Vitreoretinal Disease & Surgery  |
Dr. Alan Kimura, MD
Dr. Kimura is a native of Chicago, IL. After completing subspecialty fellowship training in vitreoretinal diseases and surgery in 1989 at the University of Iowa, he accepted an offer to join the faculty. Dr. Kimura obtained additional training in retinal vascular diseases, followed by electrophysiology fellowship training. He directed the Ocular Electrophysiology Laboratory, studying inherited retinal diseases, and was the Vitreoretinal Fellowship Director as a tenured professor at the University of Iowa. After 10 years in academia, Dr. Kimura's career turned to private practice in Denver, and he has been in private practice the last 10 years. Continuing his research pursuits, he is a co-investigator in the dozen active studies conducted through the practice and continues to contribute to scientific literature, having published 65 papers and eight book chapters. As Medical Chair in Denver for the Foundation Fighting Blindness, Dr. Kimura continues to work with industry, private institutions and his community to keep the practice vibrant and at the forefront. One of a handful of American Board of Ophthalmology oral board examiners in the Western states, Dr. Kimura stays current by attending meetings throughout the year and teaching at the University of Colorado with a clinical appointment. Dr. Kimura is single and continues to travel internationally, enjoying both expeditions in remote areas and discovering the culture of Europe's cities. He enjoys the variety of outdoor activities that living in Colorado's mountains affords.

Colorado Retina Associates

8101 E Lowry Blvd Ste 210

Denver, CO 80230

• Cofinity
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
  • Health Net
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • MedHealthInsurance
  • National Elevator

Learn about Dr. Kimura

The mission of Colorado Retina Associates is to provide state-of-the-art, safe and effective retina care, knowing that compassion is equally important in the care of our patients.

Dr. Kimura's Experience

Dr. Kimura's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:
  • Specializes in Vitreoretinal Disease & Surgery

• Cataract
  • Chorioretinitis
  • Degenerative Disorders of Globe
  • Diabetic Eye Disease
  • Diabetic Macular Edema (DME)
  • Diabetic Retinopathy
  • Retinal Hemorrhage
  • Retinal Neovascularization
  • Retinal Telangiectasia
  • Retinal Vein Occlusion
  • Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP)
  • Senile Cataracts
  • Vitreous Hemorrhage
  • Wet Age-Related Macular Degeneration

• Eye Surgery
  • Repair of Retinal Detachment or Retinal Tear
  • Vitrectomy (incl. Macular Hole Repair)
  • Vitreoretinal Surgery

No malpractice history found for Colorado.

• University of Michigan / Ann Arbor
  • U Iowa Hosps Clins
    Fellowship Hospital | Completed 1989
  • Johns Hopkins School Of Public Health
    Other Education | Completed 2013

Dr. Kimura has no media or publications listed.

Dr. Kimura does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Kimura and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your profile.

Dr. Kimura's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Kimura to family and friends
3.0
Dr. Kimura's Performance
in Morrison, CO |
I was referred to Dr. Kimura through my eye physician for my 12 year daughter who is showing the initial signs of RP. After reading some of the reviews on here I was very hesitant on going to Dr. Kimura for her first appointment. I could not have been more wrong! I was very impressed with Dr. Kimura! He was very patient with my daughter and kind to her. He was very informative and took his time explaining everything to us. He was very encouraging and positive. I would recommend him to everyone!
Denver, CO |
PLEASE DO NOT GO TO THIS DOCTOR. I am a nurse and I was taking my mom to get injections in her eye. He yelled at her while she was crying because she didn't want the injection due to a reaction. He was rude to his staff. Didn't read the chart or have knowledge about her case at multiple appointments. Missed a bleed in her eye that was found at mayo clinic after multiple appointments. When she stated she was having trouble seeing, he seemed not to care. He is after insurance money .BEWARE
in Denver |
I was recently diagnosed with Retinitis pigmentosa. This means that I am going blind. I am young and this is terrifying and his advice was to be positive and have a laté. I understand some people are terrible about handling the emotions of others, but when you tell a twenty something they are going blind you would think you would be more prepared. Also I have been waiting 4 months for genetic testing, and they just told I have to wait until next year. 0 follow through. He doesn't care at all
in Denver, CO |
I have seen him 3 times. I do not have severe eye problems, simply bad floaters. He puts me off, is not respectful, speaks rudely to his scriber and generally plays word games with me. I can not seem to get any direct answers from him. I'm not sure what is going on. He was not satisfied with the glaucoma test from my optometrist and is now sending me to another specialist, without any evidence of glaucoma. it is difficult to communicate with him.
in Denver, CO |
Dr. Kimura has been treating me for many years. I have always felt so warm in his office with his staff and with Dr. Kimura. He takes the time to listen to my concerns and explains in detail (meat and potatoes type of way) about my condition and how he is treating it. There are times I know I am asking so many questions that any other doctor my get tired of answering and he smiles and laughs with me while we work together to help my eyes.
Denver, CO |
I had visited Dr. Kimura for his opinion for my left eye which has no vision because of matured cataract and detached retina. My opinion: Dr. Kimura does not seem to have sufficient practical experience of attaching detached retina. Besides, he is disrespectful, rude, bad-listener, and, his way is the only way type of doctor. I would not recommend him to any person for retina treatment.
in Aurora, CO |
Dr. Kimura is a direct no punches kind of doctor which is refreshing. Dr. Kimura comes in, does his detailed examination, and gets right to the point with his recommendations for care and next steps. He may appear gruff sometimes but overall I count on his professionalism and I have not been disappointed. He is the only man I trust with my retinas.
Have you seen Dr. Alan Kimura, MD?
Are you Dr. Kimura?

Visit Dr. Kimura

Dr. Kimura accepts 16 insurance carriers
    Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO
  • Cofinity
    Cofinity PPO
  • Government Employees Health Association (GEHA)
    GEHA
  • Health Net
    Medicare Advantage PFFS
  • Mail Handlers Benefit Plan (MHBP)
  • MedHealthInsurance