Dr. Alexander Abkin, MD

Dr. Alexander Abkin, MD

Bariatric Surgery  |
Dr. Alexander Abkin, MD is a bariatric surgery doctor who practices in Florham Park, NJ. He is 54 years old and has been practicing for 31 years.

83 Hanover Rd Ste 190

Florham Park, NJ 07932

• Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.
  • Amerihealth
  • Consumer Health Network
  • CoreSource
  • Elderplan

Learn about Dr. Abkin

See how frequently Dr. Abkin performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Esophageal Surgery
Obesity
Sleeve Gastrectomy
high

Dr. Abkin's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

This content was provided by Dr. Abkin "Your WEIGHT is over! Please join our winning team of surgeon, dietician, behavioral specialists, nurses and successful patients to get your weight-related medical problems under control and let me show you how easy it is."

• Bariatric Surgery

• Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
  • Appendectomy
  • Appendectomy, Laparoscopic
  • Appendectomy, Open
  • Bariatric Surgery (Weight Loss Surgery)
  • Bowel Surgery
  • Stomach Surgery
  • Umbilical or Ventral Hernia Repair, Laparoscopic
  • Vagotomy
  • Ventral Herniorrhaphy

No malpractice history found for New Jersey.

• First Leningrad I P Pavlov Medical Institute

• NJ TOP DOCS, 2008
  • NJ TOP DOCS, 2011
  • NJ TOP DOCS, 2007
  • NJ TOP DOCS, 2009

Dr. Abkin has no media or publications listed.

• Russian

Dr. Abkin does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Abkin and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Abkin's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Abkin to family and friends
4.3
Dr. Abkin's Performance
Rochelle Park, NJ |
The only point given is for the doctor as he was very nice and took the time to explain things to me. His staff however was completely disorganized and unprofessional. I was asked to get all medical notes from previous surgeries along with insurance documents from those surgeries. That was not easy for me to get but I did it and filled out the patient paperwork. I arrive and had to wait an hour and half to be seen. The staff did not call to get my test results nor did they read documents request
queensbury, ny |
Dr. Abkin is the best! He is so kind,compassionate, and knowledgeable. His entire office staff is wonderful. I highly recommend this unbelievably talented team.
in Sayreville, NJ |
As a patient of Dr. Abkin's for nearly ten years I highly recommend him and his staff to anyone considering weight loss surgery. The staff of Advanced Laparoscopic Surgeons of Morris is truly committed to improving your health by providing outstanding surgical experience along with a solid foundation of support once you leave the operating room. The doctors, nurses, therapists and nutritionists are there for you from the start of your journey to your ultimate goal of life long maintenance.
Manahawkin, NJ |
I met with Dr. Abkin towards the end of 2014. I was emotional and nervous. After a previous consult with another surgeon and a horrible conversation with my primary I was geared up to fight for the surgery. The staff were beyond friendly and helpful. Due to work schedule and type of work they communicated with me via emails instead of phone calls I couldn't make our answer during the day. Dr abkin asked questions straight to the point about why I wanted surgery. He understood my desire, made me
West Orange, NJ |
Dr Akbin's office made this choice in life very easy and painlesss. I came in for my consultation and same day set up my surgery and the staff gives you all the steps needed to take to get insurance approval and nutrition guidence needed before and stern surgery. They couldn't have made it any easier and happy with my post surgery results with Dr Abkin.
Dr. Abkin tells it like it is. He can give you the tool but it's up to you to do the work. He spends time with you to explain the surgeries, the risks, the diet, what he expects from you, and answers any and all questions. His staff is great and there is always someone there to answer any questions or problems you may have.
in Boonton, NJ |
Dr. Abkin and his staff are the best! Both professional and compassionate. They provide you with every tool to succeed in this journey. Online and in person support groups. A dietitian who is amazing. Everyone is spectacular and I would recommend them to anyone who decides to take this journey. They are with you every step of the way!
Edison, NJ |
I would highly recommend Dr. Abkin. He is definitely top is his profession. He has exceptional bedside manner. He answered all questions me and my husband had. He and his surgical staff were excellent the day of my surgery. I couldn't have asked for a better outcome and am pleased with my results thus far!
in Long valley,nj |
Great surgeon- caring and compassionate! Staff is great too! If you are seriously thinking of WLS, Dr Abkin is top notch!
in Netcong, NJ |
I was extremely nervous and Dr Abkin was extremely kind and understanding. I found out that my insurance would not cover the surgery. Knowing that I was paying out of pocket for the surgery made it that more important to find an experienced doctor that had a supportive staff for the many trials and pitfalls that can happen before, during and after the procedure. I am almost at the two year mark. I have lost over 110 lbs and feel great. Thank you Dr Abkin and staff for everything.
in Dover, NJ |
I first met with Dr Abkin in June of 2016. I had my surgery in October 2016. From my first appointment with Dr Abkin, I felt confident in his knowledge and experience. He answered all of my questions and put me at ease. I could not have asked for a better experience. My surgery went off perfectly and I experienced very little pain. Just minor discomfort. I was driving on the second day after surgery. My only regret is that I didn't meet with Dr Abkin sooner.
in East Hanover, NJ |
It had been five years since I had my lapband procedure. The entire journey has been a remarkable experience. I have lost 50 pounds and have kept it off. I no longer take medication for high blood pressure. I would highly recommend anyone to contact Dr. Abkin if you are considering bariatric surgey as a means for weight loss. John DiGiovachino
in Rockaway, NJ |
On January 24, 2017, I had gastric sleeve surgery. Like pretty much everyone else, I was a combination of emotions- excitement and trepidation . I had done my homework and based on my extensive digging, I felt that Dr. Abkin and Dr. Jawed were my very best choice for this procedure. Not once during the entire process was I proven wrong. The doctors and their staff were aways professional and compassionate. They took the time to explain things to me and to make me feel safe and comfortable.
Maplewood, NJ |
THIS HAS CHANGED my LIFE!! I am 10 weeks post op and 53lbs down, off all prescription medications. Run don't walk to have a consultation.
in Budd Lake, NJ |
Dr. Abkin has been a blessing for me , not only has he done a Gastric bypass revision but he saved my life from Ulcer surgery that I underwent in November 2016. His staff and practice are very professional and care for their patients. Thank you again ????
Florham Park, NJ |
Excellent Doctor and i was impressed with the whole Process at this office. I had started at another practice, and found out at the end they didn't take my insurance. I then called Dr Abkin's Practice and they did a thorough check of my benefits and advised me up front what my responsibilities would be. Insurance is so confusing... thank you to their staff for making it clear. Thanks To Dr Abkin and Dr Jawed for doing the surgery and changing my life ... already down 50 pounds!
Florham Park, NJ |
Excellent doctor, really caring staff. Support groups on line and in person, Dietitian on staff is amazing. Billing was very patient with me and helpful when my insurer was not paying the claims at first.
Jersey City, NJ |
The doctor and the staff are wonderful but the billar she is rude she's not sympathetic she doesn't care about the patience only cares about herself. as a patient we are going through different stages in this whole process after surgery and and she doesn't really care about what we are going through. I know when you have CareCredit you could use any care care provider but she told me that I was unable to use my Care Credit to pay my balance. She was very disrespectful rude and not sympathetic
in NJ |
Dr. Abkin and Dr. Jawed are dedicated high skill surgeons. Dr. Abkin saved my life 10 years ago with a gastric bypass surgery and again last month. After 10 years I had an ulcer and Dr. Abkin with Dr. Jawed and the robot in Morristown, again saved me. This practice knows what they are doing, every step of the way from teaching nutrition to the administrative staff, this is the group of people you want on your team! I will gladly talk to anyone on the fence about my experiences with this office
in Staten Island, NY |
Horrible experience went to get a ballon placed in the end of August scheduling was fine procedure went fine or so I thought I ended up having complications and someone I trusted and put faith in this doctor let me down couldn't get intouch with him his office employees are horrible and rude and I've been fighting for months with him and his office manager for the money they promised to return I would have never went through with this doctor ignoring I knew he was so heartless and not caring
in Flanders, NJ |
I had gastric bypass, with Dr. Abkin as my surgeon. He gave me the opportunity to use the surgery as a tool for losing weight that was holding me back from living my best life. I am so happy! I can move more easily, breathe better, and can fit into cute clothes! Thank you Dr. Abkin!
in East Brunswick , NJ |
I have had a great experience with Dr. Abkin and Dr. Botvinov. I went into my surgery with all the necessary information. They were honest about what to expect. All my questions were answered.
in Livingston, NJ |
Dr. Abkin is hand's down the best bariatric surgeon in NJ! His team is awesome and he has unsurpassed skills. He has the best bedside manner and everyone raves about how great he is. He is superlative!
in Randolph, NJ |
I had surgery with Dr. Abkin and had a filter placed before the bypass several years ago. Everything went great and Dr. Abkin is an amazing surgeon with an amazing bedside manner and amazing skill. I am so happy with everything he did for me.
in Randolph, NJ |
Dr. Abkin is amazing. Not only is he a 1st class surgeon, he does not have simple office staff he has a team!! Everyone from the desk all the way thru the recovery room are 100%professional. I would challenge anyone to find a finer Surgeon.
in Wayne, Nj |
Dr. Abkin and his staff a wonderful! They are very knowledgeable and everyone takes time with you to ensure you feel comfortable with your treatment plan.
Dover, NJ |
Dr Abkin is fully knowledgeable of all bariatric procedures for weight loss. He requires a long checklist of other doctors that you must see visits to support the decision to have weight loss surgery. His seminars on metabolic disorders are very good. He has a great support staff (dietitian and group support meetings) to assist you after surgery. He is the only NJ doctor certified to do the new procedure for weight loss (gastric balloon), which, for me, is another indicator of his ability.
in Hopatcong, NJ |
Dr Abkin is talented, caring and skillful. You can trust him with your life.
in West Caldwell, NJ |
Beyond pleased with every aspect of my treatment and care with Dr. Abkin and his staff. They are all amazing!
in Hackettstown, NJ |
Thank you Dr. Abkin! Two years ago I made the choice to get my life and my health back. All the great things I heard about you didn't do you justice. You were all that and more. You cared and were with me every step of the way and even two years later, you're still with me. I had type 2 diabetes. I left the hospital the day after my surgery never needing another insulin shot or pill. I lost so much weight and lost the diabetes. I haven't been this healthy or this active in 20 years. I'm enjoy
in Wanaque, NJ |
honestly he is sweet &u know when u 1st see someone that you get comfortable to,he told me to check sleeve & that it helps get 60% of diabetes & my weight to & that its much better than the lapband i was planning to have my surgery was on Nov 17th 2015 at 11.am & i was out home at 3.45 pm from his clinic i was so scared at first but it was so simple he was such careing he & his beautiful stuff thank you all so much i highly recommend Dr Abkins clinic he's the best thank you for saving my life
Morristown, NJ |
Dr. Abkin is a great surgeon and he really cares about his patients. I would recommend him to anyone for weight loss surgery!
Hackettstown, NJ |
Best decision I have ever made was following a friends recommendation to see Dr Abkin. He has changed my life. The support of his staff has been wonderful. Highly recommend
in Harrison, NJ |
I would highly recommend Dr. Abkin and had surgery in June of 2015. I had a history that included a massive bilateral PE. I was unsure if he would even take me on as a patient. He took the time to address all of my concerns prior to my surgery and had me consult with a vascular surgeon who implanted a filter in my artery that was removed a few months later. At follow up appointments, he always took time with me and addressed all of my concerns. I am very happy and would do it all over again
in Rockaway, NJ |
His office staff was friendly, courteous and professional. They made me feel very comfortable. As a surgeon, I would trust Dr. Abkin again. I know he's the best!
in Blairstown, NJ |
I am so happy I chose Dr. Abkin to do my sleeve surgery. He is very caring and is a wonderful dr. I was treated with kindness and respect. I would recommend him highly.
in Yukon, OK |
Simply put, he saved my life. He was the first doctor who talked to me like a human and didn't just make me feel horrible about myself. He sat and explained everything in extreme detail, never pressured me into something I didn't want or need. I can not thank him and his staff enough for everything they have done and continue to do.
in Hackettstown, NJ |
I was given Dr Abkin?s name by a family Friend. They had done so well I was inspired to move forward myself with weight loss surgery. I will admit I was scared but Dr Abkin and his Staff made me feel comfortable and confident that I was doing the right thing. I am 3 months post op and down 50 pounds with a sleeve! Thanks!
in Chester, NJ |
Dr Abkin came Highly Recommended to me from a Co Worker who also had surgery with him. I knew i had complicated medical Issues and was impressed that he spent time to make sure we were on same page. My surgery went well and I've been doing well. Little issues i did have post op... he was right there to address them. ALways willing to spend time to listen and help. I would recommend him to all my friends and family. The Staff was also very helpful and quick to get doctor when needed. Thanks
Newark, NJ |
Overall I had a negative experience. He came highly recommended, however he does not get to know his patients. He placed a removable filter in me prior to my procedure stating that it was necessary. The filter a few months later was banned and unable to be removed in surgery. Current medical procedures/protocols were not followed. Dr. Abkin has questionable ethics. He is more concerned with money than his patients well being. A long list of unacceptable behavior for a physician.
Have you seen Dr. Alexander Abkin, MD?
Are you Dr. Abkin?

Visit Dr. Abkin

Dr. Abkin accepts 16 insurance carriers
  • Accepts most major Health Plans. Please contact our office for details.
    Choice PPO