Dr. Alan Wagner, MD

Dr. Alan Wagner, MD

Ophthalmology  |
Dr. Alan Wagner, MD is an ophthalmology doctor who practices in Virginia Beach, VA. He is 61 years old and has been practicing for 34 years. Read his story

1800 Republic Rd Ste 102

Virginia Beach, VA 23454

• WellPoint

Learn about Dr. Wagner

See how frequently Dr. Wagner performs your care needs compared to other doctors.

Central Serous Chorioretinopathy
Retinal Hemorrhage
Retinal Vein Occlusion

Dr. Wagner's percentages are based on the rate of treatment compared to peers nationwide from insurance data. Learn more info about our data and this Top Care Areas component.

Dr. Wagner's bio

This content was provided by Dr. Wagner "Dr. Alan Wagner is a board-certified physician and a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. An ophthalmologist who specializes in vitreoretinal surgery, he diagnoses and treats a wide range of health issues commonly associated with the eyes. In 1987, Dr. Wagner established the Wagner Macula & Retina Center in the Hampton Roads region of Virginia & North Carolina. Dr. Wagner earned his medical degree from Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, and he completed his residency in ophthalmology at the Eastern Virginia Medical School. At the Weill Cornell University Medical Center, he was a Dyson fellow in surgery associated with vitreoretinal disease. His medical specialties include the diagnoses and treatment of conditions that affect both the macula and the retina of the eye. A highly skilled surgeon, he is internationally known for the treatment of retinal disease. Dr. Wagner has worked extensively with pediatric eye disorders as well as conditions associated with diabetes. He has experience working with diabetic retinopathy management, macular degeneration, ocular cancers and retinal diseases. Dr. Wagner has spoken at many different events and has been published in medical journals as well as in peer-reviewed publications. He presented some of his most well-known lectures to colleagues in both Europe and the United States, covering topics such as surgical device design, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, and international healthcare delivery models. Dr. Wagner works extensively throughout the state of Virginia and the rest of the United States. As a member of the Secretariat of State Affairs for the American Academy of Ophthalmology, he has represented Maryland, the District of Columbia and his home state of Virginia. He is the acting president of the Virginia Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons. In addition to his tenure as a past president of the Virginia Beach Medical Society, Dr. Wagner serves not only the medical community but his community as well. He works with many charitable organizations and strives to continually offer his services to committees that work toward the advancement of both technology and healthcare."

This content was provided by Dr. Wagner "Dedicated to caring for our patients like family, our goal is to both restore your sight and provide you with an outstanding experience. Wagner Macula & Retina Center combines innovative treatments and technology with five star service, compassion, one hour treatment visits, same day appointments and convenient locations across Hampton Roads, Virginia."

• Ophthalmology

• Degenerative Disorders of Globe
  • Diabetes Type 1
  • Diabetes Type 2
  • Diabetes With Renal Manifestations
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Diplopia
  • Drooping Eyelids (Ptosis)
  • Drusen
  • Retinal Ischemia
  • Retinal Neovascularization
  • Retinal Telangiectasia
  • Retinal Vein Occlusion
  • Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP)
  • Retinoblastoma
  • Retinopathy of Prematurity (ROP)
  • Retinoschisis

• Diabetes Eye Care
  • Eye Surgery
  • Iridectomy
  • Repair of Retinal Detachment or Retinal Tear
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery

No malpractice history found for Virginia.

• Northwestern University
    Undergraduate School | Graduated 1978
  • Vanderbilt University School Of Medicine
    Medical School | Graduated 1983
  • Eastern Virginia Medical School
    Residency Hospital | Completed 1986
  • Cornell University Medical Center
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1987

Dr. Wagner has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Wagner does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Wagner and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Wagner's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Wagner to family and friends
Dr. Wagner's Performance
in Virginia Beach, VA |
My wife suffered for two years and through two surgeries with a local doctor to try to gain vision in her right eye. Each time we became frustrated there was always another excuse as to why she was not getting better. We left that practice and were referred to Dr. Wagner. One surgery later, my wife sees perfectly. We have nothing but great things to say about Dr. Wagner. You may need to wait a little for an office visit, but good things come to those who wait!
in Chesapeake, VA |
I have been seeing Dr. Wagner for several years. The office experiences and the technical experiences have been very pleasant and informative. As for Dr. Wagner, I believe that he is the best and most knowledgable Doctor in his field. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone in need of Macular and/or Retinal treatment.
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr Wagner is the kind of doctor we aall should have. Knowledgeable, caring and he always takes the time to talk with his patients
in Virginia Beach, VA |
Dr. Wagner saw me within 20 minutes of my panicked call to his office because I was losing vision in my eye. No referrals needed. His rapid diagnosis of me experiencing a stroke in my optic nerve combined with immediate treatment resulted in saving my central vision. When a 24 hour delay would have resulted in complete vision loss, Dr. Wagner's expertise and rapid response time was responsible for saving my vision. I would highly recommend him.
in Parksley, VA. |
As far as I am concerned I am so very glad that I was sent to Dr. Wagner. I have macular degengerative in my left eye and still can't see out of it but hoping that after a few more visits it will start to clear up. Dr. Wagner is remarkable and I am very satisfied with the treatment so far.
Elizabeth City, NC |
staff were condescending,talked in a arrogant manner that was masked by a false sweet tone. They told me my insurance wasn't accepted...it was, that they would call me back...they didn't and that I must be mistaken in wanting to be seen by a rential specialist because of my age though I have a definite history of pars plantis. Dr Wagnor was insulting and falsely self assured. My other eye md completely healed my eye of inflammation and is certified in opthamology and internal med.
in portsmouth, va |
I appreciate everything Dr. Wagner has done for me in order to save my vision!
in suffolk, va |
It seems like my appointments are frequently rescheduled.
in suffolk, va |
I have confidence in Dr. Wagner. He is very professional, thorough, and knowledgeable.
Virginia Beach, VA |
He is very kind and he explained everything to me in a way that I could understand. I did not wait very long at all. Plus he fixed my eye! Would recommend him highly
in Newport News, VA |
I had excellent results from my eye surgery, and would recommend Doctors Wagner and Kapoor. The problem is the wait time in the Hampton office where people are backed up in first one room than another. So...maybe look at scheduling. Also, while the person at the front desk was making my appointment for another doctor, she was busy cleaning her fingernails with a toothpick and she made the appointment with the wrong place. The offices and professional staff are great, but not front desk.
in Mount Pleasant, SC |
I trust Dr. Wagner to save my sight. We have fought Macular Degeneration together for years. Throwing every latest medication and advancement at the disease has kept it from becoming worse. I tell everyone to see him or Dr. Kapoor.
in Chesapeake |
Dr Wagner helped me when I was having an eye emergency and was in tremendous pain. His genuine concern and care is greatly appreciated and I highly recommend him and his staff!
Have you seen Dr. Alan Wagner, MD?
Are you Dr. Wagner?