Dr. Akhil Jay Khanna, MD

Orthopedic Neck Surgery | Male

Dr. Akhil Jay Khanna, MD
Dr. Akhil Jay Khanna, MD is an orthopedic neck surgery doctor who practices in Bethesda, MD. He is 46 years old and has been practicing for 22 years. Dr. Khanna is affiliated with Suburban Hospital, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center and Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Dr. Khanna's Experience

See how Dr. Khanna's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Khanna

Dr. Khanna accepts 11 insurance carriers

Dr. Khanna is now accepting new patients

Check out the quality of care at the 4 hospitals where Dr. Khanna has admitting privileges.

Dr. Khanna's Reviews

Likelihood of recommending Dr. Khanna to family and friends
4.4
Dr. Khanna's Performance
Reston, VA |
We were unhappy with the back surgery that Dr. Khanna did on my husband. He had to go to a different surgeon a year later to correct it. We learned that Dr. K took out too much bone and put in too little bone graft, so there was no fusion. My husband was in severe pain for 6 months + after the initial surgery. Instead of trying to correct the problem, Dr. K sent us to a pain management doctor. Just washed his hands of it. Dr. K's approach to spinal fusion is highly problematic.
in Germantown, MD |
Dr. Khanna is a very skilled surgeon. I didn't have any hope because other surgeons did not believe that I would do well with a fusion. I have had 4 other surgeries to correct my back issues. After some information sharing, Dr. Khanna took my case and scheduled me for the fusion, but going through my abdomen instead of my back. I do not have any pain down my legs and I haven't been without pain in many years. I am so happy he was willing to take a chance on me because #5 was a success!
in Mifflintown, PA. |
I am very pleased with Dr. Khanna and his associates and the excellent outcome of surgery they preformed on my lower back. My pain is gone and I feel like I have a life again. I would recommend Dr.Khanna to anyone searching for answers to their spinal problems. I found him to be very informative and straightforward on what needed to be done to alleviate my pain. I am so grateful for Dr. Khanna and his team for the very professional care they have given me.
in Washington, DC |
Dr. Khanna was recommended to me by a doctors from the Cleveland Clinic as one of two doctors in the Washington DC area who I should go to for back surgery. The recommendation was correct. Dr. Khanna and his staff were very good. The surgery was successful and the back is better.
in Laurel, MD |
I've had pain on my right leg for more than 18 months and I saw several doctors and they told me the lower disc is pinching to the nerve that is going to my leg. Then they gave me 3 steroids which made it worst. After all this my neighbor's bestfriend refers me to Dr.Khanna cause she had the same issue and she had a successful surgery with him so I did the surgery with him as well and mine was also successful. So if you have the same issue that I had I highly recommend you to see Dr.Khanna.
in Ellicott City, MD |
One of the best spine surgeon in the U.S.A and arguably worldwide. He has performed in two occasions surgery on my spouse, in 2013 on cervical section and recently on lumbar. Both complete successes and first one complete recovery and 0 pains left. If you need spine surgery look no further and have complete faith. We also have seen other surgeons, he is best by far. Thank you and God bless you Dr Khanna Dan Petrescu
in Ellicott City, MD |
Best quality medical act. With Dr. Khanna you have the attention you need. He pays attention to every detail before telling you what he needs in terms of other investigations before telling you the diagnosis. If surgery is needed, he explains what to expect. The first time I went to him he encouraged me to look also for a second opinion and to do what I was more comfortable. I chose him and it was one of the best decision I ever made. The quality of my life became normal again. Thank you, doctor
in Springfield, WV |
Dr Khanna and his staff have been exceptional. He has been well worth the 3 1/2 hour drive. They made me feel comfortable during the entire process with my spinal fusion. They made sure I was aware of everything that was going on and addresses any concerns i Had. I will use him for any of my spinal concerns
Silver Spring, MD |
Dr. Khanna took time to explain my condition to me. He laid out my options and helped me come to an informed decision. I would highly recommend him.
in Damascus, MD |
Dr. Khanna is terrific. He is an outstanding surgeon and his entire staff is great. Staff is extremely helpful and courteous. Dr. Khanna is very personable and takes the time to make sure the patient understands his/her condition and what he plans to do. I would highly recommend Dr. Khanna for anyone facing potential spine surgery.
in Dover, DE |
Excellent work and follow up preformed by both Doctor and staff.
in Burke, VA |
Dr. Khanna is upbeat, knowledgeable and extremely professional. Office staff and interns are also top notch. I searched for two years looking for a surgeon in his specialty and selected him over two others. I would recommend him for any of my family members.
in Fairfax, VA |
I have seen many orthopedic surgeons before. However, it is only Dr. Khanna who really listened to my specific issues, validated information that I had previously received. . . and then offered a different, less invasive option that no-one else had mentioned. Dr Khanna is a professional, knowledgeable and caring physician who truly tries to offer insight into what may be the best viable option for the individual patient - not a rubber stamp approach (you need an total spinal fusion ASAP) .
College Park, MD |
I visited six surgeons over three years before choosing a surgeon for a laminectomy with fusion. Dr. Khanna is confident, not pretentious, a good explainer. Wasn't eager for me to conclude that surgery was the best option. It clearly was because it was completely successful and gave me my life back. My only frustration is that both the doctor and other staff didn't seem to remember my particulars from one appointment to the next. That's why I rated 4 on 2 categories, rather than 5.
in Bethesda, MD |
Dr. Khanna performed a lumbar fusion in October 20016 and I have had a 90% improvement. I could not be happier and am now pain free. Dr. Khanna's professionalism as well as his office staff provide an excellent orthopedic practice. I would highly recommend Dr. Khanna to my family and friends.
Fairfax, VA |
I am very pleased with the results of my XLIF surgery by Dr. Khanna. He thoroughly explained the procedure before and provided adequate follow-up afterwords.
in Arlington, VA |
I was suffering from lower back pain which was interfering with golf and life. I was referred to Dr. Jay Khanna by a spine surgeon friend of mine and things could not have gone better! It has been two years now (2/16/17) since the surgery and I remain absolutely pain free. Dr. Khanna is a delightful person to deal with, one generous with his time and one where the level of "care" is palpable. I would strongly recommend Dr. Khanna to anyone.
in Great Falls, VA |
I had back surgery with Dr. Khanna on April 11, 2016. I have made a full recovery and feel that I am 100% better than I was before the surgery. I would highly recommend Dr. Khanna as I could not have received better care than I did with him and his staff. Thank you so much for ridding me of my pain.
in Gaithersburg, MD |
I had a lower spine injury that was slowly deteriorating. Dr. Khanna advised me that if the deterioration continued, I would likely need surgery at some point, but that mine would be a very high-risk surgery, as I'm severely overweight. I very much appreciate his conservative approach in not making surgery his initial recommendation. When surgery became the only realistic option, he did a quintuple laminectomy and spinal fusion. I am now recovering splendidly, thanks to his expert care.
in Kensington, MD |
Did not perform the surgery he claimed on the Operation Report and falsely stated what hardware was used for the fusion. Subsequent MRI's verified he did not do what he claimed. I had to have a revision of the fusion by a neurosurgeon who found out in the middle of surgery that the hardware in my neck was not as reported so that the surgery was stopped to procure hardware. The spacer Dr Khanna used ground down my vertebrae, a screw spun freely and another pressed up against my vertebral artery
in Clinton, MD |
I will advertise for free for the service provided to me from Dr. Khanna, my back was in bad shape when I was referred to Dr. Khanna by Dr. Paul. Dr. Khanna and his staff coordinated my surgery and kept me abreast of each step along the way. I am home recuperating now and is doing fine. Dr. Khanna is the BEST, no doubt about it.
in Reston, VA |
I put his contact information on Facebook at the request of many in my congregation who also walk like I used to walk. When I entered the social hall, many came up to me and asked, "Who did it?!" I walked very much more smoothly than before the surgery and didn't seem to be in any pain. Dr. Khanna has a great sense of humor, has a great supporting team, and responds quickly to questions about continuing care.
in Rockville, MD |
In my case, he considered surgery a last option - very grateful for that. Once none of the other procedures produced the desired results, he fully explained, in detail, what to expect before, during, and after surgery. Upon seeking a 2d opinion, I was told he was exactly correct. On the morning of the surgery, he even took the time to explain the entire procedure to my wife and son - something very much appreciated. Surgery was a complete success. Highly professional yet personal!
in Bristow, VA |
I had an extensive surgery with Dr. Khanna. He and his team were excellent all around. His knowledge of the problem, confidence in his ability to correct it, and his ability to explain the procedure, side effects, risks and potential outcomes was exceptional. He spoke in layman terms allowing me to understand what would happen during all procedures. He was/is attentive in answering questions and keeps detailed notes after all follow up appointments. He shows care and compassion for his patients
in Germantown, MD |
Excellent doctor!! Dr. Jay Khanna performed my lumbar discectomy PERFECTLY. I would recommend him to anyone. The hospital and nurses are also of high quality. Thank you.
in Hyattsville ,MD |
Recognized among top doctors for spinal conditions I highly recommend Dr Khanna as the most knowledgeable surgeon for best results -I have-complete confidence as a Patient , after I saw him for my neck pain that was gradually radiating into my shoulder .Him and his PA John Volatile were both efficient and very attentive in referring me to the best providers for continued treatments, therapy and studies to resolve my problems. I thank Dr Khanna and his staff for being so caring and friendly
in Kilmarnock, VA |
Making the initial appointment was much easier than I would have imagined....took one phone call and 5 minutes. The staff is courteous, efficient and helpful. When running a bit behind scheduled, we explained our situation and a staff member who helped move us along. Meeting with Dr. Khanna was a pleasure. He asked many questions and thoroughly explained our options.
in Baltimore, MD |
Dr. Khanna and his PA were quick in assessing CT's and MRI's as indicative of a serious concern for possible metastatic cancer to the vertebrae and arranged for immediate surgery, fortunately before the bone had seriously impacted the spinal cord. Dr. Khanna's concerns were validated during surgery when he had pathology assess the tumor growth. He replaced the bone with a "cement" one and recovery was swift. His and his PA's responsiveness to questions have been swift. All staff: courteous.
in Columbia |
Like many that gave Dr. Khanna a positive review, I have nothing but similar things to say. It's only been a month since I had my bi-level ACDF surgery, but so far so great! The sensation in my arm that was gone for almost a year came back almost immediately (it's at about 80% now). And the pain around my neck and shoulder is beginning to subside day by day. Despite my decisions flip flopping due to my insurance, Dr. Khanna was extremely supportive throughout the process. Thank you for everythin
in Hagerstown, MD |
I have had two lumbar spine surgeries with Dr. Khanna, one in 2011 and one in 2013. Dr. Khanna is the reason that I am pain-free today. He is professional, knowledgeable, personable, and caring. I have referred several friends to Dr. Khanna who have also benefited from his care and most recently referred my cousin. All are impressed with Dr. Khanna's kindness and excellent care. Dr. Khanna's PA, John Volatile, is also wonderful to work with. Absolutely no regrets for choosing Dr. K!
in Hagerstown, MD |
Dr. Khanna is superb. He has a excellent patient centered personality. I felt very comfortable with him during my initial consult and had excellent results following my spine surgery. I highly recommmend Dr. Khanna.
Rockville, MD |
listed among top doctors for back surgery--results of procedure were as planned--complete confidence in ability perform this surgery
in Vienna, VA |
I first visited Dr. Khanna 10/14. I was having a lot of pain in my upper hamstring. He wisely ordered an MRI and discovered tendonosis and bursitis. Both were treated, I was feeling better and then had a bad fall. All the nerves in my legs were pinched. He suggested PT and meds to no avail. I had a back and front surgery 9/19/16. Opened in front with a cage implanted around my spine and continuation of rods & screws in back, all attached to 2 large screws in my pelvis. Feeling great. U R super!
in Bethesda, MD |
He changed my life. Fantastic surgeon. I've been pain free since I woke up from the anesthesia going on one year now.
Lewes, DE |
Dr. Khanna gave me my life back and my children they're mother back. I can now hold my grandchildren. I can play with them. I can walk up straight now, I haven't done that in 19 years. I am now going to go on a bus tour of out west. We are going to start living again and it's because I had the best Surgeon ever. his office staff is wonderful also. I have recommended him to so many people. I couldn't hug him enough. Thank you Dr. Khanna for helping me enjoy my grandbabies.
in Fairfax Station, VA |
I had a pretty severe double curve Scoliosis of my spine. Dr. Khanna did not minimize my issues or pain, nor jumped right to surgery. He was very through prior to moving forward with my surgeries, first one 8/11/16; and 2nd one 9/23/16. Both my husband and I feel extremely blessed to have Dr. Khanna in our corner, and I am feeling so much better now and even gained back an inch of height post surgery. You could not choose a better doctor to help you regain your life back than Dr. Khanna!
Frederick, MD |
I would not recommend this Doctor to anyone.We spent 2.5 hours until we saw him.He did not explain what he was going to do. He did not go over my MRIs or CTs with me.If you are going to have to have major complex surgery I feel the doctor needs to explain what he is going to do.I found the PAC very condescending. If you are overweight I would not go to this doctor.I felt the doctor/PAC did not want to deal with me due to my complex situation. He gives John Hopkins a bad name,not going back.
Bethesda, MD |
Dr. Khanna spent four minutes with me. His PA (very condescending) spent about 10 minutes staring and typing at the computer, asking questions that I was already mid-sentence answering. His PA incorrectly wrote down history and symptoms. In total, waited over an hour and half to be seen by PA and Dr. Khanna. No discussion of what prompted new set of symptoms or potential courses of therapy. Very frustrating.
in Burke, VA |
I am so thankful for Dr. Khanna and his staff for the wonderful care they gave me. Dr. Khanna and his assistant John explained everything clearly before surgery and were very thorough in follow-up visit. The office called the day I came home to check on me. Both Dr. Khanna and John were helpful, knowledgeable and very kind. I felt safe in their care and the surgery was a great success. The office staff were friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend Dr. Khanna to anyone needing his skill
in Annapolis, MD |
As a patient who has had a number of surgeries for a number of conditions in the last few years, i am extremely satisfied with my experience with Dr. Khanna. I found every phase in the process to be very well handled and professional by he and his staff. Not only was the office part informative and helpful, but the hospital experience itself one of the best I've personally experienced. A special shoutout should also be given to how his staff met all of my family's needs during our experience.
in Gaithersburg |
Dr. Khanna was my 4th opinion on whether or not to get my 3rd surgery. 3outta4 doctors(including Dr.Khanna) said surgery. I went with Dr. Khanna because of his demeanor and the way he explained things. I am now 4mos post op from a 7lvl laminectomy with fusion. I am almost pain free. I would recommend him, but if you also look at his pedigree (went to John's Hopkins and now works with them) you can see he is a sharp, knowledgeable man who really cares about his patients. Thank u Dr. Khanna
in Herndon, VA |
I am extremely grateful that Doctor Khanna performed my minimally invasive lumbar fusion this past January. The competency of Dr. Khanna and his team was inspiring, and I could not have been luckier that he was the physician that performed the surgery. The fact that I am walking and standing with much less pain has been a long awaited miracle. I know that he has probably perform many surgeries in a given year, but I want to let him know that I am forever grateful. With my deepest regards, MBS
Washington, DC |
I was seeking for second opinion for my neck/shoulder pain. I found Dr. Khanna via googling. He took his time to study my issues and explained to me what needed to be done. He clearly told me the risk and benefits of the procedure. My operation went smoothly. He has helped me to feel better. My pain before the surgery was 70-80% gone. He is an amazing surgeon.
in Mitchellville, MD |
I had Spine Surgery with wonderful results. Going from my pain being at 10, to 0 after surgery.I definitely recommend Dr Khanna to anyone who has spine problems of any type.
in Bethesda, MD |
I have had two lower back surgeries with Dr. Khanna. In both cases he provided clear explanations of the problem and procedures and sought to be as minimally invasive as was warranted. I always felt in good hands. My back feels better than it has in years.
in Gainesville, VA |
Performed a Lumbar fusion September 2015. Very compassionate about his patients and his work. Extremely great followup since fusion. Pays attention to detail.
in Manassas, VA |
Dr. Khanna saved my life! After two previous surgeries and a staff infection, my back collapsed (broke). Thank God I was referred to Dr. Khanna from Johns Hopkins because he was able to rebuild my back. In addition to his unbelievable surgical skills, Dr. Khanna also is tremendously kind and uncommonly good at communicating with patient and family. Dr. Khanna understands the importance of the mind/body connection which so many other surgeons do not. I owe Dr. Khanna my life!
Have you seen Dr. Akhil Jay Khanna, MD?
Are you Dr. Khanna?

Compare Dr. Khanna

Dr. Khanna's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Orthopedic Neck Surgery
  •  Board certified in Orthopedic Surgery
  •  Malpractice claims in Maryland not available

Dr. Khanna has no media or publications listed.

Healthgrades does not collect malpractice information for Maryland.

Why It Matters: Dr. Khanna's Board Certifications

• Ankylosing Spondylitis
  • Bone Cancer
  • Broken Neck
  • Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak (CSF Leak)
  • Cervical Radiculopathy
  • Cervical Spine Disorders
  • Cervical Spondylitis
  • Cervical Spondylolisthesis
  • Complications of Joint Prosthesis
  • Lumbar Spine Fracture
  • Nerve Root Injury and Plexus Disorders (incl. Pinched Nerve)
  • Non-Unions and Malunions of Fractures

Completed in 2004

Georgetown University

Graduated in 1991

• Hindi

Dr. Khanna does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Khanna and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Orthopedic Neck Surgery
  • Minimally Invasive Neurological Spine Surgery
  • Neurological Spine Surgery
  • Orthopedic Spine Reconstructive Surgery
  • Orthopedic Spine Surgery
  • Spinal Cord Injury Medicine

• Herniated Disc Surgery
  • Kyphoplasty, Percutaneous
  • Lamina Procedures (incl. Laminectomy, Laminoplasty, Laminotomy)
  • Percutaneous Vertebroplasty