Dr. Alan D. Mendelsohn, MD

Dr. Alan D. Mendelsohn, MD

Ophthalmology | Male | 58 years old

We know how important it is to provide families with the best health care possible. Eye Surgeons and Consultants is one of the most respected ophthalmology groups in South Florida. Our physician, Alan Mendelsohn, MD provides up-to-date eye care services with state of the art equipment in a beautiful and relaxing office setting. We are proud of our dedicated and caring team of professionals that make up our office staff, each member having the common goal of providing the best eye care possible.Read more

Personal Bio

Dr. Mendelsohn's Experience

See how Dr. Mendelsohn's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Mendelsohn

Dr. Mendelsohn accepts 12 insurance carriers

Dr. Mendelsohn's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Mendelsohn to family and friends
Experience with Dr. Mendelsohn
Dr. Mendelsohn's Office & Staff
    Under 10 minutes (14)
Delray Beach, FL |
Family members have been patients of Dr. Mendelsohn for over 35 years and managed the eye healthcare needs, including cornea surgeries, with competence, thoroughness and patient compassion. He has always remained highly informed of eye and vision research and developments and educates his patients as options/decisions need to be made. Our family confirms the faith and trust we have in his knowledge and skill, and we will travel the distance for our appointments with him.
in Ft Lauderdale, FL |
I've been seeing Dr. Mendelsohn for about 10 years. I've been very satisfied with his competence and politeness. He's very thorough and his staff of assistant's and clerical support are also professional and cheerful. I have referred several friends and recently my wife for his services.
in Fort Lauderdale FL |
Have only good things to say about Dr. Alan Mendelsohn who has been the eye doctor for my wife and myself for many years. Going to his office is always a pleasant experience and we have been more than satisfied with the good care we've received. Dr. Mendelsohn is a kind, caring, thoughtful man as well as an outstanding doctor. The staff in the glasses shop is also excellent.
in Hollywood, FL |
My family and I have been seeing Dr. Mendelsohn for over 15 years. He is highly trained, very personable and thorough. His staff is excellent and efficient as well! I would not trust my eyes with anybody else.
Hollywood, FL |
Dr. Mendelsohn is a true professional. He talks you through the exam and explains all medical terms, putting his patients at ease through the process. He has an excellent bedside manner, as does his kind and friendly staff. Appointments run on time! He has been our family Ophthalmologists for over 30 years. I take my children there as well. The optometry shop has an excellent selection of glasses. And you can't beat the location, 2 minutes from I-95 off Sheridan Street. I highly recommend him!
in Teaneck, NJ |
I have a rare eye condition called called kerataconus which Dr. Mendelsohn has treated skillfully, compassionately, and thoroughly for 15 years. I fly from New York just to see him. Recommend without hesitation.
in Ft Lauderdale, FL |
Dr. Mendelsohn is a very caring Doctor. Dr.Mendelsohn completed my eye surgery last year for cataracts and in-plants. Everything went smoothly with lots of follow up visits. A very talented Surgeon.
in Ft Lauderdale, Florida |
I have known Dr. Mendelsohn since 1990. He is an excellent caring physician. His office staff is efficient and friendly and the office is very clean and up-to-date. He really cares about taking care of my vision as i age.
in Hollywood, FL |
Been treated by Dr. Mendelsohn for nearly 30 years. He has excellent bedside manner, and his office staff are welcoming.
in Hollywood, FL |
Dr. Mendelsohn has been my doctor for years. Wouldn't dream of switching- the wait is always minimal, staff is nice, care is fantastic. Best decision I ever made was going to Dr. Mendelsohn's practice.
in Livingston, NJ |
Dr. Mendelsohn is extremely thorough and knowledgeable, and is a top tier surgeon. He is exceptionally caring and spends a lot of time explaining what is going on with your eye health. He's worth traveling to.
in Miami, FL |
Dr Mendelsohn is kind, compassionate and very thorough! I know that any concerns I have will always be addressed. I have had to schedule emergency appointments more than once and he always fits me in immediately. I always know with Dr Mendelsohn when I need to be concerned about my eye vision as he always updates me completely and answers all my questions. I have been a patient of Dr Mendelsohn for over twenty years and he is the only person I trust completely with my eyes
in Hollywood, FL |
Dr. Mendelsohn is a great ophthalmologist. Very careful, thorough, and caring. The entire office works quickly and efficiently - I don't spend much time waiting when I go, but he does spend a lot of time with me. I've been very pleased with my experience with him, and I'd recommend him to anyone.
in Hollywood, FL |
Dr. Mendelsohn is the BEST!!!! He takes care of three generations of my family and saw my friend in an emergency on a Sunday Morning. He explains what is happening clearly and patiently. He is very available and responsive to concerns. His staff are lovely. His hours are great; the after work hours help with my husbands hectic work schedule. Surgically, he has the best reputation and I have the results to go with it. Thank you Dr. Mendelsohn!
Have you seen Dr. Alan D. Mendelsohn, MD?
Are you Dr. Mendelsohn?

Compare Dr. Mendelsohn

Dr. Mendelsohn says...

Alan D. Mendelsohn, M.D. has been an ophthalmologist in Broward County for twenty-four years. He attended Northwestern University's Honors Program in Medical Education and Northwestern University Medical School, where he also completed his residency training in Ophthalmology. At the completion of this training, he was honored by the prestigious Heed Ophthalmic Foundation as one of the ten most outstanding graduating ophthalmologists in the United States.

Dr. Mendelsohn and his family moved to South Florida in 1986, where he completed a Fellowship at the renowned Bascom Palmer Eye Institute in corneal transplant surgery and corneal refractive surgery. While practicing in South Florida, he has been actively engaged in organized medicine at the local, state, and national levels. He served as president of the Florida Society of Ophthalmology in 1996 and led that organization's public policy efforts for more than a decade.

Dr. Mendelsohn is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. Dr. Mendelsohn has also held numerous leadership positions in both the Broward County Medical Association and in the Florida Medical Association. He has received several national awards for his efforts and for his leadership from such organizations as the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the Florida Medical Association, and the Florida Society of Ophthalmology.

Dr. Mendelsohn has written articles for numerous scientific publications and has presented his findings at international and national ophthalmology society conferences.

Dr. Mendelsohn's Care Philosophy

We know how important it is to provide families with the best health care possible.  Eye Surgeons and Consultants is one of the most respected ophthalmology groups in South Florida.  Our physician, Alan Mendelsohn, MD provides up-to-date eye care services with state of the art equipment in a beautiful and relaxing office setting.  We are proud of our dedicated and caring team of professionals that make up our office staff, each member having the common goal of providing the best eye care possible.

Dr. Mendelsohn says...

Dr. Mendelsohn offers comprehensive and multi-specialty ophthalmology services for the entire family. Our practice includes complete eye examinations, contacts, glasses, diabetic eye exams, glaucoma exams, small incision cataract surgery, laser assisted cataract surgery, multifocal lenses, toric intraocular lenses, and macular degeneration exams. By staying on top of the latest technology and surgical techniques, we proudly provide our patients with the most accurate ocular diagnosis as well as outstanding surgical outcomes.

Dr. Mendelsohn says...

Dr. Mendelsohn specializes in No-Stitch cataract surgery, multifocal intraocular lenses, which minimize or eliminate the necessity of eyeglasses following cataract surgery, and toric intraocular lenses which greatly reduce astigmatism, thereby greatly enhancing distance vision. He is certified and has expertise in the laser assisted cataract surgery which results in a markedly enhanced quality of vision and overall outcome.

Dr. Mendelsohn's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Ophthalmology
  •  No board certification on record with Healthgrades
  •  Sanctions found
  •  Board actions found

Dr. Mendelsohn has received 3 sanctions

• Disciplinary action in another state (3/22/2016)
    • Action Taken: Probation
    • Summary: Please reference the following Document
    • Documentation: Download here (PDF)
    • State: Pennsylvania
    • Disciplinary action in another state (2/28/2012)
    • Action Taken: Suspension
    • Summary: Dr. Alan David Mendelsohn; License # MD034956E

Nature of Complaint:

Conviction/Disciplinary action taken in another state.

Action Taken:

The Pennsylvania Board of Medicine has indefinitely suspended the physician's license and has imposed a civil penalty in the amount of $10,000.00.

• State: Pennsylvania
    • Disciplinary action in another state (2/24/2012)
    • Action Taken: Probation
    • Summary: Mendelsohn, Alan D MD License # 036 068552

Nature of Complaint

The physician has been disciplined by the State of Florida.

Action Taken

The Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, Division of Professional Regulation has placed the physician’s Illinois physician and surgeon license on Probation for a period of three years, ending February 24, 2015.

• State: Illinois
    Board Action

Dr. Mendelsohn has 1 board action

• Felony conviction (12/16/2011)
    • Action Taken: Agreed Order with Terms and Conditions
    • Summary: Please reference the following Document
    • Documentation: Download here (PDF)
    • State: Florida

University Miami Bascom Palmer Eye I

Completed in 1987

Northwestern Center Feinberg School of Medicine

Graduated in 1980

Dr. Mendelsohn does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Mendelsohn and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Ophthalmology