if you can to avoid long waits
Vienna, VA |
Dr. Croog performed surgery on my elbow that had caused severe pain for years. I was shocked at the loss of pain within two weeks of the surgery. Dr. Croog explained the entire procedure and he was always helpful and informative at each follow up appointment. My results are amazing.
in Arlington, VA |
Dr Croog scheduled my surgery quickly and did a great job with the procedure on my wrist.
in Fairfax, VA |
Dr. Croog performed surgery on my wrist after several months of wearing a cast to correct the issue, with no success. I previously went to other doctors prior to being referred to him. The surgery was very successful and couldn't happier with his staff and his guidance and candid advice and expectations. I will only return to him when/if any other injuries occur in the future. Thanks for everything!!
in Fairfax VA |
Dr. Croog is well versed in explaining technical medical conditions in layman's terms. He confirms that the patient understands the condition and treatment. I found him to be especially reassuring before and after surgery. The doctor and his staff are very patient focused.
in Falls Church, VA |
Years ago I pulled a tendon in my right pinky, and while it was healing through PT, I fell and broke a bone in my right hand. Dr. Croog gave me the least confining binding while the bone healed. Last year I had deQuervains tenosynovitis in my left hand. He performed surgery on it - relatively painless, quick recovery, minor scar. Throughout, Dr. Croog communicated effectively and was genuinely concerned about my well-being. Best hand surgeon in this area!
in Arlington, VA |
Dr. Croog treated my 10-year old son's elbow fracture. He was very patient and thorough. My son is a little league player who developed a sudden pain in his pitching arm. Nothing jumped out on the initial Xray but an MRI indicated elbow fracture. Dr. Croog put together an effective plan including a short-term cast to keep the elbow still, physical therapy, periodic progress assessments, and pitching technique training. He also talked with my son's coaches to ensure they were were in synch.
in Arlington, VA |
We brought our 9 year-old son to see Dr. Croog after he had his finger smashed in a door. His finger was fine, but it turns out he had broken his ankle. This only came up because Dr. Croog made him feel comfortable through his manner and asked if there was anything else wrong. There was no swelling or outward sign of injury, just pain. Dr. Croog took the time to listen and uncovered the issue. They did x-rays right then and put him in a cast. The staff at the office were fantastic.
in Arlington, VA |
Dr. Croog is an excellent doctor and took great care of both me (when I broke my wrist) and my son (when he broke his finger). He clearly explained the fractures and what the location meant, as well as our options for healing. He very patiently answered our questions and listened carefully to our concerns. Both my son and I recovered quickly and have full use of our previously broken bones! I would highly recommend Dr. Croog to anyone needing a hand surgeon.
in Arlington va |
Dr Croog provided exceptional care when dealing with my thumb injury (table saw mishap). He answered all my questions and followed up with me by phone prior to me leaving on an overseas trip to make sure all was as well as it could be. I still having some healing ahead of me, and would not hesitate recommending him to anyone seeking his expertise.
in Mclean, VA |
Dr. Croog is awesome! He operated on my hand (carpal tunnel release surgery) and it surgery was a success. loved how quick the whole process (from initial consultation to surgery to post-op) was. he is a fountain of info and he is quite patient with all the questions I had. I would recommend him with no reservations! :D
in Fairfax Station VA |
Takes a steady and progressive approach to solving the problem, rather than jumping right to surgery like many doctors do. Examination is focused and thorough, and options are clearly explained as well as consequences and probable outcomes. Have already recommended his services to others.
Fairfax, VA |
Dr Croog is an excellent surgeon. He listens and comes up with recommendations to treat the situation. I have seen him for 2 seperate matters. Both resulted in positive outcomes.
in Arlington, VA |
Quick service. Good advice. Everything was very smooth. Dr. Croog is great with patients--taking time to explain (especially to the child patient) what is going on, and how they need to treat the injury.
in Arlington, VA |
I've had two hand surgeries with Dr. Croog and both times I was taken exceptional care of and could not have had a better experience - I have recommended him to everyone that is in need of this type of specialist.
in Arlington |
Very happy with Dr Croog. He did a great job of explaining the injury and treatment plan. Highly recommend!
in Arlington, VA |
Dr. Croog was very clear with his diagnosis and recommendations. He took into account my particular life situation and what was a need vs want - there were lumps that needed to be removed and lumps that would have been nice to be removed. I was very pleased with the results from his surgical procedure. Unfortunately, I have to have another minor procedure done. Dr. Croog was my first choice and he will be performing it. I have complete confidence in the outcome.
in Bethesda md |
He was professional and courteous and seemed to know a lot
in Arlington, VA |
We have had nothing but amazing experiences with Dr. Croog. He always takes great care of my family. I have recommended him to many friends who have had equally positive experiences.
in Reston, Va. |
Dr Croog was in a hurry to get me out of the appointment. He was walking out of the door in the middle of a question I was asking him. He was finished and "my time of 7 minutes was over... His demeanor was rude and he was the worst Doctor I have encountered my entire life There are many choices, so, do yourself a favor and go to another physician.
in Alexandria, VA |
He barely spent 5 minutes with me. Didn't really show concern about my mangled finger. Pawned me off to assistants that barely looked 20 years old and who clearly were brand new at assisting patients with fitting bandage. Same thing happened on the 2nd appointment. He really didn't show any concern at all or explain the injury (in detail) or how it was going to return to normal (which it has not and its been now nearly 12 weeks). I am going to look for someone else.
Falls Church, VA |
Useless. Did not even make an attempt to help me.
Bristow, VA |
Knowledge doctor but sometimes less than adequate explanations and horrid wait times. Appointments would frequently take several hours while waiting in an exam room for almost two (happened twice). It's hard to feel like your physician is taking your case seriously when they make you wait for 2 hours and diagnose something in 10 minutes then leave. I obtained multiple opinions.
Have you seen Dr. Alexander Croog, MD?
Are you Dr. Croog?