Dr. Alan Zhang, MD

Sports Medicine | Male

UCSF Orthopedic Institute 1500 Owens St San Francisco, CA 94158 Get Directions
Dr. Alan Zhang, MD
I aim to provide the most advanced evidence-based treatments for sports injuries of the hip, knee and shoulder. UCSF is a world leader in research and patient care and my practice incorporates up-to-date options and minimally-invasive techniques for each individual, from weekend warrior to professional athlete.

Dr. Zhang's Care Philosophy

I treat patients with sports injuries of the hip, knee or shoulder using advanced, evidence-based medicine. If surgical treatment is needed, I utilize minimally-invasive arthroscopic procedures to help achieve optimal results.

Dr. Zhang's Experience

See how Dr. Zhang's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Zhang

Dr. Zhang is now accepting new patients
    UCSF Orthopedic Institute1500 Owens St
    San Francisco, CA 94158
    (415) 353-2808Get Directions

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Zhang has admitting privileges.

Dr. Zhang's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Zhang to family and friends
    Dr. Zhang's Performance
    in San Luis Obispo, CA |
    Dr. Zhang is a specialist in his field! I would highly recommend Dr. Zhang for labral repair and osteoplasty for FAI of the hip. He takes the time to listen to your concerns and provides you with the important information necessary for treatment to get you back to doing the things you enjoy!
    Petaluma, CA |
    Dr. Zhang has exceeded all of my expectations as a surgeon. He is talented, professional, and genuinely cares about his patients. He performed a hip arthroscopy on me due to an underlying condition called femoroacetabular impingement syndrome. He made me feel 100% confident in his abilities and the entire recovery process prior to surgery. I highly recommend him as a care provider.
    in San Francisco, CA |
    Dr. Zhang is the best doctor I've ever had by far. He was extremely professional, ensured I had the best care before and after the surgery, and took the time to answer all of the questions we had throughout the process.
    in San Francisco, CA |
    Dr. Alan Zhang was very patient and friendly . He brought me comfort and confidence pre and post surgery. The TEAM is an extraordinary ensemble of friendly and professional people. I am extremely satisfied . Dr Zhang is great.
    in San Francisco, CA |
    Dr. Zhang is incredibly professional, precise, and friendly. He clearly communicated my diagnosis, and was calm and relaxing in all of his interactions. I highly recommend him, especially for arthroscopic knee surgery which he performed on me. UCSF Orthopedic Institute and the team surrounding Dr. Zhang is incredibly professional, and I was really impressed with their ability to quickly schedule me in their system and help me get the best possible outcome.
    in Mill Valley, CA |
    Dr. Zhang could not have been more perfect. From my initial consult to my latest post-op follow-up, he has taken the time to explain everything and answer all of my questions. I felt fully informed and extremely well taken care of every step of the way. I could not have been more satisfied and if asked what I felt could be improved, I honestly cannot think of a single thing that he could have done any better. Thank you so much, Dr. Zhang! We are so lucky to have you here in SF.
    Sf, ca |
    Just had my torn labrum & FAI repaired by dr alan zhang at ucsf. Couldn't have asked for a better experience. In pre-surgery appointments he took the time to answer all of my questions and worries. The morning of the surgery he put me at ease. It's been a week since my surgery and I I am feeling great. I saw photos at my first post-op appointment of my inner hip and what he did was a work of art. I feel great. And my mobility is progressing everyday. I highly recommend him And the ucsf staff
    in Petaluma, CA |
    After I learned that Dr. Zhang would be a my surgeon, a colleague at work told me that he operated on her daughter and he's "wonderful." He is! Not only is he a top notch surgeon, he's personable and takes the time necessary to answer all questions, even online promptly. In my experience, this is uncommon among surgeons. When I complained to my mother (a surgical nurse) about other surgeons' bedside manner, she would say, "That's just the way surgeons are." Not this one.
    Concord, CA |
    Very knowledgeable, articulate and friendly. I knew without asking, my surgery went well and was fast because I had no bruising (no yellow, no blue), just minimal swelling. Dr. Zhang confirmed this in our post-op meeting which was pleasant, informative and efficient.
    in SF, CA |
    Best Doctor I have had at UCSF. I most highly recommend him and his skills.
    San Francisco, CA |
    I underwent hip surgery diagnosed with AVN and torn labrum. Dr. Zhang and his team at UCSF Orthopedic institute were super clear in describing the recommended procedure, and after procedure treatment. The facilities and equipment used was top notch. Dr Zhang and his staff were very detailed and answered all questions I had. Dr. Zhang is thorough, timely, compassionate and great surgeon. 2 weeks after surgery no pain and great PT progress thank you team !! you are excellent - A++++
    in San Francisco, CA |
    Dr. Zhang was fantastic from start to finish. I'd been told previously that I might need a hip replacement. When I met Dr. Zhang he walked in, introduced himself & basically described the general symptoms I'd been having for the past 5-10 years & the newer more intense ones I'd been having for the past year. He told me what procedure he recommended, which was a hip scope. My surgery & recovery went exactly as he predicted. I was running 3 months later & skiing after 5 & relatively pain free
    in san francisco |
    I had a labral tear and fai on my left hip done in Sept 2016 and am almost 100% better now. Couldn't have had a better outcome. Dr Zhang is an amazing surgeon and I would highly recommend. The overall practice at UCSF was great as well. Make sure you follow physical therapy religiously if you have surgery as that is key to recovery
    San Francisco, CA |
    Dr. Zhang is a wonderful physician. He is compassionate, timely, and very professional. I trust his medical and surgical expertise implicitly.
    in San Francisco, CA |
    Dr. Alan Zhang is the best doctor I've ever known. Not only is he an experrt in his field, but also he takes a good care of his patients. He explained the procedure he was going to perform, the steps we needed to do post surgery, and scheduled follow-up visits to check out the progress in my recovery. I highly recommend Dr. Zhang to patients with bone issue.
    San Francisco, CA |
    Highly recommend Dr. Zhang. Have been impressed with my entire UCSF experience as well.
    San Francisco, CA |
    Dr. Zhang never rushed me, listened fully to my questions and answered them fully, and went out of his way to ensure that he gave me all the information and guidance he could to help me make a decision without pressuring me. He seemed highly competent and practiced in hip arthroscopy, which was the procedure we decided to go ahead with. It's now two weeks after surgery. Apparently the surgery went great, and the recovery has been excellent so far too.
    in San Francisco, CA |
    Dr. Zhang is highly knowledgeable in orthopedics. I was extremely satisfied after my first visit and decided to go forward for my surgery. Dr. Zhang is very professional, his explanations about the surgery were very good. He answered all my questions and most importantly he took the time to do so. Dr. Zhang is very kind and gentle, he made me feel at ease. I highly recommend Dr. Alan Zhang.
    in Orinda, CA |
    I talked with 3 other surgeons before meeting Dr. Zhang. I felt immediately he was the right doctor for my hip arthroscopies. I am a dancer and would like to return to movement in full capacity. Dr. Zhang was confident that this would be the case and has been doing the research to prove it. I am still in the recovery phase, but am already aware of the hugely positive effects of the repair. Dr. Zhang's care has greatly improved my quality of life for a long time to come.
    in Turlock, CA |
    Dr. Zhang is the most caring, professional, and patient doctor I have ever seen. He performed a hip arthroscopic procedure, and was absolutely wonderful pre and post operation. I traveled three hours to see him and was worth every second. If you're looking for a doctor who will take time with you and make you feel very comfortable and heard, go see Dr. Zhang. Also, facility is beautiful and very clean. Nurses were very caring and took amazing care of me.
    Lucerne, CA |
    I was on my feet within days without assistance of crutches or cane Dr Zhang did a perfect job anyone looking to get the same procedure (arthroscopic surgery ) go to Dr Zhang the after surgery pain was less than the pain I had before the surgery I am extremely happy with the care and after care
    in Riverbank, CA |
    Dr. Zhang is very professional, friendly and did an excellent job on my shoulder.
    San Francisco, CA |
    Dr. Zhang is an incredible doctor. Very articulate about what is going on and the steps to fix the issue. His calm demeanor instills great confidence.
    in San Francisco, CA |
    Dr. Zhang is the single best doctor I have ever had. I had hip related issues and Dr. Zhang addressed everything flawlessly. I had seen 2 other surgeons and felt most comfortable with Dr. Zhang. He is extremely patient, knowledgeable and highly talented in his field. Ultimately, I had surgery and post op I recovered 100% and have been able to resume all of my activities. I would recommend anyone to Dr. Zhang and I am so grateful for how he has materially improved my quality of life.
    in San Francisco, CA |
    Dr. Zhang is absolutely fantastic and I'd highly recommend him and his team. My pre-op, op and post-op experiences have been top notch and he's been incredibly helpful in getting me back on the road to recovery!
    in San Francisco CA. |
    Dr. Zhang is the most professional, and Nice's doctor, I have ever know, he is on top of his game, konfoo doctor, meaning a master of his art.
    San Francisco, CA |
    A cycling accident which resulted in me sustaining both a fracture to one of my knees and a ruptured ACL are the conditions for which Dr. Alan Zhang treated me, recently. Dr. Zhang's fine surgical technique and dedicated post-surgery followup care have facilitated my early return to school.
    in San Rafael, CA |
    Dr. Zhang performed arthroscopic hip surgery for me two weeks ago and I'm doing great. In addition to being a top-rate surgeon Dr. Zhang is very personable and good at communicating and explaining. He listened to my concerns patiently and thoroughly answered all of my questions. In my experience this is not that typical of doctors in general and surgeons in particular. His confident reassurances and his respect for my concerns made the whole process so much better.
    Morro Bay, CA |
    I just had my right hip arthroscopy with Dr. Zhang (after getting my left side done last year) for FAI and labral tear. I had some pain management issues early on after this second surgery that are not at all due to Dr. Zhang's work, and he was very attentive to these issues and checked in with me post-op for a few days until they started to turn around. I always go in to Dr. Zhang's office with a million questions, and he really takes the time to go over each one and explain them carefully.
    San Francisco, CA |
    Prior to going to Dr. Zhang, I met with another physician. I personally did not feel comfortable with the other physician, so I decided to try UCSF. Dr. Zhang was very respectful and informative about my laberal shoulder repair. I was planned to leave the country within a couple of weeks of first meeting Dr. Zhang, meaning I was in an urgent rush to perform the surgery. Dr. Zhang made my surgery possible and successful. I am slowly feeling better and am thankful I went to Dr. Zhang for surgery.
    in Oakland, CA |
    I'm still 2 weeks out from L hip surgery and am grateful to have had Dr. Zhang as my physician. I spent about 1.5 yrs working with a back/spine center in SF and received multiple incorrect diagnosis. I was exhausted and wanted a second opinion. Dr. Zhang ordered the tests I should have had a year ago and was able to give me a proper diagnosis. I decided to do the surgery Office is great: I rarely wait for office visits, staff has been wonderful at calling me back after my procedure, etc.
    in San Francisco |
    Dr. Zhang and staff were very helpful to my son , they explained step by step on my son's surgery, Dr. Zhang did surgery on my son's shoulder last year and just did knee surgery 2 weeks ago . I would like to say thank you to Dr. Zhang and his staff and would highly recommend Dr.Zhang family and friends.
    Dr.Zhang was always very attentive to my needs. He made me feel at ease pre and post op. All my appointments with him have been informative and I never felt rushed.
    in Davis, Ca. |
    Top-notch from beginning to end. I am so happy and couldn't have asked for more in regards to service & communication from everyone! Very professional and met all of my wants and needs. I am truly thankful!
    My very first visit at the office, I was made to feel welcome and comfortable both by the friendly competence of the staff and the pleasant environment of the office itself. Dr. Zhang is attentive and gentle with his care.
    in San Francisco, CA |
    This clinic is exceptionally well run and the physicians, nurses, and other health care professionals I encountered were excellent. Dr. Zhang spent as much time with me as I wanted - and I asked tons of questions! He answered everything well and after doing my research I realized what he was telling me was supported by research. I learned to trust him a lot. He is one of the best physicians I have encountered at one of the best hospitals in the country.
    in Roseville, CA |
    My experience at UCSF has been consistently excellent and Dr. Zhang was no exception.
    He gave me lots of attention. My surgery was smooth. My hip feels great. Ucsf was amazing. The only downside was that I had trouble communicating with his office staff.
    in San Francisco, CA |
    Was in and out of my orthoscopic knee surgery. Recovery is going great so far.
    Have you seen Dr. Alan Zhang, MD?
    Are you Dr. Zhang?

Dr. Zhang says...

I aim to provide the most advanced evidence-based treatments for sports injuries of the hip, knee and shoulder. UCSF is a world leader in research and patient care and my practice incorporates up-to-date options and minimally-invasive techniques for each individual, from weekend warrior to professional athlete.

Dr. Zhang's Care Philosophy

Dr. Zhang says...

I have expertise in minimally-invasive arthroscopic surgery of the hip, knee and shoulder.

In the hip, I frequently treat labral tears, femoroacetabular impingement and athletic injuries. I am a specialist in advanced hip arthroscopy for labral repair and reconstruction, as well as hip preservation and gluteus repair.

In the knee, I treat ACL tears, meniscus tears and cartilage injuries and regularly perform ACL reconstruction and meniscus repairs.

In the shoulder, I treat rotator cuff tears as well as shoulder dislocations and instability.

Dr. Zhang's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Sports Medicine
    •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery

Dr. Zhang has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for California.

Why It Matters: Dr. Zhang's Board Certifications

UCSF
      Rice University

• Chinese, Cantonese
    • Chinese, Mandarin

Dr. Zhang does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Zhang and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Sports Medicine