Dr. Ahimsa Sumchai, MD

Dr. Ahimsa Sumchai, MD

Sports Medicine | Female

I practice old fashioned hands on clinical medicine and rely on a detailed history and experienced physical examination. I respect the dignity of my patients and enjoy my patient interactions. My practice also includes a telemedicine platform powered by VSEE.

A former gymnast and semi professional dancer, I graduated from San Francisco State University in 1976 with a major in Biology and Physiology/Pre-Med Studies. I was inducted into the SFSU Alumni Hall of Fame in 1985. A graduate of the UCSF School of Medicine Class of 1981, I attended my 35th Class Reunion in May of 2016. In 1982 I became the first African American woman to train in neurological surgery in the UC System, an experience I documented in my book The 21st Century Upright Woman, which details the evolutionary anthropology of the upright bipedal spine in the universal prevalence of low back pain. In 1988 I completed a 2 year postdoctoral clinical and research fellowship in the Department of Surgery Stanford University Hospital.My duties included serving as a flight physician aboard the Stanford Life Flight Helicopter and conducting research into spinal trauma and helicopter transport in conjunction with the Palo Alto VAH RR&D. I am published in peer review journals and textbooks From 1989 to 1999 I served as an emergency physician for stadium operations San Francisco Giants MLB at Candlestick Park. In 2005 I established Ahimsa Porter Sumchai MD Sports Medicine and Alternative Therapies located at Back To Sports 342 West Portal Avenue. My practice in 2016 is mobile and includes studio and treatment services at Laurel Heights Synergy Studio on Sacramento Street in San Francisco and Telemedicine services offered through two locations in the city. In 2011 I became the corporate owner of a health and wellness practice located in the Arden Arcade region of Sacramento. In 2016 that service was incorporated by the California Secretary of State as Golden State MD Health & Wellness.

Dr. Sumchai's Experience

See how Dr. Sumchai's experience matches your preferences.

Visiting Dr. Sumchai

Check out the quality of care at the 1 hospitals where Dr. Sumchai has admitting privileges.

Dr. Sumchai's Reviews

Help millions of people find the right doctor. Share your experience today!
    Are you Dr. Sumchai?

Dr. Sumchai's Care Philosophy

Dr. Sumchai says...

I am expert in the diagnosis and treatment of spinal injuries and degenerative disc disease. I have authored peer reviewed journal submissions and produced YouTube educational videos on the exercise prescription for low back pain.

Dr. Sumchai says...

I am expert in the assessment, diagnosis, management and referral of spinal conditions and use conventional and alternative therapies in addressing symptoms of neck, low back pain, spinal malalignments and neuropathic pain. From inversion therapy to myofascial release to the research proven benefits of the Pilates reformer, I can help relieve your pain. I have published in peer review journals the use of transdermal topicals including medical cannabis infused CBD topicals. I refer to the prestigious UCSF School of Medicine Department of Neurological Surgery, the Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Institute of Mission Bay and Fred Naraghi MD's Spinal Institute.

Dr. Sumchai's experience matches your search based on the following criteria:

•  Specializes in Sports Medicine
    •  No board certification on record with Healthgrades
    •  Sanctions found
    •  Board actions found

Dr. Sumchai has no awards or honors listed.

Dr. Sumchai has no media or publications listed.

No malpractice history found for California.

Dr. Sumchai has received 2 sanctions

• Other (12/15/2005)
      • Action Taken: License Reinstatement with Restrictions and/or Terms and Conditions
      • Summary: Please reference the following Document
      • Documentation: Download here (PDF)
      • Unknown (3/26/2001)
      • Action Taken: Surrender
      • Summary: Dr. Ahimsa Porter Sumchai: Surrendered medical license in lieu of further proceedings.
      Board Action

Dr. Sumchai has 1 board action

• Other (10/28/2011)
      • Action Taken: License Reinstatement without Restrictions
      • Summary: Please reference the following Document
      • Documentation: Download here (PDF)

• Adhesive Capsulitis
    • Ankle Sprain and Achilles Tendon Sprain or Rupture
    • Rotator Cuff Tear
    • Shoulder Impingement Syndrome

University Of California, San Francisco, School Of Medicine

Graduated in 1981

University Of California San Francisco School Of Medicine-General Surgery

Completed in 1982

University Of California San Francisco School Of Medicine-General and Neurological Surgery

Completed in 1984

Stanford University Medical Center-Department Of Surgery/Emergency Medicine

Completed in 1988

Dr. Sumchai does not have any memberships or affiliations listed. If you are Dr. Sumchai and would like to add memberships or affiliations, please update your free profile.

• Sports Medicine