Dr. Alan H. Zalta, MD

Dr. Alan H. Zalta, MD

Ophthalmology | Male

Cincinnati Eye Institute 222 Piedmont Ave Ste 1700, Cincinnati, OH 45219 Get Directions

Learn about this Doctor

Personal Bio

Alan H. Zalta, M.D. specializes and limits his practice to the medical and surgical therapy of glaucoma. Since 1984,...Read more

Dr. Zalta's Experience

97Experience
Match

See how Dr. Zalta's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Zalta

Dr. Zalta accepts 9 insurance carriers

Check out the quality of care at the 3 hospitals where Dr. Zalta has admitting privileges.

Hospital Quality Awards

Dr. Zalta's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
Likelihood of recommending Dr. Zalta to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Zalta
Dr. Zalta's Office & Staff
    Under 10 minutes (46)
in Crescent Springs, KY |
I'm upset...why isn't there an option for at least 10 stars?
in Cincinnati, OH |
He saved my eye. I had trauma to my left eye in 2005 and he played the critical role in ensuring my eye could be saved. I have treated and we'll managed trauma induced glaucoma in left eye. If you are looking for a solid surgeon with amazing staff, look no further. I have had 7 Surgeries related to my eye trauma and glad to have been provided care by Dr. Zalta and other CEI staff. Trust your eye health and of loved ones to Dr. Zalta. Take care, David
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr, Zalta has treated me for several years and has never given up on my difficult case, His knowledge and dedication has restored my vision. I can now truly attest to the fact that I was blind but now I see. He was determined in his effort and patient with me in explaining the required procedures and medication regime. I thank God for Dr. Zalta,
Cincinnati, Ohio |
He has real genuine concern for his patients, and he is an expert in his field.
Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Zalta is the consummate professional. He is competent, knowledgeable, and I am confident that he is giving me the best care possible. He keeps me informed about my condition, and celebrates with me when the news is good. I appreciate all the effort he has put into helping me maintain my vision!
in Batavia, OH |
My father-in-law has advanced Glaucoma and Macular degeneration and receives the absolute best care possible. Dr. Zalta has been wonderful with him, explaining every procedure, medication and side-effect while being caring and compassionate. He even handled the 'can I drive' question in a manner that made Dad believe that it was his own idea that driving was not an option. This doctor is brilliant!
He has prevented my condition from deteriorating.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr.Zalta has been taking good care of my glaucoma for many years. I trust him and he is genuine cre about him patient.
Very professional and always helpful.
Excellent experience with Dr Zalta. He saved my eye with surgery and medication and continues to give thorough explanation of my medical condition. I highly recommend Dr Zalta.
He is amazing
in Cincinnati, OH |
My expierience with Dr. Zalta dates back to 1987 when it was discovered that I had a serious damage t my optic nerve. He treated me for a number of years even after my move to Atlanta. Eventually I began seeing an Atlanta doctor. Since 2014 since moving back to Cincinnati I have been fortunate to continue seeing Dr. Zalta. He has and is keeping my eyes functioning. I highly recommend Dr. Zalta and his careful and knowledgable attention. Thank you Dr. Zalta!
I have been going to Dr Zalta for many years. He is one of the most knowledgeable and capable physicians that I have ever come in contact with.
Always on time. Enjoy my visits and I always learn something,
in Cincinnati, OH |
Excellent service, extremely caring and expert specialist.
My daughter has been seeing Dr. Zalta for the last 15 years since she was toddler. He saved her vision. We are so blessed to have someone like Dr. Zalta. He is always so professional and knowledgable.
in Maysville, KY |
Dr. Zalta tells me how everything is going and makes sure to ask if I have any questions.
in Cincinnati, OH |
very careful and through. has kept eye pressure low and controlled glaucoma for many years.
in Oxford, OH |
Dr. Zalta's competence and commitment has saved my eye. He is THE expert in the field of complex visual problems.
in Wilmington, OH |
Dr. Zalta has been instrumental in saving my husband's eyesight!!! We were referred to his office because my husband has a very 'complicated' eye. Dr. Zalta treats him for glaucoma. His commitment to his patients is outstanding. After surgery, Dr. Zalta kept track of my husband's progress over Christmas and New Years. He knows what he is doing. If you have glaucoma and need a doctor, Dr. Zalta is your man.
in Cincinnati, OH |
As a long term patient of Dr. Zalta I can recommend him without reservation. He is a very experienced, competent and highly skilled physician. I received outstanding care from him and his staff. Dr. Zalta explained my condition and surgery in lay terms - even using drawn pictures to highlight a point. Dr. Zalta is a caring professional who with a team of CEI doctors restored my eye sight.
in Warsaw, KY |
Very professional, I commend the level of caring that he has with me. I am a patient that has several issues with my right eye and he does not give up until he has the issues under control. I trust him and would recommend him to my friends and family. He always is very punctual unless of coarse an emergency arises.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Outstanding Doctor and staff. Dr. Zalta inspires confidence, whether you are being seen in the office or headed to surgery.
in Cincinnati, OH |
I have been a patient of Dr. Zalta for 27 years. Having been diagnosed with Glaucoma at a very young age (14) I am an unusual case. The care received from Dr. Zalta is outstanding and he has managed my condition successfully over the years. I have had additional eye problems that he discovered over the years and his referrals have been fantastic. He, along with retinal specialists he has recommended, have worked together to manage the conditions successfully. I trust him completely.
in Batavia, OH |
I have been seeing Dr. Zalta for glaucoma for more than 15 years and believe he, along with answered prayers, has preserved my vision for these many years. I can always count on him to calm my fears as I implicitly trust his medical decisions. He seems as pleased as I am when my pressures remain stable. I am happy to have recently discovered he also performs cataract surgery, as I would suspect that will be in my future. Hope retirement is out of the question for many, many, years.
Columbus, OH |
I had an aggressive form of Open-Angle Glaucoma in one eye, it was robbing me of my eyesight; another CEI doctors told me there was nothing else she could do to save my eyesight 8 years ago. I believe in the Power of Prayer, and believed surely someone can help, that's when God sent HELP and re-directed me to Dr. Zalta at CEI! I pray Dr. Zalta lives a long life! It is 2016 and I still have my sight and can still drive. Praise God from Whom all Blessings flow AND for Dr. Zalta with his gift.
in Cincinnati, OH |
I was impressed with Dr. Zalta's diagnosis of a previous right eye injury that no one else had identified. I appreciate his referral to another optometrist to monitor my mild glaucoma instead of seeing a Specialist, but I would have preferred just to see Dr. Zalta each year or two and keep my current Optometrist. Please let me know if Dr. Zalta is agreeable to this going forward. Thank you.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Outstanding care. Answers questions in detail. Very comfortable, confident I have the best care.
in milford ohio 45250 |
Excellent as with all the staft
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Zalta is very experienced, skilled and compassionate towards his patience.
in Cincinnati, OH |
When I first met Dr. Zalta he was very informative and explained to my condition and what my options were. He was quite professional. I think he takes his work quite serious and cares for his patients. I would highly recommend Dr. Zalta. Just tell him to Smile more often. (LOL)
Have you seen Dr. Alan H. Zalta, MD?
Are you Dr. Zalta?

• Incisional Glaucoma Surgery
  • Laser Trabeculoplasty or Iridectomy
  • Scleral Reinforcement Surgery
  • Trabeculectomy

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Ohio.

U Of Tx Med Sch At Houston

• American Academy of Ophthalmology Senior Achievement Award, 2012
    • Best Doctors in America, 1996-1999
    • University of Cincinnati College of Medicine 30 Year Service Award, 2014
    • American Academy of Ophthalmology Honor Award, 1994

Dr. Zalta has no media or publications listed.

• Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati, Member

• American Academy of Ophthalmology, Member

• American Medical Association, Member

• Cincinnati Society of Ophthalmology, Member

• Ohio State Medical Association, Member

×

Dr. Zalta's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

• Specializes in Ophthalmology
  • Board certified in Ophthalmology
  • Malpractice claims in Ohio not available
×

Why Does Experience Matter?

Patient Satisfaction Results for Dr. Zalta

Overall Patient Satisfaction Score

Dr. Zalta's Office & Staff

Ease of scheduling urgent appointments
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort, etc.
Staff friendliness and courteousness
Total wait time (waiting & exam rooms)
10 – 15 minutes

Experience with Dr. Zalta

Level of trust in provider's decisions
How well provider explains medical condition(s)
How well provider listens and answers questions
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients

Dr. Zalta says...

Alan H. Zalta, M.D. specializes and limits his practice to the medical and surgical therapy of glaucoma.  Since 1984, he has been Director of the Glaucoma Service in the Department of Ophthalmology at University of Cincinnati College of Medicine where he is an affiliated Clinical Professor. He was Director of Medical Student Education for the Department of Ophthalmology from 1984-2000 and has been honored with three awards for Resident teaching. Dr. Zalta also served as President of the Cincinnati Society of Ophthalmology and has been selected by his peers to be included in Best Doctors in America in 20 of the last 21 years.

Dr. Zalta received his Medical Degree from University of Texas Medical School at Houston in 1978 after graduating Cum Laude from Rice University in 1975.  He served his Internship at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas and completed his Ophthalmology Residency training at University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1983.  Dr. Zalta subsequently received Glaucoma Fellowship training at Ochsner Clinic and Louisiana State University in New Orleans, Louisiana.  He has been Board Certified since 1984 and is a Diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmology.

Dr. Zalta has developed stereoscopic teaching atlases of glaucomatous disc damage and gonioscopy, has published many original articles and book chapters, has produced numerous teaching videotapes, and has taught many courses at local, national, and international meetings for the last 27 years.  In 2014, the American Academy of Ophthalmology recognized Dr. Zalta's long commitment to teaching his peers by honoring him with a Senior Achievement Award.  Dr. Zalta has also developed an expertise in aqueous shunt implant surgery and has been a visiting Professor at numerous universities.

Dr. Zalta has always staged the degree of glaucoma damage and set target goals for pressure control accordingly; he taught a national course on this subject for 3 years.  He believes in a liberal approach in early glaucoma and a conservative approach in advanced glaucoma.