Dr. Alan Zalta, MD

Dr. Alan Zalta, MD

Ophthalmology  |
Dr. Alan Zalta, MD is an ophthalmology doctor who practices in Cincinnati, OH. He is 64 years old and has been practicing for 39 years. Read his story

222 Piedmont Ave Fl 4

• Sagamore Health Network

Learn about Dr. Zalta

See how frequently Dr. Zalta performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Glaucoma
Conjunctivoplasty
Dry Eyes

Dr. Zalta's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Zalta's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Zalta "Alan H. Zalta, M.D. specializes and limits his practice to the medical and surgical therapy of glaucoma. Since 1984, he has been Director of the Glaucoma Service in the Department of Ophthalmology at University of Cincinnati College of Medicine where he is an affiliated Clinical Professor. He was Director of Medical Student Education for the Department of Ophthalmology from 1984-2000 and has been honored with three awards for Resident teaching. Dr. Zalta also served as President of the Cincinnati Society of Ophthalmology and has been selected by his peers to be included in Best Doctors in America in 20 of the last 21 years. Dr. Zalta received his Medical Degree from University of Texas Medical School at Houston in 1978 after graduating Cum Laude from Rice University in 1975. He served his Internship at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas and completed his Ophthalmology Residency training at University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1983. Dr. Zalta subsequently received Glaucoma Fellowship training at Ochsner Clinic and Louisiana State University in New Orleans, Louisiana. He has been Board Certified since 1984 and is a Diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmology. Dr. Zalta has developed stereoscopic teaching atlases of glaucomatous disc damage and gonioscopy, has published many original articles and book chapters, has produced numerous teaching videotapes, and has taught many courses at local, national, and international meetings for the last 27 years. In 2014, the American Academy of Ophthalmology recognized Dr. Zalta's long commitment to teaching his peers by honoring him with a Senior Achievement Award. Dr. Zalta has also developed an expertise in aqueous shunt implant surgery and has been a visiting Professor at numerous universities. Dr. Zalta has always staged the degree of glaucoma damage and set target goals for pressure control accordingly; he taught a national course on this subject for 3 years. He believes in a liberal approach in early glaucoma and a conservative approach in advanced glaucoma."

• Ophthalmology

• Laser Trabeculoplasty or Iridectomy
  • Ocular Surface Reconstruction
  • Scleral Reinforcement Surgery
  • Trabeculectomy

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Ohio.

• U Of Tx Med Sch At Houston

• American Academy of Ophthalmology Senior Achievement Award, 2012
  • Best Doctors in America, 1996-1999
  • University of Cincinnati College of Medicine 30 Year Service Award, 2014
  • American Academy of Ophthalmology Honor Award, 1994

Dr. Zalta has no media or publications listed.

• Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati, Member

Dr. Zalta's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Zalta to family and friends
Dr. Zalta's Performance
in Springdale, oh |
Doctor Zalta has saved and improved my sight over the years . He knows his business and makes it his life's work helping people to a better life with sight. When it comes to Glaucoma , I wouldn't think of another Doctor. And any member of my family or friends I would recommend Doctor Zalta .
in Cincinnati, OH |
I have been a patient of Dr. Zalta for 20 years. In all those years he has been the most professional and successful in treating my glaucoma. I cant imagine going to ANYONE else. He is the BEST.
in Charlotte, NC |
I have the greatest confidence in Dr. Zalta. He has great knowledges and skill, plus he sincerely cares about his patients.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Zalta saved my eyesight and I am forever grateful to him. There is very little wait to see him. His staff is friendly and accommodating.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Very caring and knowledgeable . Have been with him for over 19 years. my condition has been stable since 1999. The one thing I am really impressed with is I don"t have long waits before see him. If my appointment is at 1:00 I am seen by him within five to seven minutes.
in Cincinnati, OH |
I have been a patient of Dr. Alan Zalta for the past 18 years. Dr. Zalta has been the most professional health care practitioner I have had the pleasure of associating with for the past 70 years. He is extremely detail oriented as he always performs the most complete examinations. He has a wonderful personality and takes an interest in both my medical and personal well being. I would recommend Dr. Zalta to anyone wishing to have the best ophthalmology treatment in the world.
in Laguna Beach, CA |
Dr. Zalta has managed my end stage and advanced glaucoma for the past nine years. I feel greatly blessed to be under his excellent care and am delighted with the stability of my condition.
Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Zalta is experienced, knowledgeable, methodical, totally hands on. He has had my pressures controlled and stabilized for over six years now. The surgeries he performed on my eyes have yielded very positive results and have also remained stable for over six years. In my opinion, he has saved my eyesight. I would recommend him very highly.
in Batavia, OH |
Dr Zalta is one of the best surgeons in his field . He saved my mother's eye after her stroke and has kept her comfortable ever since . I would like to say many thanks to him !
Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Zalta has been treating my glaucoma for almost 20 years and, thanks to that care, my illness has been stabilized. While it's been years since my original diagnosis, the glaucoma is still in the early stages. With something as critical as one's eyesight, it's extremely important to have someone who knows what they're doing and takes pride in doing their job with perfection.
Cincinnati, OH |
Wonderful doctor and person, but you have to "understand" his style and personality going in. I have a good time with him, but that's because after three years, we've figured each other out! He really cares about his patients' well-being and that's most important, along with his superb skill in what he does.
in Cincinnati, OH |
I have been seeing Dr. Zalta for 14 years and have complete trust in the treatment I have received. I would highly recommend Dr. Zalta to my family and friends.
in Venice, FL |
Doctor Zalta and his staff are the go to people to use if you have a Glaucoma problem. They are caring and helpful. Larry Hilbert
in Ft Wright, KY |
Dr Zalta is my glaucoma specialist and has been for over 5 years. He has performed multiple surgeries on my complicated deep set eyes. He is always a steady professional. Has a well run office. I put my complete trust in him for the care of my glaucoma issues. Just remember to bring your meds sheet, LOL.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Zalta is an excellent, caring, professional who is on top of the latest procedures for complicated eye problems. He takes time to explain what he is doing and what is expected of the patient. He works diligently to provide optimum eye processes. His only expectations are to follow his instructions to the letter.
Marion, OH |
Dr. Zalta always makes me feel confident I am getting the best care possible for my glaucoma. He has carefully monitored my eyes for over 15 years now. I would highly recommend him to anyone with glaucoma. He's a doctor you can put your trust in and be assured he will do everything possible to save your eye sight.
in Cincinnati, OH |
I have been a patient of Dr. Zalta's for 22 years. He is a no-nonsense doctor who is also able to instill confidence in his abilities and knowledge. I would recommend him without reservation. At my annual checkup, I informed Dr. Zalta that he can never retire!
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Zalta is one of my all-time favorite doctors. He has been managing my glaucoma for many years with great success. Last time I saw him, he made the Combigan I had been using while my cataracts were healing my everyday drops, AND he told me that some patients are allergic to Combigan, an itchy rash around the eyes that can begin six months into use. Brand new information for me, and I was very glad to have it.
Cincinnati, OH |
Have been a patient of Dr Zalta for over 10 years. He has continued to follow my glaucoma issues very closely and to monitor my vision very closely.
in Cincinnati, OH |
I was originally referred to Dr. Zalta back in 2009 by my eye doctor. She had noticed that my eye pressures were elevated, which caused her to be concerned. I had visited Dr. Zalta at CEI. After a very lengthy and thorough appointment, he diagnosed me with Pigementary Dispersion Glaucoma. In 2010 he performed surgery on both eyes to enhance drainage and control my eye pressures. Fast forward to 2017 I have been an A+ pupil (ha, ha). Thank You Dr. Zalta for your care and concern with my eyes!
in Cincinnati Ohio |
Dr Zalta has taken care of my glaucoma problem for years. I trust his care completely. He has kept my vision stable. My husband and I are extremely grateful for his professional care and kindness to me with the anxiety that comes from being concerrned about my eyes. I trust him totally for my vision. Mrs. E. Jackson
I have been going to see Dr. Zalta since I was six weeks old. He has saved my vision on multiple occasions. He has done a fantastic job with every one of my surgeries. Zalta has always been there to help me with my vison. I have never had any problems with him. It is a very clean work environment and the staff there is wonderful. Zalta is fantastic doctor all around.
in VINTON OH |
Dr. Zalta has been taking care of the glaucoma in my left eye for over a year now. He is a great and caring Dr. He also takes the time to explain what is wrong treatment plan.
Cincinnati, OH |
I have visited Dr. Zalta for around 8 years, originally 4-5 times per week immediately after surgery and now annually. He has always been friendly and it is obvious that he cares for the well-being of his patients. Appointments with him are generally quick and I don't spend much time in the waiting room. He is well-versed in his field and he makes it easy to trust his judgment. He has taken excellent care of my eye.
in Cincinnati, OH |
I have been a patient of Dr. Zalta for a very long time. He has helped save my vision in one eye since day one and manage the glaucoma in the other eye. I like how Dr. Zalta explains the medical treatment and how to manage the treatment to keep your vision. I would highly recommend Dr. Zalta to anyone with glaucoma problems.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Zalta is the consummate professional, always prepared and is very adept at articulating the medical issues in an understandable manner. I'm extremely confident that my eyes are in capable hands and I appreciate Dr. Zalta's expertise.
in Cincinnati, OH |
I've been going to Dr. Zalta for 13 years, and he has kept my glaucoma under control with drops and laser treatments. He is a wonderful doctor and I would not trust my eyes to anyone else.
in Cincinnati, OH |
He is very professional and polite. He thoroughly explains the medical procedures to this patients.
Cincinnati, OH |
Takes the time to insure best treatment for my difficult case of glaucoma. I would recommend Dr. Zalta to anyone that requires surgery for their glaucoma.
in Crescent Springs, KY |
I'm upset...why isn't there an option for at least 10 stars?
in Cincinnati, OH |
He saved my eye. I had trauma to my left eye in 2005 and he played the critical role in ensuring my eye could be saved. I have treated and we'll managed trauma induced glaucoma in left eye. If you are looking for a solid surgeon with amazing staff, look no further. I have had 7 Surgeries related to my eye trauma and glad to have been provided care by Dr. Zalta and other CEI staff. Trust your eye health and of loved ones to Dr. Zalta. Take care, David
Cincinnati, Ohio |
He has real genuine concern for his patients, and he is an expert in his field.
Cincinnati, OH |
Dr. Zalta is the consummate professional. He is competent, knowledgeable, and I am confident that he is giving me the best care possible. He keeps me informed about my condition, and celebrates with me when the news is good. I appreciate all the effort he has put into helping me maintain my vision!
in Batavia, OH |
My father-in-law has advanced Glaucoma and Macular degeneration and receives the absolute best care possible. Dr. Zalta has been wonderful with him, explaining every procedure, medication and side-effect while being caring and compassionate. He even handled the 'can I drive' question in a manner that made Dad believe that it was his own idea that driving was not an option. This doctor is brilliant!
He has prevented my condition from deteriorating.
in Cincinnati, OH |
Dr.Zalta has been taking good care of my glaucoma for many years. I trust him and he is genuine cre about him patient.
Very professional and always helpful.
Excellent experience with Dr Zalta. He saved my eye with surgery and medication and continues to give thorough explanation of my medical condition. I highly recommend Dr Zalta.
He is amazing
in Cincinnati, OH |
My expierience with Dr. Zalta dates back to 1987 when it was discovered that I had a serious damage t my optic nerve. He treated me for a number of years even after my move to Atlanta. Eventually I began seeing an Atlanta doctor. Since 2014 since moving back to Cincinnati I have been fortunate to continue seeing Dr. Zalta. He has and is keeping my eyes functioning. I highly recommend Dr. Zalta and his careful and knowledgable attention. Thank you Dr. Zalta!
I have been going to Dr Zalta for many years. He is one of the most knowledgeable and capable physicians that I have ever come in contact with.
Always on time. Enjoy my visits and I always learn something,
in Cincinnati, OH |
Excellent service, extremely caring and expert specialist.
My daughter has been seeing Dr. Zalta for the last 15 years since she was toddler. He saved her vision. We are so blessed to have someone like Dr. Zalta. He is always so professional and knowledgable.
in Maysville, KY |
Dr. Zalta tells me how everything is going and makes sure to ask if I have any questions.
in Cincinnati, OH |
very careful and through. has kept eye pressure low and controlled glaucoma for many years.
in Oxford, OH |
Dr. Zalta's competence and commitment has saved my eye. He is THE expert in the field of complex visual problems.
in Wilmington, OH |
Dr. Zalta has been instrumental in saving my husband's eyesight!!! We were referred to his office because my husband has a very 'complicated' eye. Dr. Zalta treats him for glaucoma. His commitment to his patients is outstanding. After surgery, Dr. Zalta kept track of my husband's progress over Christmas and New Years. He knows what he is doing. If you have glaucoma and need a doctor, Dr. Zalta is your man.
in Cincinnati, OH |
As a long term patient of Dr. Zalta I can recommend him without reservation. He is a very experienced, competent and highly skilled physician. I received outstanding care from him and his staff. Dr. Zalta explained my condition and surgery in lay terms - even using drawn pictures to highlight a point. Dr. Zalta is a caring professional who with a team of CEI doctors restored my eye sight.
in Warsaw, KY |
Very professional, I commend the level of caring that he has with me. I am a patient that has several issues with my right eye and he does not give up until he has the issues under control. I trust him and would recommend him to my friends and family. He always is very punctual unless of coarse an emergency arises.
Have you seen Dr. Alan Zalta, MD?
Are you Dr. Zalta?